Author Topic: Those chants  (Read 184049 times)

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Those chants
« Reply #920 on: April 5, 2023, 12:06:04 am »
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65184314

At least it's being mentioned. It's a start, I guess.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline simplyred84

• Holding back the years, but unfortunately not holding back the nonsense
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #921 on: April 5, 2023, 02:09:51 am »
Disgusting. But we expect nothing less from these classless, entitled idiots.

As an aside, Roma played Sampdoria at the weekend and the Roma Ultras were chanting racist abuse towards Sampdoria's Manager, Dejan Stankovic (an ex-Mourinho player at Inter). Jose pleaded with them to stop, that's utterly commendable, as discrimination of any kind is despicable.

Though, without being inflammatory, this is very much an open question... he was supporting a former player/friend of his. Do you think he would have responded the same way to that abuse from his own club's fans if the opposition manager was black man he had no previous history with?

There is a painstaking and continuous culture of silence when it comes to challenging abuse on all levels. I don't condone any level of abuse but those chants will happen year in, year out. It's not about being offended by those chants but collectively challenging abuse in general that will mute the idiots in public spaces. It's a societal problem that needs firmer condemning and sanctions when displayed.

Us being pissed off with these chants falls on deaf ears if particular groups aren't offended. It needs to be called out by external parties who are of no particular persuasion. Much like racism in football, you can't keep wheeling out black footballers to say enough is enough if the perpetrators are not being actively called out by white players who are publicly too passive in such instances.

PR goes out of the window when it comes to justice and equality for all. As I mentioned earlier, more robust language is needed to combat these types of behaviour. Merely saying "we find it abhorrent" or "we have a zero tolerance stance" blah blah blah is pathetic. We should be saying, "These chants don't represent all of the Chelsea fanbase, though through our research, our fans have never (en masse) had a tendency to abuse an entire city with their songs, they invariably show a level of fandom that supports the team. It is evident that fans of clubs like x/y/z seem to routinely channel their energies into abusing us". Can we address or have a conversation about that with the prime aim of eradicating it from the game?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: April 5, 2023, 07:51:59 am »
It is unforgivable from sky tv and it’s commentators to not call out these chants. They are complicit in broadcasting them into peoples homes on a regular basis. As we saw with Che Neville and the ‘peaceful protests’ tho, they have their own agendas.
However, with Liverpool and the clubs of the vile fans who are singing these songs, plus the PL, now openly condemning it and calling for an end to it, sky will have to be seen to be doing something.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #923 on: April 5, 2023, 07:53:04 am »
Never thought I'd see the day where real conversations take place about the chants.  Usually we just get whataboutery and both-sideism type discussions in the media regardless of how clearly audible they are from our opposing fans.  Not holding my breath just yet but it seems like the tide might finally be turning.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: April 5, 2023, 08:37:35 am »
It is unforgivable from sky tv and it’s commentators to not call out these chants. They are complicit in broadcasting them into peoples homes on a regular basis. As we saw with Che Neville and the ‘peaceful protests’ tho, they have their own agendas.
However, with Liverpool and the clubs of the vile fans who are singing these songs, plus the PL, now openly condemning it and calling for an end to it, sky will have to be seen to be doing something.

Why doesn’t Carragher mention it? Don’t get it.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #925 on: April 5, 2023, 08:41:33 am »
Chelsea fans are the worst of the worst always been that way, they’re the posh Millwall.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #926 on: April 5, 2023, 08:58:39 am »
Why doesn’t Carragher mention it? Don’t get it.
Because he only says what Sky allow him to. Prob part of his agreement to keep his job after the  spitting incident. 

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #927 on: April 5, 2023, 09:29:11 am »
I'm glad it's being talked about, and it's long overdue. One slight thing that bothers me though is I've seen multiple people on social media putting the "sign on" shit in the same category as always the victims. It's a small time, idiotic chant but it goes firmly in the shit football banter category imo. I don't think it helps us to be over sensitive about essentially harmless stuff like that when at the same time they're singing about actual football disasters.

Singing duh duh duh fuck the Tories 100 times a game is just a bit humourless for a fanbase that has always had wit at its core as well, isn't it? Why can't we have a go back?

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #928 on: April 5, 2023, 09:29:31 am »
The only way to stop it is to dock points off clubs whose fans are chanting.

