Author Topic: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield  (Read 484378 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Liverpool have decided to redevelop Anfield?
« Reply #80 on: June 1, 2012, 08:57:03 am »
So even the Echo is scaremongering. They have taken the councils comments that hope to hear an answer by end of June as its a June deadline.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #81 on: June 1, 2012, 08:58:47 am »
So has that Guardian story been leaked by the council to try and kibosh staying?

That LFC have only been to one of the residents meetings either suggests they are not committed, or they are keeping a cold detached stance to drive through the expansion plans.

Question though - would a new stadium have a significantly greater effect in terms of changing the area? I live not far from the Emirates, and remember what it was like around there before. There are a few more flats etc, but really all it's done is put a massive big stadium on a plot of land - it's not changed that area of Highbury/Finsbury Park much at all, and when you go past on non Match days, it's pretty deserted.

They haven't done much around Emirates? Haven't they put in a load of new transport links? Surely that will lead to a lot of private investment in the area when markets improve?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82 on: June 1, 2012, 09:02:17 am »
So you are happy with a private company getting the council to force people to move out of their homes and surrender their property, for commercial gain?

Given that the private company brings a lot of money into the area, given it employs a lot of local people, given any expansion would mean and increase I'm both the previous two points, given an expansion would kick start the regeneration of the area as a whole, given the availability of local housing will be such that all the people being asked/made to move could do so and not be moving out the area or out of pocket - then yes.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: June 1, 2012, 09:06:03 am »
They haven't done much around Emirates? Haven't they put in a load of new transport links? Surely that will lead to a lot of private investment in the area when markets improve?

Nope. There's still the Arsenal and Holloway tubes, which were always there. There's Drayton Park station which was always there, but doen't run at weekends. They've spent a lot of money on the overland from Highbury to Stratford, but that was all from Olympic money, and they've upgraded every station on that route, not just Highbury & Islington, so I'm 99% sure that wasn't connected at all.

The old ground always sat in a pretty posh area of North London, the new ground is a stones throw, but moving towards a poorer area. There's no discernable difference in that area since the new stadium was built.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84 on: June 1, 2012, 09:10:53 am »
Nope. There's still the Arsenal and Holloway tubes, which were always there. There's Drayton Park station which was always there, but doen't run at weekends. They've spent a lot of money on the overland from Highbury to Stratford, but that was all from Olympic money, and they've upgraded every station on that route, not just Highbury & Islington, so I'm 99% sure that wasn't connected at all.

The old ground always sat in a pretty posh area of North London, the new ground is a stones throw, but moving towards a poorer area. There's no discernable difference in that area since the new stadium was built.

Never knew all that, to for the info.

Is that area I'm the sort of state around Anfield is though?

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #85 on: June 1, 2012, 09:16:58 am »
Never knew all that, to for the info.

Is that area I'm the sort of state around Anfield is though?

No mate, and it never was as bad as Anfield has got. Some parts of finsbury park are quite poor, but nothing like Anfield. Also the site they put the Emirates on, if I'm not mistaken, was a big patch of wasteland anyway. So they've converted the old Highbury which was in a decent residential area into more decent residences and then banged the new stadium on the wasteland.

That Anfield has got to the state it is in isn't down to the club in my view, it's down to council politics. The problems with new stadiums have made things worse, but given the business the club brings into that area, I don't think it's for LFC to solve the regeneration issues. That's a local and central govenrnemnt issue.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: June 1, 2012, 09:34:05 am »
That Anfield has got to the state it is in isn't down to the club in my view, it's down to council politics. The problems with new stadiums have made things worse, but given the business the club brings into that area, I don't think it's for LFC to solve the regeneration issues. That's a local and central govenrnemnt issue.

I think we've had a hand in the state it is in, but not massively. We have allowed a lot of houses we own to be just boarded up and left to go in disrepair, but then again so has the council and Arena - which let them go first I don't know. The club has also done up plenty of the houses it owns else where around Anfield (if you go down Skerries Rd I think it is, it actually looks pretty decent - think the club own a fair few of those).

Elsewhere around Anfield, further afield where we have no interest in the land or lighting issues, the council and Arena have left it to go to ruin all on their own doing.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #87 on: June 1, 2012, 09:43:00 am »
Good news if we can stay at Anfield.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 1, 2012, 09:57:15 am »
Given that the private company brings a lot of money into the area, given it employs a lot of local people, given any expansion would mean and increase I'm both the previous two points, given an expansion would kick start the regeneration of the area as a whole, given the availability of local housing will be such that all the people being asked/made to move could do so and not be moving out the area or out of pocket - then yes.

You're going to need a bit more than a couple of hundred jobs (which would happen at Anfield anyway) and 60,000 people coming and going within the space of a few hours every fortnight to 'kick start' regeneration.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #89 on: June 1, 2012, 10:11:29 am »

You're going to need a bit more than a couple of hundred jobs (which would happen at Anfield anyway) and 60,000 people coming and going within the space of a few hours every fortnight to 'kick start' regeneration.

I wasn't saying just that would kick start it, those were a whole host of reasons I see it would be 'right' to have the councils help to obtain the houses needed.

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #90 on: June 1, 2012, 10:18:50 am »
Speculating here, but I guess if we go for an upgrade of the main stand and the Anfield Road, there's still the potential for extension to the Kemlyn and Kop in future. One step at a time though.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 1, 2012, 10:25:04 am »
I wasn't saying just that would kick start it, those were a whole host of reasons I see it would be 'right' to have the councils help to obtain the houses needed.

Sorry. Misquoted you. I was talking about a new stadium.

Speculating here, but I guess if we go for an upgrade of the main stand and the Anfield Road, there's still the potential for extension to the Kemlyn and Kop in future. One step at a time though.

Could be.

« Last Edit: June 1, 2012, 11:07:34 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #92 on: June 1, 2012, 11:04:54 am »
Couple of questions.

If we redevelop will the first row still be redundant in european games?

Also if we stay where we are, where does that leave us in hosting events such as CL Finals or World Cup Matches if England where ever to win a bid to host
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93 on: June 1, 2012, 11:08:56 am »
Couple of questions.

If we redevelop will the first row still be redundant in european games?

Also if we stay where we are, where does that leave us in hosting events such as CL Finals or World Cup Matches if England where ever to win a bid to host

Think both would depend on how we decide to redevelop. I think, and Peter will correct me if I'm wrong, the issue is pitch size with regards to CL finals and International matches (as well as low capacity currently), and distance from closest fan and pitch with regards to European games.

I'd imagine both of these could be fixed in a redev.

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #94 on: June 1, 2012, 11:24:31 am »
The housing clearance was implied by LCC when they first announced the Anfield Village scheme. They said they were going to renovate up to 500 homes in the area but that those immedietely around the stadium would be knocked down.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/03/21/around-500-homes-near-liverpool-football-club-to-be-saved-from-demolition-under-anfield-village-plans-100252-30587791/

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #95 on: June 1, 2012, 01:16:03 pm »
So has that Guardian story been leaked by the council to try and kibosh staying?

That LFC have only been to one of the residents meetings either suggests they are not committed, or they are keeping a cold detached stance to drive through the expansion plans.

Question though - would a new stadium have a significantly greater effect in terms of changing the area? I live not far from the Emirates, and remember what it was like around there before. There are a few more flats etc, but really all it's done is put a massive big stadium on a plot of land - it's not changed that area of Highbury/Finsbury Park much at all, and when you go past on non Match days, it's pretty deserted.

There is the potential there to significantly regenerate the area with either option. Check out The Football Quarter Proposals - http://www.thefootballquarter.com.

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
« Reply #96 on: June 1, 2012, 01:22:43 pm »
Wouldn't that be great!? Anfield is our home, rich in history, success and aura! Fantastic news if true.

THIS......is how it has to happen, will make my year if it gets the green light!
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 1, 2012, 01:23:23 pm »
.....and distance from closest fan and pitch with regards to European games.

Think it's more to do with the height of the advertising boards at the European games rather than the distance from fan to pitch?

Advertising is higher, so closer seats to pitch can't actually see over it?

Could be wrong of course.
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #98 on: June 1, 2012, 01:35:08 pm »
Think it's more to do with the height of the advertising boards at the European games rather than the distance from fan to pitch?

Advertising is higher, so closer seats to pitch can't actually see over it?

Could be wrong of course.

Nah, the advertising boards aren't really that high, not enough to mean 4 or 5 rows missing at either end. Its def to do with distance to the pitch/goal.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #99 on: June 1, 2012, 02:16:12 pm »
plus it stops flags being draped over the advertising i guess.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 1, 2012, 02:28:12 pm »
Seems like this story has little real depth. I won't believe anything until I see sizes, costs and timescales from official sources. Even then I'll add 50% on the costs and timescales.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 1, 2012, 02:52:54 pm »
Seems like this story has little real depth. I won't believe anything until I see sizes, costs and timescales from official sources. Even then I'll add 50% on the costs and timescales.

Something akin to 'a spade in the ground in 60days' type statement would do.

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #102 on: June 1, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »
Think both would depend on how we decide to redevelop. I think, and Peter will correct me if I'm wrong, the issue is pitch size with regards to CL finals and International matches (as well as low capacity currently), and distance from closest fan and pitch with regards to European games.

UEFA have guidlines and in order to hold CL final the pitch must be minimum of 105mx68m with a minimum distance of 6m between the first row of spectators and the pitch on either side and 8m at either end(behind goals). So the surface between stands would be 80mx120m . I dont know what it is at Afield now but i'm sure a number of rows would have to be removed from the Main stand. There seems to be a good distance between the Kop and the goal line so the Anfield rd and the kop may be spared from any removal of seating.

Actually just had a quick look at at Anfield. Looks like some rows would have to be sacrifced at either end too.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2012, 03:14:40 pm by ultimatewarrior »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #103 on: June 1, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »
The ends definitely get blocked off for Euro games, I'm not so sure the sides do though?

