Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4166334 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #65080 on: December 13, 2020, 01:05:39 pm »
We saw what Vladimir did 18 month away and away from home so I think in Germany without that layoff he puts up an even better effort (not saying he wins)

Wilder away from home gives him problems as we know Wilder could one shot him and Joshua isn't that hard to find (not saying he wins)

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #65081 on: December 13, 2020, 01:06:58 pm »
I wouldn't stick my neck out and say any of them beat Fury, but let's not forget that Fury has been in trouble against some absolute shite before. Plenty of names on Joshua's CV that are better than John McDermott for example...

Parker, Ruiz, Takam would all be very live underdogs I think, although you'd have to pay me to watch those fights ;D

Looking at it from the other perspective, who on Fury's CV do you think would trouble AJ? (We will probably disagree on Wilder)
You don't think Wilder would trouble AJ? I'd say he has a puncher's chance, and that's it.

Good ol' John McMuffin  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65082 on: December 13, 2020, 01:16:51 pm »
You don't think Wilder would trouble AJ? I'd say he has a puncher's chance, and that's it.

Good ol' John McMuffin  ;D

It's so hard to tell with Wilder. A bit like the Parker fight where he was a big undefeated World Champion and it looked like more of a challenge at the time, but Parker's record since then has put it in perspective. I suspect the Wilder fight might look the same over time if he doesn't come back.

I think pre-Ruiz AJ might have got carried away and got himself into trouble against Wilder but now I think it would be a simple night for him.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65083 on: December 13, 2020, 01:29:33 pm »
Best thing about the AJ fight a day later in my opinion is that we saw a Pre Ruiz and Psot Ruiz AJ in the same fight.

He showed he has the patience and used his boxing skills that we know he has and show the power and ferocity in Rounds 3 and 9 of pre Ruiz and stopped a man only Wlad had previously.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65084 on: December 13, 2020, 06:45:49 pm »
Best thing about the AJ fight a day later in my opinion is that we saw a Pre Ruiz and Psot Ruiz AJ in the same fight.

He showed he has the patience and used his boxing skills that we know he has and show the power and ferocity in Rounds 3 and 9 of pre Ruiz and stopped a man only Wlad had previously.

He was very good. He showed glimpses of the sort of intelligence needed to make the fight with Fury interesting.

Ultimately though, I think Fury knows how to use his advantages (height, skillset, stamina) better than anyone right now and he'll be a favourite. I know he can be knocked down, but can he be knocked out? I'm not so sure.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65085 on: December 13, 2020, 07:46:17 pm »
If he can take the shoryuken off Wilder and get back up then I don't think anyone's knocking him out.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65086 on: December 13, 2020, 07:50:07 pm »
If he can take the shoryuken off Wilder and get back up then I don't think anyone's knocking him out.

Except Wilder is a terrible finisher cos he's so used to that one punch power. If AJ knocks Fury down would have be able to withstand an AJ onslaught afterwards?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65087 on: December 13, 2020, 07:56:36 pm »
Wilder is a KO artist but AJ is probably the best finisher in boxing currently.  :D

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65088 on: December 13, 2020, 08:04:05 pm »
Wilder is a KO artist but AJ is probably the best finisher in boxing currently.  :D
He learned the hard way by not finishing off Mister Jiggles.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65089 on: December 13, 2020, 09:04:53 pm »
He learned the hard way by not finishing off Mister Jiggles.

To be fair, against the Snickers muncher I think his problem was going after him too hard for the finish. Once it became clear he wasn't going anywhere he should have stepped off the gas for a bit and waited for the opportunity like he did last night.

Great finisher though he is, he's got himself into trouble against Wlad, Whyte and of course Ruiz by chasing the finish too hard. Fury has got a head like a triceratops so could exploit that.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #65090 on: December 14, 2020, 11:35:00 pm »
So the WBO have come out today and said that AJ has been granted 2 exceptions to fight Ruiz & Pulev and they expect him to make his mandatory next.Will be interesting to hear where Fury's team are with the mediation regarding the 3rd Wilder fight.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65091 on: December 14, 2020, 11:39:12 pm »
Hearn said if they agree with the Fury camp and a deal is sorted for that fight then AJ will vacate the WBO belt. So it won't be an undisputed fight but we'll still see #1 and #2 in the division.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65092 on: December 15, 2020, 08:39:22 am »
I expect they'll pay Usyk some step aside money.