It might not fully stop it but it would make the neanderthals think twice you would hope and make clubs take it seriously and start banning the knobheads rather than posting empty messages on Social Media
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #929 on: April 5, 2023, 09:56:09 am »
https://twitter.com/nohatechants/status/1642880015086891008?s

Forest fans deserve a nod of appreciation for joining in with this. Seems a class and progressive initiative.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #930 on: April 5, 2023, 11:26:06 am »
When do comms ever mention the chanting? Journalists maybe, but I almost never hear comms doing it.

Maybe they should start?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #931 on: April 5, 2023, 11:26:29 am »
That’s no surprise but what they’re doing is what every set of opposition fans do when we play them. Only fanbase I can’t recall any Hillsborough chanting from is Arsenal, Brentford, Southampton. Might be wrong.

You are, Arsenal fans have done it recently.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #932 on: April 5, 2023, 11:37:05 am »
1st thing that needs to be done is Chelsea and City have to have no fans at Anfield next season. They've both come out and accepted that the fans were chanting, so now we need to come out and say they are banned for a season, no excuses. Then we need to do the same for every club who does it home or away. Hit the fans where it hurts, that'll impact the club. Have a full Anfield with Liverpool fans, give the away section seats to loads of young reds from around the city instead

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #933 on: April 5, 2023, 11:44:56 am »
Just mentioned it on the comms thread. Incredible the commentators just sit there and say nothing:

Yet they will be quick to apologise for their microphones picking up any swearing. The chants are far more offensive to far more people than the odd fan screaming "fucking hell ref" within earshot.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: April 5, 2023, 11:47:19 am »
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65184314

At least it's being mentioned. It's a start, I guess.

Absolute fucking belter from that article:

"This season has seen a rise in tragedy chanting."

Screams volumes about the media and everyone trying to excuse themselves for the last few decades or so when it's been happening the whole time.

As others have said though, shite excuses aside at least it looks like the wheels are starting to turn on this now.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #935 on: April 5, 2023, 12:11:30 pm »
1st thing that needs to be done is Chelsea and City have to have no fans at Anfield next season. They've both come out and accepted that the fans were chanting, so now we need to come out and say they are banned for a season, no excuses. Then we need to do the same for every club who does it home or away. Hit the fans where it hurts, that'll impact the club. Have a full Anfield with Liverpool fans, give the away section seats to loads of young reds from around the city instead
I've said this previously and I stand by it. We have bereaved families in the stadium. Survivors in the stadium. Still traumatised witnesses in the stadium. Yet these vermin are allowed to turn up and sing Hillsborough songs en masse season after season. It's simple. Drag individual scumbags out where possible and ban them from retuning to our ground. Also, reduce away allocations by a third every season they continue with it. Three strikes and they have no allocation left, and they'll have done it to themselves.

We have hundreds of thousands of fans who struggle to get tickets, so let our own fans have those seats rather than those utter scumbags. I know some talk about needing away fans for the atmosphere, but these abhorrent morons offer nothing to the occasion. Many do not even bother supporting their own team, instead preferring to sing about human tragedy, bereavement and poverty all game. Reduced allocations for the likes of Chelsea, Man United, Abu Dhabi, Everton and plenty of others is long overdue.

The media, well they are a disgrace on the whole. Absolutely complicit in allowing this to continue. It tells you everything you need to know when a lone voice picked up on a microphone swearing brings an immediate on-air apology, yet 50,000 morons at Old Trafford singing about Hillsborough, Heysel and poverty goes unaddressed while the puppets on commentary bleat on about how 'great' the atmosphere is.

The game has encouraged all this with its apathy towards it. Now, the game needs to enter the 21st century and take some responsibility and some long overdue action.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #936 on: April 5, 2023, 12:25:10 pm »

100%....and great idea about filling the Annie with young fans...id rather the club give away seats for fuckall every game than allow it to be polluted by poisonous cnuts
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #937 on: April 5, 2023, 12:26:50 pm »
I've said this previously and I stand by it. We have bereaved families in the stadium. Survivors in the stadium. Still traumatised witnesses in the stadium. Yet these vermin are allowed to turn up and sing Hillsborough songs en masse season after season. It's simple. Drag individual scumbags out where possible and ban them from retuning to our ground. Also, reduce away allocations by a third every season they continue with it. Three strikes and they have no allocation left, and they'll have done it to themselves.

We have hundreds of thousands of fans who struggle to get tickets, so let our own fans have those seats rather than those utter scumbags. I know some talk about needing away fans for the atmosphere, but these abhorrent morons offer nothing to the occasion. Many do not even bother supporting their own team, instead preferring to sing about human tragedy, bereavement and poverty all game. Reduced allocations for the likes of Chelsea, Man United, Abu Dhabi, Everton and plenty of others is long overdue.

