Author Topic: The Mid-Season Slump  (Read 10805 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
The Mid-Season Slump
« on: February 2, 2006, 11:14:13 am »
Every team has a dodgy patch at some point in the season. All teams, no matter how successful, seem to have these months when nothing goes right, although after the exceptional form from October onwards, this dip –– which still only contains one defeat –– is still hard to take. The momentum has evaporated somewhat, and the form has grown stodgy.

The result against Birmingham felt like a defeat because it was against ten man, and came after another last-ditch goal. The football has rarely been inspired since the turn of the year; legs and minds look noticeably tired, while Rafa's substitutions have backfired a couple of times, as any manager's can (we can only judge them in hindsight, after all).

It's now over 40 games this season for the Reds, including a lot of European travel and a week in Japan. Liverpool faced six extra European games at the start of the season, the European Super Cup, and then the two games in the World Club Championships. And the rest of February promises to be nothing but gruelling, as the Reds face massive games in both the Champions League and FA Cup.

And yet it's not just Liverpool hitting a mini-slump. Chelsea have drawn three in a row, while Man United continue to win one week, lose the next. Arsenal, yet to finish outside the top two under Arsene Wenger, seem to have totally imploded.

While it's frustrating that the Reds aren't capitalising on the other teams' failures, this is the perfect time to decide if your glass is half full or half empty, as they're also not capitalising on our slip-ups. In fact, this week's results saw us finish a point better off than Man United, Spurs and Arsenal, and the result against Birmingham, as disappointing as it was, was yet another improvement on last season's corresponding fixture.

I'm not sure I believe in bogey teams, but if they exist, Birmingham are certainly Benítez's. In four league games, it's two defeats and two draws. This was a very disappointing result, although the game did contain possibly the most exciting and frantic period of injury time ever seen at Anfield. Had Robbie Fowler's fabulous overhead kick stood, it would have been the perfect comeback, as penned by the scriptwriters. But the intensity of those final few minutes wasn't present for the rest of the match.

So are we creating chances? And what constitutes a chance? For example, when Fowler did brilliantly down the right edge of the area and pulled the ball back for Morientes, was that a chance? Had the Spaniard been a fraction quicker he couldn't miss, or a fraction more accuracy or a little less pace on the cross and his task was simple. As it was, it sped past Morientes.

In the first half of the season, the chances were flowing thick and fast –– the problem was strikers missing opportunities. Now they've dried up a little, although the stats from every game show Liverpool having plenty of attempts at goal, but not all are clear-cut 'chances'.

Fernando Morientes continues to frustrate. He's such a good player, it's almost painful waiting for his full talent to burst into life. Every time the ball falls lose in the area he seems a fraction late in reacting. For such a brilliant header of the ball he's not getting on the end of as many crosses as hoped for, and when he does head it the ball seems aimed straight at the keeper more often than not. He works hard, and has a quality you can't lose faith in (seen in how he set up Gerrard's goal), but like Djibril Cissé it's just not happening for him at present.

Not enough individuals are on top form. Momo Sissoko is clearly a great midfield enforcer, but his form has dipped and he needed a rest. It's easy to forget he's just turned 21, and is in a new country, a new league. He's a good player, technically speaking, but rushes his passes at times and can look sloppy. He has a lot to learn, but he's a great acquisition.

Xabi Alonso's form of late has been more impressive for his reading of the game and canny tackling (in the Hamann mould) than his creative play.  There are still plenty of Reds playing well, but the team is misfiring a little.

Steve Finnan's crossing has been one of the plusses of the season. He seems to put in the perfect deliveries for Peter Crouch, although the big man's headers are currently drifting narrowly wide, rather than nestling in the net. Crouch is looking a little weary, and was frustrated at being substituted again; having said that, he is starting most games, and will surely start again at Chelsea.

Steven Gerrard continues to score goals like a centre-forward. I understand why Rafa wanted to rest him ahead of the Chelsea game, and at 1-0 up against ten-man Birmingham, the Reds should have held on regardless. But he's the closest thing we have to a force of nature, who drives the team on regardless, and it can go a little flat when he's not around. It's a tricky one for the manager, as you can't play Gerrard every minute of every game.

The Birmingham game saw no Carragher, Alonso introduced late on, Sissoko not even in the squad, and Gerrard removed with twenty minutes to go. Cissé was not even on the bench, so it was clearly a 'weakened' team, although if Rafa can't utilise his squad during such a heavy schedule, there's no point in having good players in reserve. Luis Garcia and Didi Hamann were returning after spells out injured, and both came close to sealing the points.

The biggest bonus at the moment is the form of Harry Kewell. It's his best spell in a red shirt, and proves how different a player can be when he is fully fit. It's also worth noting that his season is a lot younger than everyone else's; the same applies to Fowler, and if he can get fully match-fit in a month's time, there won't be any fatigue there. Last season's Champions League success can be put partly down to Alonso, Gerrard, Smicer, Cissé and one or two others missing chunks of the season, and peaking at the right time.

The rearranged defence did pretty well, and as with Gerrard, Carragher needed a rest at some stage, while Daniel Agger wasn't bought to spend his entire time on the sidelines. He looks a very composed young defender, although I've yet to see a young central defender who doesn't make howlers.

The only blot on Agger's promising debut was when he played himself into trouble by clearing with his favoured left foot when the ball was falling perfectly for his right foot. On his debut, it's perhaps understandable to do what feels most comfortable and not take what he probably felt was a risk (using his wrong foot), but nothing bugs me more in football than a player almost contorting himself to use his preferred foot (Riise is a prime example of this). If, as a defender, you can't clear your lines with your weaker foot, you're going to have trouble.   

So gripes aside, it's still been a huge improvement on last season as a whole, but the Reds need to rediscover a bit of momentum soon. The big games coming up could help do just that.

The aim for this season had to be to qualify for the Champions League with ease (and not, for once, desperation), and to improve considerably on last season's showing. That's all looking the case.

With 16 games left, we're only 13 points behind last season's tally. The cup competitions are going well, while no less than 16 players (all internationals of one kind or another) have been added to the set-up this season, seven of them to the first team; so this was always going to be a transitional season of sorts, as Benítez broke up Houllier's side and set up completing his own.

© Paul Tomkins 2006

'Golden Past, Red Future' is now available again. More details: www.paultomkins.com.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: The Mid-Season Slump
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2006, 11:20:26 am »
Good stuff.

I still can't wait for fucking brum and that fat headed fuck of a manager to get relegated.

They take far too many points off us.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline ckkj

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2006, 11:29:52 am »
Good read again mate

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2006, 11:36:31 am »
Nice one.  Anyone who is honest with themselves will admit that we have already outperformed expectations at the beginning of the season, and after the run of draws. Trouble is, success makes you hungry for more.  I still expect to finish (at least  ;)) second this season.

Tiredness must be a factor.  There was a fair degree of unnecessary ball losing yesterday and as  you say, Morientes is making us pull our hair out. 

Conversion of chances continues to be the main issue - someone other than Gerrard has got  to get on a bit of a scoring run, since Crouch's seems to have run dry a bit.  My candidates would be Kewell, Garcia and Fowler, in that order.

Offline Dick Winters

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2006, 11:40:19 am »
It really does appear that the players look tired and the approach play is looking a little scrappy.  It almost appears that we are rushing passes. 

In the past three games we have not looked as composed as we have done and I am not sure what the cause is.  It's a concern especially as we have some huge games coming up. 

I think the next few weeks will decide how this season will turn out.  I honestly think we should at least come third in the league with much more points than last year but second is really there for the taking.  I think the team needs a 'big' result to lift them.  Chelsea on Sunday is the perfect opportunity.

The key now is not to lose focus - we have had an excellent season to date but the next few weeks will be defining for us. 

I know that Pako is very strong on training and getting it right there.  However, I wonder is there an argument to give the players a few days off to rest and recover - if not physically; then mentally.

Offline Brother Mouzone

• Kopite
  • Keep your head up, keep kicking and don't drown
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2006, 11:48:05 am »
I think the fact that we have played 40+ games (I'm taking your word for that) is important.

If you take a  Prem team not in Europe and assume first round exits in both cups - then 40 is how many games they will play in an entire season. And we have at least 19 games left. Hopefully another nine (think that's right) if we make it to two finals.

