Author Topic: Expectations for 2014/15 Season  (Read 96075 times)

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Expectations for 2014/15 Season
« Reply #440 on: August 15, 2014, 05:29:15 pm »
I love that not many of the journo's are tipping us for the top 4, let alone the title.

Id prefer be an underdog in any game, and to be wrote off before it even begins.

In my lifetime, some of LFC's biggest successes have been whilst we were the underdogs.

Really hope we hit the ground running and smash teams to bits this season again. I feel pretty confident that we will still score 80+ goals this season.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #441 on: August 15, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »
If United fans are predicting a title challenge, top 4 finish...then we're winning the title and going to the CL semis. ;)
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #442 on: August 15, 2014, 05:50:24 pm »
Relentless, rampant attack and  more clean sheets than last season, please.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: August 15, 2014, 06:05:27 pm »
I've said this time and time again, but the English football media are as blind to the failings of English football as the manager (Hodgson) and the FA.

What has this got to do with Liverpool being written off for the forthcoming season? Well, every single pundit is obsessed with INDIVIDUALS rather than THE TEAM. Just like with England, the media and the manager thinks that packing a squad full of the best individuals works, but very rarely is it a team. The obsession with individualism has creeped over into assessments for Liverpool's season, and mainly because without Suarez, we are doomed.

Well, the last time I looked, we did alright without Suarez when he was banned. What's more, pundits harp on about other teams who lost their star player such as Man Utd with Ronaldo and Tottenham with Bale. Yes, but those teams didn't score as many goals in their respective campaigns prior to the star man leaving, which means that their star player was more relied upon and as common sense tells us, that makes them more valuable to the team. While Suarez scored many goals, he wasn't greater than the sum of all parts - because it wasn't just Suarez who scored 101 goals. Meanwhile, the majority of goals for Man Utd and Tottenham in their aformentioned seasons did come from their star player.

Also, to emphasise how Liverpool is a TEAM, our bare-boned squad often experienced injuries/bans to all our star players at times last season. Rodgers accomodated the team accordingly, adjusted it here and there, and hey presto, looking at results on paper you wouldn't have the foggiest idea that we were often beset by injuries to our very best players. Many teams have the advantage of swapping like for like in an injury crisis - we had to improvise, and the successfulness of such improvisation shows how Rodgers has worked his men on the training field to WORK AS A TEAM. If we relied on individuals - like the press seem to think - then the absence of such an individual would have hampered us. It didn't though.

On the other hand, teams can benefit from their star man leaving - don't always believe the folly in the media when they say teams NEVER improve after selling their best man. Arsenal in 2007 were in a similar situation when their star player Thierry Henry left for Barcelona. Henry's final season with The Gunners saw them score 63 goals and gain 68 points - Henry of course was their top scorer. The next season saw Arsenal mount a title challenge (until what now seems like a mandatory spring breakdown) and many of the young guns taking more responsibility, with Arsenal finishing 3rd after being pipped above, scoring nearly 20 more goals while in addition to 83 points - a massive leap from the previous year. This is important to take heed because many players had to step up and take on scoring responsibilties without Henry. What's more, they did it successfully.

Now comparing this, the Borussia Dortmund match last week showed that the players who played behind Suarez were taking much more responsibility in getting forward. Henderson and Coutinho penetrated the Dortmund defence expertly,with  both assisting in well worked team goals and both scoring. The space usually reserved for Suarez will hopefully be exploited with our midfielders getting forward more and allowing to be more expressive - and if similarly successful as Arsenal, can provide a step up from last seaon. The old argument about not having Champions League football will rear its head inevitably, but pundits still fail to recognise we did it without any strength in depth at all. Now we have depth, and in addition to this, we have a young team, and many of our players are a year older, a year wiser and a year stronger. This is still a young team, and they haven't filled their potential by any means - another aspect conveniently forgotten by the Man Utd sycophants at BBC Sport (Guy Mowbray, Conor McNamara are two of the most biased United supporting lead commentators for example).

Getting back to the focus on individualism, it's this type of myopia within the English press that restrains any original and insightful analysis and, what's more, keeps English football in a state of stagnation.

