Author Topic: Chelsea – Killing Football For Us All  (Read 43899 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chelsea – Killing Football For Us All
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2005, 06:29:40 pm »
Cap ticket prices. That way, whatever happens, we don't get shafted financially.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2005, 01:29:47 pm »
It's tempting to look at Abramovich's zillions and see no end to Chelsea's domination of English football. But as much as I deplore that crook's entry into our game, I refuse to see a future that's just wall-to-wall Chelsea triumph. Why? Because although their money is talking louder than anyone's has ever done before in football, the last word in football belongs - and has always belonged - to the 22 fellas on the pitch. Remember - Chelsea win games by one goal margins. Very occasionally by something bigger. They are not, at least on the football field, as domineering as Arsenal were a couple of seasons back. With that in mind I offer these 3 reasons for optimism:

1. Great managers are defined in part by how they react to adversity. Mourinho, in his short managerial career, has yet to taste failure. But one day he will. I got to say I wonder how someone as psychologically brittle and with such an obvious inferiority complex as Mourinho  will respond when the big setback comes. And it will come. Last season, after Arsenal shipped 3 goals at Tottenham, he went on record to say that if one of his teams ever let in 3 goals he'd stop the game. It was a comment that was intended to humiliate Arsenal. But really it spoke volumes about his own weird state of mind. (Imagine what Mourinho would have done if his team had been 3-0 down at Istanbul). One day his team will concede 3, or perhaps 4. Maybe we'll do it to him next week. Let's see what happens to the Special One then.

2. Chelsea's large squad is happy now. Sort of. Already this season Carvalho and Cole have griped to the press about not playing enough games. Well what happens when things begin to go wrong? Getting splinters in your arse from too much sitting on the bench is just about ok if someone slings a medal around your undeserving neck at the end of the season. But will Chelsea continue to be able to maintain such a fabulous squad if they go a season without winning anything? Of course, the answer is no.

3. Finally, how will Abramovich himself respond to a trophy-less season. Or two on the trot? We simply don't know. There'll be a huge cash-injection, obviously. But if that doesn't work? My guess is that he will run Chelsea FC like he has run his semi-legal business operations - ruthlessly. Ranieri got the chop after Chelsea's best season since 1955. Mourinho, for all his success so far, is probably in one of the most insecure jobs in the Premier League.

So we shouldn't despair. Let's keep the pressure on the c*nts - starting at Anfield next week.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Bambino

• Kopite
  • 'Jocky' Wilson Says by Dexys Midnight Runners
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2005, 02:18:38 pm »

Clearly something needs to be put in place to stop one club spending unlimited funds to create the perfect team.  I don't know what the solution is or might be but then again I am no expert on football clubs and how the game is organised.  I do, however, believe that if you put smart enough guys in charge and told to devise a workable solution then they would be able to do so.

I suspect a cap on buying player would be better than a salary cap in terms of preventing one team dominating.

How about teams are only allowed to buy 3 players in summer and just 2 more in January, reduce ticket prices and throw in a salary cap on players?  IT WON'T HAPPEN, as much as I'd like it to.  Not just because we wouldn't have some players we've got now (theoretically we would all be in the same boat), the simple reason is MONEY TALKS, like in any business/organisation.  As much as I hate the fat cats of our world that exploit people and rip off and lie to the average worker,I'm only saying that money does make the world go round.  It's a sad and harsh truth of the world, and it's infected a popular game like football like it infects everything else popular.  
Free Michael Shields
Justice for the 96
Remembering Anthony Walker

YNWA

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2011, 07:32:20 pm »
Worth airing again - saves loads of anguished one-liners
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline smallprint

• Kemlynite
« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2011, 01:22:18 pm »
It's not just chelsea killing football or man city it's the billionaires behind it all but ultimately when they get bored and decide to get shot of the teams that they have mangled it's the premier league that will suffer teams like chelsea and city are doomed to failure when these billionaires pull the plug they aren't going to be able to afford to continue on the basis of what revenue they pull in from the gate and and sponsorship deals it won't even put a dent in the wages bill

Offline 50 Pence

• Thanks to a slightly better exchange rate, he's a higher value rapper...
  • Kopite
« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2011, 01:56:11 pm »

1. Great managers are defined in part by how they react to adversity. Mourinho, in his short managerial career, has yet to taste failure. But one day he will. I got to say I wonder how someone as psychologically brittle and with such an obvious inferiority complex as Mourinho  will respond when the big setback comes. And it will come. Last season, after Arsenal shipped 3 goals at Tottenham, he went on record to say that if one of his teams ever let in 3 goals he'd stop the game. It was a comment that was intended to humiliate Arsenal. But really it spoke volumes about his own weird state of mind. (Imagine what Mourinho would have done if his team had been 3-0 down at Istanbul). One day his team will concede 3, or perhaps 4. Maybe we'll do it to him next week. Let's see what happens to the Special One then.

Made me chuckle... didn't see him stop the game against Barca :)
I wish I'd be a bit more spontaneous. Sometimes I feel like going out, stealing a traffic cone, putting it on my head and saying, "Look at me, I'm a giant witch."