Of course smaller teams may not have the resources we have - but that doesn't change how tired individual players can get. I was glad Carra got a rest for example.

I heard the phrase 'if you're winning you don't get tired' early on in the season. Hopefully a win on Sunday will give the lads enough energy to plough through the final third of the season.

Or hopefully squad rotation will work.
If you are visiting Crete this year or any of the Greek islands please take a minute to visit this website www.findstevencook.co.uk and learn about a good Red who needs your help.

Offline cgahan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2006, 11:49:10 am »
As you said there was always going to be a period when results/performances dipped. What was disappointing about last night was that when we scored we appeared to think the job was done and sat back.

Thankfully Man U are back in jekyll mode, Arsenal are terrible but their season is looking spookily like ours last season.

This month has a worrying look about it. Next 3 league games are away, follwed by Arsenal, Man U and Benfica. February will go a long way to shaping the season.

Also worrying that we seem to have a more difficult run in than Man U. Combined with the number of games we've already played (when are we going to rest Gerrard?) and the commitments of further CL games (hopefully)  I think that 2nd place is going to be a big ask.
In England they say that Manchester is the city of rain. Its main attraction is considered to be the timetable at the railway station where trains leave for other, less rainy cities. - Nemanja Vidic

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2006, 11:51:10 am »
4 league games in 9 days starting on Sunday will give us a fair indication of how far we have come under Benitez as we will have played the same number of games as everyone else.

We play the league leaders, Wigan and Charlton away and Arsenal at home.

The next couple of weeks gives us the perfect opportunity to get out of our mid season slump.

Benitez will need to use his squad to the full, so it's time for some of the fringe players to stand up and be counted.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2006, 12:02:18 pm »
Enjoyed the read.

I think it's fair to say our season is much better this season.  As long as we continue on this path, I can't see us going wrong.

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2006, 12:11:20 pm »
I wish every seasons dip of form was made up of a couple of draws and a loss to our greatest rivals in a game even their captain agrees we never deserved to lose!!
Next season (counting chickens here) should be different as we should qualifyt outright for CL removin those earlier games..... just hopin the world cup doesnt cause  the same effect for this time next year!!

Been a long time since i been on these boards, glad to see the quality is still much better than on the .tv site......
keep up the good work to all those involved!!!
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #10 on: February 2, 2006, 12:12:05 pm »
I think the fact that we have played 40+ games (I'm taking your word for that) is important.

If you take a  Prem team not in Europe and assume first round exits in both cups - then 40 is how many games they will play in an entire season. And we have at least 19 games left. Hopefully another nine (think that's right) if we make it to two finals.

Of course smaller teams may not have the resources we have - but that doesn't change how tired individual players can get. I was glad Carra got a rest for example.

I heard the phrase 'if you're winning you don't get tired' early on in the season. Hopefully a win on Sunday will give the lads enough energy to plough through the final third of the season.

Or hopefully squad rotation will work.
I think Tottenham will play 40 games this entire season. And they are supposed to be one of the challengers for a CL spot. When you compare that to the number of games we have to play, Spurs don't look that good IMO.
We have to play a couple of games a week for the rest of the season(hopefully), that will take it's tall on the players. Hopefully the rotation policy will pay off in the long run.
As to the players rested last night, it's obvious that Rafa has his mind on the Chelsea game.

Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline Zverko

• Kopite
  • keep it simple stupid
« Reply #11 on: February 2, 2006, 12:15:39 pm »
Good read that.

I agree that we are starting to show tiredness, but still we should have done better last night.  We league games now we have lost points to basically lack of concetration, and this is a bit worrying. 

On the positive side, Agger had a good debut, and Fowler is back, and he will definitely contribute to our scoring failings so far.

Looking forward to Chelsea on Sunday though, if we win that one everything will look different and it can be start of new run of good results :)
The King: "The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here"

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2006, 12:49:23 pm »
Good one, PT, this was an intelligent analysis of why results seem to be slipping since the start of the year.

Of course, after losing to ManU and drawing at home to 10-man Brum, the desire for reasons among the support is trading at a discount.

