Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 53576 times)

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2018 - Who's the best commentator/pundit?
« Reply #400 on: February 10, 2024, 09:02:54 pm »
Drury is GBH to the ears with his poetic scripted drivel

He seems to have upped his Drury-isms since being appointed at Sky, which have made him unbearable now. It used to be quite unique, but now it seems so forced.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #401 on: February 10, 2024, 11:27:18 pm »
He seems to have upped his Drury-isms since being appointed at Sky, which have made him unbearable now. It used to be quite unique, but now it seems so forced.
There was a tweet from the very week he was appointed saying everyone saying he'd be a breath of fresh air would be sick of him by January, and sure enough, I am sick of him!
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #402 on: February 11, 2024, 01:36:45 am »
On the one hand you have a skeletal old ballbag barely hanging on to a scrap of life. On the other you have a super-animated dork jizzing over his thesaurus. The state of the profession isn't great.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 01:39:18 pm by Pistolero »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #404 on: February 11, 2024, 02:11:35 pm »
On the one hand you have a skeletal old ballbag barely hanging on to a scrap of life.

Many bones in your ballbag?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: February 11, 2024, 06:43:27 pm »
Used to like Drury. Find him irritating of late.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #406 on: February 11, 2024, 07:17:02 pm »
Drury just never, ever shuts up.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: February 11, 2024, 08:36:59 pm »
Was that Drury on Sky with Neville today. If it was, as soon as he called Hojland "Rock and Roll Rasmus" the sound of the fire crackling was the only sound in my living room

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #408 on: February 17, 2024, 03:00:47 pm »
Listening to Jenas is like having the slow onset of influenza. Gradually gets worse and worse and makes you feel nauseous. He just drones on and on until your ears bleed. And it’s not just the awful voice.  It’s cliche after cliche, and when he does spout his mind numbing  bollocks I genuinely think that he thinks he’s delivering some sort of genius insight. Fucking hell he’s bad
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: February 17, 2024, 08:54:27 pm »
Aw Jenas is dreadful. Really. After 5 mins you'd think Brentford were like Brazil in the 70's. How good they were, how nice there moves are, bla bla bla. Toney, you forget what a joy he is to watch.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2024, 10:33:41 pm »
Driving home tonight and tuned into hear the team news. I try to avoid it now, but got it on TalkSport. That Durhum tube saying that the team we picked was aimed at trying to make sure Everton would go down this year, and a clear indication that we were making the league cup a priority over the league. Luton would never have a better chance of winning at Anfield, and we would probably scrape by with a dodgy VAR decision. Couldn't work out of if it was typical shock jock click bait shite, or just ill informed, lazy Gary Neville level of reporting.
Wonder who took the jam out of his doughnut.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2024, 11:05:37 pm »
He's the original click bait artist. Absolute no mark.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2024, 05:25:52 pm »
He's the original click bait artist. Absolute no mark.

A station that employs / employed Keys, Gray, O'Hara, Mills, Goldstein, Gabby A and has connections to the "rag" doesnt it ??

Best to not listen to it full of 99% whoppers.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2024, 05:36:46 pm »
Driving home tonight and tuned into hear the team news. I try to avoid it now, but got it on TalkSport. That Durhum tube saying that the team we picked was aimed at trying to make sure Everton would go down this year, and a clear indication that we were making the league cup a priority over the league. Luton would never have a better chance of winning at Anfield, and we would probably scrape by with a dodgy VAR decision. Couldn't work out of if it was typical shock jock click bait shite, or just ill informed, lazy Gary Neville level of reporting.
Wonder who took the jam out of his doughnut.

He's bezzy mate with Carra now, even though Carra threatened to knock him out in 2007, so he's probably been infected with the Blueshite Bitterness
Jurgen YNWA

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: February 25, 2024, 04:59:44 pm »
Drury I beg you please stop writing your own poetry and shoehorning it in.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: February 25, 2024, 05:09:41 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks he does that.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: February 25, 2024, 05:24:04 pm »

Worst was "Gusto, with great appetite".
It's a terrible comment in itself, but also he said it while Gusto was just in the middle of the pitch, with no one near him.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2024, 06:03:30 pm »

Worst was "Gusto, with great appetite".
It's a terrible comment in itself, but also he said it while Gusto was just in the middle of the pitch, with no one near him.

God that one got my back up.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2024, 07:16:51 pm »
Honestly I would have Tyler back in a flash, Drury with his rehearsed lines is truly insufferable.
All great commentators know that there are moments in sport where words are not necessary and you just take time out for a few seconds or many seconds.
Drury doesn't understand that, he believes he must talk incessantly, and a lot of it is utter bollocks.
Appalling commentator.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2024, 07:20:42 pm »
Peter Drury is an absolute wank.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2024, 07:26:07 pm »
Let the game breath more! Sometimes simplicity is just better

There's painting a picture and then his version is like having someone read out lines War and Peace multiple times during a match
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2024, 08:03:16 pm »
Peter Drury is an absolute wank.

At least he was delighted and enthusiastic when we scored, Tyler would have groaned and we all know rat boy was fucking crying
Jurgen YNWA

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: February 25, 2024, 08:07:31 pm »
Still loving Daniel Sturridge. I imagine he'll say something at some point that will be completely ridiculous but we haven't reached that point yet
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #423 on: February 25, 2024, 08:10:15 pm »
I'll always have some sort of like for Jon Champion. Grew up playing PES on the PS1 in the late 90s and he was commentator for it, so I'll always be fond of his voice.

