Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 617918 times)

Offline AK1892

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2024, 04:48:57 pm »
First or all, We have to convince ourselves that the new manager is never going to be Jürgen Klopp and must not expect him to be like Klopp. No one is ever going to be like Klopp, he made his beautiful story, beautiful chapter and will go down as one of the best managers ever at Liverpool.  As I made this clear, what We can do and what Jürgen would want us to do is, to give the new manager a chance and not give him extra pressure by comparing him to Klopp. He learned us how to change from doubters to believers now it's time for us as fans to show Jürgen how much every word he has spoken meant to us.

That being said, for me, Xabi Alonso makes the most sense, but We're not even sure if he wants or feels prepeared to take such a big role and We don't even know what kind of vision our new sporting directors and owners have.

I don't know why people think Gerrard is not an option, he does have things to prove in England and in Liverpool and maybe is time to bring the local "kid" back home. Managerial skills? Yeah he actually built the team Villa have now and they're still in the title race, the only problem was, they did not give him enough time, the second problem for us is that st*pid song (which we can get rid of with him winning the league) and the third is that many fans didn't like him going to Saudi (which he can overturn by coming back and giving us the best he got). New contract can be cancelled if he decides to move to a new club, he may even have a clause.

As of De Zerbi, I don't know too much about him except for the style of play, he would be a complete breath of fresh air and maybe that is exactly what We need at the moment, I'm just not sure if getting a manager from PL would be such a good idea. Otherwise he has my full support in case we decide to bring him.

Zidane could also be an option, he did have a soft spot for Liverpool while he was still a player, he admired Gerrard so so much. I'm just not  sure how he would deal with our owners while he did get  money  he needed at Real due to FSG this will not be the case here.

Mourinho is free but that would probably mean FSG is digging their own grave due to his past behaviour towards Liverpool and also managing United and Chelsea. I personally don't like his style of play but it would be interesting on press conferences and on derby days. :-X

So if I was talking about Mourinho I can also talk about Rafa Benitez returning. He does seem to have an interesting way of landing big jobs. We know what he has done for the club in the past. I think he still loves the club and the fans still love him apart from his desperate brain fogs by managing Chelsea and Everton (being a double agent for Liverpool). I'm just not sure he kept a step in time with modern football and this could be a major problem.

... And plenty of more great managers, but don't expect them to be Klopp! Let them write or rewrite their own story!

YNWA!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 04:51:02 pm by AK1892 »

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2024, 04:50:47 pm »
Gerrard isn't an option because he's an absolutely proven shite manager. Let's stop speaking this into existence. If he had never played for us the idea of him would be laughed out of the building.  Alonso has done more in 6 months than he has in his last two jobs combined.  It's 'Shearer for Newcastle' levels of stupidity.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2024, 04:53:34 pm »
First or all, We have to convince ourselves that the new manager is never going to be Jürgen Klopp and must not expect him to be like Klopp. No one is ever going to be like Klopp, he made his beautiful story, beautiful chapter and will go down as one of the best managers ever at Liverpool.  As I made this clear, what We can do and what Jürgen would want us to do is, to give the new manager a chance and not give him extra pressure by comparing him to Klopp. He learned us how to change from doubters to believers now it's time for us as fans to show Jürgen how much every word he has spoken meant to us.

That being said, for me, Xabi Alonso makes the most sense, but We're not even sure if he wants or feels prepeared to take such a big role and We don't even know what kind of vision our new sporting directors and owners have.

I don't know why people think Gerrard is not an option, he does have things to prove in England and in Liverpool and maybe is time to bring the local "kid" back home. Managerial skills? Yeah he actually built the team Villa have now and they're still in the title race, the only problem was, they did not give him enough time, the second problem for us is that st*pid song (which we can get rid of with him winning the league) and the third is that many fans didn't like him going to Saudi (which he can overturn by coming back and giving us the best he got). New contract can be cancelled if he decides to move to a new club, he may even have a clause.

As of De Zerbi, I don't know too much about him except for the style of play, he would be a complete breath of fresh air and maybe that is exactly what We need at the moment, I'm just not sure if getting a manager from PL would be such a good idea. Otherwise he has my full support in case we decide to bring him.

Zidane could also be an option, he did have a soft spot for Liverpool while he was still a player, he admired Gerrard so so much. I'm just not  sure how he would deal with our owners while he did get  money  he needed at Real due to FSG this will not be the case here.

Mourinho is free but that would probably mean FSG is digging their own grave due to his padt behaviour towards Liverpool and also managing United and Chelsea. I personally don't like his style of play but it would be interesting on press conferences and on derby days. :-X

So if I was talking about Mourinho I can also talk about Rafa Benitez returning. He does seem to have an interesting way of landing big jobs. We know what he has done for the club in the past. I think he still loves the club and the fans still love him apart from his desperate brain fogs by managing Chelsea and Everton (being a double agent for Liverpool). I'm just not sure he kept a step in time with modern football and this could be a major problem.

... And plenty of more great managers, but don't expect them to be Klopp! Let them write or rewrite their own story!

YNWA!

Sorry, but even as the great player he was, I never believed Stevie would ever make it as a top class manager. He's done nothing since to convince me otherwise.

Offline AnfieldRD19

• Not worried at all about his manbuddy.
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2024, 04:58:02 pm »
Why would Ange P. be on the list? Can’t see us dealing with Levy.

He's got the charisma and seems to be quite good at man management. TBD if his tactics can win a title but Spurs looked like genuine challengers for however long it was this season. He's not my top choice but I'd be okay with him. At the very least we'd be fun to watch.

Offline AK1892

• Anny Roader
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2024, 04:58:36 pm »
Sorry, but even as the great player he was, I never believed Stevie would ever make it as a top class manager. He's done nothing since to convince me otherwise.

Gerrard isn't an option because he's an absolutely proven shite manager. Let's stop speaking this into existence. If he had never played for us the idea of him would be laughed out of the building.  Alonso has done more in 6 months than he has in his last two jobs combined.  It's 'Shearer for Newcastle' levels of stupidity.

You may as well be right, but in case that does happen, We still have to give him a chance. Sometimes you have to be at the right place to have success.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2024, 05:00:03 pm »
to be honest I think I'd stop watching football if Gerrard came back as manager, but, you know, that's a personal thing.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2024, 05:00:47 pm »

This. You could tell as a player Alonso had the potential for top level management. Gerrard nope.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: January 27, 2024, 05:01:22 pm »
Just had a look at the odds. Can't believe that Gerrard is the same odds as Unai Emery (20/1).
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2024, 05:02:05 pm »
Just had a look at the odds. Can't believe that Gerrard is the same odds as Unai Emery (20/1).

We'd never get Emery, he's at that goliath Aston Villa.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2024, 05:02:25 pm »
This. You could tell as a player Alonso had the potential for top level management. Gerrard nope.

What made you think that?

Offline AK1892

• Anny Roader
« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2024, 05:02:46 pm »
to be honest I think I'd stop watching football if Gerrard came back as manager, but, you know, that's a personal thing.

This is a bit harsh IMO. But you have the right for your own opinion.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 05:06:22 pm by AK1892 »

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2024, 05:06:56 pm »
Not sure at all. I kind of hoped Ancelotti could have been a consideration but thats of course never happening now. Spaletti is a possibility as well but does he ever consider leaving Napoli?

The obvious one seems Alonso but until he wins anything I am throwing him in the group along side Gary O’Neill and De Zerbi, possible talented managers who have won fuck all.

Spalletti is not someone I would touch. He did great that one year with Napoli, but honestly for someone with a 30 year history as a manager, he's not done a huge amount of an elite level - other than Napoli his crowning achievement is winning the Russian league with Zenith and Coppa Italia with Roma in 2007 and 2008.

An old manager in his last job without an elite history as a manager, who can't speak a word of English. I would avoid like the plague

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2024, 05:07:55 pm »

Mourinho is free but that would probably mean FSG is digging their own grave due to his past behaviour towards Liverpool and also managing United and Chelsea. I personally don't like his style of play but it would be interesting on press conferences and on derby days. :-X

YNWA!

That is the absolute hottest of hot takes.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2024, 05:08:16 pm »
WTF, I can't believe Scott Parker's name came up in this thread  :o

If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: January 27, 2024, 05:09:29 pm »
An old manager in his last job without an elite history as a manager, who can't speak a word of English. I would avoid like the plague

There goes my Zdeněk Zeman shout.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: January 27, 2024, 05:09:32 pm »
Spalletti is not someone I would touch. He did great that one year with Napoli, but honestly for someone with a 30 year history as a manager, he's not done a huge amount of an elite level - other than Napoli his crowning achievement is winning the Russian league with Zenith and Coppa Italia with Roma in 2007 and 2008.

At the moment Emery would be the most obvious pick.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: January 27, 2024, 05:10:49 pm »
That is the absolute hottest of hot takes.