Brendan Rodgers is well above the idea that individuals do not make up a team. Much will depend on how the new lads settle in rather than the loss of Suarez, and if the new lads settle in well, we will be stronger than last season.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:16:06 pm by mattD »

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #444 on: August 15, 2014, 06:11:10 pm »
"Expectations" is a tough one for me, because my main expectation is players giving it their best, representing LFC well, and me enjoying some exciting games.  With that should come plenty of wins and some sort of result of top 4 and good CL and cup runs.

I realize City and Chelsea are strong, and Arsenal look to have improved, but I am very optimistic we can mount another title challenge this year. Seems to me that save for the obvious, the key elements of our squad last year are more experienced/improved and likely to play better, and these excellent new additions will help with depth, tactical options and to iron-out some defensive kinks.  Even if SG recedes a wee bit, that's ok. Whatever team we put out should be quality and enough to defeat the opponent if we play our best.

So, I'm going to assume we continue the upward trend of Jan 2013-onward and we fuckin grab 1st at some point and don't let go.  Why not this?

And make some CL and cup runs (get out of group in CL and perhaps get to a cup final). 

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #445 on: August 15, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »
We cannot expect us to be challenging for the title this season, it's very hard. Man City have improved, Chelsea have improved and Arsenal surely have improved, United have a new coach on board...again.
Really? I keep hearing that our competitors have improved.
Take Chelsea. They have added Costa, which should be a clear improvement. They've lost Etoo and replaced with Drogba, which I think is a downgrade. They've added Fabregas to an already crowded set of attacking midfielders. In defence, they've lost Cole, Bertrand and Luiz, and hired Luis. That's a pretty significant downgrade. Behind Terry and Cahill they have very little depth now. Overall, they have added much-needed class in the offensive box, but lost a lot of depth in defence.
Arsenal is similar, stronger up front and thinner in the back, and ManU is currently extremely thin in defence. 

To put it another way: LFC is one injury away from having Lambert starting. On the other hand, Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU are one injury away from having to put FBs in the center.

I think ManC looks the strongest, with some margin actually. They've added some quality to defence and have kept all their best players. They won the league despite some pretty bad injury problems.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #446 on: August 15, 2014, 06:22:18 pm »
Even taking my red tinted glasses off, I can't comprehend this at all.
If there ever was a clear-cut case for media-bias, it has to be this. This particular thing here has been on my mind far too much today and that's because it's just so unbelievable. Not even in the top 3!? How da f...?

Even a blind man can see the bias. I still have to somehow wrap my head around that! It is just mind-boggling! :o
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:24:24 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #447 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:01 pm »
I love that not many of the journo's are tipping us for the top 4, let alone the title.

Id prefer be an underdog in any game, and to be wrote off before it even begins.

Hardly any that I've seen have us in the top 4. Suarez has gone fair enough, but it's still a little surprising how almost all of them think we're just going to be a poor team without him. It's almost as if they've forgotten that Rodgers was a big part of us getting to where we did last season. They've completely written him off as well as the team. It's not just in England too, most experts in other countries don't have Liverpool anywhere near the top 4 either. It's not like our philosophy or principles have changed.

We're going to surprise a lot of people, and a lot of these so called 'experts' are going to be eating humble pie at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:36:12 pm by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:51 pm »
Thirst for first

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #449 on: August 15, 2014, 06:32:33 pm »
I quite like the way we have been written off already.  :lmao

I think it's absolutely hilarious plus the bias towards united in the media has been going on for years and years so there's no surprise there bigging them up
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #450 on: August 15, 2014, 06:39:54 pm »
Take Chelsea. They have added Costa, which should be a clear improvement. They've lost Etoo and replaced with Drogba, which I think is a downgrade. They've added Fabregas to an already crowded set of attacking midfielders. In defence, they've lost Cole, Bertrand and Luiz, and hired Luis. That's a pretty significant downgrade. Behind Terry and Cahill they have very little depth now. Overall, they have added much-needed class in the offensive box, but lost a lot of depth in defence.
Arsenal is similar, stronger up front and thinner in the back, and ManU is currently extremely thin in defence. 

To put it another way: LFC is one injury away from having Lambert starting. On the other hand, Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU are one injury away from having to put FBs in the center.

I think ManC looks the strongest, with some margin actually. They've added some quality to defence and have kept all their best players. They won the league despite some pretty bad injury problems.
Add to Chelsea and United the same reason that is being used by some to discount us even from top 4 - Their "older" players are a year older.
Supposedly Gerrard being a year older will have a significant impact on us.  ::)
No mention of the fact that both these teams have old players who are yet older. ;D

Costa is a year older and should just about be embarking on his downward curve. He won't be as bad as Loldado, but I can see him not being as prolific.
Fabregas is older than last season.
Drogba's old(and injured).
Fernando's older than last season so he should lose even whatever "sharpness" he had last season.
The wreck of the Titanic is about as old as John Terry. No wait..!
Schurrle's old...
You get the picture...

Van Persie's old.
Rooney's older and should be continuing he's downward curve.
Michael Carrick is old.
Wellbeck is an onion.
Van Gaal is brand new, but still old.
Mata's older and is about to hit his downward curve(or he may yet sustain it a bit).
Nani's getting old. 28 is no laughing matter.
As is Fletcher.
For the life of me, I cannot see how this squad could be in for such high expectations.

I see 2 teams who are going to struggle for fitness, injuries and legs at one or the other time in the league. Two teams that are just about to start rotting- if they aren't already.
A lot of geriatrics in those 2 sqauds, yet we're going to struggle because Stevie G- the one and only, is going to be a year older!? Seriously? The only one!? :o
No mention of the fact that having quit England, he should be able to sustain last season's performances?
In my wildest dreams, I could not have made it up! :lmao
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:51:19 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #451 on: August 15, 2014, 06:45:08 pm »
Fuck the BBC, who really cares what they think. Dont forget, the majority of pundits kept saying that "Moyes is the best man for the job" even when it was clear he was out of his depth.

On the flip side they may be bigging up Utd so that if they fail, they can unleash another 100 articles on them

Don't worry about where other ppl place us, it will be our performances and results that will determine where we will finish
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2014, 06:54:19 pm »
Fuck the BBC, who really cares what they think. Dont forget, the majority of pundits kept saying that "Moyes is the best man for the job" even when it was clear he was out of his depth.

On the flip side they may be bigging up Utd so that if they fail, they can unleash another 100 articles on them

Don't worry about where other ppl place us, it will be our performances and results that will determine where we will finish
Damn right mate. It's good to be the underdog and I think we'll blow the shit out of these who had us as top-6 candidates last season anyway.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #453 on: August 15, 2014, 07:03:31 pm »
I expect us to be top 4 again this year (especially now that basically everyone else has written us off!), make the QF's of the champions league, and a cup would be nice!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: August 15, 2014, 07:10:52 pm »
I expect us to beat Southampton, and when the first goal is scored for the commentator to say "Suarez who?"

At 3-0, Ronald Koeman, welcome to the premiership
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: August 15, 2014, 07:15:42 pm »
I'm actually pretty confident of at least top 3 and even without another striker could see us hitting the 90 goal mark and conceding a lot less, as we'll see a lot more goals from midfield and in particular Gerrard and hendo, with stevie adapting to the holding role a lot better and possibly hitting 20 goals this season. If we get someone like Bony, we will be champions.
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline adamski29

• Kopite
    • limerick sliding wardrobes
« Reply #456 on: August 15, 2014, 07:22:04 pm »
Been meaning to get around to this. First things first! I haven't clue how we ended up being underdogs after such a brilliant season, but I like it. It will suit us better.

Last pre season I did something I knew too well should not be doing. I took a sense after about three or four games, that there was something different something you couldn't quite put your finger on. A difference in attitude or phycology or whatever, I had a strong sense of it even at preseason. I said it to my mate who's a good red and he admonished and kinda sniggered at my silliness at making any judgement on pre season. I knew he was right but I couldn't quite shake it. The first three game cemented in my mind that the was something very different this time.

