Author Topic: From "The Liverpool Way" - Brendan Rodgers - It's All About The Style  (Read 17542 times)

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
Re: From "The Liverpool Way" - Brendan Rodgers - It's All About The Style
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »
People should give Rodgers the same level of respect they gave Kenny.  Kenny is a club Legend and has earned the adoration and love which Rodgers has not done yet but respect should be given to all Liverpool managers.   Right now I see a lot on these boards not even given Rodgers that.

Just to reiterate my point, people often state that respect should be earned but, for me, respect and support are earned once you are named  the manager of Liverpool.  What must then be earned is the adoration, trust, singing the name, devotion, etc that comes with being successful.

People going on about Rodgers talking to much and constantly being negative about him and everything he does and says are not signs of respect.  Sure not everything has to be positive and we don't all have to sing the man's praise or buy his message.   But what respect should afford him is time.  So at least give him that.

I have to admit that I lost any respect and stopped providing support to Hodgson within 2-3 league games and the 2nd or 3rd interview.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »
Everything Rodgers has said to the media so far I see as positive, inspiring for the fans & hopefully the players if they believe in him.... but at the back of my mind I have the same nagging doubt I had last season when seeing him every other week on Goals On Sunday that he is where he is due mainly to his ability to sell himself.
Maybe, but let's remember this is a guy who told us to fuck off when we approached him and got on with his job. Hardly a masterclass in selling for any salesman.
Let's remember that he got the job based on what he proved with Swansea- not what he said he would do. So his product sold itself first- then came the words; and that after a thorough "fuck off!".

The other thing- we can only judge him by what we saw of his philosophy as he finally implemented it at Swansea. If he was a snake-oil salesman, we would not see that. We'd see promises, but not the product. In this instance, WE GOT TO SEE his product.

He has great selling skills, by the way and maybe they got him the job at Swansea, but he delivered. As I said before- we can only judge him on Swansea and so far, he's been walking the walk.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:32:38 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2012, 04:31:32 pm »
Office politics at its best. Clearly a man with a massive inferiority complex who is frightened of others and their ideas.

This is a man who has won nothing, has no track record to speak of but he wants to quash any other ideas or innovations. Frightening. Lets not forget those running the Academy are infinitely more experienced and successful than Rodgers.

He's the Tony Blair of the football world, all talk.

If when Kenny was sacked we'd have been told Rodgers was the man and he'd have total control including ripping up the Academy there would've been uproar.

Good God.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2012, 04:33:07 pm »
Good God.
You can smell the bitterness.
I suppose he has his reasons, but sooner or later, we're going to have to make peace with the past and move on.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:41:35 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline danielfonseca

• Clearly mad as a hatter who's gone mad with a box of frogs cracked up on SunnyD in a confined space and high on sherbet with no tea. Mad.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »
I am staying out of both Anti and pro comments, but my opinion on the matter is on the first page and post number 3 ;)

On a seperate note I saw a post which says rejecting the opportunity is not a classic sales tactic if you are selling  !
well from my experience and from the various training courses, sales and communication book etc,, you are always encouraged to take an opportunity away from your client, to plant "missed opportunities and the loss of fear factor insecurity onto the subconcious mind to drive up their appetite and get them wanting it more and more ".  Classic example will be in this case  BR (salesman) saying no to being interviewed to FSG (client) , hence the reaction of Fenway being unexperienced in Football would have been "curiousity to wanting to speak to him a bit more ". classic close !!  Experienced Investors are not likely to be closed by such tactic as they are believers in their Investment and buying decisions and most likely will stick to their original decision however , the subconcious mind will still have the same thoughts and emotions as say an investor with less experience because the convictions of both are not the same !
The same tactic deployed by BR say for example will not have the same impact on somebody like David Gill, David dein, Rick parry or any other experienced directors.

On a sperate note I would like somebody to give me Matt Dickinsons E Mail address from the Times as I would like to give him my "eloquent views" on an article this morning about a previous employee of the club , which I thought was in very bad taste and discrediting the man to his readers.
He even looks like a slimeball everytime he appears on the Sunday supplement, but looking like one and trying to influence a reading audience is 2 different things and its about time some of this journalist were taken to task about the quality of their writing, and that their personal opinions should not get in the way of balanced and impartial assessments !  People pay money to read this shit...!!!
"My methods have translated and worked well from Halmstad to Malmo"

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:23 pm »
On a seperate note I saw a post which says rejecting the opportunity is not a classic sales tactic if you are selling  !
well from my experience and from the various training courses, sales and communication book etc,, you are always encouraged to take an opportunity away from your client, to plant "missed opportunities and the loss of fear factor insecurity onto the subconcious mind to drive up their appetite and get them wanting it more and more ".  Classic example will be in this case  BR (salesman) saying no to being interviewed to FSG (client) , hence the reaction of Fenway being unexperienced in Football would have been "curiousity to wanting to speak to him a bit more ". classic close !!  Experienced Investors are not likely to be closed by such tactic as they are believers in their Investment and buying decisions and most likely will stick to their original decision however , the subconcious mind will still have the same thoughts and emotions as say an investor with less experience because the convictions of both are not the same !
The same tactic deployed by BR say for example will not have the same impact on somebody like David Gill, David dein, Rick parry or any other experienced directors.

I am sorry but that is just idiotic.  I don't really care about FSG and won't sit here and defend them left right and center but John Henry made millions in the markets.  His entire strategy was about separating emotions from any deal and follow the numbers.  To say that he was somehow swayed by some basic principle of you want what you can't have is quite stupid.

Offline danielfonseca

• Clearly mad as a hatter who's gone mad with a box of frogs cracked up on SunnyD in a confined space and high on sherbet with no tea. Mad.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2012, 06:12:54 pm »
I am sorry but that is just idiotic.  I don't really care about FSG and won't sit here and defend them left right and center but John Henry made millions in the markets.  His entire strategy was about separating emotions from any deal and follow the numbers.  To say that he was somehow swayed by some basic principle of you want what you can't have is quite stupid.

This decision was not based on any derivative or commodity that Henry is buying, he is looking to employ a coach for his football club, a Sport and Area with it that he will feel he lacks kowledge of and will not have the same conviction in making that decision.  ( Also please read the post again to understand what I have written and context I have written it in.)

You do not have to agree with my opinions, I am not asking you to but lets respect each others opinions without the need to lose class or insult each other ;)
"My methods have translated and worked well from Halmstad to Malmo"

Offline RedHandGang

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2012, 06:39:08 pm »
No point playing with style if you keep getting beat. There was a team in the midlands who we beat 5-0 with the best team ever assembled in Red who played football the right way and we all know what happened to them.

He does need time, but he also needs to be able to up his ideas and be bold to deviate if something is not working and ultimately adjust to handle the pressures of expectation at Liverpool. With the greatest respect to Swansea where he had continued on fine work from his predecessors, they would dearly love to be us and have the sort of history and tradition only the truly great clubs possess. The expectation at Swansea was relatively low and pressure to perform and succeed was moderate compared to what he has to deal with here and I hope if he can cope with the weight of expectation that he does succeed and take us and himself forward.

"One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant."

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2012, 08:09:07 pm »
Brendan will stick with what he loves as so far it has worked for him ...he is managing Liverpool FC after all just a few years after being an assistant at Chelsea. Of course its a slightly bigger stage and he may have to tinker a little as he can now shop for 20m quality players but at the same time still has to find the odd gem from within or on the cheap. Bit of balance be nice as it should be an unwritten rule that a manager should be capable of bringing through 2 or 3 regular starters from the reserves every 5 years or so. Brendan already has one I think.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Jocko

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »
You can smell the bitterness.
I suppose he has his reasons, but sooner or later, we're going to have to make peace with the past and move on.

I'm not bitter (I got the innuendo), far from it. I've just not been sucked in to the Rodgers myth nor have I seen anything in his 7 games to suggest he's a good appointment.

His comment about first 11, support players and young players has echos of Roy's A and B teams. If he's a success I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong but I don't think he will be unfortunately.

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »
I'm not bitter (I got the innuendo), far from it. I've just not been sucked in to the Rodgers myth nor have I seen anything in his 7 games to suggest he's a good appointment.

His comment about first 11, support players and young players has echos of Roy's A and B teams. If he's a success I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong but I don't think he will be unfortunately.

There is no ''myth'' though , everyone who watched Swansea on occasions have said how well they played last season , Laudrup hasnt had to change much hence the good start.

If you listen to the Anfield Wrap interview he is on another planet to Roy so how you can even mention him talking about Rodgers is beyond me.

Heres a thought , how about waiting before making judgements and give him a fair chance?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2012, 08:33:21 pm »

7 games hey.

If people were making judgements after that many games years ago then some of the best footballers and managers the world has ever seen wouldn't of made it.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »
I am wondering what some people were expecting to see after 7-games, and only 3 in the league.

The core of this team is the same one that has finished 7th, 6th and 8th in our last three seasons. After losing 6 or 7 players in the summer and signing only 4 (only two of which have played with any regularity), it seems some people still expect us to have a 100% record.

I know we haven't scored from open play yet but I think the majority of fans have been impressed with how the team has performed in most of the games and appreciate this will not be an overnight success.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2012, 11:10:21 pm »
I think he spoke fantastically well in that redmen interview.

I love his passion for football and he is a great communicator. What's not to like ffs.

Some people are never happy.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2012, 02:19:23 am »
Will the style in the academy,reserves etc really change that much from what it was though especially considering who they have had in charge there for the past few years

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2012, 03:10:15 am »
I'm taking a stab that some of the bitterness here is due to him succeeding Kenny in a less than favourable manner (although none of that has anything to do with him). Like a stepmother the father married one year after the loving mom was divorced - undeserved anger to the undeserving.

As they said, failing to plan is planning to fail - BR has a plan, he needs to be given the time and resources to make it happen.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2012, 03:41:30 am »
No point playing with style if you keep getting beat. There was a team in the midlands who we beat 5-0 with the best team ever assembled in Red who played football the right way and we all know what happened to them.

He does need time, but he also needs to be able to up his ideas and be bold to deviate if something is not working and ultimately adjust to handle the pressures of expectation at Liverpool. With the greatest respect to Swansea where he had continued on fine work from his predecessors, they would dearly love to be us and have the sort of history and tradition only the truly great clubs possess. The expectation at Swansea was relatively low and pressure to perform and succeed was moderate compared to what he has to deal with here and I hope if he can cope with the weight of expectation that he does succeed and take us and himself forward.

swansea beat us last year mate, but not only did they beat us they absolutley dominated us with a team that cost one poofteenth of ours. I personally enjoy his style, and love to watch the football that he deploys. I dont know if people realise that this form of football should really really benefit us in the european competitions. Its also a style of football that attracts players... such as Sahin, to choose us over other clubs. Its a style of football that liverpool should be playing, and have played in our ost sucessfull years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkDDmzgh-I

I believe we can expect performances like this again in a few years, but only if we allow rodgers time to develop his methods.

Shankly had a poor start, so did Paisley... just give the man a chance