Author Topic: Spirit of Shankly Statement on Regeneration Proposals  (Read 34772 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Spirit of Shankly Statement on Regeneration Proposals
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2012, 06:52:24 pm »
Basically the same issue of others in this thread, that they do themselves much more harm than good with passive aggressive statements like the one in question.

You're the only one who's made that suggestion, most of us value what SoS have done and are trying to do for the ordinary supporter.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2012, 07:58:49 pm »
You're the only one who's made that suggestion, most of us value what SoS have done and are trying to do for the ordinary supporter.

Indeed Phil.  It would be handy if those moaning about SoS could be arsed to visit their website and actually read of the most constructive work they are doing, not only for the benefit their own members but also for the benefit of supporters generally and for that of the Anfield community.  But perhaps whining in ignorance is more to their taste.  :wanker
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Figsy Le Bon

• Anny Roader
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:29 am »
Indeed Phil.  It would be handy if those moaning about SoS could be arsed to visit their website and actually read of the most constructive work they are doing, not only for the benefit their own members but also for the benefit of supporters generally and for that of the Anfield community.  But perhaps whining in ignorance is more to their taste.  :wanker

whining in ignorance is something of a passion of mine
"Get over here. Now. Might be advisable to wear brown trousers and a shirt the colour of blood." - Malcolm Tucker

Offline GeeFJay

• aka 'Gazvinder Singh - Serial stalker.' Subject of a staffroom restraining order.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • insults.net
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2012, 01:02:28 pm »
i see that as sarcasm but sometimes i'm not sure of half the folk on here these days!
http://www.quidco.com/user/745087/

www.misternobody.co.uk

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html

banner stolen on pre-season tour 2009 'liverpool fc europes finest five star establishment'

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2012, 01:45:20 pm »
i see that as sarcasm but sometimes i'm not sure of half the folk on here these days!

Indeed mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2012, 07:15:59 pm »
whining in ignorance is something of a passion of mine

Indeed, but is it really necessary to indulge yourself so frequently?

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2012, 08:38:39 pm »
As a member of SOS I totally agree with the statement on regeneration. Some might argue about part of the final sentence, but hey - let's get some perspective. In the context of the substantive issues in the statement as a whole, imo the last bit is 'small beer' really.

As a trade union member too, who is used to electing delegates to speak for me, I'm very comfortable having an elected committee to run SOS and speak publicly on behalf of its' members. And in that regard, the committee members of SOS deserve my thanks - it's them that put the work in mostly ! Brilliant work at that - if people would just visit their website they may be better informed as to the efforts and progress they are trying to make for all supporters and the wider community.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2012, 11:36:13 pm »
As a member of SOS I totally agree with the statement on regeneration. Some might argue about part of the final sentence, but hey - let's get some perspective. In the context of the substantive issues in the statement as a whole, imo the last bit is 'small beer' really.

As a trade union member too, who is used to electing delegates to speak for me, I'm very comfortable having an elected committee to run SOS and speak publicly on behalf of its' members. And in that regard, the committee members of SOS deserve my thanks - it's them that put the work in mostly ! Brilliant work at that - if people would just visit their website they may be better informed as to the efforts and progress they are trying to make for all supporters and the wider community.

'Small beer' or not, it was unnecessary as I think you admit in your response. No one doubts SoS had a fundamental role in the past in ridding the club of H&G, but I also feel they are still far too miltaristic and antagonistic than is required at this time, surely at this time it's all about building relationships and bridges?

I remember the SoS letter about selecting a manager and the procese involved, based on the theory it was Martinez being picked, so early on in the process which when released to the mainstream media made the fans look extremely foolish. Rather embarrassing indeed.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:19 am »
'Small beer' or not, it was unnecessary as I think you admit in your response. No one doubts SoS had a fundamental role in the past in ridding the club of H&G, but I also feel they are still far too miltaristic and antagonistic than is required at this time, surely at this time it's all about building relationships and bridges?

I remember the SoS letter about selecting a manager and the procese involved, based on the theory it was Martinez being picked, so early on in the process which when released to the mainstream media made the fans look extremely foolish. Rather embarrassing indeed.

You know what's embarrassing? Your contempt for a dead sound organisation that represents match going fans who follow our club through thick and thin rather than pontificating from afar. That's embarrassing. Look at the bigger picture and you would appreciate SOS as one of the few fan based groups left who have their feet firmly planted in the community our club (used to) serve
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »
You know what's embarrassing? Your contempt for a dead sound organisation that represents match going fans who follow our club through thick and thin rather than pontificating from afar. That's embarrassing. Look at the bigger picture and you would appreciate SOS as one of the few fan based groups left who have their feet firmly planted in the community our club (used to) serve

Sheesh, should have known you'd respond. Do you follow my posts looking for something to attack?

I'm not going to respond to you apart from to say that I made it clear I have respect for SoS and especially what they've done in the past but that what was needed in the H&G days is not the same as what is needed now.

If you have a problem with that, or me as always, then PM me so at least no-one else has to waste their time with it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:30:52 pm by JohnHobbes »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2012, 01:27:20 pm »
Anyone wondering how the  SoS meets the today's needs and works with and for other organisations only needs to log onto their website to read the excellent news of the successful outcome of the Sunderland/Durham Police Complaint Decision.  Despite the LSU and FSF's  original complaint not being upheld, the SoS worked with the FSF and their solicitors to raise the complaint again.  This time the complaint was upheld.  The implications of this are that any person affected by the police action, particularly in the coaches may potentially be able to claim compensation.  SoS are in contact with those it knows travelled with the union or gave evidence statements to SoS.

An outstanding example of how SoS works TODAY with other organisations for the benefit of their members and the Liverpool football community. 

So have a look at their website and some of you might glean some worthwhile knowledge.

Or you could, of course, continue to whine in ignorance.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2012, 01:51:16 pm »
Anyone wondering how the  SoS meets the today's needs and works with and for other organisations only needs to log onto their website

<snip>

Or you could, of course, continue to whine in ignorance.

The complaint was that the sentence in question was unnecessarily belligerent and contrasted with the tone of the rest of statement, and that was the reason that many flagged it as such.

I'm well aware having visited the website, as I trust many others are, of what SoS have done and are grateful for what they've achieved both past and present but it doesn't mean that everything they do/said has to be rubber stamped with approval for fear of being accused of 'contempt' or 'whining through ignorance'.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2012, 06:27:22 pm »
^ I have to back up John here. I think, ironically, there's been an overreaction to criticism of a tiny aspect of what SOS have done, as if it's been a broad attack on the organisation itself. It serves no purpose to imply that any criticism whatsoever makes you whiney, or an armchair fan, or whatever. It's pretty insulting, not only to me, John or whoever, but also to SOS...an organisation that should (and by and large is) open to criticism and which gets stronger because of it, when it develops and adapts.

I liken how I feel about SOS to how I feel about the Labour Party. If there was a general election tomorrow, I would - all things being equal - vote for them. I like a lot of their policies. I admire what they've done in the past and I dread to think what UK politics would be like without them. But I also think they get things wrong. That's normal; it's just personal opinion, and it's my right to express that. Jumping down someone's throat with unnecessary insults for relatively mild and at least reasonably well-expressed criticism achieves nothing and misses the point. It's as if I've said 'Labour's policy on the additional runway at Heathrow is wrong' and the reply coming back 'You whiney idiot don't you realise they created the NHS, supported worker's rights and kept the Tories in check?'.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2012, 06:39:49 pm »
It's as if I've said 'Labour's policy on the additional runway at Heathrow is wrong' and the reply coming back 'You whiney idiot don't you realise they created the NHS, supported worker's rights and kept the Tories in check?'.

But that response would refer to what they've done in the past would it not?  Similar to:

what was needed in the H&G days is not the same as what is needed now.

My post demonstrated that SoS does not merely rest on its past achievements in the "H&G days", but deals exceptionally well with "what is needed now". 

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »

A reasonable post Farman. BUT it's every SOS statement that gets criticised (maybe not by the same people every time, I don't keep track, but criticised nonetheless). So to take your Labour Party analogy - it's as if every speech made at the Labour Party conference by a Labour supporter was jeered and ridiculed by its own fellow Labour supporters in the audience. You're right - they should be able to take criticism on board, and constructive criticism they do; but there's undeniably a certain percentage of LFC supporters who seem...and I'm not sure what the word is...contemptuous I suppose...about another group of supporters who simply work hard on their behalf and try to make things better for the ordinary fan. It's a bit odd really. A bit sad (as in dispiriting).

This statement actually got off fairly lightly, but probably because it was moved quite quickly out of the main forum.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2012, 09:37:51 am »
Sheesh, should have known you'd respond. Do you follow my posts looking for something to attack?

I'm not going to respond to you apart from to say that I made it clear I have respect for SoS and especially what they've done in the past but that what was needed in the H&G days is not the same as what is needed now.

If you have a problem with that, or me as always, then PM me so at least no-one else has to waste their time with it.

Grow up you tart
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2012, 10:38:18 am »
My post demonstrated that SoS does not merely rest on its past achievements in the "H&G days", but deals exceptionally well with "what is needed now". 

As Farman so eloquently pointed out, (most) people don't criticise an action of/statement by SoS because they want to be nasty/take potshots but because they are trying to be helpful with constructive criticism.

My criticism was two fold and extremely tailored to that sentence in the statement and the rather rash reactionary statement on manager selection. It was not an overall encompassing one on SoS but on a few select points. I'm well aware of SoS's changing role but the work that they've done recently in building bridges as you point out isn't helped surely by snide attacks in statements? If they wanted to distinguish between fans and club/players why do it in such aggressive terms and why not with something a little more subtle but still making the point?

It feels to me from these things above (and seemingly others on here) that there is still a feeling of need in SoS to have to react quickly to things and with 'force' before something bad happens. As someone else aptly said once, it's analogous to a boyfriend/girlfriend was unfaithful and so the next one gets treated with suspicion with everything they do just in case. It's not conducive to a healthy relationship and it doesn't accept the fact that sometimes some people are just plain nasty with no regards to your own behaviour. They'd have done it anyway, you've got to move on and not let it make you a worse individual.

We know FSG have screwed up decisions and they do need guidance but that doesn't mean we need to be paranoid about their intentions just because of H&G. If they do turn out that way, well the pitchforks can be sharpened and used. Otherwise SoS should continue to be there at the forefront encouraging, cajoling and working with the club/others as best as they can (even if those others don't reciprocate) and not making silly snide unnecessary throw away comments in otherwise good solid statements. Reactionary and forceful was needed in H&G days first to get awareness, and then to get things done but now it's completely the wrong approach.

Maggie, my point was that if even just 0.01% of that combativeness is still residual in the collective thought and slips through in statements then surely people are not wrong to point that out. Doesn't mean that the other 99.99% is being criticised, a critique of one small part doesn't invalidate great works.

As Farman pointed out, a great institution whilst improving things immeasurably in the grand scheme of things can still do small things that frustrate or confound us.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2012, 11:55:35 am »
It's called having a social conscience maybe the millionaire footballers and billionaire owners should look down from their ivory towers and try it for a change. Funny how when we were being told all stakeholders were involved no one bothered to actually invite the people who have had their lives blighted for years. Maybe that's because they are not seen as stakeholders but a bloody nuisance for having the bloody temerity to ask for what there houses are worth.

Anyone objecting to SOS trying to prick the conscience of the stinking rich might want to look at the conditions the people of Anfield have been forced to live in, just because a Football Club who uses the stadium 20-30 times a year fancies a bit more dough. Instead of attacking the people pointing out the truth, maybe it might be a good idea to look behind the sugar coated fantasy of everyone pulling together for the so called common good and look at the working class people being trampled on because people with huge simply wealth need another Bentley to park in the garage or another franchise to play with.

What is wrong with SOS pointing out that the most important people are not the pampered prima donas who front up 20-30 times a year or the transatlantic day trippers but the ordinary hard working people trying to raise their families in a shit hole deliberately created by people for their own selfish ends. The name says it all Spirit of Shankly I know which side of the divide I think the great man would be on.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

I don't see the people being offered a pittance for their houses sharing in the rewards do you ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2012, 11:59:59 am »
It's called having a social conscience maybe the millionaire footballers and billionaire owners should look down from their ivory towers and try it for a change. Funny how when we were being told all stakeholders were involved no one bothered to actually invite the people who have had their lives blighted for years. Maybe that's because they are not seen as stakeholders but a bloody nuisance for having the bloody temerity to ask for what there houses are worth.