The media, well they are a disgrace on the whole. Absolutely complicit in allowing this to continue. It tells you everything you need to know when a lone voice picked up on a microphone swearing brings an immediate on-air apology, yet 50,000 morons at Old Trafford singing about Hillsborough, Heysel and poverty goes unaddressed while the puppets on commentary bleat on about how 'great' the atmosphere is.

The game has encouraged all this with its apathy towards it. Now, the game needs to enter the 21st century and take some responsibility and some long overdue action.

Couldn't agree more SoS. Great post
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: April 5, 2023, 12:27:53 pm »

Yep.

Here it is. The chants happen - the clubs admit it. They have a reduced/removed allocation instantly (without the opportunity to react pettily in kind). They need to produce an action plan for how they will address this, including fan education, lifetime bans etc. The following fixture happens - if there's no chanting they're allowed back on a trial basis for the following season - if the chanting happens again then the ban is extended.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: April 5, 2023, 12:35:43 pm »
Fully agree with this.
Great idea.

Hopefully now the clubs and the PL are openly condemning it, something will be done.
Some football fans are just despicable human beings and should never be allowed inside a ground.
A lot of Abu Dhabi fans are trying to convince people that their songs are not about Hillsborough, so they can continue singing them. They are some of the worst scum on the planet.
Banning all away fans for any club that doesn’t stop their fans who do this from attending, aswell as jailing anyone caught doing so, is the only way to go.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2023, 01:15:16 pm by JRed »

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #940 on: April 5, 2023, 12:50:10 pm »
Fan groups / Spirit of Shankly - and Head of club and supporter liaison Tony Barrett (assuming he's still at the club?) should be all over this ....... just don't see why the club continue to allow its own supporters to be taunted and abused at every home game - to the extent that its now become normalized behaviour for the majority of away teams fans .....changes are coming at LFC on the pitch.....off field business needs an equally big shake-up....

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #941 on: April 5, 2023, 04:52:58 pm »
I've just saw the back pages of the Daily Mirror and the Daily Star. Both lead with headlines regarding the tragedy chanting. The Star with "VILE, blues shame at sick Hillsborough chants" and The Mirror with "SHAMEFUL, crisis club Chelsea apologise after vile Hillsborough chanting by fans marred the draw with Liverpool."

It's a start at least. Hopefully momentum is gathering on this issue now.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #942 on: April 5, 2023, 04:58:53 pm »
I'm glad it's being talked about, and it's long overdue. One slight thing that bothers me though is I've seen multiple people on social media putting the "sign on" shit in the same category as always the victims. It's a small time, idiotic chant but it goes firmly in the shit football banter category imo. I don't think it helps us to be over sensitive about essentially harmless stuff like that when at the same time they're singing about actual football disasters.

Singing duh duh duh fuck the Tories 100 times a game is just a bit humourless for a fanbase that has always had wit at its core as well, isn't it? Why can't we have a go back?

Because someone will take it too far and it ends up getting the false equivalence and get lumped together as 'both sets of fans condemned for inappropriate chants'. It only needed a group to come back with the rent boys shout (which i'm assuming they didn't) and then that's the headline. Just get behind Liverpool and leave them to it.

Even in the City home game we had the muddied waters of "Liverpool fans throw coin at bench" or the City cup game where the absolute scumbag threw the bottle of coins which hit a girl. Our fans should behave and rise above it. United and Chelsea fans are probably the worst for genuinely enjoying being as horrible as they can be , that's the culture of their vocal support, we don't need to stoop to that.

Fuck the Tories is the only response you need to the poverty stuff.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2023, 05:02:41 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #943 on: April 5, 2023, 05:03:19 pm »
For the beginning of next season, the PL should just announce that any form of mass offensive chanting (i.e about tragedies, homophobic, racist etc) results in a sliding scale of punishments (fines, games played behind closed doors, points deductions etc). Outline what chants constitute such punishments and explain that it isn't 'banter'. It's not fucking rocket science and won't dilute any atmosphere. I guarantee by the time a club is forced to play behind closed doors or without any away allocation this shit will start to stop.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: April 5, 2023, 05:06:26 pm »
For the beginning of next season, the PL should just announce that any form of mass offensive chanting (i.e about tragedies, homophobic, racist etc) results in a sliding scale of punishments (fines, games played behind closed doors, points deductions etc). Outline what chants constitute such punishments and explain that it isn't 'banter'. It's not fucking rocket science and won't dilute any atmosphere. I guarantee by the time a club is forced to play behind closed doors or without any away allocation this shit will start to stop.

