Author Topic: Probably negative, but is there a need to dampen expectations?  (Read 9571 times)

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
Its the day of a new season, and those who follow this club are naturally full of optimism. The history of this club ensures every season - with the exception of the last - starts with brimming optimism. Our Summer outlay and the way we played last season when the King took charge means there is almost unrivalled positivity about this year.

However, is there a chance that things could get out of hand if things don't start fantastic? Things could get ugly if people start criticising Kenny, particularly in the ground, though I expect a large number of bans dished out on sites such as this one. People almost seem overly-confident in a sense. For two seasons now, over the course of 38 games, we've been found wanting, for a huge number of reasons. We've got a lot of new faces, who were badly needed, yet it'll take time to fully bed them into the side.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. The season starts today. It doesn't end until next May.

Come on you reds.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Probably negative, but is there a need to dampen expectations?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:04:20 am »
One game at a time...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:04:39 am »
No there isn't. Bugger off.

Optomism is magic. Downbeaters are tragic.

;)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 09:07:46 am »
God idea for a thread. We've finished 7th and 6th and have a large number of new players to fit into the side. There are likely to be problems this season and we need to recognise that.

One game at a time for me, let's try and beat Sunderland and then take it from there.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:12:12 am »
God idea for a thread. We've finished 7th and 6th and have a large number of new players to fit into the side. There are likely to be problems this season and we need to recognise that.

One game at a time for me, let's try and beat Sunderland and then take it from there.

Pah. Looooser ;)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:15:11 am »
Stay positive and expect to win every game.  But if we don't win,  stay calm and go and do something else for a while; don't start with the knee-jerk name, shame and blame game. 

Honestly I believe it's healthier to be optimistic, especially at the start of the season and this is a much better squad and management than we've had the last two seasons.  It's all good.
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline FowlerLeftFoot

• Kopite
  • There's Only One God
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:17:29 am »
Just being negative, i take nothing less than a 4-0 win for us today.
---------------------------
SPREAD THE LINK  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19149

Overseas Reds - use Anfields address  L4 0TH

Offline vintage74

• Anny Roader
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:21:20 am »
Don't want "fantastic" or "pretty"............... Just want a WIN!
With everything thats going on, its bolted on that were getting "Old Whiskey Nose" and his has beens at Anfield.
Because the FA are gagging for the Fans to kick off live on TV in front of the world so they can ban us for something!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:02 am »
Just being negative, i take nothing less than a 4-0 win for us today.

I'd take a spawny 95th minute winner off the referees backside.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:20 am »
I'll kill everyone if we dont win

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:24:18 am »
Its the day of a new season, and those who follow this club are naturally full of optimism. The history of this club ensures every season - with the exception of the last - starts with brimming optimism. Our Summer outlay and the way we played last season when the King took charge means there is almost unrivalled positivity about this year.

However, is there a chance that things could get out of hand if things don't start fantastic? Things could get ugly if people start criticising Kenny, particularly in the ground, though I expect a large number of bans dished out on sites such as this one. People almost seem overly-confident in a sense. For two seasons now, over the course of 38 games, we've been found wanting, for a huge number of reasons. We've got a lot of new faces, who were badly needed, yet it'll take time to fully bed them into the side.

Its a marathon, not a sprint. The season starts today. It doesn't end until next May.

Come on you reds.

Spot on! Keeping Things in perspective is a good thing  :wave
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Jezzman

• Kopite
  • Above us only sky
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:44 am »
Fact is, we've got the players to do it - now they just need to do it.... come on lads !!!

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:49 am »
Might be some initial problems getting the team to gel but I have a lot of faith in Kenny.  He got us playing some good football last year even with inexperienced players as regulars.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 09:28:40 am »
Don't be that person, don't be Roy Hodgson.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline mybacklight

• Account Closed!
  • Anny Roader
  • Cuz Laddie says so!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 09:33:24 am »
We will be fine, well take them on and have a go. "Giz a GoaL"

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 09:34:59 am »
We've had far too much negativity for the last few seasons. I am dinin' on 100% optimism for this season.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 09:37:04 am »
You see, I've said this in other threads.

It's how confident the team are of winning it that counts. If they go thinking that 4th is good enough then that can act as a ceiling to what we can achieve.

If we go in believing we can win it, that too can act as a ceiling to what we can achieve.

My opinion is that 4th has been good enough for too long. 1st is good enough in reality and what at some stage, if we are to win it, we will have to live to the expectations.

We finished 2nd a few years ago and still some fans feared expectation on the club when the natural step would to have been to win it.

We aim to win every game. If we aren't good enough then so be it. We will know why and be in the best place to correct it.

The history of this great club acts as a burden....only when we can't look into the future believing we are good enough to add to that history.

If Kenny and the team believe they are good enough to win it that's good enough for me - even, if eventually, it transpires that we aren't.

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 09:38:22 am »

Come on you reds.

were going win the league.... ;D
The Boss is fucking boss!

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:01 am »
Don't be that person, don't be Roy Hodgson.

I missed the bit he said about finishing mid-table, firing the youth but maintaining our shape on that jolly good show in Turkey.... ;)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:18 am »
Win-Lose or draw...... i'm still a redman. always will be, it's in the blood.
time is dragging, but it's here... first saturday of the season.... Feck.. C'mon
The journey starts today, a bumpy ride it will be,but i'm there for the long haul.
i wish i was touching that red plaque on the out to play, to remind who i'm playing for..... & to remind the opposition who they're playing against..

In Kenny we trust...  :scarf
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:19 am »

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 09:42:01 am »

It's how confident the team are of winning it that counts. If they go thinking that 4th is good enough then that can act as a ceiling to what we can achieve.

If we go in believing we can win it, that too can act as a ceiling to what we can achieve.

My opinion is that 4th has been good enough for too long. 1st is good enough in reality and what at some stage, if we are to win it, we will have to live to the expectations.

We finished 2nd a few years ago and still some fans feared expectation on the club when the natural step would to have been to win it.

We aim to win every game. If we aren't good enough then so be it. We will know why and be in the best place to correct it.

The history of this great club acts as a burden....only when we can't look into the future believing we are good enough to add to that history.

If Kenny and the team believe they are good enough to win it that's good enough for me - even, if eventually, it transpires that we aren't.

id say that is pretty much spot on. i cant wait for today.
The Boss is fucking boss!

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 09:44:31 am »
Spot on! Keeping Things in perspective is a good thing  :wave

So we aim for 4th this year. We get 5th.

What if Villa get billionaires in who plunder the cash? Do we accept it and go for 4th again?

Chelsea finished 2nd trying to win it. Not getting into the top 4.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 09:59:40 am »

The problem is that in 08-09 the kneejerkers went from being pleased to be competing in a title race to us apparently throwing it a way in a nanosecond. Last season before the last two games we were apparently competing with Barca as the best team on the planet according to some after two defeats those same fans were labelling us a pub team and questioning Kenny after defeats to Spurs and Villa.

As you say it's how confident the team is that counts and confidence comes from knowing that you can have a bad result or a couple of bad results and the fans won't over react and will stay with the team.

If United start sluggishly the fans will have faith that the manager and players can turn it around, will our fans do the same. What we need is confident players keeping their head down and playing not cocky fans telling everyone that will listen that this is our year.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:21 am »
I'm looking forward to the new season with great optimisum. Our main challengers for 4th spot will be weakened (the expected loss of Modric, Fabregas, Nasri etc) and I fully expect us to improve upon last season. Negativity and a need for caution doesn't cone into it today whatsoever. My glass is certainly half full!
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:08 am »
No we aim for the top spot. That's what an ambition team does. But I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up 2nd or 3rd cos I never expected us to win the damn thing! We're a team in transition and Kenny isn't finished yet.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:01 am »
We need another 'Liverpool are shite' thread.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:57 am »
One nil win and no injuries will do me just fine as the team needs to gel and it'll be a tough game.  Winning start will give the players a confidence boost and we can build on that. 

If the crowds positive then it'll rub off onto the pitch.  It's a new season and a new era -  let's get behind them !

Come on you red men !
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 10:04:16 am »
Full power of hope and expectation before every game can only do us good.
I'm positive and itching for it to start without thinking about the whole season, just today.
Let's do them today.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 10:11:55 am »
I agree with the op on this one, and have been saying over the last couple of weeks that people are getting a bit carried away predicting we'll challenge for the title. We've strengthened the squad, no doubt about it, but others have strengthened too, and we finished an awful long way off the top last season. There will be progress this year but I'm not convinced it'll be progress on a grand scale. Not yet anyway.

I get why some are full of confidence though, I really do. We have great owners in charge now, a legend as our manager who has won the league before, a great coaching set up, a great youth side, money to spend, a few kids already breaking in to the first team, one of the world's most exciting players upfront, etc., so there's a lot to be thankful and hopeful for. Just don't expect it to suddenly mean we'll be right up the top.

4th place is all I care about this season. Cups and trophies and titles will come in the next few years, but we absolutely NEED to finish 4th or higher THIS season. Don't get me wrong, winning something would be incredible, no matter what it is, but the champions league is where we belong and we need to get back there asap, not just because we should be but because we can't afford to not be.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 10:17:37 am »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are"
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 10:21:02 am »
I agree with the op on this one, and have been saying over the last couple of weeks that people are getting a bit carried away predicting we'll challenge for the title. We've strengthened the squad, no doubt about it, but others have strengthened too, and we finished an awful long way off the top last season. There will be progress this year but I'm not convinced it'll be progress on a grand scale. Not yet anyway.

I get why some are full of confidence though, I really do. We have great owners in charge now, a legend as our manager who has won the league before, a great coaching set up, a great youth side, money to spend, a few kids already breaking in to the first team, one of the world's most exciting players upfront, etc., so there's a lot to be thankful and hopeful for. Just don't expect it to suddenly mean we'll be right up the top.

4th place is all I care about this season. Cups and trophies and titles will come in the next few years, but we absolutely NEED to finish 4th or higher THIS season. Don't get me wrong, winning something would be incredible, no matter what it is, but the champions league is where we belong and we need to get back there asap, not just because we should be but because we can't afford to not be.

City and United have strengthend, but I wouldn't say Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea have (at least not as much as us). 

And I don't really see any reason why we shouldn't finish 4th.  Rafa's last season was marred by injuries and a positive bank account, and last season, we played under Hodgson for half the time, and both occassions we were still only a few whispers away from clinching fourth.    I'm very confident to be honest. 

Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.

Kind of like City, They were supposed to be challenging for the title last year according to Mancini.  Not many City fans seemed dissapointed that they didn't.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:25:11 am by PJG »

Offline nittinivala

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 10:25:55 am »
20 points from the first ten games.After that we will be okay.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 10:26:05 am »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are"

Sadly a lot of fans nowadays are all too willing to say we are the best after a couple of wins but are quick to hammer the players and the manager the second things go slightly awry. There is absolutely nothing wrong with believing you are the best it's just you don't have to tell everyone what you think.

I wonder how the modern fan would react to a Cloughie someone who continually down played his teams chances in public.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 10:30:24 am »
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 10:30:50 am »

I wonder how the modern fan would react to a Cloughie someone who continually down played his teams chances in public.

That's reminded me, Hodgson has just completely written West Brom off for their first two matches. He was already talking about how they can recover from the position they'll be in after losing the 2 matches, and how there will be plenty of points on offer after anyway.  Yes they have Man Utd and Chelsea first...but still.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2011, 10:32:18 am »
That's reminded me, Hodgson has just completely written West Brom off for their first two matches. He was already talking about how they can recover from the position they'll be in after losing the 2 matches, and how there will be plenty of points on offer after anyway. 

To be fair to Hodgo McHodgy Hodgepodge the Hodgeson he'll be aiming for a massive lost tomorrow against his old China.

£50 going on the Mancs to win that. Might as well print my own money.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 10:38:03 am »
One way of looking at things is that so far this season we haven't dropped any points, so surely now is exactly the time for fans to be most optimistic about their team's chances, realism about targets can wait for another day whether its a title challenge, european qualification or in the case of our bitter neighbours trying to avoid relegation.

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 10:40:41 am »
I don't think it's too optimistic to think we can win against Sunderland, and that's all that matters today.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 10:42:12 am »
Champions this season no prob