But they have been invited and attended many meetings held by the LCC, and at the same time the LCC and club have attended the residents meetings also. The local housing association forums confirm this.

I agree with your point strangely, but lets not make up lies to try to back it up.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:37 pm »
But they have been invited and attended many meetings held by the LCC, and at the same time the LCC and club have attended the residents meetings also. The local housing association forums confirm this.

I agree with your point strangely, but lets not make up lies to try to back it up.

Who is making things up ?

The Club has deliberately bought up houses and then boarded them up and blighted the lives of the people immediately surrounding the ground for over a decade, so in your world that's okay as long as you attend a few meetings and drop in a few platitudes here and there. 

The biggest problem here for me is that SOS have actually shown a social conscience and people don't like it.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »
Who is making things up ?

The Club has deliberately bought up houses and then boarded them up and blighted the lives of the people immediately surrounding the ground for over a decade, so in your world that's okay as long as you attend a few meetings and drop in a few platitudes here and there. 

The biggest problem here for me is that SOS have actually shown a social conscience and people don't like it.

Thats not what you said though was it? You said that certain stakeholders (local residents) hadn't been invited to be involved in this process, but they clearly have been (even if the outcome is not what they wanted, which is actually to stay where they are, nothing to do with money).

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #101 on: October 27, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »
Thats not what you said though was it? You said that certain stakeholders (local residents) hadn't been invited to be involved in this process, but they clearly have been (even if the outcome is not what they wanted, which is actually to stay where they are, nothing to do with money).

The local residents knew absolutely fuck all about the announcement until it was leaked so how the hell could they of been involved. Are you seriously suggesting that local residents were consulted about Liverpool extending Anfield before the announcement.?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2012, 02:30:18 pm »
The local residents knew absolutely fuck all about the announcement until it was leaked so how the hell could they of been involved. Are you seriously suggesting that local residents were consulted about Liverpool extending Anfield before the announcement.?

Have you been living under a rock?

It was posted on here a few months ago that public meetings were being held. I posted up scanned letters sent to local residents from LCC. Someone posted up details of an offer letter sent to his mate who owns a house down on of the streets. Peter attended one of the meetings and posted up details of the various options LCC were putting up for public consultation. Etc. etc.

The residents have known about it for months upon months and have been speaking to the club and LCC during this time.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »

The area and the city has been in general decline since the 80s. Houses were empty and becoming rat infested. Gangs were lighting fires, taking drugs and terrorising the residents. The club has bought houses that were already empty and no-one wanted. They boarded them up to keep them safe and the scallies out. They cleaned up jiggers and back alleys.

There has been a full public consultation on the regeneration proposals for the Rockfield Triangle. Some chose to participate. Others chose not to. Of those that did, the majority voted in favour of one proposal and that proposal is going ahead. Council have the moral and legal obligation to do something about it and they have. The club - multi-millionaires or not - do not.

The area will be fixed up. Every house that can be fixed and hasn't already been fixed, will be fixed. Those that can't be saved - those that it would cost more than people can afford - will be demolished.

It does seem that council will not have to buy the club's properties off them. Council need not be grateful as it would be in the residents' and the club's mutual interest for those houses to go. If they do not go, they have to be fixed at a price which no-one can afford to live in. Those are the economic realities.

Residents will get assistance and compensation to move to as-new homes in very preferential circumstances. A very good deal, all things considered. After all, council is not allowed to do houses up and give them away.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:53:02 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2012, 02:52:51 pm »
Could you please explain the difference between the houses in the Rockfield triangle and the house in the triangle bordered by Oakfield Rd- Walton Breck and Oakfield. Why didn't the houses in that triangle become empty and rat infested and unwanted ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2012, 02:58:07 pm »
Could you please explain the difference between the houses in the Rockfield triangle and the house in the triangle bordered by Oakfield Rd- Walton Breck and Oakfield. Why didn't the houses in that triangle become empty and rat infested and unwanted ?

Ask the scallies. Or was it that those houses got boarded up too?

Or was it that the whole 1700 homes of the Anfield/Breckfield renewal area needed fixing?? Was that the club's fault too?

And why stop there? Let's talk about the decline of the rest of North Liverpool - yeah, all down to the multi-millionaires at LFC.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:06:25 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »
Ask the scallies. Or was it that they got boarded up too?

Or was it that the whole 1700 homes of the Anfield/Breckfield renewal area needed fixing?? (And was being fixed under the previous government). Was that the club's fault too? Why stop there? Let's talk about the rest of North Liverpool - yeah, all down to LFC.

The houses were allowed to fall into a state of disrepair there are identical houses all over the area, the other side of the ground or across the park near Goodison. It was done deliberately in exactly the same way the houses along the Edge Lane corridor or the houses around the Welsh streets were allowed to fall into disrepair.

A perfect example is Kensington where they were going to demolish the likes of Albany, Saxony etc right up to Leopold. The residents put up a fight and the houses were transformed. The best bit is you have spent years telling us how much economic sense it makes not to demolish Anfield and to redevelop it but want to demolish houses left right and centre to make that possible.

Let's get back on topic for me SOS as a socialist organisation that cares about working class people has every right to comment on the plight of the people of Anfield.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »
Typical Al ignoring when he was wrong and going for another line of attack.

You can't really compare the arguments for redeveloping a £300m stadium to houses worth £50k.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2012, 03:14:58 pm »
What am I ignoring ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2012, 03:20:18 pm »

The houses were allowed to fall into a state of disrepair there are identical houses all over the area, the other side of the ground or across the park near Goodison. It was done deliberately in exactly the same way the houses along the Edge Lane corridor or the houses around the Welsh streets were allowed to fall into disrepair.

A perfect example is Kensington where they were going to demolish the likes of Albany, Saxony etc right up to Leopold. The residents put up a fight and the houses were transformed. The best bit is you have spent years telling us how much economic sense it makes not to demolish Anfield and to redevelop it but want to demolish houses left right and centre to make that possible.

Let's get back on topic for me SOS as a socialist organisation that cares about working class people has every right to comment on the plight of the people of Anfield.

Deliberately. Done deliberately. Let a whole section of a city from the city centre to the boundaries go to wrack and ruin to build a stadium. Do you read what you write?

We are redeveloping the stadium because it's economically right for the club. Council is redeveloping houses because it is economically right for the community. In both cases, the un-economic bits must go.

What am I ignoring ?

You've ignored the last 30 years decline of the whole area - not just one little bit next to a football ground.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:29:12 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2012, 03:23:02 pm »
What am I ignoring ?

The fact that local residents have been having meetings with LCC and LFC (and others) for a long while now, which you said never happened and you said they knew nothing of it until the desire to stay at Anfield was announced.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »
So where apart from the area that the Club and LCC wanted to redevelop are there rows and rows of empty houses in Anfield. There aren't, are there no scallies around Priory Rd, Stanley Park Avenue, Pinehurst or any of the other areas.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2012, 03:30:20 pm »
So where apart from the area that the Club and LCC wanted to redevelop are there rows and rows of empty houses in Anfield. There aren't, are there no scallies around Priory Rd, Stanley Park Avenue, Pinehurst or any of the other areas.

Have you walked round those streets recently? Houses all around Anfield have been boarded up for absolutely ages, some of which in the last year have begun to be demolished so new can be built in their place - none of which LFC own/owned BTW.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »
The fact that local residents have been having meetings with LCC and LFC (and others) for a long while now, which you said never happened and you said they knew nothing of it until the desire to stay at Anfield was announced.

When did I say meetings didn't happen what I said was that the first the residents knew about the redevelopment of Anfield was when it was leaked to the press. Anderson even admitted that consultations with local residents will take place when pressed.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2012, 03:34:13 pm »

There are 50% empty houses in the Rockfield Triangle. Here (just one area), pick a street - any street - and you'll find just as many.

Notice the title - Phasing for Clearance - that was when the government was paying and council could afford new homes (extraordinarily wasteful as it was). Now the plans are about economic refurbishment.:

StanleyParkPhasingPlan by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:37:38 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2012, 03:36:49 pm »
Have you walked round those streets recently? Houses all around Anfield have been boarded up for absolutely ages, some of which in the last year have begun to be demolished so new can be built in their place - none of which LFC own/owned BTW.

Where are you talking about ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2012, 03:41:59 pm »
Where are you talking about ?

Anywhere in that area. Open your eyes. Look at that plan.

