Author Topic: Those chants  (Read 184182 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Those chants
« Reply #840 on: March 5, 2023, 11:21:04 am »
In fairness, the only away game I've been to in recent times at Old Trafford was the Europa League when Phil scored just before half time, and didn't hear it then, but I guess it may be more prevalent at away games. I've certainly never heard it at Anfield and I've been sat all over the ground watching us play these wankers. It's the snidey little touches from the likes of the BBC leading with Munich which also does my tree in. Anyway, should calm down, got enough stress coming later today :).

It's very rare and people are told to pack it in very quickly and it's usually just a few and mostly just kids to be honest that don't know any better.

Literally every single time they play, in whatever competition what whatever ground you can hear the majority of their fans singing it. And if you and I can hear them singing it clearly every game then the media can hear them singing it clearly every game.

The media are complicit because they allow it and refuse to report on it when everyone can clearly hear it.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #841 on: March 5, 2023, 11:44:38 am »
The difference is United fans revel in snide chanting and being as nasty as they can, at least their vocal core anyway. It's a big part of their fan culture, they sing about us every week regardless of who they're playing, anyone with a vague connection to us gets the full 'Scouse bastard' treatment and general abuse. They love the poverty stuff and Hillsborough/Heysel/victims/murderers assortment of 'banter'.

United fans genuinely enjoy that side of things, whereas it gets to us (post-Hillsborough). They even cheer loudly if Munich gets sung (which it never should but a lot of them genuinely want you to sing it to them so they can cheer and then up the ante). They loved all the snide back and forth with Leeds the other week.

There are still Liverpool fans who get a kick out of the Munich stuff unfortunately as well, but it's very very rare to hear it in the ground post-Hillsborough (34 years). Our chants in grounds are related to the football for the most part - you might get "Manchester is full of shit" but it's not crossing a line.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2023, 11:51:07 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #842 on: March 5, 2023, 12:21:33 pm »
It's very rare and people are told to pack it in very quickly and it's usually just a few and mostly just kids to be honest that don't know any better.

Literally every single time they play, in whatever competition what whatever ground you can hear the majority of their fans singing it. And if you and I can hear them singing it clearly every game then the media can hear them singing it clearly every game.

The media are complicit because they allow it and refuse to report on it when everyone can clearly hear it.

Not all the media Andy, the likes of Henry Winter and David Conn has been highlighting it for the last few years, it is something which is now being commented on more often, though I agree it's taken too long. Perhaps it's why the two clubs have decided to tackle this together, we know the bigger problem is the United fans, though I heard the Munich song on the way back from Cardiff once on the train. It never made any sense to me that when you've just won a trophy you sing a shit song like that. But that was back in 2005, I think.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #843 on: March 5, 2023, 01:12:40 pm »
The difference is United fans revel in snide chanting and being as nasty as they can, at least their vocal core anyway. It's a big part of their fan culture, they sing about us every week regardless of who they're playing, anyone with a vague connection to us gets the full 'Scouse bastard' treatment and general abuse. They love the poverty stuff and Hillsborough/Heysel/victims/murderers assortment of 'banter'.

United fans genuinely enjoy that side of things, whereas it gets to us (post-Hillsborough). They even cheer loudly if Munich gets sung (which it never should but a lot of them genuinely want you to sing it to them so they can cheer and then up the ante). They loved all the snide back and forth with Leeds the other week.

There are still Liverpool fans who get a kick out of the Munich stuff unfortunately as well, but it's very very rare to hear it in the ground post-Hillsborough (34 years). Our chants in grounds are related to the football for the most part - you might get "Manchester is full of shit" but it's not crossing a line.

Couldn't agree more with this. I said it earlier in the thread, watching United play Palace earlier in the season they were singing for Cantona. It's part of their fan culture to be snide and obnoxious and focus on goading the opposition as much as supporting their own team. I'm not sure how you ever change that and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear even more Hillsborough songs today than usual.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #844 on: March 5, 2023, 01:59:21 pm »
In fairness, the only away game I've been to in recent times at Old Trafford was the Europa League when Phil scored just before half time, and didn't hear it then, but I guess it may be more prevalent at away games. I've certainly never heard it at Anfield and I've been sat all over the ground watching us play these wankers. It's the snidey little touches from the likes of the BBC leading with Munich which also does my tree in. Anyway, should calm down, got enough stress coming later today :).

The 70's and 80's were terrible for the Munich stuff, there were about 3 songs that got sung as well as the chant, but like I've said, that was over 30 years ago. These c*nts are still giving it the Hillsborough and Heysel shite, long after any perceived "justification" in their minds should have passed. They just love it and as Fromola says, they just cannot wait for us to start it again. Well they can fuck off, Leeds and Abu Dhabi can do that, they love to still give that shite out, we've moved well beyond those days.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #845 on: March 5, 2023, 03:10:50 pm »
The 70's and 80's were terrible for the Munich stuff, there were about 3 songs that got sung as well as the chant, but like I've said, that was over 30 years ago. These c*nts are still giving it the Hillsborough and Heysel shite, long after any perceived "justification" in their minds should have passed. They just love it and as Fromola says, they just cannot wait for us to start it again. Well they can fuck off, Leeds and Abu Dhabi can do that, they love to still give that shite out, we've moved well beyond those days.
We've grown up. Tragedy makes you grow up very quickly because it drives home the reality of what life is all about. The truly sad thing is that it took two tragedies for a lot of ours to grow up, and it will take others to have a tragedy of their own before they also grow up too.

As has been said on here before, Munich is not personal to today's United fan. They bring it up as a point scoring exercise more than anyone else does. They use their own club's tragedy to goad others. If I was part of their club I'd be disgusted and ashamed of how the 'fans' abuse the memory of Munich's dead for those ends.

I suppose they are somewhat detached in that it wasn't their friends, family, neighbours, work colleagues etc that were lost at Munich, so it's not deeply personal to them. Maybe that's why they can do casually desecrate the memories of those lost in that terrible tragedy basically just for vile banter points.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: March 5, 2023, 05:18:48 pm »
They've 100% turned the mics down on the away end this afternoon. Thought it was odd I hadn't heard one of their favourites but at one stage you could see they were chanting because all their arms were up and clapping but couldn't hear a thing on TV.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #847 on: March 5, 2023, 05:32:37 pm »
They've 100% turned the mics down on the away end this afternoon. Thought it was odd I hadn't heard one of their favourites but at one stage you could see they were chanting because all their arms were up and clapping but couldn't hear a thing on TV.

Think it is the right call to do so to avoid gloryifying the chant - if people hear it sung on TV and not called out then they will think it is right to do so especially if commentators aren't calling it out

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #848 on: March 5, 2023, 05:33:31 pm »
Think it is the right call to do so to avoid gloryifying the chant - if people hear it sung on TV and not called out then they will think it is right to do so especially if commentators aren't calling it out
Carpet, Brush, Under. Muting is not the answer.

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: March 5, 2023, 05:37:46 pm »

I think while it’s in the spotlight is the time to turn those mics up to the max

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: March 5, 2023, 05:39:32 pm »
I think while it’s in the spotlight is the time to turn those mics up to the max
Very this.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: March 5, 2023, 05:40:14 pm »
Didn't turn them down enough,were singing it after the goal and just before we got the 3rd.

3 7-0 you sister fucking mutants.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2023, 07:09:48 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #852 on: March 5, 2023, 06:22:15 pm »
Carpet, Brush, Under. Muting is not the answer.

Fair point taken - I know why my gut went towards limiting how wide it is heard but you are right that, especially with how pervasive it is and the fact it isn't being dealt with properly that awareness is more important.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #853 on: March 5, 2023, 06:54:41 pm »
Got the warning over the Tannoy, and all of a sudden they all left!