Offline Tooky

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »
    How can Maureen be spouted as a great manager ?....puzzles me this one..name me one good young prospect maureen ever nurtured into greatness ?...
   Alonso...Torres...Mascherano...Gerrard...Reina...against Shaun wright-phillips languishing on a bench the rest of his team were already big game players and big competition winners....SWP had to be offloaded to another team and manager to show his potential...

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2011, 05:46:00 pm »
    How can Maureen be spouted as a great manager ?....puzzles me this one..name me one good young prospect maureen ever nurtured into greatness ?...
   Alonso...Torres...Mascherano...Gerrard...Reina...against Shaun wright-phillips languishing on a bench the rest of his team were already big game players and big competition winners....SWP had to be offloaded to another team and manager to show his potential...
Thats the difference between being a great coach and a great manager, imo.

A great coach develops talent and a great manager takes that talent to maximize it. Wenger is a great coach.

Offline Tooky

• Main Stander
« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2011, 05:58:56 pm »

A great coach develops talent and a great manager takes that talent to maximize it. Wenger is a great coach.

Your assuming there is a difference ?

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2011, 06:24:31 pm »
Thats why I said, IMO.

I think there are certain people out there who can do both. But for the most part, I feel that one is either great at one or the other.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:26:19 pm by b_joseph »

Offline Tooky

• Main Stander
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2011, 07:20:57 pm »
Thats why I said, IMO.

I think there are certain people out there who can do both. But for the most part, I feel that one is either great at one or the other.

With respect..but a manager is a coach..a manager coaches the best out of a player..Rafa  brought the absolutness out of Garcia..Alonso..Gerrard...Reina..Fowler....Mascherano..Lucas..Babel...ad infinitum

Offline b_joseph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2011, 07:34:13 pm »
If you take it from that angle, Mourinho has helped certain players he has been with find their maximum. Lampard being one of them...he is still good but the way he played in his first 2 years under Mourinho? Quite special to be fair to him.

But from how I see it, I see the a coach as someone who is excellent at developing players but maybe isnt the best at taking those players to win trophies.

Where as the other way is someone who isnt too great a developing players but is excellent at leading teams to trophies. And thats how I see Jose...I wouldnt expect him to develop 18 years olds but I do expect him to win trophies wherever he goes ( even if they are losing right now :) )

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »
Millwall with money.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2011, 05:01:34 am »
I don't know about others but the financial fair play rules can't come fast enough for me.  I don't know if they will work or not but for once, I applaud Platini for at least trying. 

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2011, 06:56:25 am »
I don't know about others but the financial fair play rules can't come fast enough for me.  I don't know if they will work or not but for once, I applaud Platini for at least trying. 

Platini is a gimp. He didn't care when it was his beloved Italian clubs outspending everyone with big business backers.

The nob.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 06:57:56 am by Sasquatch »

Offline Cockney Kid

• Anny Roader
  • ^^^The founding father of total football.
« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2011, 11:10:04 am »
When chelsea go and buy one of the best plyers from the competition, not only do they strengthen themselves, they significantly lower the oposition. FFS
Quote from: David Maddock
It was only the action of the fans in exposing their plans that prevented it. Not the media, not the Football Association or the Premier League (who must now take a long, hard look at their rules), but the fans.

Offline Tooky

• Main Stander
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2011, 12:54:58 am »
If you take it from that angle, Mourinho has helped certain players he has been with find their maximum. Lampard being one of them...he is still good but the way he played in his first 2 years under Mourinho? Quite special to be fair to him.

But from how I see it, I see the a coach as someone who is excellent at developing players but maybe isnt the best at taking those players to win trophies.

Where as the other way is someone who isnt too great a developing players but is excellent at leading teams to trophies. And thats how I see Jose...I wouldnt expect him to develop 18 years olds but I do expect him to win trophies wherever he goes ( even if they are losing right now :) )

OK..fair enough...but just name me one footballer who maureen has plucked from obscurity and thrust into international fame..?
  As i said swp..huth..lampard..EBJT  et al do not count..

Robert Huth...there is another career he destroyed because of his voyeurism
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:57:04 am by Tooky »

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2011, 01:05:25 pm »

OK..fair enough...but just name me one footballer who maureen has plucked from obscurity and thrust into international fame..?
  As i said swp..huth..lampard..EBJT  et al do not count..

Robert Huth...there is another career he destroyed because of his voyeurism

Are you seriously trying to say Mourinho isn't an exceptional coach?

In the six seasons he's been managing at the highest level, he's won the league 5 times. The other season, his team finished second.

Like him or not, there is simply no counter-argument to the man's record.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline vanderpaart

• Anny Roader
« Reply #218 on: February 13, 2011, 01:28:22 pm »

just name me one footballer who maureen has plucked from obscurity and thrust into international fame..?

Maybe this is by design? He's been at sides with enough resources for him to cherry-pick. Taking punts on more obscure talents is for sides with a budget.

But having said that, back in 2004 how many of his Porto side did you (a) know, (b) deem to be 'international class'? Yes most of them went onto better things, but in the moment? At that time? I know I wasn't.

