Author Topic: Announcement on Anfield redevelopment due Monday  (Read 82137 times)

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Announcement on anfield redevelopment due monday
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »
Time of the month I think mate. Then again it always seems to be that time of the month for andu

;D

Personally I would love us to stay at Anfield, but worry that staying in our home may mean we lose out financially.

I'd be interested to see a proposal of how the redevelopment would work, specifically how much by and how long we would have to reduce our capacity for during the construction.

I can understand people's skepticism when it comes to FSG but at least they seem ready to declare their intentions.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2012, 07:17:50 pm »
I see the usual suspects are out in play even when FSG are actually doing something right.

There is no winning.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »
In 2002 it was estimated to cost £60 million for the stadium, now its in the £400 million region.

I didn't want to get into numbers, but documents I've seen estimate higher than you, but point I was making in any case. Parry certainly claimed that the cost of a new stadium was less than redeveloping and that closing the Main Stand with offices, changies, etc. would be massively costly & impractical.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #203 on: October 13, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »
I wonder how much the repayments would have been and how far beyond dave and rick it would have been.

£4-5million a year max off the top of my head if they borrowed the whole £60 million, it was a no brainer for anyone with a brain...
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2012, 07:24:37 pm »
£4-5million a year max off the top of my head if they borrowed the whole £60 million, it was a no brainer for anyone with a brain...

Hang on it was quite strongly opposed by a large proprtion of our fans, you saying they have no brain?

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2012, 07:31:00 pm »
Could FSG sell naming rights to the new stands rather than the ground itself? Got no idea how valueable a stands name would be mind.

We all know West Brom play at The Hawthorns. Every RAWK user knows that. Yet, I'd be amazed if 10% of them would be able to name a single name of a Hawthorns stand, apart from travelling Kopites. People don't give any significance to most stands. The Kop would be valuable because it's well-known, but I'd guess about half of the people wouldn't know when we'd call the Centenary Stand the Vodafone Stand from now on.
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2012, 07:31:20 pm »
I see the usual suspects are out in play even when FSG are actually doing something right.

There is no winning.

That's pretty condesending - it's perfectly fine to think a new stadium is the better option

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2012, 07:31:51 pm »
People really will complain about anything.

Fucking hell what's with the negativity? Get a grip.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2012, 07:36:25 pm »
Hang on it was quite strongly opposed by a large proprtion of our fans, you saying they have no brain?

Im refering to Moores and Parry refusing to borrow £60 million to build a stadium, and instead look to sell the club to someone who was prepared to build the stadium... from a business point of view it was a a poor decision for them not to borrow the money and build the stadium when they could.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2012, 07:37:24 pm »
That's pretty condesending - it's perfectly fine to think a new stadium is the better option

I'm not talking about those who think a new stadium is a better option. I'm talking about those who think actual progress on the stadium/redevelopment front means nothing at all.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2012, 07:38:16 pm »

But if we are honest, few of us are anywhere near well enough informed to support any sort of informed discussion, mostly based on sentimentality v pseudo financial acumen, its bad enough when we all think we know what's going wrong with Borini or Jen Chang, but what the fuck? We can't have talk shite.

.......should be out on a Saturday, know that.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2012, 07:41:05 pm »
But if we are honest, few of us are anywhere near well enough informed to support any sort of informed discussion, mostly based on sentimentality v pseudo financial acumen, its bad enough when we all think we know what's going wrong with Borini or Jen Chang, but what the fuck? We can't have talk shite.

.......should be out on a Saturday, know that.

Spot on, and on the note im off to the pub.

Have a good evening one and all!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline cmoogster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2012, 07:42:35 pm »
am I the only one that thinks this is positive news??

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:21 pm »
In 2002 it was estimated to cost £60 million for the stadium, now its in the £400 million region.

My guess is that whoever did that estimate probably took too much info from recently constructed stadia.

In 1997 The Reebok Stadium cost £25m to build in a field at the side of a motorway and only had 25,000 seats.  Riverside stadium cost £16m, Sunderland Stadium of Light £25m - both built in fields at the side of Rivers.  All the above had one thing in common - they had good access to site and were away from any residential areas.

Costs should be considered for new stadium in built up areas which consider logistical problems.

Newcastle United's extension cost £40m+ and was completed in 2000.