Was it the WBO title that Fury flushed down the toilet a few years ago? They really don't want to risk him picking it up again ;D

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65093 on: December 16, 2020, 08:41:19 am »

Height difference is massive.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65094 on: December 16, 2020, 08:47:49 am »
So the WBO have come out today and said that AJ has been granted 2 exceptions to fight Ruiz & Pulev and they expect him to make his mandatory next. Will be interesting to hear where Fury's team are with the mediation regarding the 3rd Wilder fight.
I hate these governing bodies. How was he given an exception to fight Ruiz when he wasn't even the champion when he fought him then? Surely it has to start again after his win in the rematch? We have also had the pandemic since then. This is why we are never going to have an undefeated champion again. It's not like Usyk has been waiting in the wings for ages.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65095 on: December 16, 2020, 08:53:42 am »
Aside from Potvekin, who would be way undersized but has the pedigree, who has AJ fought that would give Fury undue problems.

Fury beat Chisora twice, and that win matches up well with the Whyte win and the Takam win. Parker, Pulev, Breazeale, Molina. Much of a muchness really.

I think I might rate Wilder more than most on here so that's skewing my viewpoint

As for the fight,  I make it 52/48 in Fury's favour. It's laughable to think he would just walk through and batter him but he probably has enough to edge it in my opinion. If AJ stopped him I wouldn't blink and wouldn't be even 0.1% shocked

I really wish Fury had fought again this year. Should have taken short money just to get the rust off in my opinion
Chisora is not at the level of Whyte, Parker, Povetkin, Pulev or Ruiz. As shown by the way Pulev battered him when they fought. He is at a similar level to Takam and Brazeale.

To say Fury wouldn't have any issues with them is a a bit unfair given he almost lost to Otto Wallin. I think Fury's best wins are better than AJs but AJ has a much deeper CV.

I think AJs only problems have come when he is over eager to finish an opponent. He has never looked like he has been outboxed. I think he learnt from the problems he had with Ruiz and Klitsckho now though and seemed to wait to find the right time to finish Pulev.

I would agree that Fury is probably very slight favourite but that gap shorterned for me after the Pulev win.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65096 on: December 16, 2020, 09:42:42 am »

Height difference is massive.
Nice of Callum to still find time to pose with his fans in the week of a fight  :P

In all seriousness, if Smith gets his jab working, it provides Canelo with a problem he hasn't had to solve before. I don't think he has ever fought such a physical monster as Smith. I know he beat an aging Kovalev at 175 but I'd wager that Smith is stronger. The only fighters Canelo has fought above 160 are Kovalev (past his peak) and Rocky Fielding (not very good). You could include Chavez junior even if it was at 160 because he is very big, but he's pretty shite  ;D

I think Canelo will win a decision but wouldn't be at all shocked if Smith gets a late stoppage.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:46:51 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65097 on: December 16, 2020, 10:16:35 am »
Nice of Callum to still find time to pose with his fans in the week of a fight  :P

In all seriousness, if Smith gets his jab working, it provides Canelo with a problem he hasn't had to solve before. I don't think he has ever fought such a physical monster as Smith. I know he beat an aging Kovalev at 175 but I'd wager that Smith is stronger. The only fighters Canelo has fought above 160 are Kovalev (past his peak) and Rocky Fielding (not very good). You could include Chavez junior even if it was at 160 because he is very big, but he's pretty shite  ;D

I think Canelo will win a decision but wouldn't be at all shocked if Smith gets a late stoppage.

Chavez Jr has had dinners bigger than 160lbs ;D

I was surprised how much bigger Smith looks than Canelo.  It's going to be an interesting clash of styles for sure.  Be interesting to see how big they both look on the night.  Hope we don't get any bullshit decisions or fiddly referees.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65098 on: December 16, 2020, 12:20:12 pm »
Golovkin is also fighting this Friday lads. Could be his one of his last ones unless he gets Canelo again.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65099 on: December 16, 2020, 12:35:03 pm »
Golovkin is also fighting this Friday lads. Could be his one of his last ones unless he gets Canelo again.

Just had a look at his opponent's CV... Has GGG signed with Frank Warren without me noticing?

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #65100 on: December 16, 2020, 12:54:00 pm »
Has anyone signed up to DAZN UK. Only £1.99 a month to see the fights this weekend
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #65101 on: December 16, 2020, 12:56:44 pm »
Tim Tszyu with a superb first round KO in Sydney!

https://twitter.com/FightDisciples/status/1339189477923762181

The son of a legend is making his own name.