This pre season all I was looking for was did I still get that feeling now that suarez is gone would the confidence have taken a hit was the belief still high.
And I feel we still have whatever it was that was present from so early last season is still there.

I never work of instinct and am pessimistic until proven otherwise, on any given game. Let alone season.
A product of the recent years where hopes where marched up the hill then kicked in the bollocks and droped of the cliff.

So for me to feel like this and to let my hopes and feeling get ahead of any real current evidence is unexpected and a little unnerving.
But I can't help it I think we are going to have a cracking season and as I am a Liverpool supporter at this stage my expectation has to be to win the title.
I think we will be good in any event.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #457 on: August 15, 2014, 07:29:42 pm »
Expectations? Minimum second again and a cup, preferably the Champions League... :-) Need to get to the knockout stages at the minimum though, that way we'll have even more choice in the next few transfer windows. Last season must not and cannot be allowed to be a one-off.

Along the way, rip the fucking arsehole out of the rentboy shithouses in both games (and more if we get them in the cups) as well as the mancs. Would love to see us show Sanchez where he should have come as well.

Come on you Redmen. To glory we will go.

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: August 15, 2014, 09:40:14 pm »
The pundits are laughable. They ask assume that Man Utd have strengthened. They have lost their captain and replaced an experienced left back with a child. They have signed a good midfielder and that's it. They are starting a new system from scratch and are miles behind us in their development cycle. There is no chance they will catch us. Ditto Spurs. So Champions League is safe. And I don't agree that the start is crucial. Our first three games are ones we list last season. Even if we lose them all we are where we were last season. We will miss Suarez, sure, but I think we'll find someone to score a few.

We will be miles ahead of where the pundits think we are. I think we will challenge again. I think we might fall just short, but it will be a blast
Xerxes MBE

Offline JAHBletch

• Main Stander
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2014, 10:31:23 pm »
At this point I would be very happy with top 3, qualify out of the CL groups and a cup run.  Anything else a wonderful bonus.  Always a bit cautious of starting to believe grandure, at least until after we smash Southampton  8)
Omar little;
Joe youv'e been so busy being devious you've gone and messed yourself up and got caught in the web.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2014, 11:08:52 pm »

We cannot expect us to be challenging for the title this season, it's very hard. Man City have improved, Chelsea have improved and Arsenal surely have improved, United have a new coach on board...again.

You missed my point completely mate. This was my full post below.

But, these things happened last year too. We weren't anyone's favorite to challenge for the title even when we had Suarez last season, but challenge we did. So why should the fact that we do not have Suarez change anything? I know as supporters it's hard for us to be hopeful and then get disappointed in the end, but the team we support is hopeful of it. For me the only difference from last year is that this year, we are going in with a belief... from the start.

The first para was a reflection of the comments made by most of the pundits and the detractors about our title credentials and the second para is what I really think about our title challenge. Guess I should have been more elaborate.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:50 pm »
Hardly any that I've seen have us in the top 4. Suarez has gone fair enough, but it's still a little surprising how almost all of them think we're just going to be a poor team without him. It's almost as if they've forgotten that Rodgers was a big part of us getting to where we did last season. They've completely written him off as well as the team. It's not just in England too, most experts in other countries don't have Liverpool anywhere near the top 4 either. It's not like our philosophy or principles have changed.

Often the ones that are predicting for us to be in the top 4 then go and spoil their prediction by having united listed as 2nd or 3rd.

Online Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #462 on: August 16, 2014, 06:01:38 am »
4th. Good CL campaign. Win one or both domestic cups.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #463 on: August 16, 2014, 06:20:48 am »

We're going to surprise a lot of people, and a lot of these so called 'experts' are going to be eating humble pie at the end of the season.
It just goes to show how little work so called 'experts' actually do. You'd think they'd be watching preseason games and be a little bit clued in about tactics and what managers are planning to doing. But then again even Gary Neville picked United to finish ahead of us as well and he's probably the most clued-in pundit, at least based on what he says on MNF.