When did I say meetings didn't happen what I said was that the first the residents knew about the redevelopment of Anfield was when it was leaked to the press. Anderson even admitted that consultations with local residents will take place when pressed.

You said "The local residents knew absolutely fuck all about the announcement" and the announcement was about regeneration. Or did you not listen (as well as not see)?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:44:08 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2012, 03:45:26 pm »
There are 50% empty houses in the Rockfield Triangle. Here (just one area), pick a street - any street - and you'll find just as many.

Notice the title - Phasing for Clearance - that was when the government was paying and council could afford new homes (extraordinarily wasteful as it was). Now the plans are about economic refurbishment.:

StanleyParkPhasingPlan by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

That area is precisely the area that was being redeveloped as part of the regeneration that was planned a a decade ago and would of been regenerated if the Club under Parry hadn't of pissed about so much humming and harring. Once there are plans to demolish houses and regenerate then people are moved out, houses are boarded up and the area goes to rack and ruin. As for the government paying for it wasn't it mostly European objective one funding.

From the Echo.

Liverpool Football Club should not be allowed to build its new £180m stadium on Stanley Park unless the rest of the Anfield Regeneration programme goes ahead, councillors were told yesterday.

The city council's executive board was told by Executive member Cllr Flo Clucas that, if a public funding package was lost, the entire programme to breathe new life into the Anfield area would also collapse.

Cllr Paul Clein told the meeting that he would oppose any bid by the club to build a go-it-alone stadium, irrespective of the public sector works.

The club has until the first two weeks of September to come up with a solution to draw down £18m-worth of funding, including £9m from European Objective 1 funding, which would trigger a further £9.1m from the Northwest Development Agency.

Last night, club chief executive Rick Parry insisted it was still on target to fund the proposed stadium, despite this week losing its "front runner" status for the £9m Objective 1 cash.

Liverpool FC already has planning permission to build its new stadium in the area.

But the scheme is linked to a widescale New Anfield Regeneration plan that will see new and improved homes and leisure facilities for thousands living in the shadow of the club.

Cllr Clucas told the executive board that, if the stadium does not proceed, the regeneration package also falls.

She said talks were planned with the club as well as government officials about the scheme.

"I believe the club has until the first week in September, or the early part of the second week, to come up with funding," she said, adding that any further would mean a schedule for European and regional aid would not be spent to a laid-down timetable.

The stadium itself does not depend on public aid, and will be funded entirely by the club.

The public money is earmarked for infrastructure work around the stadium. Cllr Clein said: "There is a possibility of the stadium going ahead without any public funding. But if the club wants a new stadium it must be part of a full package.

"There is no way we will allow a stadium to be built without all the benefits for the community. If Liverpool FC think they can go ahead without the public projects, they can think again."

Cllr Clucas said the club was signed up to a full regeneration package.

Yesterday, Mr Parry said the decision by Objective 1 managers was not a setback for the club. He said the club would provide assurances being sought by a September deadline.

The decision means the club now has to compete with other projects for financial aid from Brussels.

The money is conditional on it being spent by 2008, otherwise it will be lost. Last night, a spokesman for Liverpool FC said: "We understand the deadlines that lie ahead."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:53:22 pm by Al 555 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2012, 03:47:29 pm »
Anywhere in that area. Open your eyes. Look at that plan.

You said "The local residents knew absolutely fuck all about the announcement" and the announcement was about regeneration. Or did you not listen (as well as not see)?

The Rockfield triangle was being redeveloped as the Anfield village project LFC has basically tagged on to an existing project.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2012, 03:52:47 pm »
That area is precisely the area that was being redeveloped as part of the regeneration that was planned a a decade ago and would of been regenerated if the Club under Parry hadn't of pissed about so much humming and harring. Once there are plans to demolish houses and regenerate then people are moved out, houses are boarded up and the area goes to rack and ruin. As for the government paying for it wasn't it mostly European objective one funding.

All right. I understand. You know damn all about it. The area shown is the Housing Market Renewal Initiative area for Anfield Breckfield.

HMRI was a central-government funded scheme to subsidise the cost of building new homes in depressed areas for which there was no market. ie., to help build homes in areas that people didn't want.

Grant Shapps pulled the plug on the necessary £130m as soon as this government came into power. Nothing to do with the club or Rick Parry. Nothing to do with Europe.