Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 247897 times)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Re: Cancer
« Reply #2760 on: June 17, 2023, 12:00:32 pm »
Had my treatment plan - chemo starting this Tuesday. However, call from the haematologist this week…change of plan. I’m now getting tablets to take at home rather than infusion within the hospital. No hair loss and far less invasive. I’m really pleased.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2761 on: June 17, 2023, 04:00:33 pm »
Had my treatment plan - chemo starting this Tuesday. However, call from the haematologist this week…change of plan. I’m now getting tablets to take at home rather than infusion within the hospital. No hair loss and far less invasive. I’m really pleased.

Really pleased for you Fitzy I am sure it's a relief that you won't have to keep going to the hospital, it's so tiring when you are doing that. The best of luck with your treatment.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2762 on: June 17, 2023, 04:03:15 pm »
Just over 4 years since my dad passed away from pancreatic cancer my mother in law passed away this morning.  She was diagnosed with blood cancer about 10 years ago and it was manageable but they couldn't cure it (a lot of pills, blood transfusions).  Unfortunately over the last few weeks she declined pretty quickly and on Sunday they stopped all treatment.

It's so rough when you lose people to cancer, lost both my parents to it and it is always tough adapting to it. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law very sad that they haven't been able to do more to help her. I keep hoping that one day they will find an overall cure to all forms of cancer.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2763 on: June 17, 2023, 04:08:26 pm »
Fella at work, year younger than me has had a cough for a couple of months, stage 4 lung cancer. Hardly drinks, never smoked. Docs told him it's incurable and he's had it, without any problems, for 3 years.

That 7 in our department in 20 years and 2 in the team I work in.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2764 on: June 17, 2023, 04:16:47 pm »
Fella at work, year younger than me has had a cough for a couple of months, stage 4 lung cancer. Hardly drinks, never smoked. Docs told him it's incurable and he's had it, without any problems, for 3 years.

That 7 in our department in 20 years and 2 in the team I work in.

That's horrible news, it always surprises me how many people get lung cancer who have never smoked but I'm guessing others in his family perhaps do? So much selfishness around though people just throwing discarded ciggies away but not stamping them out, it's always annoyed me that.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2765 on: June 17, 2023, 05:21:36 pm »
Really pleased for you Fitzy I am sure it's a relief that you won't have to keep going to the hospital, it's so tiring when you are doing that. The best of luck with your treatment.
Cheers bud

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2766 on: June 17, 2023, 05:27:03 pm »

Good luck mate!
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2767 on: June 17, 2023, 05:51:54 pm »
Everytime I open this thread I hope to read some good news and am sad if there is bad news.

Best wishes to everyone. All the best Fitzy and sorry about your colleague Rob.

Had some good news myself this week, my stool sample was all clear. Just waiting for blood tests now
Passing a small bit of blood on occasion but have been like that for ages if I'm honest. Always some sort of stomach ache or pains and diarrhoea. Fuck knows what it is.

Deep down I was convinced this was the time. I lost my dad to this bastard when I was a little 8 year old lad in 1977. Only realised the other day it was the day after the St. Etienne game. I think subconsciously I have been waiting for it ever since. He was 52 and I am now older than he was. But am still here.

My old mum, whose 85 had something cut off her shoulder a while back. I think shes had enough as well.

Sorry for just writing some words, just felt like it for some reason.

All the best to everyone.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2768 on: June 17, 2023, 09:35:11 pm »
Everytime I open this thread I hope to read some good news and am sad if there is bad news.

Had some good news myself this week, my stool sample was all clear. Just waiting for blood tests now
Passing a small bit of blood on occasion but have been like that for ages if I'm honest. Always some sort of stomach ache or pains and diarrhoea. Fuck knows what it is.

Deep down I was convinced this was the time. I lost my dad to this bastard when I was a little 8 year old lad in 1977. Only realised the other day it was the day after the St. Etienne game. I think subconsciously I have been waiting for it ever since. He was 52 and I am now older than he was. But am still here.

My old mum, whose 85 had something cut off her shoulder a while back. I think shes had enough as well.

Good news the test came back clear. I really hope they find out what the problem is and can give you some proper treatment. It’s tiring when you are suffering like that and they can’t get to the bottom of it. Fingers crossed you get some better news soon.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2769 on: June 17, 2023, 09:54:49 pm »
That's horrible news, it always surprises me how many people get lung cancer who have never smoked but I'm guessing others in his family perhaps do? So much selfishness around though people just throwing discarded ciggies away but not stamping them out, it's always annoyed me that.

His wife and daughter don't but his sister smokes like a chimney.

My Ma smoked all her life, always in the house, fuck knows how much shit I breathed in as a kid and as an adult with my ex.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2770 on: June 17, 2023, 10:31:48 pm »

Cheers mate. Good news about the tests. Nothing compares to the wait. You take care.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2771 on: June 18, 2023, 04:35:35 pm »
On Tuesday I’m beginning my course of drugs. A doctor friend of mine was able to look into the cost of this daily tablet. It’s £6000 per month.

That’s obviously very expensive but the NHS will pay for it all.

It’s such a clear message as to the value of a free health service. Imagine if I lived in a country without publicly funded healthcare. Selling the house, remortgage, sell the car? You’d do wherever you could just to get the required drugs.

God Save The NHS.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #2772 on: June 19, 2023, 01:18:48 am »
Hi. Just wanted to update everyone on my situation. This is one of the best things on the internet.

In April I went to the doctor about swollen glands in my neck which had emerged in recent weeks. I was told that I may have lymphoma based on the physical presentation of what I was showing. A week later I attended the hospital and the haematologist indicated that I probably have lymphoma which was obviously very stressful. Although I didn’t have any symptoms I began to think the worst with the emotional distress causing me to be absent.

I then had a biopsy which was performed by a radiologist who also indicated it was probably lymphoma. I then attended an echocardiogram at the hospital which showed that my heart was in good shape which was the first good news I received!

That was all 3 weeks ago. Today my haematologist called me at 1pm asking me to come into the hospital as my tissue results were in - almost 3 weeks of waiting.

I was told by Dr Bitla (the haematologist) that I have something ‘a lot better than lymphoma’. it’s not lymphoma. It’s called CLL - Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia which is a slow progressing and low-grade disease that’s not life threatening but requires a course of treatment over a few months. The doctor gave me a hi-5 such was his confidence in my treatment. It’s weirdly very common - 1 in 200!! However it’s genuinely not life threatening which I’m obviously reassured about.

Very relieved given the circumstances!!

It’s been quite the month but I’ll live!!!!
My Mum has CLL and has been living with it for around 20 years now, she has regular check ups and they keep an eye on it but it doesn't seem to have progressed much at all.

However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2773 on: June 19, 2023, 10:48:37 am »

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2774 on: June 19, 2023, 10:55:37 am »
My Mum has CLL and has been living with it for around 20 years now, she has regular check ups and they keep an eye on it but it doesn't seem to have progressed much at all.

Good to know - seems to be the case especially with the modern meds. Cheers

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2775 on: June 19, 2023, 11:16:37 am »
Good luck with everything Fitzy.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2776 on: June 19, 2023, 11:26:38 am »
Good luck with everything Fitzy.
Thanks mate

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2777 on: June 19, 2023, 04:19:59 pm »
Good luck Fitzy.

Lost my mum last week. She had a form of blood cancer which eventually led to other organs failing.
The NHS kept her going and whilst she was frail, it was only really the last few weeks when her quality of life really suffered.

Mercifully it was quick in the end and now she’s free of pain.

A massive thank you to everyone who gives blood, and a huge thank you to the staff at Aintree who were fantastic.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2778 on: June 19, 2023, 08:53:10 pm »
Good luck Fitzy.

Lost my mum last week. She had a form of blood cancer which eventually led to other organs failing.
The NHS kept her going and whilst she was frail, it was only really the last few weeks when her quality of life really suffered.

A massive thank you to everyone who gives blood, and a huge thank you to the staff at Aintree who were fantastic.

Thanks mate. Really sorry for your loss.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2779 on: June 19, 2023, 09:11:09 pm »
Good luck Fitzy.

Sorry for your loss. May she Rest In Peace.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2780 on: July 2, 2023, 08:40:06 am »
Been on the new drugs for about ten days now. They were only successfully trialed this year. Take one a day for a year.

Already my glands in my neck and jaw have completely melted away. No longer looking like a balloon-headed oddity. Incredible cutting edge stuff with pretty minor side effects so far. Weekly blood tests is the only major commitment but I can do those in local supermarket car park - as they have a blood bus.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2781 on: July 2, 2023, 09:29:09 am »
Been on the new drugs for about ten days now. They were only successfully trialed this year. Take one a day for a year.

Already my glands in my neck and jaw have completely melted away. No longer looking like a balloon-headed oddity. Incredible cutting edge stuff with pretty minor side effects so far. Weekly blood tests is the only major commitment but I can do those in local supermarket car park - as they have a blood bus.

Sounds really encouraging Fitzy. Fingers crossed this will continue, good luck. I know they have made a lot of progress with drugs like this for cancer.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2782 on: July 2, 2023, 04:27:33 pm »
Sounds really encouraging Fitzy. Fingers crossed this will continue, good luck. I know they have made a lot of progress with drugs like this for cancer.
Cheers.

Yeah - huge strides in past decade.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2783 on: July 2, 2023, 07:01:46 pm »
Fingers crossed for you Fitzy mate.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2784 on: July 2, 2023, 08:04:12 pm »
Fingers crossed for you Fitzy mate.
:thumbup :thumbup

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2785 on: July 21, 2023, 11:43:53 am »
Finally some fucking positive news about someone at work. The fella who was diagnosed with Lung Cancer has been told its an ALK mutation, he starts on tablets on Monday that his consultant says will shrink the cancer. The survival rate is 7 years, which will take him into his early 60's, although his wife has found people in the US who are still alive 16 years later. He's just happy that he's getting a few more years of a decent standard of life.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2786 on: July 26, 2023, 06:08:59 pm »
Finally some fucking positive news about someone at work. The fella who was diagnosed with Lung Cancer has been told its an ALK mutation, he starts on tablets on Monday that his consultant says will shrink the cancer. The survival rate is 7 years, which will take him into his early 60's, although his wife has found people in the US who are still alive 16 years later. He's just happy that he's getting a few more years of a decent standard of life.
Great news. Also, who knows what breakthrough medication might be available in the next few years.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2787 on: July 27, 2023, 12:07:35 pm »

Wish you the best with your new plan. Let every bit of comfort come to you and a full recovery to rude health.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2788 on: July 30, 2023, 06:01:17 pm »
Wish you the best with your new plan. Let every bit of comfort come to you and a full recovery to rude health.
Cheers mate. About 6 weeks in and an incredible amount of progress is visible in terms of my glands reducing to normal size.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2789 on: July 30, 2023, 06:11:24 pm »
I am so pleased that everything is going to plan, Fitzy. Fingers crossed it continues even more in the months ahead.  :)

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #2790 on: July 30, 2023, 07:54:10 pm »
I am so pleased that everything is going to plan, Fitzy. Fingers crossed it continues even more in the months ahead.  :)
Cheers pal

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2791 on: July 31, 2023, 02:37:37 pm »
Cheers mate. About 6 weeks in and an incredible amount of progress is visible in terms of my glands reducing to normal size.

And Gawd Bless the NHS, as you have already said.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2792 on: October 6, 2023, 04:09:57 pm »
Found my wife unconscious on the floor Tuesday night. Results today shows that she has a tumour in her brain. We have two daughters aged six and eight.
We were also told that she will likely make a recovery after surgery, but you never know before everything is done. After reading through some pages in this thread, I realise that we are far better off, for now, than many others. But still, it's a difficult situation. My wife is usually the strong on, the one of us who keeps calm whereas I always think worst-case scenarios. It's difficult seeing her this vulnerable.

I'm not fishing for sympathy here, my friends. I'm not a prolific poster but I've been a Rawkite for many years. This place feels like home and I just needed to get this off my chest. Thank you.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2793 on: October 6, 2023, 04:11:41 pm »
Sorry to hear Dalarr, all the best for the upcoming surgery!

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2794 on: October 6, 2023, 04:12:31 pm »
Found my wife unconscious on the floor Tuesday night. Results today shows that she has a tumour in her brain. We have two daughters aged six and eight.
We were also told that she will likely make a recovery after surgery, but you never know before everything is done. After reading through some pages in this thread, I realise that we are far better off, for now, than many others. But still, it's a difficult situation. My wife is usually the strong on, the one of us who keeps calm whereas I always think worst-case scenarios. It's difficult seeing her this vulnerable.

I'm not fishing for sympathy here, my friends. I'm not a prolific poster but I've been a Rawkite for many years. This place feels like home and I just needed to get this off my chest. Thank you.

Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2795 on: October 6, 2023, 04:17:44 pm »
Cancer is a massive c*nt.

We lost our daughter-in-law to triple negative breast cancer in 2016 at the age of 39.
She left her three young daughters, our grandkids behind.
They were aged 6, 5, and 3 at the time.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2796 on: October 6, 2023, 04:21:33 pm »
Best of luck to you all dalarr 👍

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2797 on: October 6, 2023, 04:22:41 pm »
Best of luck to you all dalarr 👍
Seconded.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2798 on: October 7, 2023, 12:11:00 am »
Found my wife unconscious on the floor Tuesday night. Results today shows that she has a tumour in her brain.
All of our thoughts are with you mate, speedy recovery Mrs d.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2799 on: October 7, 2023, 12:46:23 pm »

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery,I hope you and your girls have lots of support.