Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 340766 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #3040 on: August 31, 2023, 01:20:58 pm »
Wouldn't Lime Street be the oldest considering a train left there to pass through Edge Hill?

Edge hill is older than Lime Street - Edge Hill first opened in 1830, and the line was extended to Lime Street in 1836
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3041 on: August 31, 2023, 01:44:21 pm »
Edge hill is older than Lime Street - Edge Hill first opened in 1830, and the line was extended to Lime Street in 1836

Reading up on it, apparently it isn't the same station - the 1830 one was closed and a new one was built to line up with Lime Street.

It looks like technically the oldest still-active station is Broad Green.
I say technically as it looks like there are still a handful of active stations dating from the opening of the Liverpool-Manchester Railway on 15th Sept 1830.
If you measure "active" from when a train was first there, Broad Green would be the oldest by a matter of minutes, as the train ran from Liverpool to Manchester. Although I guess there is a bit of a Trigger's Broom situation, as although it's still on the same site, I don't think anything of the original remains.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3042 on: August 31, 2023, 02:53:48 pm »
Reading up on it, apparently it isn't the same station - the 1830 one was closed and a new one was built to line up with Lime Street.

I say technically as it looks like there are still a handful of active stations dating from the opening of the Liverpool-Manchester Railway on 15th Sept 1830.
If you measure "active" from when a train was first there, Broad Green would be the oldest by a matter of minutes, as the train ran from Liverpool to Manchester. Although I guess there is a bit of a Trigger's Broom situation, as although it's still on the same site, I don't think anything of the original remains.

Are they roughly in the same place, if so then it would still count? Kirkby station for example was one side of the bridge when I was a kid and then they built the new modern station in the mid 70's on the other side, about 100yds between them
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #3043 on: August 31, 2023, 03:00:17 pm »
Same station according to this:

https://liverpool.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_90cfae83-117f-4590-9515-8acc10047bd6/

Preserve a vicar?   Ooooooer Missus.
Kill the humourless

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #3044 on: August 31, 2023, 05:03:59 pm »
Same station according to this:

https://liverpool.access.preservica.com/uncategorized/IO_90cfae83-117f-4590-9515-8acc10047bd6/

Preserve a vicar?   Ooooooer Missus.

Sound that.
Post it in the Liverpool photo thread.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3045 on: September 5, 2023, 02:00:43 am »
The space between a woman's vagina and anus is called the perineum, otherwise known as a chin rest.

I’ve also heard chode, and taint. As in ‘taint the arse, ‘taint the *****.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3046 on: September 8, 2023, 11:26:14 am »
From the Unpopular Opinions thread:

It's Gent in Dutch. And if we're being pedantic it's Gaunt in English. Shakespeare's John of Gaunt, the real life son of Edward III and father of Henry IV, was named after the place.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3047 on: September 8, 2023, 11:45:21 am »

The station building at Earlestown dates back to 1835 - it used to be the waiting room, but has been closed to the public for as long as I've known it (I lived in Newton 94-04)

Begs the question - what is the oldest surviving railways station main building still in use?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3048 on: September 19, 2023, 03:42:10 pm »
The first couple of Flintstones seasons had a completely different theme tune/intro to the one everyone knows.  They changed it to the popular one on the reruns.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #3049 on: September 20, 2023, 01:11:22 pm »
Figureheads were used on old sailing ships so sailors would recognise their ships as most could not read or write
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #3050 on: September 21, 2023, 03:21:12 am »
The Bad News band of the Young Ones crew were produced by Brian May. Sort of explains why some of their songs were actually good.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3051 on: September 24, 2023, 11:00:29 pm »
Emotionally Intelligent People Use the 'Law of 9' to Overcome Challenges and Beat the Odds
Story by Nick Hobson •
8h

Your new outlook on living a life full of feelings.

In the pursuit of success and happiness, one valuable asset often overlooked is Emotional Intelligence. It's the ability to understand and manage our own emotions while empathizing with others.

Enter the "Law of 9," a powerful framework employed by emotionally intelligent individuals as their secret weapon to win at life. They are able to shape their outlook and actions, unraveling the secrets behind their remarkable success and genuine happiness.

1. They see what's different about empathy
Empathy is a unique psychological state. It's differentiated from its sister state sympathy. Sympathy is merely the act of "feeling sorry" for another person. Empathy is much more interesting: It's a suite of mental processes that allows a person to recognize emotional states in others, to experience an exact match of the precise emotions and sensations felt by them, for the reason of wanting to alleviate the pain and suffering of that person.

Being empathic means, that if a person is anxious about an upcoming performance, then you're also anxious. You share in their anxiety. An emotionally intelligent person knows the unique properties of empathy.

2. They appreciate the various types of empathy
Empathy is represented at multiple levels in the brain (and body). There are two types. The first is emotional empathy. This is the ancient, hardwired type of empathy that resides deep in the limbic regions of the brain. It's the "hot" form of empathy that happens outside conscious awareness.

The second is cognitive empathy. This is the "newer" form of empathy, which is unique to humans (many other non-human animals possess the more primitive emotion form). This newer type of empathy is a conscious deliberate choice - what's often called perspective-taking.

The fullest empathic response recruits both emotional and cognitive empathy. High-EQ people realize this.

3. They are aware of the limits of empathy
Total empathy is by no means a panacea. Simply having more empathy, all the time, isn't the answer. Yale psychologist, Paul Bloom, argues that a sense of too much empathy can be "parochial and bigoted," resulting in "the world caring more about a little girl stuck in a well than they do about the possible death of millions and millions due to climate change."

There's a time for emotional empathy, and a time for more rational, emotion-free decision-making. Emotionally intelligent people appreciate the limits of empathy, putting it to use when the situation calls for it.

4. They understand the importance of emotions
Ancient belief systems engineered the notion that emotions are bad. The Stoic philosophers, for one, saw the "passions" as excesses of hedonism and the cause of our suffering and distress. To them, the virtuous life, the good life, was one that was free of emotions.

This couldn't be more wrong.

Psychology and neuroscience of the past few decades have indeed proven that emotions are integral to basic human functioning. Even high-order reasoning and decision-making rely extensively on emotions.

5. They know the reason for having emotions
Some might wonder, why do we have emotions to begin with? What's their purpose? Psychologist and scientist, Nico Frijda, once said that "emotions are for action." All of our outward-directed behaviors are governed by the rich tapestry of our internal emotional experiences.

Consider, for instance, that the original usage of emotion came from the Latin emovir, which means "to move." Emotions, quite literally, move us. A high EQ person knows when their behaviors are being swayed by an emotional state. More importantly, they have similar insight into other people's behaviors as well.

6. They get the nuance of emotions
Emotions go far beyond the basic happy versus sad distinction. Being emotionally intelligent means being able to draw the lines around the subtle differences in various feeling and affective states. It also means knowing that different situations will elicit these nuanced expressions of emotions and that each person will respond slightly differently.

The best way to think of these nuances is to see our emotions as existing within a circumplex of 2 dimensions: an arousal dimension and a valence dimension. With this emotional map, you can pinpoint exactly where a particular emotion sits. For example, a high arousal, low valence state = anxiety, panic, fear; while a low arousal, low valence state = gloomy, sad, bored.

7. They value negative emotions
Labeling our emotions as positive versus negative is a human creation. Emotions in and of themselves are neither good nor bad. They just are. The reason for having a particular emotion is because it helped our ancestors (and still helps us today) solve for some type of problem. All our emotions, including the negative ones, serve an adaptive purpose.

Anxiety, for example, is the brain's way of saying that we should be extra vigilant of any possible dangers or threats around us. And yes, this response can go haywire in some people, but simply understanding the function of anxiety can make it easier to accept and move on.

8. They predict how emotions will impact future behaviors
Much of our daily life is trying to predict what will happen in the future. We plan to make one decision over another; we anticipate a response from the team; or we mitigate risk to avoid getting burned on a financial deal.

The ordinary and low EQ people fail to account for the impact that emotions will have in the future. Which results in bad decision-making. It's a systematic bias called the affective forecasting error. High EQ people, on the other hand, are better at planning and predicting because they know an emotion will color the decision or behavior. Because it always does.

9. They label and understand the causes of their emotions
The cause of an emotional experience falls into one of two categories: incidental and integral. Knowing the difference is key. An incidental emotion is when a feeling that gets generated during Situation X carries over into Situation Y and begins having an effect. To the less emotionally savvy folks, this is a common occurrence and one that happens outside conscious awareness. For example, you can relate to the story of how a person's anger after a bad quarterly meeting comes home with them after work.

Integral emotion, on the opposite end, are the feelings that are caused in a situation and which a person recognizes are directly relevant to that one situation (and not any others). High EQ people can effectively label whether a feeling is incidental or integral and optimize their behavior accordingly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/emotionally-intelligent-people-use-the-law-of-9-to-overcome-challenges-and-beat-the-odds/ar-AA1hbNwv?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f4bd58624d904a9aa123706d917c5fdc&ei=23
Kill the humourless

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3052 on: September 29, 2023, 08:25:37 pm »
The beans used for baked beans, the famous British food, don't grow in the UK.

(At least they didn't, there's now a new variety that does grow here.)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3053 on: September 29, 2023, 08:34:26 pm »
Thousands on a raft.
Kill the humourless

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3054 on: September 29, 2023, 11:14:34 pm »

Brendan O'Carroll (Mrs Brown) mum successfully brought a case against Batchelor & Co for substituting cheaper peas into their marrowfat packets. She later joined parliament (1st female whip) and was credited with introducing female members to the Garda Síochána.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3055 on: October 3, 2023, 03:45:29 pm »
I'd often heard "Pumpkin Spice" being referenced by Americans both in the Media and on Social Media, and assumed it was, as the name suggests, pumpkin based.

I only recently found out that it actually doesn't contain any Pumpkin.
It's a mixture of spices such as Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, & Cloves - very similar to "Mixed Spice" in the UK.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3056 on: October 3, 2023, 11:59:36 pm »
I'd often heard "Pumpkin Spice" being referenced by Americans both in the Media and on Social Media, and assumed it was, as the name suggests, pumpkin based.

I only recently found out that it actually doesn't contain any Pumpkin.
It's a mixture of spices such as Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, & Cloves - very similar to "Mixed Spice" in the UK.

It's the spice you rub into pumpkin when cooking/baking

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/MkftR7Ihlko" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/MkftR7Ihlko</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3057 on: October 14, 2023, 03:25:55 pm »
I was watching an episode of Q.I last night and they had a bit about the time zone in Spain being moved ahead of GMT an hour by Franco in 1940.Move it back Fuck Fascist time!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3058 on: October 14, 2023, 03:27:41 pm »

In the UK they're not even baked

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3059 on: October 24, 2023, 03:59:48 pm »
Got a client called 'Naimh' and have just looked up how to pronounce her name and it's 'Neeve'.  Wtf Ireland.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3060 on: October 24, 2023, 04:23:07 pm »
Got a client called 'Naimh' and have just looked up how to pronounce her name and it's 'Neeve'.  Wtf Ireland.

That's an easy one ;D

There's loads of people in work that I have to ask how to pronounce their name

Leiontia, Aoibhinn, Turlough, Eadoian, Odrhan

Then there's the easy ones like Caoimhe, Niamh, Siobhan. We've got a Caoimhin which I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for Kelleher
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3061 on: October 24, 2023, 04:24:53 pm »
Looked up some of those.  Ridiculous.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3062 on: October 24, 2023, 04:52:49 pm »
Looked up some of those.  Ridiculous.
You daft racist   :P

Next door neighbour here is called Maeve, but she goes by Maevey.  (Bit like Dave and Davey, I guess)
But it appears on my phone as  Meadhbhie.  Even I as an Irishman has to draw a line, so always just call her Maeve on WhatsApp.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3063 on: October 24, 2023, 05:05:41 pm »
You daft racist   :P

Next door neighbour here is called Maeve, but she goes by Maevey.  (Bit like Dave and Davey, I guess)
But it appears on my phone as  Meadhbhie.  Even I as an Irishman has to draw a line, so always just call her Maeve on WhatsApp.