Maybe pundits are instructed by Sky/BBC/PL to a certain degree to be a little bit controversial to create some story-lines. Everyone loves an underdog after all and the media might be setting their audience up to get caught up in another Liverpool underdog story whilst they still can.

Who knows though, maybe none of them just couldn't give a fuck and write down whatever first comes to mind. Its just surprising that not a single one even has us in 3rd. (At the risk of sounding like a cospiracy theorist), surely there must be some sort of agenda or massive bias if not a single pundit out of 30 puts the team that was a slip away from the title higher than 4th...

I also find it really odd that betting companies aren't raising the odds on United. I'm not a betting man but surely there's a tonne of money for them to make from suckering people in to betting on United with high odds of around 20/1, rather than scaring them off at 5/1, knowing full well that that shitty team isn't getting anywhere near the title this season... 12/1 odds on Liverpool is incredibly generous too considering how close we got last season.

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #464 on: August 16, 2014, 09:17:35 am »
My standards are the same every season -

Minimum 70 points, preferably at least 75.
Qualification for the Knockout Stages of the CL (especially given we'll be one of the top seeds)
If we have to go out of the Knockout Competitions then it should be going down to a top side fighting and not a minnow with a whimper.

More specifically this year I have been worried about the precedent set by Spurs last year - not because of Swares Soarrez Suares Luis but because having so many new players in can disrupt the unity of the team, especially with "big boots to fill". However, MattD's stirring post above puts my mind at ease - hey, let's go for 76... :champ
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: August 16, 2014, 09:36:20 am »
Minimum 4th. Out of the group stages. Final in a domestic cup.
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: August 16, 2014, 09:52:37 am »
League and champions league winners.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #467 on: August 16, 2014, 10:04:57 am »
League, FA Cup and CL winners. That's right, the treble.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #468 on: August 16, 2014, 10:36:43 am »
League, FA Cup and CL winners. That's right, the treble.

Aim for the ceiling and all that.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #469 on: August 16, 2014, 10:39:49 am »
Finish above The Bitters and the Mancs...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline payback

• is full of shit, shit and more shit, oh and chillies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: August 16, 2014, 10:49:14 am »
i'd be happy enough if we stay in the top 4, have a good run in europe and maybe win a cup. it's a given that we'll play some great football and score a load of goals. can't wait for it all to start again!

edit -  and to hear that champion's league theme at Anfield again will be fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:50:48 am by payback »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #471 on: August 16, 2014, 10:49:58 am »

I thought you'd have higher expectations then that.

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
« Reply #472 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:13 am »
Confident of top 4 finish......feel if we get one last signing of a 'kwalitee' striker to pair with Sturridge (see Reus is back in the gossip) we can go all the way. But nonetheless am happy with what I've seen.
Media pundits seem to think we might not make top 4, all based on Chelsea/Arsenal strengthening Man Utd rejuvenated with new manager, and Man City...but blind to Suarez going, we have strengthened too!!!
We will surprise people this season........although we scored 101 goals last termand Suarez had 30% of those, we conceded a shed load. If we can score 80+ goals this time, which I believe we can, and tighten up that defence...which after seeing Lovren and Manquillo last week, I think we can, I think we can push on again this season.
Lessons learnt from the run in last time will put Brendan and the team in good stead for this year.

Love it that we're underdogs, bring it ON!!! :champ
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline lostandfound

• Actually, just lost - might be in the wrong forum!
  • Main Stander
  • Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
« Reply #473 on: August 16, 2014, 10:55:53 am »
Pay no attention to what any of the pundit gobshites say. They may have played the game but they no fuck all about Liverpool (and anything else for that matter)

Offline ManchesterBlue

• Hologram fan with digital flag 'full members cup runners up 1986'.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
« Reply #474 on: August 16, 2014, 11:14:41 am »
Just wanted to wish you good luck for the season. Hope it's as exciting as the last one.

If I was a Liverpool fan, I'd be expected a top four finish. You've lost a world class player but even if you hadn't, buying a lot of players and getting them to gel is always a huge risk. Plus, as we found a couple of seasons ago, teams work you out and make it more difficult for you to play the way you want. To me, you're still a little light at the back and a lot will depend on how Lovren steps up to a higher level. Plus you've got the extra games to play in the CL this season.

However you've got an advantage over United, who've lost the three senior members of their back four which is why, unless Spurs or Everton do something spectacular, you should be back in the top four again in May.

CL is a lottery and the draw can make a huge difference to your chances. My worry would be that you'll find that teams play like Chelsea did at Anfield last season, sitting back and hitting you on the break.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:18:25 am by ManchesterBlue »

Offline lostandfound

• Actually, just lost - might be in the wrong forum!
  • Main Stander
  • Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
« Reply #475 on: August 16, 2014, 11:24:38 am »
Just wanted to wish you good luck for the season. Hope it's as exciting as the last one.

If I was a Liverpool fan, I'd be expected a top four finish. You've lost a world class player but even if you hadn't, buying a lot of players and getting them to gel is always a huge risk. Plus, as we found a couple of seasons ago, teams work you out and make it more difficult for you to play the way you want. To me, you're still a little light at the back and a lot will depend on how Lovren steps up to a higher level. Plus you've got the extra games to play in the CL this season.

However you've got an advantage over United, who've lost the three senior members of their back four which is why, unless Spurs or Everton do something spectacular, you should be back in the top four again in May.

CL is a lottery and the draw can make a huge difference to your chances. My worry would be that you'll find that teams play like Chelsea did at Anfield last season, sitting back and hitting you on the break.

Good luck to you too. Would see you take the league over the twats from London any day.

I think anything less than top 4 from us is a massive fuck up from Liverpool. I do see it being the same 4 as last year if I'm honest.

Offline tax_man

• Kopite
« Reply #476 on: August 16, 2014, 11:42:28 am »
Our first three games are ones we list last season. Even if we lose them all we are where we were last season.

First three games will be fascinating. Not to be too much of a pedant but our 3rd is away to Spurs which we won, but our 4th is at home to Villa which we drew. So in the first 4 games there's a real chance to get a jump start on last season. Having City and Spurs away in the first 3 games is exciting. 8 points from those first 4 would be absolutely fantastic. Then we kick on from there into a very manageable run.

Just a shame we're missing Markovic and Lallana for the start. Still, it's an exciting thought to think throughout the season Markovic/Sterling/Lallana/Coutinho/maybe Ibe and Suso can take it in turns to rise to lethal form.

That's where we'll be better than last season. 1-0 down at home to Chelsea, 20 minutes to go. We get a goal, we win the league. We can bring on Aspas and Moses*. This season, we can bring on Lallana and Markovic.

Edit: *just realised we couldn't bring on Moses in that particularly game for obvious reasons but you get my point...

Offline georgiejones

• Kopite
« Reply #477 on: August 16, 2014, 11:46:05 am »
If I remember correctly ,we were top at Xmas last season with Suarez missing the first 5 games,Gerard being injured for a while,sterling had only played a few games ,I can't remember Henderson being lauded in the same way he is now at that point and I'm sure we had other injuries too,but we were still top.i know Lus has gone but we've really improved our bench and also improved our weaker positions.If you also add to that a lot of our main players are young so will be improved this season naturally.baffles me why the lack of confidence from the media etc.i don't mind as I think it eases the pressure but as we are now I'm totally confident of top 4 and if we can get a decent striker in or even a loan or an aged striker for a season I don't see why we won't challenge again.

Offline ELEVENREDMEN

• Main Stander
« Reply #478 on: August 16, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
I hope we prioritise the league and cl and use the squad for the early rounds of the cups. On paper we have a tough first three games but I believe now is a good time to play city (injuries) and spurs (new style of play).

I can't see this squad (low injuries) scoring less than 80 goals in the league, so top 4 and getting out of the group in the cl with the cup runs dependant on early round performances from the fringe players. Looking forward to the season but we need another striker otherwise our season will be significantly impacted if Sturridge fails to remain fit

Offline tanvir

• Kopite
« Reply #479 on: August 16, 2014, 11:54:19 am »

I won't be happy with 5th.