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2011, 05:45:21 pm »

Presume youre watching with great interest since his 5-0 thumping. What are your impressions so far?
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »
Tomkin's OP has not worn well has it?

What Chelsea did do was break the duopoly of Man U and Arsenal, something which we failed to do and for which I am grateful.

There always have been the biggest beasts in the jungle- once it was us. All that you can hope for is that there is some competition and the arrival of Chelsea and City have spiced things up, no question.

Empires wax and wane, dynasties build then splinter, that is the way of things. Without Chelsea we would never have got £50m for Torres. Yet although money counts for much, it does not always get you across the finishing line.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2011, 10:23:47 am »
I actually like Chelsea; it is just Terry's behaviour I don't like. Ever since Mourinho left, I have liked them more and more......

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2011, 01:41:32 pm »
I actually like Chelsea; it is just Terry's behaviour I don't like. Ever since Mourinho left, I have liked them more and more......

Mental.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #223 on: March 15, 2011, 01:52:24 pm »

I dislike Abramovich and how he made his money. I dislike the Chelsea fans. I dislike most of the Chelsea players, apart from Anelka, who has really matured and does not seem infected with the cuntitry running through that squad. Drogba feigning, diving and cheating is a blight on the modern game. Ashley Cole epitomises the spoilt brat modern footballer. Mikel is a case study of how not to do youth development. When they have employed decent men as managers, they have conspired to knife them in the back. They employed Peter Kenyon.

So in brief, apart from the owner, the board, the majority of the players and the fans, I quite like Chelsea.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #224 on: March 15, 2011, 02:30:50 pm »
I dislike Abramovich and how he made his money. I dislike the Chelsea fans. I dislike most of the Chelsea players, apart from Anelka, who has really matured and does not seem infected with the cuntitry running through that squad. Drogba feigning, diving and cheating is a blight on the modern game. Ashley Cole epitomises the spoilt brat modern footballer. Mikel is a case study of how not to do youth development. When they have employed decent men as managers, they have conspired to knife them in the back. They employed Peter Kenyon.

So in brief, apart from the owner, the board, the majority of the players and the fans, I quite like Chelsea.

haha I'm exactly the same, though my dislike for Abramovich also stems from Yukos etc.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #225 on: March 15, 2011, 02:31:22 pm »

Is 'cuntitry' a proper word? :o

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #226 on: March 15, 2011, 09:43:17 pm »
Is 'cuntitry' a proper word? :o

If not, why not?
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #227 on: March 15, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
If not, why not?

I created a poll to decide the correct word for the property of being a c*nt a while ago. I can't find it so I suspect it may have departed to the recycle bin in the sky...

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: March 15, 2011, 10:12:26 pm »

Other way round.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2011, 07:55:33 am »
Without Chelsea, United would probably be on at 21 - I quite like them as well.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2011, 01:48:32 pm »
Without Chelsea, United would probably be on at 21
It's the only thing remotely likeable about them though.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #231 on: March 23, 2011, 09:43:54 am »
Other way round.

I disagree.

Coaching = teaching players, making them better.
Managing = getting them to play to their best, man managing them, keeping them performing.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2011, 03:53:07 pm »
Without Chelsea, United would probably be on at 21 - I quite like them as well.

I'd agree with that.  Your enemy's enemy is your friend, and all that.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan, but them over the Mancs anyday of the week.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2011, 07:03:12 pm »
Hmm.... 300m so far, no champions league?

My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline a former tribune of the plebs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2011, 08:39:18 pm »
Empires wax and wane, dynasties build then splinter, that is the way of things. Without Chelsea we would never have got £50m for Torres. Yet although money counts for much, it does not always get you across the finishing line.

Chelsea and especially City are the exact opposite of Empires and Dynasties.

Offline SteveGerrardFan01

• Posts firsts, thinks later, if at all - utter cock.
  • Anny Roader
  • Glory, round the fields of Anfield road!
« Reply #235 on: May 4, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »
at the end of the day,if liverpool had that spending power,you would be delighted!!

and don't say "oh no i wouldnt want that to happen",if it was liverpool who had abramovich and if it was him who bought YOU a title,i`m sure you wouldnt be complaining even though it all does seem a bit fake,and i wouldnt be that happy if i was a chelsea fan,they have no passion!!!

Yeah we wouldn't complain. But at the end of the day money is what's caused the Spanish league to become Barcelona v Real Madrid, the English league Manchester United vs Chelsea...

No fun when it's like that.

Chelsea aren't killing football. They're merely vultures eating away at the carcus of the sport it used to be.

Lol, true. I've put that in my signature!
« Last Edit: May 4, 2011, 09:44:54 pm by SteveGerrardFan01 »
Suarez, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Downing, Doni, Enrique + Kenny = Future's bright!!

Chelsea aren't killing football. They're merely vultures eating away at the carcus of the sport it used to be.

Offline checkolad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: May 8, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »
The funny thing is that if chelsea want to win the league again and win the champs league for the first time they'll have to spend 100m more because they're not good enough at the moment.