Author Topic: Saviour or urban myth?  (Read 20572 times)

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
Re: Saviour or urban myth?
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2005, 10:26:36 pm »
He has had his chance this year and in comparison to the scraps that Michael Owen had to live of for the past couple of seasons his had the full four courses.

Utter bollocks this theory that Owen ever got a couple of chances , he was himself guilty of some of the worse runs without goalscoring. although Milans had a bad run ,Owen himself had a similiar one last Christmas.

Milan has been in and out again with injury and his goals per game is still up there with the best this year barring stars like Henry.

He needs to get a run in a settled team. Like Rafa he deserves his chance once the dust has settled on this horrific run of injuries.
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2005, 10:00:45 am »
I've come late to this thread; and haven't read all the posts, so maybe I'm just re-stating what other have said. But the Milan-bashing has re-started after Sunday on .tv. We need a little sanity and clear thought.

Baros is a fine player; at his best he can terrorise defences. He's not the finished article, and if it was a straight swop, then I'd take Michael Owen. But Milan chose to stay last summer; when he could almost certainly have got another club after his Euro heroics. Mikey chose to go! 

Dunno to be honest whether Milan will ever become a true Anfield legend.  For all his talent he hasn't quite cemented the place in the team that was up for grabs this season.  It may not still be vacant next year; and his contract has only one year to run, so Baros may well be gone in the summer;
Shame!
We KNOW he can play in the Prem; can Cisse?

I like Milan Baros.  Even on Sunday he ran Everton ragged. Eventually he snapped, under all the clogging. Bad move; very unprofessional, and it could have been so costly on the day. It still is for the Reds, cos of the 3 match ban. Milan should get his chance to redeem himself v Cannavaro & Co; good luck son! You're going to need it, against one of the best defenders in Europe.

Milan's international record ISN'T just a red herring.  It brings up a comparison with Michael Owen;  who might otherwise be classed as a more ruthless/complete striker. Arguably Baros plays for a better international team; or at least one that plays more football than England.  But he has not  always been first choice; some of those goals came as he arrived off the bench. And he does seem to link well with his team-mates when playing for the Czech Republic.  So he CAN do that too.

Footie is not just a matter of statistics, or achievements, and  fans will always respond to particular players more than to others. The excellent Steve Heighway was never as popular as Keegan; - tho possibly as valuable to LFC in the 70s.

I make no apology for warming more to Robbie Fowler, than to Michael Owen.  The Toxteth barmpot will always score highly for me;  not just for all those goals before he was 21 -  but for the touch-line antics and  finger gestures v Blueshite & the Mancs. These were a spontaneous product of pure mischief, and joy in the moment.   The Dockers T-shirt, tho  was something more profound.  - No offence to Mikey; but I can't really see him pulling that one. The Great Deceiver is a class act however - and how we miss him this year. I'd even take him back in a heart-beat; tho' it's likely he'll have higher targets in mind.

John Aldridge suffered that first season by being tagged as Rushie's replacement; yet I always felt he suited that Barnes/Beardsley team better than Rush.  In 89, vendors shouted for pix of : "Rushie; or the team". That  showed the immensity of the hangover of feelings for a guy who had after all walked out on the club; just like Mikey or KK. Never as good a player as Rushie, Aldo did a fine job when he was asked; & was never really replaced in the short term. (Think he may even have out-scored Rushie in 88/9; tho I haven't seen the stats lately

Offline NornIron!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2005, 07:54:56 pm »
fair points but and i love to see baros working his ass of which he does, he also clearly appeciates the fans, given his gestures to us in Cardiff BUT...

emotional attachtments asides im not convinced that hell ever become a 'legend' nor even a match breaker...the 2 misses against the blueshite were diabolical especially the first and it has shown him not to be a 'natural finisher'. many will point to his performances during euro 2004 to counter such misses but you must remember the enviroment that he was playing in, look at the midfield that was provideing him with such chances? not to mention the tired legs of the ageing german centre backs against which he impressed so!?...

no-one would  love it more than me to see him take the posistion up front and make it his own unfortunently i dont think he ever will...nurturing talent is all good but you must have a certain level of natural ability there too, indeed thats why im never convinced by the ''finished article'' argument..so milan baros, nature vs nurture?
As poppy petals gently fall
Remember us who gave our all
Not in the mud of foreign lands
Not buried in the desert sands

In Ulster field and farm and town
Fermanagh lanes and drumlin'd Down
We died that violent death should cease
And Ulstermen might live in peace.

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: April 3, 2005, 06:28:32 am »
Liked this thread surfacing again -- It's a good read all the way through for those that have the patience.

Milan's done . . .  Surely it is no coincidence that talk of his departure and official overtures from Valencia, etc . . . are mounting.  Other teams see the writing on the wall.  And that writing is in nice bright pretty paint -- come take a look at our fantastic striker -- still in mint condition.  And that interest coming from Rafa's old team!!  Couldn't take more than just -- hey Valencia, you've got some good players that I know will fit in my system over here.  I've got a great striker that you could use -- let's see what sort of trade / buy we could arrange.

I like Baros, but he just never was going to get the full shake here.  Cisse (though untested) is waiting in the wings. Pongolle has come on nicely -- Morientes is a proven world class striker, Garcia can fill in nicely.  Le Tallec and Mellor can come on when those three need a break at once.  We have other holes to fill (CB and RM anyone?), and Baros will fetch a nice trade or a pretty penny.  Baros has said all the right things in public -- wanted to play for Liverpool, loving the fans, etc. . . But there has also been plenty of behind the scenes inuendo to suggest that he not broken up about being looked at.

Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .