Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 563757 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11280 on: April 23, 2024, 11:21:24 pm »

If we are going to search for the next great manager taking chances on unknown guys, Im ok with that aproach but then if we finish 5th next year  then he is out and we try again. In order for that strategy to work we cant give those unproven managers 2 or 3 years, they have to be good right away.

Rodgers was out after effectively one bad season. Kenny was out after one bad season and a trophy.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11281 on: April 23, 2024, 11:22:13 pm »
The Emery reveal is gonna be epic.

For me, if we want a 'head coach' working under this new model, he'd be the obvious choice (I know he's just signed a new deal with Villa). Won all his Europa League trophies with Sevilla under Monchi and will probably win the Conference League with him at Villa.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11282 on: April 23, 2024, 11:22:22 pm »
Well I’m actually quite excited by Slot personally.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11283 on: April 23, 2024, 11:22:30 pm »
Actually I take it back.

You said top tier, didn't you.

;D Aye, but even League 2 teams in England are being data driven these days.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11284 on: April 23, 2024, 11:22:45 pm »
In any other industry, an unheralded, high-risk appointment in a candidate-poor market, would be given a short 12-18-month contract to quickly prove themselves commensurate with that risk, and the faith put in them to make such a huge step-up.

Even Klopp got a relatively short initial contract if I remember, 3 years I think? Will be interesting to see what Slot is given.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11285 on: April 23, 2024, 11:24:00 pm »
In any other industry, an unheralded, high-risk appointment in a candidate-poor market, would be given a short 12-18-month contract to quickly prove themselves commensurate with that risk, and the faith put in them to make such a huge step-up.

Even Klopp got a relatively short initial contract if I remember, 3 years I think?

Slot will get a three year contract as well. Its exactly what we should do.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #11286 on: April 23, 2024, 11:26:35 pm »
For me, the worry is that the Dutch league is infamously sketchy as a barometer for PL success. It's ranked 7th by UEFA for a reason, just behind Portugal but the latter is clearly more of a heterogeneous hotbed for talent.

This is precisely where I am with this. I read a while ago on Reddit a good comment from a Feyenoord fan who thinks Slot would be good for us one day, but not yet. I would tend to agree - if he went to, say, the Bundesliga and repeated his success, I’d be all in. I really must emphasise that I am under no illusions that whoever we get in is not gonna be on Klopp’s level. But I do think any candidate should come from one of the top leagues, or at least have experience there. It does also mean I would approach Amorim with a similar degree of scepticism, however I’ve generally been impressed with players and managers who have come from Portugal in recent years. I can’t say the same about the Eredivisie, hence I’m a little surprised and underwhelmed with the links. But time will tell of course, and I’d be more than happy to see him succeed.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11287 on: April 23, 2024, 11:26:56 pm »
Imagine being Trent sitting at home just now with one year on your contract. Got a feeling there will be some amount of movement this coming summer. Can see the likes of Virgil, Salah and Robbo all moving on. Hope Edwards knows what he’s doing here because this is some risky shit that could turn out to be our version of Moyes

I do agree, I have to say. I think the players would have wanted Alonso personally. Ultimately, the players will know what we know about them, experience/achievements etc. They'll know everyone else is a step down, but just how big is that step? With Trent, obviously being local and a red should make up his mind but he's got a lot of his best years ahead, for me there's no way Virgil/Salah can do anything better now.

The way a few of the players looked last season, honestly, if it doesn't go well under the new fella, I can see a couple throwing in the towel at some stage. With Klopp they'd never fully do it but I think you could tell last season some of them weren't fully invested in the fight when the going was tough.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11288 on: April 23, 2024, 11:27:20 pm »
For me, the worry is that the Dutch league is infamously sketchy as a barometer for PL success. It's ranked 7th by UEFA for a reason, just behind Portugal but the latter is clearly more of a heterogeneous hotbed for talent.

I might agree if I knew what that meant. :D

What previous Dutch managers have or haven’t done in England doesn’t necessarily concern me. How he starts, how the fans and the city take to him will be important. Talk is cheap and all that but from the start you could tell Houllier or Rafa would be someone you could get behind. Hodgson obviously not! Rodgers somewhere in between. We’ll find out soon enough I guess.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 11:30:05 pm by Crosby Nick »

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11289 on: April 23, 2024, 11:27:25 pm »
Well I’m actually quite excited by Slot personally.

Think he’ll slot right in myself.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #11290 on: April 23, 2024, 11:28:32 pm »

Even Klopp got a relatively short initial contract if I remember, 3 years I think? Will be interesting to see what Slot is given.

It could well be a 3 year contract with conditions, ie if you don’t qualify for the CL we can get rid without a pay off for example (the Mancs did that with Moyse I think).
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11291 on: April 23, 2024, 11:28:53 pm »
Slot will get a three year contract as well. Its exactly what we should do.
Why? Because any shorter would 'undermine' him and raise 'interim' questions?
It could well be a 3 year contract with conditions, ie if you don’t qualify for the CL we can get rid without a pay off for example (the Mancs did that with Moses I think).
Like a probationary period or early termination clause based on KPIs. I'd be fine with that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 11:31:23 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11292 on: April 23, 2024, 11:30:24 pm »
I'm feeling optimistic about this appointment. He's definitely not an 'exciting' name, but there are enough positive noises about his style, personality, and of course adversity experience, that I'm very much in a "cautiously relaxed and intrigued to see how things go" mood. The only issue I see is the pressing thing. I was kind of hoping we'd start seeing our players not run quite so far into the ground.

By the way, is the Portuguese league really better than the Eredevisie? The Dutch coefficient is currently 5 points higher, if that's anything to go by.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11293 on: April 23, 2024, 11:31:01 pm »
This is what a decade with us has done to Kloppo.

Klopp on being a manager:

“Everyone else can only watch it and think: ‘Oh my God, it looks exciting.’ But somebody has to make the decisions. So many people always visit me around the games and say: ‘We won’t see that any more,’ and I just want to tell them – I work all the time, you just watch the games. I’m constantly in it. Even when the game is over I can’t switch off. It’s not great to be in this situation all the time. Maybe other people enjoy that more than me. But that’s something I definitely will not miss.”

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11294 on: April 23, 2024, 11:31:43 pm »
This isn't 2015, where every single person could see Klopp was the no-brainer candidate. There is no no-brainer candidate. Every single viable option poses a significant risk, who could definitely fail. But equally, someone out there has to be the next Klopp/Guardiola in terms of managerial ability versus their peers.

Another way of looking at this. We're operating in an era when the opportunities for managers to win trophies and advance deep into European competitions is becoming more and more difficult if you aren't part of an elite group of wealthy clubs. The current wave of elite managers are in their 50s and 60s, and the pack coming behind them have had very few opportunities to progress deep competitions. Even the likes of Nagelsmann hasn't made it to a European final. I think over the next few seasons, we're going to have a situation in which several clubs are going to make decisions without their preferred candidate necessarily having a significant list of honours outside of domestic leagues (if any). We pretty much already seen Arsenal and Man Utd do this.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11295 on: April 23, 2024, 11:32:12 pm »
Why? Because any shorter would 'undermine' him and raise 'interim' questions?Like a probationary period or early termination clause based on KPIs. I'd be fine with that.

Yeah but then you can spin it and say the Slotter backs himself.  ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11296 on: April 23, 2024, 11:32:47 pm »
Why? Because any shorter would 'undermine' him and raise 'interim' questions?Like a probationary period or early termination clause based on KPIs. I'd be fine with that.

Yeah you give a two year contract and straight away you would have players questioning the whole set up. But i imagine there will be clauses around CL qualification.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11297 on: April 23, 2024, 11:36:28 pm »
Yeah but then you can spin it and say the Slotter backs himself.  ;D
Don't even try to make that a thing. Likewise "the Slot Machine". Just don't.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11298 on: April 23, 2024, 11:37:14 pm »
Yeah you give a two year contract and straight away you would have players questioning the whole set up. But i imagine there will be clauses around CL qualification.
Think that's going to be an issue regardless.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11299 on: April 23, 2024, 11:38:13 pm »
What's his record like in Europe?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11300 on: April 23, 2024, 11:39:14 pm »
Think that's going to be an issue regardless.

Possibly but the contract is just another reason to question him as well as how it looks to the outside world.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11301 on: April 23, 2024, 11:39:45 pm »

Every time they play Roma they go out. The problem is in all three of his seasons there they've played Roma.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11302 on: April 23, 2024, 11:41:45 pm »

Not bad, Conference League final, Europa 1/4 final. Big negative, his team lost to Celtic in a CL group game albeit they had nothing to play for.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11303 on: April 23, 2024, 11:42:23 pm »

Got them to a Conference league final when Mourinho who shithoused his way to a win. Better than that bearded fella in Lisbon though.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11304 on: April 23, 2024, 11:44:36 pm »
Mourinho is bitter enough to think how is a guy I done over twice in Europe getting the Liverpool job ahead of me  :D

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11305 on: April 23, 2024, 11:44:56 pm »
Possibly but the contract is just another reason to question him as well as how it looks to the outside world.
Kloppp had an aura, and was a draw in himself. Instant respect amongst top-tier players, a big advantage both in the dressing room and when recruiting. Alonso, as much as you hate the thought, would have the same. Amorim less so but certainly more than Slot.