The title fight has to surely be held in Australia - look at that sold out 30k stadium crowd, no other country can match that now or in the next 12-24 months.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65102 on: December 16, 2020, 01:13:23 pm »
Just had a look at his opponent's CV... Has GGG signed with Frank Warren without me noticing?

No Eddie Hearn..

Same thing I suppose.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65103 on: December 16, 2020, 01:50:52 pm »
There's a reason the WBO was nicknamed  Warren Boxing Organisation, he's much worse.  ;D

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65104 on: December 16, 2020, 01:52:51 pm »
As far as I’m concerned if someone holds the WBC WBA and IBF they’re undisputed. Fuck the WBO

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65105 on: December 16, 2020, 01:54:42 pm »
And someone else in an alternate universe timeline is saying the same thing in the 1980's "Fuck the IBF, anyone who holds the WBA and WBC is Undisputed".  :D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65106 on: December 16, 2020, 02:20:54 pm »

When I saw 21 wins and 5 kos I rolled my eyes. GGG not gonna feel a single thing this guy throws. It does read like a Warren special.   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:22:37 pm by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65107 on: December 16, 2020, 02:28:19 pm »
And someone else in an alternate universe timeline is saying the same thing in the 1980's "Fuck the IBF, anyone who holds the WBA and WBC is Undisputed".  :D
What? You mean this isn’t the eighties!

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65108 on: December 16, 2020, 02:29:10 pm »

You're undisputed if you hold:

- The WBC Championship - or are WBC Emeritus Champion if there is no normal champion.
- The WBA Super Championship - or the regular championship if there is no super champion.  Or the interim championship if there is no regular champion or super champion.  Or the gold championship but only on the third Tuesday of every second month.
- The IBF Championship, although if you once held the belt and those jobsworths stripped it for some mad reason that only they care about then you don't need it.
- The WBO Championship, unless the title is held by a different fighter who is promoted by Frank Warren.
- The Ring Championship, unless the title is held by a different fighter signed to Golden Boy Promotions.
- The IBO Championship, but only if you are Chris Eubank Jr.

Simple.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65109 on: December 16, 2020, 02:29:39 pm »

He's looking to fight Oscar De La Hoya after and might see the chance to legally kill him.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65110 on: December 16, 2020, 02:39:05 pm »
You're undisputed if you hold:

- The WBC Championship - or are WBC Emeritus Champion if there is no normal champion.
- The WBA Super Championship - or the regular championship if there is no super champion.  Or the interim championship if there is no regular champion or super champion.  Or the gold championship but only on the third Tuesday of every second month.
- The IBF Championship, although if you once held the belt and those jobsworths stripped it for some mad reason that only they care about then you don't need it.
- The WBO Championship, unless the title is held by a different fighter who is promoted by Frank Warren.
- The Ring Championship, unless the title is held by a different fighter signed to Golden Boy Promotions.
- The IBO Championship, but only if you are Chris Eubank Jr.

Simple.
Ha ha. Think I’ll stick with my original statement.

Boxing is the maddest sport

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65111 on: December 16, 2020, 02:41:07 pm »
Where's the WBF?  :wanker

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65112 on: December 16, 2020, 02:42:10 pm »
Wankers boxing federation?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65113 on: December 16, 2020, 02:42:42 pm »
Yes mate, they need a new leader after Fordy stood down.  :D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65114 on: December 16, 2020, 02:51:31 pm »
Not sure what these fellas have got to do with boxing mate, but if it's what you're into then we're not judging ;D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65115 on: December 16, 2020, 02:55:49 pm »
Too much baby oil for my liking mate.  :D

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65116 on: December 16, 2020, 04:25:41 pm »
Yes mate, they need a new leader after Fordy stood down.  :D

;D not stood down mate. I am still CEO of it  ;D

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65117 on: December 16, 2020, 04:40:46 pm »
;D not stood down mate. I am still CEO of it  ;D

Samie hasn't fought for a while mate, might want to consider stripping him of the Maltese title!

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65118 on: December 16, 2020, 05:43:43 pm »
Samie hasn't fought for a while mate, might want to consider stripping him of the Maltese title!
I don’t want see the words Samie and stripping in the same sentence ever again 🤮

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65119 on: December 16, 2020, 05:46:03 pm »
 ;D

Long story for another day but I was nearly roped into doing it as a dare during my Uni days.  :D