I'm so glad my Irish girlfriend has a sensible name that makes sense.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3064 on: October 24, 2023, 05:11:20 pm »
I'm so glad my Irish girlfriend has a sensible name that makes sense.

How can I be racist? Some of my girlfriends are Irish.

Aine is another one. Pronounced Onya. You what mate.

Although weirdly used to work with someone who was called Shinade - like they wanted to give her a good Irish name but couldn’t be arsed with people asking how it was spelt or pronounced so just did it phonetically.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3065 on: October 24, 2023, 05:16:31 pm »
How can I be racist? Some of my girlfriends are Irish.

It's the only reason we're together.  So I can make jokes about potatoes and have an out.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3066 on: October 24, 2023, 05:28:16 pm »
It's the only reason we're together.  So I can make jokes about potatoes and have an out.

Offline Saltashscouse

• Legacy Fan
  • Born and bred to support the Reds
« Reply #3067 on: October 25, 2023, 02:17:58 pm »
The Jock's can be just as bad ( not sure if that's racist calling our friends north of the border " Jock's " )

My nephew from Edinburgh is called Ruairidh and its pronounced Rory ,

What the fuck is that all about  :duh
Jan Molby once bought me a pint 🍺

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3068 on: October 25, 2023, 02:31:58 pm »
The Jock's can be just as bad ( not sure if that's racist calling our friends north of the border " Jock's " )

Yeah that's absolutely ridiculous.

Should be pronounced Rury.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3069 on: October 25, 2023, 02:46:25 pm »
Yeah that's absolutely ridiculous.

Should be pronounced Rury.

And just to confuse people even more, it sometimes is.  ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3070 on: October 25, 2023, 02:55:35 pm »

And don’t me started on the Welsh.

All those LLs going on.

A right shower.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #3071 on: October 25, 2023, 03:00:02 pm »
And don’t me started on the Welsh.

All those LLs going on.

A right shower.
Everton losses?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3072 on: October 25, 2023, 04:26:58 pm »
Did they just start spelling their names like that in the 1920s to confuse the Sassenachs?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline peelyon

• strangefruit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3073 on: October 26, 2023, 05:19:55 pm »
Don't laugh - but read today that the clocks changing aren't every 6 months - its 5 and 7 - never bothered to count before!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3074 on: October 26, 2023, 05:42:52 pm »
Don't laugh - but read today that the clocks changing aren't every 6 months - its 5 and 7 - never bothered to count before!

I wasn't aware of that either. It's not something I've ever thought about though

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3075 on: October 27, 2023, 08:44:46 am »
I wasn't aware of that either. It's not something I've ever thought about though
Oh it really bugs the shit out of me.

Summer time ends when the clocks go back about 8 weeks before the winter solstice. Fine, whatever, the whole idea is stupid anyway. But the clocks only go forwards in spring 12 weeks after the winter solstice, around the last weekend in March. So we have the whole of March, which is nowhere near winter, stuck on winter time. Change the damn clocks in the last weekend in February, you fucks.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3076 on: October 27, 2023, 09:40:59 am »
Winter ends on the first of march….

So it’s very close!

You’re more likely to get snow in match than December in the UK too
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3077 on: October 27, 2023, 09:46:02 am »
Winter ends on the first of march….

So it’s very close!

You’re more likely to get snow in match than December in the UK too
Snow's got nothing to do with the time the sun rises though. It's bright at 6.30am in the middle of March.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3078 on: October 27, 2023, 11:53:00 am »
Snow's got nothing to do with the time the sun rises though. It's bright at 6.30am in the middle of March.
True, but winter ends on the 1st of march by definition. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3079 on: October 27, 2023, 11:55:28 am »
Just scrap daylight savings time, it's fucking useless.