The Millennium Stadium in Wales cost £130m+.  Ok it had a roof on it and 73,500 seats but also consider that the project was part of the reason Laing's (The Contractors) went bust.  Someone dropped a bollock on the steelwork quantification.

Rick Parry's estimate was well and truly out and probably came from a chat with a QS over the phone.  I reckon his starting point for a 'new' Anfield back in 2002 would have been closer to twice that original estimate.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:55 pm »
We can easily fill that. I think 65k is what we could fill week in week out of course good marketing and reasonable prices will be required.

Dream on.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2012, 07:51:30 pm »
My guess is that whoever did that estimate probably took too much info from recently constructed stadia.

I'm not sure £60 mill was the original estimation, I still have all the original documentation as well as the specs put together by Atkins, from memory it was nearer £100 mill, considered large at the time but a fraction of the Arsenal cost and consuderably less than millenium.

Offline Mali1

• No chance. Not all. Never. Hope died long ago, left dangling pitifully and listlessly from my tree of despondency and despair. Oh yes.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2012, 07:52:46 pm »
Dream on.

I don't think it's difficult to fill 65k seats for a club like ours. I don't have sufficient records on my fan card, hence, difficult to get any ticket and have to rely on ticket ballot most of the times. Having more capacity will open more opportunities for long-distance fans. I believe there are many people like me.

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2012, 07:53:47 pm »
Dream on.

If we're playing our current brand of expansive football, with Suarez, Sahin, Allen, Sterling, Suso etc to watch & we're higher up the table, why wouldn't we fill 65K Seats?

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #218 on: October 13, 2012, 07:54:50 pm »
I didn't want to get into numbers, but documents I've seen estimate higher than you, but point I was making in any case. Parry certainly claimed that the cost of a new stadium was less than redeveloping and that closing the Main Stand with offices, changies, etc. would be massively costly & impractical.

It is what is included in that original estimate and what is included in the £400m one.  He might have been using it has a method to appease the fans who wanted to stay at Anfield?

If you look at the cost of Newcastle's extension to the Milburn stand, it cost £42m.  Much of that isn't owed to the actual Construction, it is owed to the City Centre location and difficulty working there.  Likewise, many of the new stadia built in that era were out of town and away from residential areas.  The land was cheap and few problems in the ground would be encountered.  So if you pro-rata costs on the new stadia and consider lost revenue from the stand closures then it is easy to understand Parry's flawed numbers

Big difference

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 13, 2012, 07:55:32 pm »
If we're playing our current brand of expansive football, with Suarez, Sahin, Allen, Sterling, Suso etc to watch & we're higher up the table, why wouldn't we fill 65K Seats?

Do you mean that brand of football that seen us without a home win? Home games against Anzhi & Swansea, at a reduced price, on general sale, any takers?

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2012, 07:55:34 pm »
Allllll rooound the fields of the SuperReds McWhopper Bowl road...  :-X

Prawn Sandwich Avenue

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2012, 07:59:37 pm »

There is no winning.

The announcement's coming from the council. I'll give credit if it ever actually gets built.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2012, 08:05:23 pm »
I'm not sure £60 mill was the original estimation, I still have all the original documentation as well as the specs put together by Atkins, from memory it was nearer £100 mill, considered large at the time but a fraction of the Arsenal cost and consuderably less than millenium.

Possibly £100m - I'd think that would be closer back then.

I do remember reading something about Parry flaunting numbers about and I thought it was considerably less than £100m - can't find it on the internet.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #223 on: October 13, 2012, 08:06:45 pm »
Possibly £100m - I'd think that would be closer back then.

I do remember reading something about Parry flaunting numbers about and I thought it was considerably less than £100m - can't find it on the internet.

Looking at the cost of stadia ten years ago, it absolutely crushes me to see the figures bandied about now.

What changed? Why would a new Anfield cost TEN times more than St Marys in Southampton?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #224 on: October 13, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »
The announcement's coming from the council. I'll give credit if it ever actually gets built.

Isn't that a good thing?

If LCC say "LFC, you can extend the stadium as long as you satisfy 'A', 'B' and 'C' then there is clarity and little for FSG to hide behind.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2012, 08:09:12 pm »
Isn't that a good thing?

If LCC say "LFC, you can extend the stadium as long as you satisfy 'A', 'B' and 'C' then there is clarity and little for FSG to hide behind.

It's a start.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »
Isn't that a good thing?

This

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »
Dream on.

Care to expand on that?

I think we could fill 65k - the ST waiting list alone would contribute largely to that.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2012, 08:23:51 pm »
Looking at the cost of stadia ten years ago, it absolutely crushes me to see the figures bandied about now.

What changed? Why would a new Anfield cost TEN times more than St Marys in Southampton?
for starters energy costs are about double what it was ten years ago. That affects the cost of everything.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2012, 08:34:01 pm »

Numerous things:

Location.  This is a big one.  It raises issues for planning and working hours.  Getting materials into the area and putting them up.  Getting surplus out of the area

Ground Conditions.  If you are building in a field that hasn't been built on you are less likely to hit something in the ground

Labour and Plant increases.  Supply and demand.  5 years ago Tata (or Corus as it was) were giving you 9 weeks lead in for steel.  Costs increased through demand.  Now though - the demand is less mind.

Health and Safety.  Consistently changing - changes the way you build things in a safe manner

Environment & Sustainability.  New buildings are categorised to monitor what emissions they give out.  The cost of achieving BREEAM ratings is quite significant

Quality.  Not sure of the St Mary's quality - never been there.  But as an example, if a stadium is built as a metal box with cladding, composite cladding costs around £60/m2 with rails.  Insulated block and single skin cladding will cost similar.  If it is built from cavity wall (brick - ins cavity - block) you are talking more like £100-£110 depending on brick quality.  Consider the amount of brickwork at Anfield and it is easy to see why costs can differ.  Again, planning will be a driver to this.

Inflation.  Cost of living increases each year.  Inflation in building used to be circa 2.5% a year.  So 25% increase is potentially due to this.

Infrastructure.  Might also be a big cost.  When we increase the size of something we naturally increase the demand for things that drives it.  i.e. Electricity and Power.  If this is available within the existing grid - fine.  If not, then we need to provide it which means new mains branches and substations.

Procurement
.  Who owns the risk of the cost?  Contractor or LFC?

The other thing is, what is included within the St Mary's stadium and what is included in our estimate of £400m?  Hotels, conference facilities, transport infrastructure etc etc.  We could easily be comparing apples with oranges

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:45 pm »
Is this anything to do with David Cameron announcing changes to rules for planning applications?

Can we expect St Helens Glass to be erecting a mammoth conservatory with seating for 10,000?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »
Is this anything to do with David Cameron announcing changes to rules for planning applications?

Them changes are highly unlikely to happen.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2012, 08:48:35 pm »
It's a start.

I'm no FSG fan - they are business men who exist to make money.  If they make their money cleverly and at the same time make us successful, I do not have a problem with that at all.  Call it a partnership with the fans.

However, activities from last May to the end of August have got me looking at FSG differently.  Excluding the way the handled Kenny's dismissal, it might be that they are trying to do the stadium bit right.

If they get this in place and bring in the right players in the next two windows, I think they have a very good chance of making us a self sufficient club.

I have to admit, if they fail in the next two windows and they botch the stadium bit then I'll hold my hands up.

Offline JohnOK

• Main Stander
« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2012, 08:48:42 pm »

What changes are those then?

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2012, 08:50:27 pm »

Can we expect St Helens Glass to be erecting a mammoth conservatory with seating for 10,000?

Might get a little sweaty on a sunny August afternoon

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »

Bascially Cameron wanting neighbours to fight with each other and councils not having control by allowing houseowners to extend their homes without planning permission.

It's dreamland thinking - its not happening.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:58:35 pm by Fordy »

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2012, 08:58:40 pm »
this announcement is only about the housing surrounding Anfield, there is nothing to suggest anything will be announced about the ground being redeveloped.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2012, 08:59:31 pm »

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN06418

Originally thought it was only householders, but business premises are mentioned -

"• increase existing permitted development rights for extensions to homes and business premises, in non protected areas, for a three-year period."

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2012, 09:01:35 pm »
Might get a little sweaty on a sunny August afternoon

More drinks/lolly ices bought by fans.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »
this announcement is only about the housing surrounding Anfield, there is nothing to suggest anything will be announced about the ground being redeveloped.

Liverpool Echo ‏@LivEchoLFC
Liverpool Football Club has decided to stay at Anfield - story to follow #lfc #anfield
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp