Author Topic: Football commentator/pundits  (Read 50249 times)

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
Re: 2018 - Who's the best commentator/pundit?
« Reply #200 on: January 2, 2024, 06:17:35 am »
That's insightful I remember them being shite in the 1980s. I started supporting Liverpool in the 80s when we were dominating so losing in 90s 00s you learn pain. Probably have to give Nev another 10 years losing treatment to help him.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #201 on: January 2, 2024, 07:51:12 am »
Neville is a really weird bloke.

Says Jota one isn’t a penalty as he delayed the fall and wasn’t touched. He sees the replay and says he was caught but can’t back down.

Why would Jota go down when he had an open goal ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #202 on: January 2, 2024, 08:49:51 am »
I would genuinely have Martin Tyler back over this Peter Drury fella. Drives me fucking insane. Like medieval scripture where the start of every sentence has a flamboyant flourish on the first letter his commentary peaks with the players name shouted as he is about to shoot.

When Mo had the ball in his hand to take his second pen he spouted some bollocks like 'Salah is nothing if not courageous'...honestly the man was about to take a penalty kick not go into to armed conflict.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #203 on: January 2, 2024, 08:55:10 am »
Was listening to 5 live in my barn the other day (building a poly tunnel frame) and Top 10s came on.  Micah Richards was howling out his standard buffoonery when the missus walks in and just says "who on earth is that idiot?"

Makes you wonder what the other pundits really think of him.  He's probably a nice fella but this howling buffoon schtick has gone way too far, surely Shearer and Lineker must at least suspect this?
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 2, 2024, 09:09:34 am »
Neville is a squealing ballbag. Him and Carraghers chuckle brothers act is truly odious.
He can pretend to be an objective pundit all he wamts in other matches but matches like ours, he show his cretin side easily the fucking rat face.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 2, 2024, 09:10:53 am »
Neville is a really weird bloke.

Says Jota one isn’t a penalty as he delayed the fall and wasn’t touched. He sees the replay and says he was caught but can’t back down.

Why would Jota go down when he had an open goal ?
First he insisted there was no touch then the fucker got a bit silent for 2 seconds when he saw keepers touch, yet again went on afterwards

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #206 on: January 2, 2024, 09:22:50 am »
First he insisted there was no touch then the fucker got a bit silent for 2 seconds when he saw keepers touch, yet again went on afterwards

He always has to be right as someone else mentioned.

He has been public about hating us so shouldn’t be on our matches.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: January 2, 2024, 09:38:17 am »
Why does the media love downplaying us? Our players are so underrated.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #208 on: January 2, 2024, 09:48:44 am »
Neville’s commentary last night was possible the most and prejudiced I’ve ever had the misfortune to listen to. I ended up having to mute the TV after about half an hour as it was driving me crazy (turned it on again after we scored as I wanted to hear his reaction). 

The difference in his tone between our disallowed goal (to paraphrase, “Nunez has gone too early there, I think it’s his right knee that’s got him in trouble there”) to Newcastle’s offside goal (“it’s a tight one, Konate looks very close” etc etc). Before the VAR check Mike Dean said he agrees with the decision and Neville sounds surprised and asks him “You think that’s offside?”. Both off-sides looked about the same when they put the lines up……

When they were watching a replay of our first goal he said something stupid like “Nunez is in a good position and you hope that he squares the ball to Salah but I’m surprised he actually did”.     
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 2, 2024, 10:40:53 am »
Neville’s commentary last night was possible the most and prejudiced I’ve ever had the misfortune to listen to. I ended up having to mute the TV after about half an hour as it was driving me crazy (turned it on again after we scored as I wanted to hear his reaction). 

The difference in his tone between our disallowed goal (to paraphrase, “Nunez has gone too early there, I think it’s his right knee that’s got him in trouble there”) to Newcastle’s offside goal (“it’s a tight one, Konate looks very close” etc etc). Before the VAR check Mike Dean said he agrees with the decision and Neville sounds surprised and asks him “You think that’s offside?”. Both off-sides looked about the same when they put the lines up……

When they were watching a replay of our first goal he said something stupid like “Nunez is in a good position and you hope that he squares the ball to Salah but I’m surprised he actually did”.     

Thats because he has been proven wrong again. He is so obsessed with getting a prediction right and trying to ram his narratives down peoples throats that he doesnt have the humility to even acknowledge it.

Even Carragher said yesterday that it’s probably because he is wrong, when asked by the presenter why Liverpool and their title credentials are getting downplayed. Neville though still cannot acknowledge it and says we have ‘found ourselves’ in a title race, like we have stumbled upon it like Leicester City.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #210 on: January 2, 2024, 10:47:13 am »
Neville constantly looks for a headline to make us look bad. The Arsenal and United games he has come out with "Klopp has lost it, he's gone" when Klopp was having one of his rants on the sideline, then every little thing on the pitch he picks up as some kind of  major incident. He knows perfectly well he can control a narrative and people will talk about it more if he pushes it a little bit.

Had he pointed out that Jota was caught by the goalkeeper, and that's enough to take someone off stride and therefore a foul, when running at such a speed (as he well knows, being an ex footballer) then everyone else would have gone along with it, but he used the word dive about 6 times in 2 sentences before the replay was even shown.

It must have been a tough Christmas for him though, having his sister, aunty and wife all round his house and still only making a turkey dinner for 2.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #211 on: January 2, 2024, 10:48:21 am »
Well played. :D

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #212 on: January 2, 2024, 10:59:12 am »

It must have been a tough Christmas for him though, having his sister, aunty and wife all round his house and still only making a turkey dinner for 2.

But surely for that to be true Nev Nev must have shagged his own mum/mother-in-law? All sounds a bit confusing.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 2, 2024, 11:08:52 am »
Neville constantly looks for a headline to make us look bad. The Arsenal and United games he has come out with "Klopp has lost it, he's gone" when Klopp was having one of his rants on the sideline, then every little thing on the pitch he picks up as some kind of  major incident. He knows perfectly well he can control a narrative and people will talk about it more if he pushes it a little bit.

Had he pointed out that Jota was caught by the goalkeeper, and that's enough to take someone off stride and therefore a foul, when running at such a speed (as he well knows, being an ex footballer) then everyone else would have gone along with it, but he used the word dive about 6 times in 2 sentences before the replay was even shown.

Yesterday Trent "snapped".

Replays shows him softly kicking the ball 10 yards away.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #214 on: January 2, 2024, 11:13:58 am »

The Nunez one was hilarious.

He was battering him most the match then he had an amazing spell and he had to eat his words.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #215 on: January 2, 2024, 11:33:32 am »
Neville can fucking do one the biased inbred c*nt. Goes on about Nunez fee all the time but ignores Antony, sancho and Hojlund fees. He’ll be cheering on city soon

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 2, 2024, 11:43:11 am »
Neville sounded like he had money on us to lose last night.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #217 on: January 2, 2024, 01:21:49 pm »
What does having Mike Dean on during the game add?

At one stage, think it was the check for the first offside, he goes "In my opinion it's offside."

It's not opinion though is it, dickhead? That's the entire point of these 3-minute checks.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: January 2, 2024, 04:08:51 pm »
 I sometimes wonder if  VAR can hear the broadcast and he is trying to influence their decision, so biased is he against LFC and for Man U.

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 2, 2024, 05:40:01 pm »
My vote is for Gary Neville because he's somehow managed to convince the world that he's the fountain of all knowledge and sound opinions

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 2, 2024, 05:59:47 pm »
One of the most stupid things Neville said last night wasn't even anything to do with the match.

He referred to Bobby Firmino as an unsung hero.

Clearly doesn't know what an unsung hero is, the stupid little rat faced c*nt.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 3, 2024, 07:31:30 am »
Neville sounded like he had money on us to lose last night.

That'd require him to actually put his money where his mouth is and he's hardly going to do that because deep down he knows we are great and his team are shite.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #222 on: January 3, 2024, 09:21:32 am »
What does having Mike Dean on during the game add?

At one stage, think it was the check for the first offside, he goes "In my opinion it's offside."

It's not opinion though is it, dickhead? That's the entire point of these 3-minute checks.

Dean showed during the match that referee's are completely clueless and why VAR will never work with them all being such a group of mates rather than a professional organisation.

Joelinton dragged back a player on the half way line, Neville even said it was a clear yellow despite an advantage, because it is. Dean tried to say Liverpool didn't lose their counter attack as advantage was played, so no yellow is needed. Stupid enough. Then in the second half, Neville referred to it again and Dean went "Yeah it probably should have been a yellow". He's changed his mind in 30 minutes, yet these are the best referees in the league and the ones that sit and are supposedly meant to challenge their mate when they make a wrong decision.

It was the same all the time with that fella on BT last season, he would change his mind in a matter of seconds depending on what VAR or the ref did.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 3, 2024, 10:58:02 am »

I'm not one to defend the rat faced fucking c*nt, but in his post match, Kloppo was enthusing about Nunez and said in that situation 99% of players will shoot, he was delighted Darwin put the team first and gave Mo an easy tap in.
Jurgen YNWA

Online rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #224 on: January 3, 2024, 11:06:42 am »
Honestly there isn't one. They're all shit stirrers

McCoist is the popular choice because he's pretty inoffensive but he never shuts up and is repeatedly wrong about things happening on the pitch

If I had to choose I'd say Keane because at least he isn't a skybot. Even though his factory settings when talking about us is 'they didn't win the league for 30 years. Even though United didn't win for 26 before that. And 11 now
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #225 on: January 3, 2024, 11:33:31 am »
I quite liked Pablo Zabaleta when he was on. But when you go through the list I can't see any no else. Keane has his funny moments but too stuck in a past era for me. I like the nba nfl their commentators are better. Though they love the superstars more than have any obvious team bias.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 3, 2024, 11:41:59 am »
Not just saying it to be anti-Barton but Lucy Ward is usually good. I never get annoyed listening to her which is a good sign of someone doing their job well as a co-commentator

