Author Topic: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2  (Read 66259 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2
« Reply #760 on: February 24, 2022, 03:47:08 pm »
Yes, you can drop your summon sign and hope another Sun covenant player summons you for the boss that they’ve not defeated yet. Might be worth looking at most popular summon spots if you’re just looking to farm the medals.

Cheers mate

A quick google tells me the best summoning spot for me (level 40-50) is perhaps Quelaag's Domain

Anyone knocking about fancy firing up DS and helping me get these sunlight medals

No, thought not. Cheers anyway :)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: February 24, 2022, 04:01:29 pm »
Never played DS online, sorry.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: February 24, 2022, 09:37:07 pm »
Never played DS online, sorry.

Me neither but just seen you need to pay for the privilege and subscribe to PlayStation +

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: February 26, 2022, 05:24:05 pm »
Been at Sens Fortress this afternoon and cleared the level out completely.  Really enjoyed that level, brilliant fun.  Have also done Darkroot Garden and Darkroot Basin this week.

Going to do the Catacombs now, armed with a Divine Claymore in preparation for Anor Londo.

I feel my character is much more buffed at this point opposed to the last time I played this.  Still dreading O&S like.

btw - Great Grey Wold Silf was a bitch boss to beat.  Most satisfying when I took her down.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: March 9, 2022, 12:26:52 pm »
Sorry for the long-winded post here guys, but today at approx. 01:15 am, a momentous occasion occurred for me after almost 40 years as a casual gamer.  I am posting this here for my own prosperity and in the hope that RAWK posters and Dark Souls Legends "FiSh77" and "Living Legends" are still active on here and see it too.  To be honest, any Dark Souls aficionados will also kind of feel my pain (and joy).

After 7 years and 4 months of trying on and off. - I HAVE FINALLY DEFEATED BOSSES ORNSTEIN & SMOUGH!

No NPC summons or online co-op was used as I swore to myself from the start I would do this unaided.

I initially dispatched of Dragonslayer Ornstein with Pyro, using 2 x Great Chaos Fireballs (Wearing the "Crown of Dusk" and "Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring", all while utilizing the personal buff "Power within").

Ornstein no more, this left just a Super Charged Smough to contend with.  I decided I was going to take the big guy down by traditional methods. (No Pyromancy or Spell casting).  Hitting him with pyro seemed to be futile anyway!

Using my +5 Divine Claymore two-handed, I stayed permanently locked on to the bastard.  Lots of dodge rolling, running and always used the stone pillars as cover to take Estus onboard. The emotions I felt when Executioner Smough finally went down and the caption "VICTORY ACHIEVED" covered the screen, were just unreal.  Initial overwhelming jubilation was followed by a few moments of silent reflection.  These pair of bastard bosses had plagued me for over 7 fucking years!!  No more I tell thee!

I will now go on and complete the game (hopefully) and then run through NG+ and grab Platinum.

At 51 years old with kids and grandchildren, I am still a little bit confused (as is my missus) how a bloody video game can invoke such emotions in a grown man :)

Not that I ever mentioned it on RAWK like :lmao

Made it to Bosses Ormstein and Smough at the end of Anor Londo.  There is now way I'm beating these two without a trip back. 

Re: Defeating Ornstein & Smough Bosses.

I've tried using Solaire mate and still get wasted.  Another problem is  having to defeat those bloody Royal Sentinels again each time i die.

I will fire it up again and see what I can do now I've had a big break.

I still have a massive hangup with myself about Ornstein & Smough almost 3 years on. Sad i Know.

Just been reading on Wiki how gamers felt emotions of 'pure zen' and 'unrivalled jubilation' after defeating O&S. How it was their game defining moment and how the encounter was also "Soul draining".

I did beat Ornstein once but was then killed by supersize Smough.

I really want to play Bloodborne and knew I'd see posters Fish77 and Living Legends in this thread.  They were about when I was reduced to tears on Dark Souls a few years ago.

'Dark Souls' is actually what is putting me off this game. I was actually loving DS but simply couldn't defeat Ornstein & Smough and it took age to get back to the fight arena to take them on again once you died.  A grown man in his 40's almost crying over a console boss level made me rethink how I was spending my free time.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #765 on: March 9, 2022, 12:30:54 pm »
Well done.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: March 9, 2022, 01:08:05 pm »
Hahahaha yes Pete!

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: March 9, 2022, 01:37:10 pm »
Well done, the best feeling in Souls games is when you see "VICTORY ACHIEVED" after trying for ages.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: March 9, 2022, 02:29:12 pm »
Congrats man  :champ :champ :champ

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: March 9, 2022, 02:43:29 pm »
Cheers Lads

Noticed I already have a +10 mace knocking about in my arsenal.  As a keepsake I am now going to ascended it to Smough's Hammer using the big guy's soul I collected when he died :)

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: March 9, 2022, 09:06:19 pm »
Get in man! Nice job, enjoy the rest of the game. You should cruise on from there.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: April 20, 2022, 06:49:48 pm »
Just finished my second run-through (NG+).  O&S were really hard (AGAIN!), as I had to kill Smough first, then face-off with Super Ornstein to get Ornstein's soul.  The HP on enemies on NG+ is much higher and they can one shot kill you.

Just one trophy left to collect before Platinum.  "Knights Honour" - Collect all rare weapons in the game.

About to start run-through 3 (NG++) to collect the 3rd and final soul of SIF.  Pop to Anor Londo where I can then craft The Greatsword of Artorias with the Giant Blacksmith.

Getting platinum has been a journey. :)

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #772 on: April 21, 2022, 10:24:03 am »
Man, you've come a long way. Chapeau sir.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: April 21, 2022, 12:07:15 pm »
Man, you've come a long way. Chapeau sir.

I know it's all subjective but Dark Souls is the greatest game I personally have ever played.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: April 21, 2022, 12:12:24 pm »
I know it's all subjective but Dark Souls is the greatest game I personally have ever played.

Wait until you play Elden Ring, Pete! I’m 60 hours in and still nowhere near the end  ;D

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: April 21, 2022, 12:15:26 pm »

Elden Ring is running it close for me, but I've gotta agree with this.

There's so many reasons, but for me it's those moments when you've been adventuring for ages, pushing forwards, finding bonfires, completely lost and then you cross a threshold/open a door and the big location text saying "FIRELINK SHRINE" appears and you're like.... WTF?! and then realise that the whole world/map is just a thing of almost perfect design. Not just firelink shrine, but there's multiple times where you're taken aback at where you've ended up, thinking you've been headed in a completely opposite direction.

Add in the epic boss fights and locations, the variety of builds and the lore (thanks Vaatividya) and it's just a piece of art.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: April 21, 2022, 12:21:56 pm »
I love it when you've been killed tons of times by a particular boss or tough enemy.  But then...

You finally stumble upon a certain shield, weapon, ring & spell/buff/pyro combo that brings the antagonist down.  A definite "wish I'd tried that earlier" moment!

As we mentioned earlier.  Seeing the words VICTORY ACHIEVED appear onscreen after a tough boss fight is one of the most rewarding gaming feelings. Ever! :)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #777 on: April 21, 2022, 12:27:00 pm »
Wait until you play Elden Ring, Pete! I’m 60 hours in and still nowhere near the end  ;D

When I eventually get my hand in my pocket for a PS5, ER is the first game I'm playing.

Moving on to either DSII or Bloodborne (again) next.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: April 21, 2022, 12:39:06 pm »
For no real reason, my list would probably be:

Dark Souls/Elden Ring
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Demons Souls (PS5 > PS3)
Dark Souls 2
Sekiro (no doubt it's a brilliant game, I just couldn't ever get good at it and it's the only one unfinished :-/ )

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #779 on: April 21, 2022, 05:50:24 pm »
I think I prefer Elden Ring, but I do miss the linearity of Dark Souls at times.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #780 on: April 21, 2022, 06:39:34 pm »
For me it's

Bloodborne
Dark Souls
Elden Ring
Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
Dark Souls 3
Sekiro

Haven't played Demon souls yet, not buying it for £70. Probably harsh on Sekiro but I've tried it 3/4 times and can never get into it. Bloodborne is one of my favourite games of all time to be honest, love everything about it and it came out at a really good point in my life when I had all the time in the world to play it.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: April 21, 2022, 08:00:48 pm »
As I skipped a whole console generation I haven’t played all their games. Out of ones I did my favourite is DS1, then Elden Ring, Demon’s Souls & Sekiro tied. Loved them all but DS1 was just special for me, a game that changed the way I enjoy games, opened the door to many other titles I would previously consider hard, confusing or both.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: July 7, 2022, 07:43:53 pm »
Just started playing DS1 for the first time after enjoying Elden Ring so much. Liking it a lot/want to smash my monitor in. I've found no map or fast travel rough, keep getting lost or stuck. Used one of them Estus upgrades on....nothing because the Use said it would upgrade my flask, apparently I was supposed to take it to someone. Died so much already, felt like giving up multiple times already but ER was the same and I gradually got into the swing of it.

Was debating playing through all DS1-3 with katana/high DEX build cos I loved it in ER, I'm a fan of that agile playstyle. But either I need to get used to the rolling in this or DS1 feels a bit clunkier/slower, so might alternate between Claymore/Shield and Claymore 2H and mainly push VIT/STR.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: July 7, 2022, 08:45:19 pm »
Yeah, bought all 3 of them in a sale on Xbox, I'm a small way into the first one, fighting a boss in Lodran (I think it's called) I'm rubbish at boss battles too, and this one is on a thin pathway on top of a castle.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #784 on: July 7, 2022, 08:48:58 pm »
When people said Elden Ring was easier, they meant in the sense that when you were underpowered you could fuck off, level up and come back.  With the DS games you can 'farm' but you won't over level because roadblocks will always be there and you'll need stuff beyond that roadblock.

Dark Souls is like beating levels.

Elden Ring is like learning how to circumnavigate levels.

Easiest I'd put it. Keep going though, every time you get further you'll feel great.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: July 14, 2022, 12:52:44 pm »
I'm a small way into the first one, fighting a boss in Lodran (I think it's called) I'm rubbish at boss battles too, and this one is on a thin pathway on top of a castle.

Haha good old Taurus Demon. 

Lordran is the name of the land that is the overall settings of the Dark Souls game.  Sounds like you are actually at the location known as 'The Undead Burg'

Spoiler
Walk along castle walkway until you engage the Taurus Demon.  Run back the way you came and up the ladder to the top of a castle turret.  Easily dispatch the 2 shitty undead archers.   Jump off turret and plunge attack the Taurus demon below.  Be quick or the Taurus demon jumps up to the top of the turret with you. 
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: July 14, 2022, 03:40:30 pm »
Haha good old Taurus Demon. 

Lordran is the name of the land that is the overall settings of the Dark Souls game.  Sounds like you are actually at the location known as 'The Undead Burg'

Spoiler
Walk along castle walkway until you engage the Taurus Demon.  Run back the way you came and up the ladder to the top of a castle turret.  Easily dispatch the 2 shitty undead archers.   Jump off turret and plunge attack the Taurus demon below.  Be quick or the Taurus demon jumps up to the top of the turret with you. 
[close]
That's the one mate, beat him fairly easily with firebombs and falling attacks from the tower above, I'm now about level 24, and last I played it I unlocked the elevator back to Firelink beside that wizard, think he's called a Chancellor or something, enjoying it way more than I thought I would, and I actually prefer it to Elden Ring, which is good, but I prefer the linear nature of Dark Souls.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: July 14, 2022, 03:57:20 pm »
That's the one mate, beat him fairly easily with firebombs and falling attacks from the tower above, I'm now about level 24, and last I played it I unlocked the elevator back to Firelink beside that wizard, think he's called a Chancellor or something, enjoying it way more than I thought I would, and I actually prefer it to Elden Ring, which is good, but I prefer the linear nature of Dark Souls.

That's a nice elevator shortcut you've unlocked there.  I think your referring to the "The Channeler" on the Balcony above?

You need to pass him to reach a very important compulsory Boss at the top of the Bell tower.

Once the Channeler is dead he doesn't respawn.  Well worth taking some time to pop upstairs and kill the annoying bastard, as he makes the undead gouls surrounding him a bit stronger.  Think you can kill him with ranged weapons too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: July 14, 2022, 04:12:04 pm »
That's a nice elevator shortcut you've unlocked there.  I think your referring to the "The Channeler" on the Balcony above?

You need to pass him to reach a very important compulsory Boss at the top of the Bell tower.

Once the Channeler is dead he doesn't respawn.  Well worth taking some time to pop upstairs and kill the annoying bastard, as he makes the undead gouls surrounding him a bit stronger.  Think you can kill him with ranged weapons too.
Yeah I beat the knights underneath him then he absolutely wrecked me, watched a couple of guides to get my bearings and he's just before the first bell isn't he?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: July 14, 2022, 06:49:26 pm »
Yeah I beat the knights underneath him then he absolutely wrecked me, watched a couple of guides to get my bearings and he's just before the first bell isn't he?

Yeah when go you up the stairs (immediately to the left when you exit the elevator), there's a Balder knight at the top.  Lure him down and kill him. 

Head up the stairs again and around the corner there's a huge hoard of zombies.  Lure them into the passage from where you came and you can quite kill them easily one boy one.  Much easier if you can get rid of The Channeler though.  As i Said, once he's dead he doesn't respawn

Once the hoard is dead its pretty much straightforward to head up a few ladders to the rooftop to the first Bell and Boss.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: September 8, 2023, 03:11:29 pm »
Tried DS3 after beating Sekiro. Can't kill anything. Can barely get 50 feet from the bonfire in High Wall of Lothric without running out of Estus. God I hate having a stamina bar and the combat feels so sluggish in comparison. Sekiro might've ruined Souls for me  ;D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: September 22, 2023, 10:10:03 am »
I'm now on to DS2 and in an area called Sinners Rise, had heard mixed reports about it but I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #792 on: September 23, 2023, 12:24:19 pm »
Tried DS3 after beating Sekiro. Can't kill anything. Can barely get 50 feet from the bonfire in High Wall of Lothric without running out of Estus. God I hate having a stamina bar and the combat feels so sluggish in comparison. Sekiro might've ruined Souls for me  ;D

Wash your mouth out, Dark Souls III is the best of the lot.

Though not playing Bloodborne or Sekiro might invalidate my opinion ;D
:D

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: February 7, 2024, 03:05:15 pm »
Though not playing Bloodborne or Sekiro might invalidate my opinion ;D

Why not!? Never played Bloodborne since I'm only on PC but as far as I'm aware they're both regarded as top-tier by Souls fans. Sekiro has probably the most engaging, satisfying combat I've ever experienced in a game.

Anyway, coming back to this thread because I decided to take another run at DS3 after dropping it months ago. The combat clicked into place when I stopped trying to play it like Elden Ring (rolling out of everything and relying on weapon arts) or Sekiro (parrying everything and being super aggressive) and started to use my shield much more, blocking regularly and just generally slowing things down. I've gone for a fairly tanky build which has been very effective so far.

DS3 is often criticized as being perhaps the most middle-of-the-road, uninspired From entry, lacking the magic of DS1 or the personality of DS2, and I wasn't particularly impressed with the starting areas up until Irithyll where I think the game finally comes into its own. Every zone since has been great. After struggling for so long back in the starting area I'm blasting through the end-game now. Aldrich took quite a few attempts but I then proceeded to 1-shot Dancer, Dragonslayer Armor, Oceiros, Champion Gundyr and lastly Twin Princes, who I was expecting to be harder. I have all 4 Cinders now but I haven't been to Archdragon Peak yet, where apparently one of the hardest bosses in the franchise is, so looking forward to that! I've also heard the Ringed City DLC is a fucking nightmare.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2024, 03:07:36 pm by Dench57 »