It’s also not true, by all accounts it was Beale who was behind a lot of Gerrard success, when he left it all went to shit.

Gerrard is a sportswasher thats a no from me.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: January 27, 2024, 05:11:48 pm »
Good shout, nothing would change much playing style with the high line counter press style, pretty good tactically and his European exploits are amazing.

Does't seem to rock the boat either about budgets and likes working with a DoF.

I bet he'll be highly thought of by FSG.

Id be happy with him.

The guy basically has the same record at every club he manages. Great for the likes of Villa, Villarreal and Sevilla because that it is punching above their weight, but not so much for Arsenal, PSG and ourselves.

Also take a look at his career record away from home. He has a huge tactical flaw somewhere which he cannot solve. He's literally gone an entire season before without a single win away from home.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: January 27, 2024, 05:12:51 pm »
At the moment Emery would be the most obvious pick.

Definitely not, very little in his league record to suggest he's an obvious pick and even fucked up winning the league at PSG one time. He's a good manager but not that good.

Offline BigRedFeetBed

• Main Stander
« Reply #379 on: January 27, 2024, 05:13:00 pm »
I feel like i'm cheating on The Boss by posting on this subject but the decision has been made so I guess we have to look at it. I'm not sure if anyone has said this already and I may get shot down for even suggesting it.

Xabi fits perfectly, he gets the club, he gets the fans and the chances are he is already an idol or legend to some of our current squad. The thing that goes against him in a small way is the fact he is relatively unproven. We have 90% of a squad that are and will continue to challenge on all fronts. A few minor tweaks and I think we are there for the next 5-7 years.

In an ideal world, I would love Xabi in as the number 2 with a view to stepping into the main role in a few years. Succession planning of the Management much as we do with the players. I think the number 1 needs to be from the Premier League and the shouts for De Zerbi, and Emery are pretty decent.

I'd be happy with Alonso in this position if it is already in place but I wouldn't want it to end in the same way it did for Gerrard at Villa.

As long as its not a 'round the blocker' who believes he has what it takes to earn himself yet another early payday at LFC's expense.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: January 27, 2024, 05:15:06 pm »
Definitely not, very little in his league record to suggest he's an obvious pick and even fucked up winning the league at PSG one time. He's a good manager but not that good.

Big problem that in a situation where there are no brilliant managers.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2024, 05:15:32 pm »
I increasingly feel like this is either a horrible time to be looking for a new manager (because there aren't top ones out there) or Klopp's the best manager in the world and that's colouring my view.  I would never have been excited to replace Klopp, but I can't even raise the thought of someone taking over and being remotely enthused about it.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2024, 05:16:43 pm »
Steven Gerrard is coming no where near the job of manager of Liverpool Football Club. 

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2024, 05:17:03 pm »
I increasingly feel like this is either a horrible time to be looking for a new manager (because there aren't top ones out there) or Klopp's the best manager in the world and that's colouring my view.  I would never have been excited to replace Klopp, but I can't even raise the thought of someone taking over and being remotely enthused about it.

Yep. Thing is every candidate is not only not as good but is going to be way more boring.

Alonso is doing a decent job, I like Emery, O’Neill is that nuts left field shout. But again, all boring.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2024, 05:18:08 pm »
Unfortunately jurgens personality was a one off, just no one else like him. One of those lucky people who just has it, lights up a room, everyone wants to be around him etc etc. its prob alot of that which makes him the manager he is, players want to play for him. Everything he says makes sense inside and outside of football.
No one is going to come in and have his aura that i can think of.
Obviously we have to move on, but i dont see one or even 2 standout candidates out there.
Its prob 90% certain going to be one of the normal 5 or 6 names being touted about. Prob top of the tree if pushed is to give alonso a crack at it, could be good with his spanish links etc  and might be ok not working with a blank cheque like the bald fraud.
Big help would be getting anyones contracts tied up that are coming close to an end.
Just hope a few others dont decide to follow and look for a fresh start.
Why does nearly every summer seem like a big one for us, this one def going to be big with new manager and i think mo could be on his way this time.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2024, 05:18:56 pm »
If our head of analytics puts Gerrard's mangerial data into the supercomputer it will bust.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2024, 05:19:38 pm »
Leverkusen game in 10 minutes folks.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: January 27, 2024, 05:20:15 pm »

YNWA!

Because he's shite. And I'm glad he's done shite because I don't think I could have stomached a media campaign and ignorant supporters to bang the drum for him. As a follower of the SPL, he did okay at Rangers but his biggest rival was Neil Lennon, that says everything.

Any manager of any worth wouldn't go to manage in Saudi Arabia anyhow.

The only ex-player of genuine quality is Alonso, and that was the case for a long time. Went about his coaching career the right way, did not seek out top jobs immediately and was patient. Currently upsetting the trend in the Bundesliga with attacking, progressive football, arguably outperforming with the squad of players he wants, sounds right up FSG's street.

Gerrard couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag let alone us.

Nobody is a perfect fit - in Alonso's case it's more a matter of not having much to draw on his so far short managerial career -  but Xabi has earnt a return to Liverpool rather than any sense of entitlement.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 05:21:56 pm by mattD »

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #388 on: January 27, 2024, 05:23:01 pm »
the new manager is going to have a lot of interesting to players to pick from in the midfield

if bradley carries his form until the end of the season i can see the new manager playing trent in midfield
full time

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: January 27, 2024, 05:23:08 pm »
You may as well be right, but in case that does happen, We still have to give him a chance. Sometimes you have to be at the right place to have success.

He's only a young bloke so plenty of time for him to prove himself as a worthy manager for LFC. But plying his trade in the heat & sand of Saudi Arabia ain't gonna get him an elite managerial job anytime soon.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2024, 05:24:23 pm »
Yep. Thing is every candidate is not only not as good but is going to be way more boring.

Alonso is doing a decent job, I like Emery, O’Neill is that nuts left field shout. But again, all boring.

Then you go for someone who at least hasn't proven to not be as good, which is obviously Alonso. We have no idea what his ceiling is. And how you could find that boring god only knows.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2024, 05:24:28 pm »
And this is why I'm glad FSG are in charge of us, not some money rich blood drenched loon from Saudi Arabia, or megalomaniac billionaire who would undoubtedly make some stupid decision like hiring Gerrard for no reason other than he's an icon of the club.

FSG talk about processes more than a middle management conference, but that's the way to do it. Without it, I wouldn't trust it. Professional to a tee, it is some source of comfort that I trust them with this process not to make a stupid decision.

Offline AK1892

• Anny Roader
« Reply #392 on: January 27, 2024, 05:24:47 pm »
Leverkusen game in 10 minutes folks.

Yeah probably this will be most viewed game of Bundesliga this season 😁

Do We have Xabi's plane tracker yet?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #393 on: January 27, 2024, 05:25:47 pm »

He will certainly be getting a lot more attention now and it will be fascinating to see how he takes to that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #394 on: January 27, 2024, 05:26:46 pm »
And this is why I'm glad FSG are in charge of us, not some money rich blood drenched loon from Saudi Arabia, or megalomaniac billionaire who would undoubtedly make some stupid decision like hiring Gerrard for no reason other than he's an icon of the club.

FSG talk about processes more than a middle management conference, but that's the way to do it. Without it, I wouldn't trust it. Professional to a tee, it is some source of comfort that I trust them with this process not to make a stupid decision.

The only thing nagging at me is their history with the Sox is basically one good hire, one shit one (and I'm someone people have called an FSG apologist!).  I'd argue the same with us but I wouldn't want to upset any Rodgers ultras that might be still around.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: January 27, 2024, 05:26:46 pm »

There's never going to be a good time for ourselves and City to look for and appoint a new manager because we've enjoyed longevity under the two best managers of the last 10-15 years.

The challenge for us is going to be in identifying the up-and-coming managers who are going to define the next 10-15 years. There's risk in that, but it could also be an exciting few years ahead if we get the appointment right.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: January 27, 2024, 05:28:00 pm »

;D

No doubt.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: January 27, 2024, 05:28:10 pm »
If there's a left field shout i think it's Amorin, who's the Sporting Lisbon manager.  Won the league title for them in god knows how many years and plays expansive footie.

Offline JP!

• Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
« Reply #398 on: January 27, 2024, 05:28:56 pm »
If there's a left field shout i think it's Amorin, who's the Sporting Lisbon manager.  Won the league title for them in god knows how many years and plays expansive footie.

Yeah, think he's a good outsider. Does he speak English?  I don't want to seem Frottage-ish but think it's tough if you come over not speaking the language.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: January 27, 2024, 05:29:07 pm »
Then you go for someone who at least hasn't proven to not be as good, which is obviously Alonso. We have no idea what his ceiling is. And how you could find that boring god only knows.

Sorry i dont follow that logic,Emery is a good manager thats proven to win things. Is he amazing, no but he should be able to get us things like top four and we all know how important that is to the club. We dont know Alonso can do that.