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 3, 2024, 12:11:17 pm »
Honestly there isn't one. They're all shit stirrers

McCoist is the popular choice because he's pretty inoffensive but he never shuts up and is repeatedly wrong about things happening on the pitch

If I had to choose I'd say Keane because at least he isn't a skybot. Even though his factory settings when talking about us is 'they didn't win the league for 30 years. Even though United didn't win for 26 before that. And 11 now

I don't mind that really, so many people like Neville and McManaman are wrong but their vanity won't let them admit they're wrong and they just double down. Nah nothing in that fletch.
Take Jota the other day. Neville called it a dive, then he looked again and seen there was contact. But he said it was a dive and he can't go back on that (especially as its a Liverpool player)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #228 on: January 3, 2024, 01:07:52 pm »
Dean showed during the match that referee's are completely clueless and why VAR will never work with them all being such a group of mates rather than a professional organisation.

Joelinton dragged back a player on the half way line, Neville even said it was a clear yellow despite an advantage, because it is. Dean tried to say Liverpool didn't lose their counter attack as advantage was played, so no yellow is needed. Stupid enough. Then in the second half, Neville referred to it again and Dean went "Yeah it probably should have been a yellow". He's changed his mind in 30 minutes, yet these are the best referees in the league and the ones that sit and are supposedly meant to challenge their mate when they make a wrong decision.

It was the same all the time with that fella on BT last season, he would change his mind in a matter of seconds depending on what VAR or the ref did.
Dean's a huge Tranmere fan and a lot of them have a weird and twisted hatred and bitterness towards Liverpool for some mad reason.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 7, 2024, 08:14:33 pm »
90% of BBC's jobs for the boys commentary is "Remember when you played in a match in the Victorian era?!"

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 7, 2024, 09:18:45 pm »
90% of BBC's jobs for the boys commentary is "Remember when you played in a match in the Victorian era?!"

“How many cup goals did Lineker and Murphy score?!”

“who needs medals, hey ?” 😂😒

Still trotting this out about Shearer not winning an FA Cup it is tedious as f**k but obviously still better than listening to those dickheads on Sky

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #231 on: January 7, 2024, 09:19:49 pm »
Guy Mowbray and Shearer were shocking today on bbc. So fkn biased it was embarrassing. You’d thought an ale house team had turned up at the emirates not a team who was top of the league.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 7, 2024, 09:52:22 pm »
The sad part is if the BBC primetime tie of R4 is something like Man United v Newcastle they'll be having identical conversations for 120 tedious minutes.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 7, 2024, 10:05:59 pm »
The sad part is if the BBC primetime tie of R4 is something like Man United v Newcastle they'll be having identical conversations for 120 tedious minutes.
This is part of the problem with modern commentary. It has now become a 90+ minutes of conversation about any old shite. Rather than just making insightful comments about the match in progress.
Not only do the officials want to be the star of the show, but also the commentators and pundits also want to be the star of the show. They try to make it about themselves. It’s tedious.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2024, 10:07:52 pm by JRed »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #234 on: January 7, 2024, 10:58:14 pm »
Guy Mowbray and Shearer were shocking today on bbc. So fkn biased it was embarrassing. You’d thought an ale house team had turned up at the emirates not a team who was top of the league.

Nah. Half decent commentary that today..they both enjoyed the game..and the enthusiasm came across...which is more than can be said for the cack BT/Sky/Amazon dish up......made a nice change not having to mute the TV
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 7, 2024, 11:21:58 pm »
I thought Shearer was mostly poor, but it was still far better than Neville. In a match where the opposition actually give us a game, I'll take a commentator over-praising the opposition (Shearer) over a commentator that slags us off at every available opportunity (Neville).

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 8, 2024, 12:39:13 am »
Nah. Half decent commentary that today..they both enjoyed the game..and the enthusiasm came across...which is more than can be said for the cack BT/Sky/Amazon dish up......made a nice change not having to mute the TV

I agree, thought Mowbray and Shearer were far superior to the utter drivel served up by Sky/Amazon/BT. Any perceived bias towards Arsenal was probably them being swept up by the crowd more than anything. With the exception of Tyldesley (who is flawed but has always put in a good performance when we perform) and McCoist, there's not many more who are just fine.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 8, 2024, 09:49:57 am »
I don't think it very often but I thought Shearer was alright. He seems to like Nunez too which is good to see since everyone else wants to put the boot in.
Wasn't too keen on Mowbray though and his original "the man beside me would have scored that one" lines

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #238 on: January 8, 2024, 09:51:32 am »
Shearer was better on commentary than when he does the pundits job.

Wasn't amazing, but didn't annoy me at any point.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #239 on: January 8, 2024, 10:00:16 am »
Shearer was fine.  Arsenal played really well in the first half, we couldn't get out and they had plenty of great opportunities that they managed to squander and he was basically saying as much.  That doesn't make him a biased pundit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.