Recruitment is a concern though, and I hope our scouting network and empowered nerds ensure they run the show here, so we avoid the Ten Hag methodology. In other words, post-Klopp, he needs to be much more of a coach than a manager.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11306 on: April 23, 2024, 11:45:57 pm »
Got them to a Conference league final when Mourinho who shithoused his way to a win. Better than that bearded fella in Lisbon though.
But still a slightly lesser achievement than Moyes then. Excellent.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11307 on: April 23, 2024, 11:47:32 pm »
Every time they play Roma they go out. The problem is in all three of his seasons there they've played Roma.
The same Roma who got pumped 6-1 by Bodø Glimt. Again, excellent.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11308 on: April 23, 2024, 11:48:14 pm »

2019/20 - AZ finished 2nd in a Europa League group including Man Utd, Astana and Partizan. Knocked out by LASK.
2020/21 - AZ finished 3rd in a Europa League group including Napoli, Real Sociedad and Rijeka, but Slot moved on before the final group game. Beat Napoli away and got a draw at home.
2021/22 - Feyenoord topped a Conference League Group with Union Berlin, Slavia Prague and Maccabi Haifa. Beat Partizan, Slavia Prague and Marseille on the way to the final. Lost to Roma.
2022/23 - Feyenoord topped a EL group with Lazio, Sturm Graz and Midtjylland. Thumped Shakhtar in the Round of 16. Knocked out by Roma in the QFs
2023/24 - Feyenoord finished third in a CL group with Lazio, Atletico Madrid and Celtic. Beat Celtic and Lazio at home. Knocked out by Roma in the EL

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11309 on: April 23, 2024, 11:48:41 pm »
 ;D

Thank fuck Slot knows Mourinho ain't coming back to England.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11310 on: April 23, 2024, 11:50:33 pm »
2019/20 - AZ finished 2nd in a Europa League group including Man Utd, Astana and Partizan. Knocked out by LASK.
2020/21 - AZ finished 3rd in a Europa League group including Napoli, Real Sociedad and Rijeka, but Slot moved on before the final group game. Beat Napoli away and got a draw at home.
2021/22 - Feyenoord topped a Conference League Group with Union Berlin, Slavia Prague and Maccabi Haifa. Beat Partizan, Slavia Prague and Marseille on the way to the final. Lost to Roma.
2022/23 - Feyenoord topped a EL group with Lazio, Sturm Graz and Midtjylland. Thumped Shakhtar in the Round of 16. Knocked out by Roma in the QFs
2023/24 - Feyenoord finished third in a CL group with Lazio, Atletico Madrid and Celtic. Beat Celtic and Lazio at home. Knocked out by Roma in the EL
That's the sort of specific detail I like, thanks. It's ok but hardly punching is it?

I wasn't particularly enamoured by Amorim's UEFA record either.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11311 on: April 23, 2024, 11:51:55 pm »
;D

Thank fuck Slot knows Mourinho ain't coming back to England.
Don't tempt Todd Boehly.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11312 on: April 23, 2024, 11:52:39 pm »
It's Feyenoord mate. Not sure what you're expecting them to do these days.  :D

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11313 on: April 23, 2024, 11:54:20 pm »
Their rivals Ajax got within a whisker of a CL final, and would have given us a much bigger scare than an impotent Spurs.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #11314 on: April 23, 2024, 11:55:27 pm »

I mean yeah its a squad that didn't cost much to put it kindly, and ongoing business seems to largely be funded by sales

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11315 on: April 23, 2024, 11:57:34 pm »
One thing I hope is that he has the belief that he is good enough to be at Liverpool. A strong inner belief and arrogance is needed to manage a club like us. Naturally he must have been shocked to receive that first call. He can't go in with an attitude of being thankful to be the Liverpool manager.

Moyes carried that attitude all throughout his time at Utd. A sense that he couldn't believe he was there. The players will sense it from the off.

Slot can't have that attitude. Otherwise he'll be on his way to failing right away. 

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11316 on: April 23, 2024, 11:57:35 pm »
Their rivals Ajax got within a whisker of a CL final, and would have given us a much bigger scare than an impotent Spurs.

Aye but that Ajax team their fans said was the most talented group since the 00's when the likes of Sneijder, Huntelaar, Van der Vaart etc were coming through.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #11317 on: April 24, 2024, 12:04:14 am »
The personality of the new manager is going to be massive. Like it or not, the only way you can win trophies is if you can motivate the players to a) carry out your strategy and b) not give up when the going gets tough.

Make no mistake, they new guy will need it all. ETH has the tactical knowhow but he can't handle the players so now nothing he does works.

Does Slot have the personality to handle big players? At the moment the difference in the two squads is massive and it will be a huge question mark. The media is another thing, the scrutiny will be 1000x.

One plus is that many of our seniors have left or will leave in the next 13months leaving a younger core.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11318 on: April 24, 2024, 12:04:22 am »

Maybe that's the manager we should be after then. What's he up to?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11319 on: April 24, 2024, 12:04:33 am »
One thing I hope is that he has the belief that he is good enough to be at Liverpool. A strong inner belief and arrogance is needed to manage a club like us. [Naturally he must have been shocked to receive that first call. He can't go in with an attitude of being thankful to be the Liverpool manager.

Moyes carried that attitude all throughout his time at Utd. A sense that he couldn't believe he was there. The players will sense it from the off.

Slot can't have that attitude. Otherwise he'll be on his way to failing right away. 
He's Dutch. Arrogance is a given, practically a genetic trait. Doesn't mean he'll be a success though, look at the fraud at United.