Let's rattle the back teeth and talk about zonal defending at set pieces... ;D

Is it causal empiricism to feel like we are more vulnerable to re-starts than we were earlier this season?  Obviously, with the goals against ManU and Birmingham both coming late and from free kicks, the temptation is to blame a weakness against set pieces as part of the reason for our slide.

But more than those two goals, it seems like we commit more fouls towards the end of matches, and do not clear our lines with anything near the efficiency bordering on contempt that we displayed in the middle of November.

What I need is a statto with access to fouls committed at particular times in matches, does Liverweb get that detailed?

At this point, it's nothing more than a feeling, but if we are committing more fouls late in matches than we had been, this might lend support to the belief that fatigue, both mental and physical, is settling in after forty-odd matches.   

Did I hear correctly that we've already played more matches than Spurs will this season?

Never mind, throw the bones to the masses, it's Morientes' fault... ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2006, 12:54:48 pm »
Last season we had 2 defeats against brum and this season 2 draws. If they don't go down, hopefully next year will be 2 draws.

The movement of our strikers needs to improve. Nando and Crouch both looked flat last night and its hard for the midfield to create when the strikers fail to move into space or pull defenders out of the way.

This is something Fowler was always good at and hopefully his skills will rub off on the others.
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2006, 01:05:06 pm »
At this point, it's nothing more than a feeling, but if we are committing more fouls late in matches than we had been, this might lend support to the belief that fatigue, both mental and physical, is settling in after forty-odd matches.  

I think the fact that we've conceded late goals in two of the last three games suggests some kind of fatigue, although it's just a suggestion at this stage.
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #15 on: February 2, 2006, 01:10:10 pm »

I think the fact that we've conceded late goals in two of the last three games suggests some kind of fatigue, although it's just a suggestion at this stage.
Yeah.  Could be just coincidence, unless it happens on Sunday as well.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2006, 01:26:30 pm »
spot on PT

what I don't understand is why SOME people seem to be under the impression that teams have a dip in form just because Mercury has moved into Sagittarius or some other such esoteric garbage...perhaps these people are girls, or they want to be...

to me it's as clear as day that much of the squad is tired, physically and mentally, by the season, and lets face it it's easy to blame the Japan trip but it is rather a big coincidence that we've looked tired since Japan (and also since Mercury has moved into Sagittarius - don't ask me "Teresa" how she knows that)
 :-[

to me you can see the tiredness not just in the results but the way we were doing things earlier in the season that we're not doing now...playing further up the field and with the offside trap contributed so much to the run of clean sheets, but for whatever reason, presumably mental fatigue, hasn't been run as much as it was in 2005 and consequently as the organisation has failed so the defence has had to defend deeper...

this has stretched the play, and the midfield have had to drop off a little leaving the misfiring forwards more isolated than before...just a difference of Stevie playing 5 yards further back could mean him being half-a-second late into a one-two with Crouch and it doesn't come off...Rafa knows that these are the kind of small margins that are the difference between a team playing in a groove and one that is struggling to get moves together...

Lee Dixon, as a Manc ex-Arse player (guilty of the heinous crime of the Michael Thomas Heist) not the most obvious person to demand respect off me, actually talks quite a lot of dot-to-dot footballing sense and often talks about teams needing to do things as a team, especially closing down...if half the team decide to close down the opposition at one time but their teammates switch off, the whole thing breaks down or is in danger of doing so...you stop performing as a unit, start performing as individuals and then your form takes a dip...

earlier in the season there seemed to be a zip to our play, we were getting first to tackles, first to second/loose balls, but that zip seems to have gone...Riise's a tenth of a second more reacting to Sami holding the line, Sissoko's a tenth of a second later into closing down a pass, Morientes is a tenth of a second slower reacting to a pass and a defender nicks a foot in ahead of him...

margins...

well, that and Mercury has moved into Sagittarius...

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #17 on: February 2, 2006, 01:29:23 pm »
Thanks PT - I needed that.

I was aware that we had improved compared to last season, but what had gotten me down was that we could now be tucked in 1 point behind the Mancs.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Sunday with both teams in a mini-slump.

Any result will be good for us. A losss would be disappointing but not the end of the world.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2006, 01:41:07 pm »
spot on PT

what I don't understand is why SOME people seem to be under the impression that teams have a dip in form just because Mercury has moved into Sagittarius or some other such esoteric garbage...

;D

I think tiredness is to blame for a lot of the slump, mainly the fact that in the last two months we've crammed in a lot of games. Even the two FA Cup games were tricky away fixtures where we were put under pressure. As Mr Turkish suggested, mistakes late in matches appear a problem at the moment.

We had to hit a wall at some stage, and it seems it's now. It makes perfect sense that it's now, with a difficult winter programme following almost constant football since July.

But the big games against Chelsea, Arsenal and the cup games against the Mancs and Benfica are the kind you get through on adrenaline, whereas last night the players were probably guilty of thinking they could conserve energy against 10 men. If we get some momentum from these big games, it can set things off again.

Anyway, I'll leave my observations there.    :wave

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #19 on: February 2, 2006, 02:15:02 pm »
Needed that - thanks PT

Agree with you totally - this so called slump, blip in our season has just come after such a high. Its very hard to swallow!

I just hope the likes of Chelsea and United haven't got out of their similar slumps before us and get our 2nd wind and going on another winning run!

Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline liverpoolpaddy's son

• test
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: February 2, 2006, 02:16:34 pm »
good read

Nice one.  Anyone who is honest with themselves will admit that we have already outperformed expectations at the beginning of the season, and after the run of draws. Trouble is, success makes you hungry for more. 

Tiredness must be a factor.  There was a fair degree of unnecessary ball losing yesterday and as  you say, Morientes is making us pull our hair out. 

Conversion of chances continues to be the main issue -

What he said sums it up for me
"He shall come again with glory... of His kingdom there shall be no end"

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96 - We Will Not Forget
« Reply #21 on: February 2, 2006, 02:22:48 pm »
The tiredness thing is a fair point, but dont forget, Chelsea, with the exception of Tokyo, have played a similar amount of games, and we're not on their level yet. I know there are numerous reasons, but looking at it from an admittedly narrow point of view, we should be aiming to match the best, which at the moment is Chelsea. Therefore, only taking 2 points off Brum isn't good enough. I know that there is scope for somebody to present a huge detailed analysis of ifs and buts but for me I'm not happy until we match Chelsea, end of story, I don't care if theyve got more money etc etc, I want us to match them. At the moment we arent good enough, or consistently good enough should I say, to do so.
Justice for the 96
RTK

Offline Dick Winters

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: February 2, 2006, 02:28:23 pm »
earlier in the season there seemed to be a zip to our play, we were getting first to tackles, first to second/loose balls, but that zip seems to have gone...Riise's a tenth of a second more reacting to Sami holding the line, Sissoko's a tenth of a second later into closing down a pass, Morientes is a tenth of a second slower reacting to a pass and a defender nicks a foot in ahead of him...

margins...

Very good - reminds me of the Al Pacino quote from Any Given Sunday - about games being about a matter of inches.  When it comes down to it all those small things make all the difference and if a team is mentally or physically jaded it is only natural that you will start losing these small battles that make up winning, losing or drawing a game.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #23 on: February 2, 2006, 02:39:11 pm »
The tiredness thing is a fair point, but dont forget, Chelsea, with the exception of Tokyo, have played a similar amount of games, and we're not on their level yet.

Champions League qualifying campaign? :wave

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 2, 2006, 02:42:31 pm »

Yep, forgot that  ::)
Justice for the 96
RTK

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #25 on: February 2, 2006, 02:55:56 pm »

+ Tokyo (albeit mentioned), plus the game in Monaco. They had the Charity Shield, but five of our extra games required overseas travelling (the other away tie being TNS). Japan came just before the busiest time of the domestic season.

And even Chelsea are looking tired and stale at the moment. That said, as we don't have as much money as them, we can't afford to build as talented a squad. Chelsea's advantage is that they can get top class, experienced players for every position, whereas Rafa has to be more 'creative' in his own words.
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 2, 2006, 03:13:05 pm »
+ Tokyo (albeit mentioned), plus the game in Monaco. They had the Charity Shield, but five of our extra games required overseas travelling (the other away tie being TNS). Japan came just before the busiest time of the domestic season.

And even Chelsea are looking tired and stale at the moment. That said, as we don't have as much money as them, we can't afford to build as talented a squad. Chelsea's advantage is that they can get top class, experienced players for every position, whereas Rafa has to be more 'creative' in his own words.

I agree, but, my point was and still is, no matter what the situation, Liverpool FC should not be happy with taking only 2 points off Brum, now matter how people try to rationalise it.
Justice for the 96
RTK

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #27 on: February 2, 2006, 03:38:21 pm »
I agree, but, my point was and still is, no matter what the situation, Liverpool FC should not be happy with taking only 2 points off Brum, now matter how people try to rationalise it.

Where has anyone said they are happy?

Explaining it, rationalising it, whatever you want to call it, is perfectly understandable. Even when Liverpool were champions most years they screwed up at home to lesser opposition now and again. In 1981/82 we drew three at home and lost four. The next two seasons we failed to win at home on five occasions each time.

"Give it to Heighway."

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #28 on: February 2, 2006, 03:57:56 pm »
For once, I will not accept the excuses and I am failing to see where this 'mid season slump' has been created from. A game we should have won but conceded a sloppy goal in does not constitute a 'slump' for me. A loss against one of the top 3 and then drawing a match we should have won is by no means a slump.

It was a scrappy goal, towards the end of a match where we should have been paying attention on the pitch - its not like we were beaten by brilliance, I saw the ball roll into the net in virtually slow motion for christ sake. I would put the goal down to a massive misunderstanding between the defence from the cross and thought it was very very unlucky.

Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso didn't even play the full 90. Hamman was played instead of Sissoko. I don't think there is anyway we can put this performance down to fitness issues at all. The fact is we were winning with 3 minutes to go, but we weren't pushing with any real passion for a second and this came back to bite us in our arses. < the point that proves this, is that when we suddenly needed a goal we were able to get a goal disallowed, hit the bar, have the ball tipped over from a free kick and have countless corners!

Although alongside the performance, I would rather be paying attention to the fact, that besides the set up for the Gerrard goal, virtually everytime Morientes got the ball he would take too many touches and get muscled off the ball. He would try tricks like letting the ball run between his legs or attempt flicking it on and these methods of play just would not work. So I was dismayed when the sign went up for Crouch to go off, who I felt could really have helped provide Fowler once he was introduced. I don't want to write Morientes off just yet, but I think if anyone should have been taken off it was him and I hope he really works on his strength and on taking less touches before finding a pass or a shot because its obvious his current style of play is not suited to the English league or the English defences. Im not trying to say I know better than Benitez, I am just wondering why he persists with Morientes when, to me anyway, its obvious hes finding it very hard to adapt (although Ill give him credit for being a tryer, he does his best and is passionate to the cause).

Just my few thoughts on it anyway. I felt that with more concentration and possibly not losing the ball so easily in the Birmingham half to allow the counter attack we could have grabbed all 3 points - I just don't think we should be pointing at fitness as an excuse, even if it is a pre-made one because of all the extra games..
« Last Edit: February 2, 2006, 04:01:40 pm by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Spanish Armada

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: February 2, 2006, 04:10:54 pm »
Although I agree with you Hij, we have been seemingly tired and have lacked that added spark we had in the games in late November, early October.

However, we did play well last night. Although it wasn't Luis' best game, the way he and Harry got forward and linked with the two strikers was impressive. Perhaps the departure of Gerrard, who was as inspirational as ever, was a mistake?
6 minutes and 47 seconds of "total football"...

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 2, 2006, 04:15:48 pm »
Where has anyone said they are happy?

Explaining it, rationalising it, whatever you want to call it, is perfectly understandable. Even when Liverpool were champions most years they screwed up at home to lesser opposition now and again. In 1981/82 we drew three at home and lost four. The next two seasons we failed to win at home on five occasions each time.

The thing is though, the playing field has changed somewhat since then....... I take your point, but also, don't forget that in those days squads were much smaller, meaning that possibly the tiredness factor would have been a fair excuse. These days, with massive squads, I dont think tiredness is all that valid an excuse, lack of adequate cover is the problem, our squad is not good enough by comparison to Chelsea's, and thus we are well behind them. I know the reasons (Chelsea have more money etc.) however I still won't be satisfied until we match them consistently.
Justice for the 96
RTK

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #31 on: February 2, 2006, 04:24:53 pm »
The thing is though, the playing field has changed somewhat since then....... I take your point, but also, don't forget that in those days squads were much smaller, meaning that possibly the tiredness factor would have been a fair excuse.

True. But the game back then was slower, the backpass rule meant teams could take a break mid-game, and there was far less media scrutiny and therefore less pressure. These days every game is televised and analysed to within an inch of its life, so players cannot hide. So it's swings and roundabouts.

Is our squad good enough? Almost. But not quite. Would we expect it to be strong enough 18 months into Rafa's reign? Maybe, but that would have meant a lot of rebuilding. Much of it is done, but not all of it.

I think the late Liverpool rally last night was understandable, as players were shocked out of their apathy. Maybe it's more mental tiredness. They tried to win without busting a gut - and whatever anyone says, you cannot play at 100% every game throughout a season.

Maybe some players had an eye on Chelsea, and Rafa certainly did. A shame, as if we'd won last night, it would have taken pressure off us going there.
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline Zverko

• Kopite
  • keep it simple stupid
« Reply #32 on: February 2, 2006, 04:32:33 pm »
I agree with quite a lot said in this topic, and this result now makes Chelsea game even more important.  It is now just about whether we can catch them or not (although it looks almost impossible) but it is also about showing ourselves that we can match them again and being as close as we can be come the end of the season.

Good result on Sunday, and we will shorly forget last night, as it will increase our confidence going to all other important features later this months.  If we lose however, small crisis will begin... Mentally it is very important to beat your nearest rivals, if not for points only... We already lost and draw with Mancs, and lost to Chelsea already once... I win would set us up very nicely :)
The King: "The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here"

Offline flying red

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2006, 05:55:28 pm »
I agree with HiJ -  our recent form hardly constitutes a mid-season blip.  We were hard done by against the Mancs - we were the better side by a comfortable margin and there were no signs of tiredness then.  The fact that we had a load of chances and upped our tempo after Birmingham's equaliser last night also gives a lie to the tiredness theory.

Whilst we have had more competitive matches than anyone else, we used the qualifying rounds of the Champs League as pre-season games - check back to the team lists and most of the squad had a look in at some stage.  Also in Japan, Rafa rotated the squad so that everyone played and over the Christmas/New Year we were saying how good it was that there was no  sign of jet lag.

Against Portsmouth and B'ham we have been up against two sides that are short on quality but were pumped up by the prospect of playing the Champions of Europe.  Portsmouth away is a horrid fixture - a small ground with vocal home support and the home team chased and denied us time and space all game but weren't good enough to beat us.  We didn't play to our usual level because the opposition denied us the time and space.

Last night, Birmingham sat deep and bootled us up once they went a man down - it's always going to be hard to create clear cut chances in that situation.  Maybe we should have worked them harder, using our man advantage to stretch them and run them ragged.  We were taken by surprise by the way they lifted their tempo and came at us in the last 10.  They benefited fom the sending off by moving Sutton into midfield - remember he was excellent there for Celtic against us a few seasons ago.  They also had the new centre back, Latka, who strengthened their defence and I would guess that Rafa didn't have a scouting report on his weaknesses.

If there is a slump it's the gap between our expectations and reality - we're hoping we can get one back on Chelsea, Robbie's been signed and we've drawn the Mancs in the FA Cup.

Offline cob

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: February 2, 2006, 06:07:34 pm »
Interesting Read Paul Tomkins, Cheers Mate.

YNWA
TRADE COUNT OF 500 + WITH LOADS OF REFERENCES IF REQUIRED

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 2, 2006, 06:11:53 pm »
Nice one PT. Good read
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
  • OH Jimmy, Jimmy, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jimmy Case
« Reply #36 on: February 2, 2006, 09:28:27 pm »
Ill take these kind of "mid season slumps" compared to the Houllier ones were we would go 10 games before rectifying it.

I think we have come along way--and still think last night was one of those games we would have lost last year (and did) the points dont lie. We are having a good season and if it wasnt for Chelsea billions we would be right in the thick of a premiership race.

I think if you want to talk slumps--look how Chelsea will feel if we beat them on Sunday--THAT WILL BE A SLUMP.....sure they can feel good about the points difference --but i wouldnt fancy being them in this form with Barca on the horizon, a hard game against the bitters to come and us breathing down their necks and full of momentum after winning at their place --win our games in hand and we could only be a couple of loose draws (like they had against Villa) away from catching them.

I really think this game on Sunday is massive--not so much for the two best teams in England playing--but for the ripple effects there could be after it. I wonder how we will react  if we lose 4-1 again? I think most of us will be upset but then resign ourselves to the fact that Chelsea will be Champions and we are scrapping for 2nd place--nothing changes there right? 
But more importantly --how will they react if we beat them? not only will we be riding the crest of the wave --but they will know we are coming and then for the first time will be playing with pressure on their shoulders, Jose will be growling, Roman will be shitty and the whole climate could change. They definately have more to lose it seems right now.
Just a thought and a lot of ifs and buts--but im glad we are in this postion right now and i for one feel really confidant about the rest of the season

******Disclaimer*****
i also felt like this a couple of years ago when we were "10 games from greatness"  so bare with me
« Last Edit: February 2, 2006, 09:31:03 pm by Darren Page1 »

Offline redbuff

• Kemlynite
« Reply #37 on: February 3, 2006, 12:31:32 am »
to be honest this blip in form has kinda been looming large on the horizon.  Defensive indifference and our lack of a real killer edge has put some gays in jeopardy that never should have been and I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.  The thing im suprised with is that chelsea havent had a more serious dip because they've really been overdue a bad patch themselves for much the same reasons as ourselves. 

Gerrard shouldering soo much responsibility isn't the greatest for our team either as recently we have been a very 1 man team (in that he seems the only one likely to score and finnan aside no one is really providing any workable assists)  All this said I think we should easily come 2nd this season and hopefully be able to really address some squad concerns in the summer.    Hopefully we will right ourselves well and truly before the benfica game :)

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 3, 2006, 02:59:04 am »
what I don't understand is why SOME people seem to be under the impression that teams have a dip in form just because Mercury has moved into Sagittarius or some other such esoteric garbage...perhaps these people are girls, or they want to be...

:o  eh, I've been staying put...it's Mars..... ;D  ;D

spot on Paul.  Just hope we get this blip out of the way asap.   

Offline MR

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: February 3, 2006, 11:09:18 pm »
While it's frustrating that the Reds aren't capitalising on the other teams' failures, this is the perfect time to decide if your glass is half full or half empty, as they're also not capitalising on our slip-ups. In fact, this week's results saw us finish a point better off than Man United, Spurs and Arsenal, and the result against Birmingham, as disappointing as it was, was yet another improvement on last season's corresponding fixture.

Glass half full for me. We're only disappointed in being 2nd/3rd because of a great winning streak. Compared to any half-rational assessment of 'outstanding progress from last season', we're doing fantastically

Fernando Morientes continues to frustrate. He's such a good player, it's almost painful waiting for his full talent to burst into life. Every time the ball falls lose in the area he seems a fraction late in reacting. For such a brilliant header of the ball he's not getting on the end of as many crosses as hoped for, and when he does head it the ball seems aimed straight at the keeper more often than not. He works hard, and has a quality you can't lose faith in (seen in how he set up Gerrard's goal), but like Djibril Cissé it's just not happening for him at present.

And for me this is the real damning argument for Moro. I don't mind that he's not scoring that many, but he's almost scoring none. And he has had good chances, especially with his head. I assume that unless the Second Coming is genuinely as special as we hope, another striker will come in over summer, (along with our right winger, and maybe a left back). If this happens, either Moro or Cisse (or God) will probably be surplus

The biggest bonus at the moment is the form of Harry Kewell. It's his best spell in a red shirt, and proves how different a player can be when he is fully fit. It's also worth noting that his season is a lot younger than everyone else's; the same applies to Fowler, and if he can get fully match-fit in a month's time, there won't be any fatigue there. Last season's Champions League success can be put partly down to Alonso, Gerrard, Smicer, Cissé and one or two others missing chunks of the season, and peaking at the right time.
Interesting argument, not thought of that...