Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 620178 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11960 on: April 24, 2024, 03:59:30 pm »
Thing is when Klopp took over 99 out of 100 fans wanted him. Slot has already majorly split the fans decision without having even taken over yet. For his own sake, I hope he has a good start with us or this will turn sour pretty quickly.

Online maybe but in the ground and the people who go to the matches often.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11961 on: April 24, 2024, 04:00:44 pm »
Worth listening to the comments of the Dutch journalist.

Yep. Interesting that's on a PL manager's salary (£4.5m apparently) because Feyenoord were desperate to keep him when Spurs wanted him last summer. Makes sense as to why the talk that he had no exit clauses due to the size of his compensation package

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11962 on: April 24, 2024, 04:01:00 pm »

Are you going to make me listen to Talkshite, could you summarise?

Plays an excellent style of football, is a great communicator, he's paid an almost PL wage, far more than others in the Dutch league because Feyenoord wanted to keep him, had to rebuild the team recently after losing many of his players.

Danny asked him why he thinks he will do well at Liverpool considering Ten Hag has done such a bad job at Utd, and what the difference is. The journalist said he's a far better communicator and has a much more infectious personality. Which is important when you manage big players and have the pressure of a big club.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #11963 on: April 24, 2024, 04:02:30 pm »
The fact it is a Michael Edwards appointment really reassures me.

He speaks well, seems like a good character and plays a similar style to Klopp which is a better choice than completely changing the system like other managers would.

Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11964 on: April 24, 2024, 04:05:35 pm »
He looks like the Policeman in Breaking Bad.  Hank Schrader (Dean Norris).
This is true. Also looks quite like that darts player, is it Van Gerwen? Either way, not as handsome as Amorim.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11965 on: April 24, 2024, 04:09:11 pm »

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11966 on: April 24, 2024, 04:09:28 pm »
Rinus Michels once placed his hands on Slot's bald head. That does it for me. He is the true prophet.
Photo or it didnt happen.

It definitely happened

Spoiler
[close]
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11967 on: April 24, 2024, 04:09:56 pm »
I'm all aboard the Slot train.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #11968 on: April 24, 2024, 04:10:21 pm »
A thought just occurred to me that the Dutch lads in the team could play a crucial role here. Obv they talk to other Dutch players from Feyenoord during internationals and hear things on the player grapevine...so if a positive feed back about Slot they will share with the rest of squad which could be very important to him and players settling in.

Of course if its negative feedback were fucked! ;D

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11969 on: April 24, 2024, 04:11:00 pm »
Well that argument could be used against Alonso because Bayern are shit this year, league wise. Alonso still a better choice. We don't have much of a choice, slim pickings.

Disagree with that. Bayern are likely to finish the season with more points than the won the league with last season.

Alonso's team has been exceptional.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11970 on: April 24, 2024, 04:14:38 pm »

Wait, what!? Slot has some random persons approval on instagram!

I'm in!!!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #11971 on: April 24, 2024, 04:14:44 pm »
Second Captains  @SecondCaptains

Does Arne Slot's baldness indicate a lack of ambition? 

:D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11972 on: April 24, 2024, 04:14:45 pm »
Think Slot could be the machine we need. Cha-ching.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11973 on: April 24, 2024, 04:15:39 pm »
Rodgers had one bad start but then second half of his first season was encouraging. He then challenges for a title and gets CL. Then he has one bad season throughout and he is gone.

If Slot doesnt get us into fourth, we a much stronger squad with what Rodgers had, then he is at risk. He will be a bad start away from the boot.

Ah lads ..... come on ..... I mean ... come on ....

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11974 on: April 24, 2024, 04:16:27 pm »
Not a fan of the Pep comparisons, I wonder if he stores his piss in jars too.

Why? That should be seen as a positive, every top manager including Klopp has been influenced by Pep, he’s one of the most innovative coaches of our time. Every young coach with ambitions to be a great one day should be using him and Klopp has templates, just as much as the past great coaches used Michele and Sacchi as templates.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11975 on: April 24, 2024, 04:16:53 pm »
It definitely happened

Spoiler
[close]

Thank you Betts.

See, Moo Moo?

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11976 on: April 24, 2024, 04:17:19 pm »

"won the league, won the cup"

I also hear they've been to Europe too, but have they played the Toffees for a laugh?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #11977 on: April 24, 2024, 04:17:32 pm »
West Ham in talks with Julen Lopetegui over replacing David Moyes in summer

Former Wolves manager in frame for summer overhaul
Pursuit of Rúben Amorim may stall on €15m buyout clause

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/24/west-ham-talks-julen-lopetegui-replace-david-moyes-manager-premier-league
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11978 on: April 24, 2024, 04:17:59 pm »

Been having a think about the Rotterdam/Liverpool thing this afternoon. Some base level similarities.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11979 on: April 24, 2024, 04:20:03 pm »
Why? That should be seen as a positive, every top manager including Klopp has been influenced by Pep, he’s one of the most innovative coaches of our time. Every young coach with ambitions to be a great one day should be using him and Klopp has templates, just as much as the past great coaches used Michele and Sacchi as templates.

I just wanted to make a joke about Pep being a piss-gathering weirdo.

Offline rushandapush

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11980 on: April 24, 2024, 04:20:37 pm »
I wanted an Area Manager, i mean 'hairier' manager.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11981 on: April 24, 2024, 04:20:52 pm »
Disagree with that. Bayern are likely to finish the season with more points than the won the league with last season.

Alonso's team has been exceptional.

True. Let's not downplay Alonso's achievements.

He would have been my man. If he's backed by an excellent infrastructure and recruitment like he had at Leverkusen, then I can't see him failing.

But I also believe there are a good few suited to managing Liverpool. And Slot's Feyernoord or Amorim's Sporting are exceptions in Europe of clubs punching above their weights and breaking the established winners of their competitions. And all done so with clever, progressive coaching that has improved players markedly with some exceptional football on display. This is also what I tell myself when I see the likes of Ten Haag or Vilas-Boas failing in England; they did exceptionally well at their clubs.... but they were at clubs expected to dominate with their resources. Only winning the Champions League should alert people as it did with Mourinho. But it's often the case that if a major club like Ajax or Porto are run really well, it's beside the point who is the manager. Feyernood or Sporting Lisbon don't have that luxury and require a brilliant manager.

I know they're not elite leagues but they come from rich football cultures brimming with elite ideas, managers and players. That's got to count for something too. Feyernoord are European Cup winners too (beating a great Celtic in '70 no less) so these countries a geared towards knowing a thing or two.

Reading up from all the experts on both, whether you prefer Amorim or Slot, I think both are fair game for something big.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 04:25:25 pm by mattD »

Offline DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
« Reply #11982 on: April 24, 2024, 04:23:56 pm »
This pretty nails it, I think.
All in the past and if the Rodgers appointment was a mistake (I think it'd be a little harsh to say so), then it was a long time ago and I'm sure our owners will have learned from it.

Apparently they did and it is still relevant to who we are looking for https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2575877-how-brendan-rodgers-sowed-the-seeds-of-his-own-downfall-at-liverpool-fc
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #11983 on: April 24, 2024, 04:24:19 pm »
The fact that Bayern are considering Ragnick tells you everything you need to know about the managers market this summer. It is full of has-beens or inexperienced young coaches.

After thinking some more there really aren't any candidates with similar pedigree as Jurgen and Rafa were when we got them. The PL, Spain and Germany have been dominated by the same clubs. Italy is a bit of a strange one as we've had zero success with Italian players (Mo and Ali obviously not counted in that) and managers have failed outside of Italy in recent times.

I don't think we would ever look at a big name like Enrique or Xavi unless they were almost a guaranteed thing which they aren't.

We've always gone for the slight underdog, don't think that will change as we aren't going to outspend City, they are still the behemoth that we will have to overcome every season.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11984 on: April 24, 2024, 04:24:57 pm »

I'm in!!!

Probably more to do with the fact he's supported Feyernoord for 25 years and has probably watched Slot's team more than every single member of this forum combined multiple times over.

So yeah, a nice view from someone with some actual insight and knowledge rather than wet pants and gashed teeth.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #11985 on: April 24, 2024, 04:25:00 pm »
One Portuguese reporter, Bruno Andrade, stated that Amorim's trip to West Ham was to put pressure on us but we didn't bite and it therefore back-fired. Apparently Amorim will make a statement at the press conference before the Porto match this Saturday.

Personally I think this is bollix as there is no way that we would be petty like this. If we wanted Amorim then we would have gone for him and not "hesitated". It's more likely that we talked to Amorim but our main target was Slot. It could be just a story made up by the journalist or it could be coming from Amorim's agent for some reason.
#JFT97

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11986 on: April 24, 2024, 04:25:49 pm »
"won the league, won the cup"

I also hear they've been to Europe too, but have they played the Toffees for a laugh?

You seem really angry Bennett, are you ok? Did AI take your job?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11987 on: April 24, 2024, 04:28:04 pm »
Feyenoord fans saying Slot is one of their top 3 managers ever behind Ernst Happel and some other fella.  :D

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #11988 on: April 24, 2024, 04:29:46 pm »

I'm in!!!

Bit unfair that Andy. It's no bad thing to hear what the fans of his current club think. They clearly love the fella
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11989 on: April 24, 2024, 04:30:46 pm »
I wanted an Area Manager, i mean 'hairier' manager.

Just hope he doesn't fill the team with a load of 'cloggers'.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11990 on: April 24, 2024, 04:30:48 pm »

I'm in!!!

Yeah, we get it.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #11991 on: April 24, 2024, 04:30:53 pm »
So he's managed in Rotterdam and hates Roma...

He loves it in Rotterdam or possibly
Liverpool, but not Rome

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11992 on: April 24, 2024, 04:31:58 pm »
Mourinho hates him. That’s good enough for me.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #11993 on: April 24, 2024, 04:32:35 pm »
Probably more to do with the fact he's supported Feyernoord for 25 years and has probably watched Slot's team more than every single member of this forum combined multiple times over.

So yeah, a nice view from someone with some actual insight and knowledge rather than wet pants and gashed teeth.

That'd be a bit like if you were to ask Celtic fans who their best manager has been over the past 25 years and they would all say big Ange? If we were linked to him, would that have been enough for you as well? At the end of the day, these fans are watching these teams in inferior leagues where the quality of both opposition managers and players are pretty poor.

We'll just have to wait and see how it translate in the premier league when he faces a team with 11 men parked in front of their penalty box and managers with high tactical knowledge.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11994 on: April 24, 2024, 04:33:23 pm »
The fact that Bayern are considering Ragnick tells you everything you need to know about the managers market this summer. It is full of has-beens or inexperienced young coaches.

After thinking some more there really aren't any candidates with similar pedigree as Jurgen and Rafa were when we got them. The PL, Spain and Germany have been dominated by the same clubs. Italy is a bit of a strange one as we've had zero success with Italian players (Mo and Ali obviously not counted in that) and managers have failed outside of Italy in recent times.

I was stating this yesterday. We're in a cycle were the CL tends to be dominated by the same clubs. Allegri, Ancelotti, Guardiola, Klopp, Simeone, Tuchel and Zidane have all been in multiple finals during the period that Klopp has been with us. Even the EL during Klopp's tenure has been won by one manager (Emery) three times. There isn't the opportunities now for the likes of a Mourinho to win a CL with Porto. We saw when Arsenal went for Arteta (yes he had previously played for them) that they were having to take a risk based on profile and approach. Going forward you're going to see more clubs having to base their decisions less on a significant list of honours and more on a tactical fit.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 04:43:19 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11995 on: April 24, 2024, 04:33:48 pm »
Been having a think about the Rotterdam/Liverpool thing this afternoon. Some base level similarities.

Strong maritime history and culture.

One other thing with Feyernoord is they still play in De Kuip, one of the classic European stadiums that hasn't thankfully been replaced by an indentikit corporate dump.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11996 on: April 24, 2024, 04:33:57 pm »
That'd be a bit like if you were to ask Celtic fans who their best manager has been over the past 25 years and they would all say big Ange? If we were linked to him, would that have been enough for you as well? At the end of the day, these fans are watching these teams in inferior leagues where the quality of both opposition managers and players are pretty poor.

We'll just have to wait and see how it translate in the premier league when he faces a team with 11 men parked in front of their penalty box and managers with high tactical knowledge.

But it's still better than asking them and them saying "nah, he's actually pretty average and plays shit on a stick football - we're glad you're taking him off us".
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11997 on: April 24, 2024, 04:34:07 pm »

:lmao

He probably lives in Mumbai. Can't trust anything on Instagram these days.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11998 on: April 24, 2024, 04:34:54 pm »

Christ mate it's just a bit of nice context from a Feyenoord fan, no one said it was a deep-dive into his history and an unimpeachable review of his ability of a manager.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11999 on: April 24, 2024, 04:34:54 pm »

If you want to see the negative in everything sure, enjoy the echo chamber of doom.