Precisely but there seems to be hesitancy to deal with these things head on, inexplicably.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #945 on: April 5, 2023, 05:38:06 pm »
Guardian report:

Football consults police and CPS in push to crack down on tragedy chanting

Premier League, FA and EFL part of group looking for solution
Chants recently heard at Manchester City and Chelsea

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/05/football-consults-police-and-cps-tragedy-chanting-premier-league-fa-efl
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #946 on: April 5, 2023, 07:24:25 pm »
Precisely but there seems to be hesitancy to deal with these things head on, inexplicably.

It is unfortunately quite explanable. They are worried they would actually have to go through with the punishments. Closed doors and points deductions would quickly damage the brand. Better to sweep it under the carpet (or outright pretend it isn't happening - as has been the default the last 15+ years), with a few wrist slaps thrown in to make it seem like they're doing something.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: April 5, 2023, 08:01:00 pm »
If you type in "tragedy chanting" into Google there's loads of reports/articles on it from various news outlets for both the City and Chelsea games. The first page alone has 10 links, all reporting on it. In amongst these 10 is the link for Sky Sports. All their report consists of is the match itself. Everything about Sky Sports is noxious. Sure even The San Diego Union-Tribune has a piece on it!
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #948 on: April 5, 2023, 08:09:22 pm »
5 Live mentioned it tonight and called out the Chelsea and City fans.......the more that this is highlighted the better.

The caller (a victim of Hillsborough) did mention that we did use vile chants up until recently about Chelsea but this stopped as soon as the club asked for it to stop. Other clubs need to do the same.
#JFT97

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #949 on: April 5, 2023, 08:50:24 pm »
this will never be solved there are liverpool fans who chant vile shit too and for as long as its happing from our own fans then how will it stop with others ... we need to start with our own first then maybe things will move forward .. all vile chats are wrong its a game of football yes very important to us all but to chant vile shit erm grow up maybe

im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: April 5, 2023, 08:53:30 pm »
this will never be solved there are liverpool fans who chant vile shit too and for as long as its happing from our own fans then how will it stop with others ... we need to start with our own first then maybe things will move forward .. all vile chats are wrong its a game of football yes very important to us all but to chant vile shit erm grow up maybe

When was the last time you heard us sing any shit ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #951 on: April 5, 2023, 09:03:58 pm »
There may be moronic individuals or small groups of our fans who do, but you will always get idiots in a large crowd. The point is we have not done it en masses for decades.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: April 5, 2023, 09:15:44 pm »
What chants have you heard from Liverpool fans lately?

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #953 on: April 5, 2023, 09:35:08 pm »
Noticeable that Chelsea “condemned” their own supporters whereas every time Man City do it, MCFC merely say they are “disappointed”

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: April 5, 2023, 09:58:22 pm »

When was the last time you heard us sing any shit ?

A friend of mine who goes home and away says there’s been a few arguments on the coaches - lads trying to start up the Munich chants and being rightly shouted down. Hopefully it’s not creeping back in.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: April 5, 2023, 10:04:24 pm »
A friend of mine who goes home and away says there’s been a few arguments on the coaches - lads trying to start up the Munich chants and being rightly shouted down. Hopefully it’s not creeping back in.

Pissed up lads on coaches who are self policed doesn't count though does it.

The restraint they showed last night was next level imo.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: April 5, 2023, 10:37:49 pm »

Carragher needs to step up and say something, he knows the significance of the chants and chooses to keep quiet.
We are Loyal Supporters

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #957 on: April 6, 2023, 07:54:08 am »
Carragher needs to step up and say something, he knows the significance of the chants and chooses to keep quiet.
Absolutely. There can only be one of two reasons that he doesn’t say anything. Either he doesn’t want to, in which case he is a c*nt of the highest order, or Sky have told him not to, in which case he is a shit house of the highest order. He absolutely has to call it out now.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #958 on: April 6, 2023, 08:06:08 am »
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's the link to Charl Hennessy's Petition.

'Make chanting about tragedies and death at a football match a criminal offence'

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/636134

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #959 on: April 6, 2023, 11:42:17 am »
Discussing on Talkshite now
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****