Or was that because it was 4-0? Not sure. Bunch of pricks. Hope it gets highlighted again.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #854 on: March 5, 2023, 07:06:01 pm »
Any mention of this in the press? I realise it's not the headline story from today (;D) but still. Could hear the broadcasters tried to dull the mics by the away end but some of their bile still came through.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #855 on: March 5, 2023, 08:02:20 pm »

'Manchester United fans sing Hillsborough chant despite Ten Hag, Klopp pleas before Liverpool game':-

https://theathletic.com/4277609/2023/03/05/manchester-united-chant-liverpool/?source=user_shared_article

^ or the article in full, here - https://archive.is/KiL0s
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #856 on: March 5, 2023, 08:53:42 pm »
'Manchester United fans sing Hillsborough chant despite Ten Hag, Klopp pleas before Liverpool game':-

https://theathletic.com/4277609/2023/03/05/manchester-united-chant-liverpool/?source=user_shared_article

F*ckin' scruffs!  :-\
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: March 5, 2023, 09:08:02 pm »
We all knew they'd disgrace themselves yet again. It's what they do.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: March 5, 2023, 09:09:29 pm »
We all knew they'd disgrace themselves yet again. It's what they do.

What choice do they have when we retaliate with "Fergies right"

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: March 5, 2023, 09:15:59 pm »
A step in the right direction from the club with the message over the tannoy, first time that’s happened I believe with the tannoy?

They’re a vile bunch.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #860 on: March 5, 2023, 09:21:51 pm »

Hope they got a good fucking kicking on their way to the Brick.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #861 on: March 5, 2023, 09:22:44 pm »
Didn't turn them down enough,were singing it after the goal and just before we got the 3rd.

3 7-0 you sister fucking mutants.

Yep, on 49 minutes. Only time the c*nts were heard in the Kop. Didn’t realise they got a warning over the tannoy, couldn’t mak3 out what was said
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Booze And Glory

• Main Stander
« Reply #862 on: March 6, 2023, 03:09:59 pm »
Seen the police arrest a lad outside the stadium for shouting Murderers as they walked past the main stand towards the away end. The lad was middle aged and was shaking and nearly in tears as the police arrested him and told him he'd be taken to the station. What made it even more shameful was the fact he was with his elderly dad who also looked in complete shock. I heard the lad saying he shouldn't be arrested as everyone in the group was chanting it, not just him and the police saying they'd had specific instructions to clamp down hard on anyone they seen/heard using such chants in and around the stadium.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #863 on: March 6, 2023, 03:23:37 pm »
Seen the police arrest a lad outside the stadium for shouting Murderers as they walked past the main stand towards the away end. The lad was middle aged and was shaking and nearly in tears as the police arrested him and told him he'd be taken to the station. What made it even more shameful was the fact he was with his elderly dad who also looked in complete shock. I heard the lad saying he shouldn't be arrested as everyone in the group was chanting it, not just him and the police saying they'd had specific instructions to clamp down hard on anyone they seen/heard using such chants in and around the stadium.

About fucking time. Actions have consequences. And definitely old enough to know better. Hope he had a good long hard think about what an utter knob he was acting while he was sat in his cell.

Reckon he won't be doing it again.... (Or who knows, maybe he learned absolutely nothing and will be back singing it with tens of thousands of others at Old Trafford)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #864 on: March 6, 2023, 03:30:44 pm »
...and the police saying they'd had specific instructions to clamp down hard on anyone they seen/heard using such chants in and around the stadium.

Good.

About time.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #865 on: March 6, 2023, 03:36:28 pm »
The stewards threw quite a few out for chanting during the game … I sit near the away. looks like they have decided to take a strong stance. Good.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: March 6, 2023, 03:41:53 pm »
I've been quite critical of the club for their lack of action over the years. Looks like things are starting to change. Just hope we keep it up and take it further too. Zero tolerance is the only way.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #867 on: March 6, 2023, 04:21:59 pm »
About fucking time. Scumbags will be scumbags.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #868 on: March 6, 2023, 04:28:00 pm »
Hope they got a good fucking kicking on their way to the Brick.

Did the buffet include large portions of humble pie and a cold collation of revenge? ;D

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #869 on: March 6, 2023, 04:32:31 pm »
Can anyone find me some TV footage from the last decade in which you can audibly hear Liverpool fans chanting about Munich? Or, failing that, thousands of them simultaneously doing the airplane gesture?

An additional challenge, can you find a single instance of this fixture where Hillsborough chants aren’t audible throughout the TV footage?

My suspicion is that every time this fixture is played a few morons on our side act dispicably and that thousands of Manchester United fans do so. This is what all the evidence I’ve seen points towards, but if someone can provide proof to the contrary I’d be interested to see it.

There won’t be a Munich chant tomorrow. There will be Hillsborough chants throughout. Prove me wrong Manchester.
Thought I'd revisit this.

As predicted, and despite the apparent muting of microphones in the away section, the Hillsborough chants could once again be heard. In the 49th minute of the Sky coverage was when it was most noticeable.

As predicted, there were zero Munich chants on the TV footage.

This is not a two way issue. Liverpool fans stopped singing about Munich decades ago. Manchester United fans simply refuse to stop singing about Hillsborough.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #870 on: March 6, 2023, 04:44:02 pm »
Thought I'd revisit this.

As predicted, and despite the apparent muting of microphones in the away section, the Hillsborough chants could once again be heard. In the 49th minute of the Sky coverage was when it was most noticeable.

As predicted, there were zero Munich chants on the TV footage.

This is not a two way issue. Liverpool fans stopped singing about Munich decades ago. Manchester United fans simply refuse to stop singing about Hillsborough.

The sad thing is, for some reason it's like the club feels the need to maintain the pretence that it's a two way issue so as to be taken seriously, or not come across as "sour grapes".

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: March 6, 2023, 04:53:22 pm »
There's more action coming, I just haven't found the time yet to compose a post to run past their Head of Fan Experience that reflects the conversation we had. Suffice to say it's great to see evidence of the harder line promised now taking shape.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #872 on: March 6, 2023, 06:27:00 pm »
The stewards threw quite a few out for chanting during the game … I sit near the away. looks like they have decided to take a strong stance. Good.

Could see a few getting turfed out from the Kop. Knew what is was even though couldn’t hear the vermin until the 49th minute. I clocked it as I always let a manc I know about it as the c*nt minimises it, usually by claiming Munich chants. He hasn’t replied yet.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: March 6, 2023, 06:32:02 pm »
There's more action coming, I just haven't found the time yet to compose a post to run past their Head of Fan Experience that reflects the conversation we had. Suffice to say it's great to see evidence of the harder line promised now taking shape.

Good,it's just a piss take that the Club is having to "police" it.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: March 6, 2023, 06:56:57 pm »
Good!

If they want to chant that kind of shite they can fuck off over the park to The Brick where they'll be welcomed by the anti-Scouse.

Behave like civilized human beings and support your team and you're welcome at Anfield. Act like a brainless neanderthal and you can do one. It's great to see that action is finally being taken on this issue because it's been ignored for far too long now.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: March 6, 2023, 07:01:04 pm »
I look forward to reading that post when you get around to posting it. It's about time this is finally getting addressed.

Offline reddazforever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #876 on: March 6, 2023, 09:00:57 pm »
Am surprised United or the Police haven’t released anything about the singing and arrests made because of it. United’s silence suggests the joint statement was driven by Lfc or the Police rather than being a true joint club statement imo
Proudest ever moment was in the Ataturk stadium - i'm sure the wife will understand!

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #877 on: March 6, 2023, 10:58:43 pm »
Yep, on 49 minutes. Only time the c*nts were heard in the Kop. Didn’t realise they got a warning over the tannoy, couldn’t mak3 out what was said

Likewise, didn’t hear the tanniy announcement on the Kop, anyone remember what was said?

Great news to hear some were kicked out though. Hope we put a statement out like we've done about the pitch runner.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: March 6, 2023, 11:18:52 pm »
Likewise, didn’t hear the tanniy announcement on the Kop, anyone remember what was said?

Great news to hear some were kicked out though. Hope we put a statement out like we've done about the pitch runner.

I was in upper Annie, it said they are aware of incidents involving chants regarding a football tragedy that deeply effected Liverpool FC.  Something about there being a zero tolerance or something along them lines.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #879 on: March 7, 2023, 12:18:17 pm »
I was in upper Annie, it said they are aware of incidents involving chants regarding a football tragedy that deeply effected Liverpool FC.  Something about there being a zero tolerance or something along them lines.

:thumbup
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."