He seems more consistently unbiased too, if a little droll.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #424 on: February 25, 2024, 08:19:41 pm »
At least he was delighted and enthusiastic when we scored, Tyler would have groaned and we all know rat boy was fucking crying

Was he looking in the mirror?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: February 25, 2024, 08:43:11 pm »
I get how Drury's constant "poetic" drivel can get annoying quickly, but to say bringing Tyler back would be an improvement is insanity. I can just imagine his downtrodden, dreary, monotonous 'I just watched my dog get ran over' commentary now.

"Oh and...…..Van Dijk has headed it in...........Liverpool celebrate, VAR will check it of course.........."

Drury at least still has enthusiasm for the game. Tyler decided he peaked with the Aguero goal in 2012 and decided he was done trying after that.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: February 25, 2024, 11:05:19 pm »
Shay Given is a decent lad, but I can’t watch him without thinking of last season where he said only two Liverpool players would get into the Newcastle team. Given, a former professional goalkeeper actually picked Pope ahead of Ali.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #427 on: February 25, 2024, 11:17:57 pm »
Who gives a fuck about pundits after that? Fucking shower of cheating bastards. Fuck anyone who props up this utter bollocks.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: February 25, 2024, 11:44:28 pm »
"Oh and...…..Van Dijk has headed it in...........Liverpool celebrate, VAR will check it of course.........."

Don’t forget the meaningless link to another recent game and the mentioning of other players with zero context

“Van Dijk… heads in… Chris Kavanagh… VAR are checking… we saw that… Luton in midweek… Ogbene”

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: February 26, 2024, 09:31:40 am »
Wish BT would stop brining Rio Ferdinand in during games for his expert tactical analysis. During the Arsenal game he was on about Rice and how he should attack more, because in Europe he has scored loads of goals playing more advanced. Rice has scored 3 goals in Europe, ever

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: February 26, 2024, 09:37:10 am »
Wish BT would stop brining Rio Ferdinand in during games for his expert tactical analysis. During the Arsenal game he was on about Rice and how he should attack more, because in Europe he has scored loads of goals playing more advanced. Rice has scored 3 goals in Europe, ever

The worst was when they had him as their main pundit for the Milan derby CL semi final instead of using BT's Serie A presenting team. Ferdinand has never watched a Serie A game in his life.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: February 26, 2024, 09:46:43 am »
The worst was when they had him as their main pundit for the Milan derby CL semi final instead of using BT's Serie A presenting team. Ferdinand has never watched a Serie A game in his life.

Yeah I remember that, bizarre. And they have some good European football guys on their books (or did back then anyway)  I'm sure Ferdinand offered some great insight into the 2 Milan teams

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #432 on: February 26, 2024, 10:39:42 am »
Yeah I remember that, bizarre. And they have some good European football guys on their books (or did back then anyway)  I'm sure Ferdinand offered some great insight into the 2 Milan teams

They still have James Richardson and James Horncastle doing the european games, both excellent on all things Italy. They just choose to use Ferdinand because he uses buzzwords and creates ‘viral clips’ rather than proper analysis and understanding.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #433 on: February 26, 2024, 10:55:12 am »
I rewatched the ITV highlights.

Never heard of Steve Wilson, but he was appalling. Dismissing all the Chelsea fouls (especially that first half) as nothing, the worst being Caicedo's ankle-breaker on Grav, which I think he first described as 'nothing in that' but then, even after the slow-mo's declaring it not a foul.

Matthew Upson was co-comms and he wasn't any better.

They seemed gutted for Liverpool to win.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: February 26, 2024, 11:03:05 am »
Gary Neville. Liverpool overcome adversity, playing kids, who then boss the game for extra time and win through.
Instead of praising the kids, his main take is to have a go at the other side for being bottlers.

Wonder how he'd react to people accusing teams of bottling it who'd lost against United when him, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs and Butt were kids.

Hugely disrespectful, but what do you expect?
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: February 26, 2024, 11:04:14 am »
I rewatched the ITV highlights.

Never heard of Steve Wilson, but he was appalling. Dismissing all the Chelsea fouls (especially that first half) as nothing, the worst being Caicedo's ankle-breaker on Grav, which I think he first described as 'nothing in that' but then, even after the slow-mo's declaring it not a foul.

Matthew Upson was co-comms and he wasn't any better.

They seemed gutted for Liverpool to win.
Wilson comes on LFC TV and press box doesn't he?

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #436 on: February 26, 2024, 11:05:45 am »
Has that camel-lipped twat ever predicted anything positive?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #437 on: February 26, 2024, 11:15:42 am »
Gary Neville. Liverpool overcome adversity, playing kids, who then boss the game for extra time and win through.
Instead of praising the kids, his main take is to have a go at the other side for being bottlers.

Wonder how he'd react to people accusing teams of bottling it who'd lost against United when him, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs and Butt were kids.

Giggs aside, that lot lost to fucking Everton in their first major final didn’t they?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: February 26, 2024, 12:08:49 pm »
Has that camel-lipped twat ever predicted anything positive?

Come on now Terry. Man's a genuis.
"Man United might not thank me, but get the contract out, put it on the table, let him sign it, let him write whatever numbers he wants to put on there -- given what he's done since he's come in -- and let him sign the contract and go," he said.

"Ole's at the wheel, man -- he's doing his thing. Man United are back!"

He predicted that right ! They bloody well did not thank him

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #439 on: February 26, 2024, 12:20:21 pm »

He is such a strange bloke.

He absolutely hates us and should no where near our games. He was willing Chelsea on and even said he can't wait for Klopp to leave.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.