I were rebuilding the Main and Anny I'd imagine they would look at ways to increase the size of the playing surface if its doable given you'd then have to look at making Centenary longer or Kop wider I don't know.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 1, 2012, 04:27:08 pm »
UEFA have guidlines and in order to hold CL final the pitch must be minimum of 105mx68m with a minimum distance of 6m between the first row of spectators and the pitch on either side and 8m at either end(behind goals). So the surface between stands would be 80mx120m . I dont know what it is at Afield now but i'm sure a number of rows would have to be removed from the Main stand. There seems to be a good distance between the Kop and the goal line so the Anfield rd and the kop may be spared from any removal of seating.

Actually just had a quick look at at Anfield. Looks like some rows would have to be sacrifced at either end too.

Pitch is wide enough but 4m short (there is that large space in front of Kop but there may or may not be safety/sightline implications). It's the length that needs sorting particularly.

Last time I looked, UEFA requirements are 4/4.5m from side line/goal lines to hoardings - for TV camera positions. FIFA is more but I don't think we're going to be troubled by hosting a World Cup any time soon. The easiest way is to nuke the front rows either permanently or just for European games. The hardest is to demolish two stands and start further back. You could also look at raising the pitch (by about 1/1.5m). Because of the geometry, you get the extra space needed.

Offline MurfySmurfy

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: June 3, 2012, 10:40:35 am »
Peter, sorry if this question has been asked before, but if the pitch is 4m too short for UEFA regs and the opportunity was there to move the pitch say 2m further away from the kop and a potential new anfield road end would this cause any significant sight-line issues? Obviously I want the pitch to be as close to the crowd as possible but surely 2m further either way isn't too bad to allow us to fill the kop? I'm no expert though so this may be entirely impossible and probably hinges on the future of the anfield road itself!

Offline ultimatewarrior

• Main Stander
« Reply #106 on: June 3, 2012, 12:04:17 pm »
Actually at the Alianz Arena the space between the sidelines and stands is 7.5m which shows us that its not the end of the world if the stands are a little further away from the pitch in comparison to Anfield .

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #107 on: June 3, 2012, 01:10:53 pm »

They could be fixed to some extent by raising the pitch but that would affect all sight lines.  The other factors are things like numbers of VIP seats, press facilities etc, which should be part of the redevelopment anyway.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2012, 01:27:10 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 3, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »
Actually at the Alianz Arena the space between the sidelines and stands is 7.5m which shows us that its not the end of the world if the stands are a little further away from the pitch in comparison to Anfield .

Dortmund's ground  also complies with FIFA and UEFA requirements. It feels like their stands are closer to the pitch than they actually are for a number of reasons. Everything between the pitch and the advertising hoarding is green, then there's a big gap between the advertising hoarding and the first row of seats.

There's a lot of nonsense written about the crowd being close to the pitch. In old grounds the crowd was very close but these days there are advertising hoardings between the fans and the pitch. In fact, if you think logically, ninety-nine percent of any crowd would be the same distance from the pitch and the players regardless of where the first row is. 

It's a psychological and design issue rather than a physical issue.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 3, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »
They could be fixed to some extent by raising the pitch but that would affect all sight lines.  The other factors are things like numbers of VIP seats, press facilities etc, which should be part of the redevelopment anyway.

Raising the pitch improves the sightlines for the whole stand.

(If you think about it, the view obviously gets worse if you lower the pitch... )

Peter, sorry if this question has been asked before, but if the pitch is 4m too short for UEFA regs and the opportunity was there to move the pitch say 2m further away from the kop and a potential new anfield road end would this cause any significant sight-line issues? Obviously I want the pitch to be as close to the crowd as possible but surely 2m further either way isn't too bad to allow us to fill the kop? I'm no expert though so this may be entirely impossible and probably hinges on the future of the anfield road itself!

Sorry. I don't follow this at all. How would moving the pitch further away help fill the kop?

In any event 4/4.5m is a reasonable distance (from a fan and player point of view)

« Last Edit: June 3, 2012, 05:30:28 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline MurfySmurfy

• Main Stander
« Reply #110 on: June 3, 2012, 03:40:26 pm »
I meant because we have to have rows unoccupied during European games to comply with UEFA regulations.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 4, 2012, 09:05:48 am »
I meant because we have to have rows unoccupied during European games to comply with UEFA regulations.

Right. But (subject to whatever safety procedures are in place) the hoardings could be moved back to create more space between them and the goal line (and make it easier to see over higher advertising hoardings)...

« Last Edit: June 4, 2012, 09:09:01 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 4, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »
Raising the pitch improves the sightlines for the whole stand.

(If you think about it, the view obviously gets worse if you lower the pitch... )

You're right except for the back of the Anny Road Lower where you'd see nothing at the Kop end.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 4, 2012, 01:31:15 pm »
Do the redevelopment plans include increasing the size of the Kop?
Still can't find too much on the internet, but by how much are FSG planning to increase capacity?
Also would we need naming rights for Anfield to fund this?
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #114 on: June 4, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »
Do the redevelopment plans include increasing the size of the Kop?
Still can't find too much on the internet, but by how much are FSG planning to increase capacity?
Also would we need naming rights for Anfield to fund this?

1.  Would imagine so
2. Around 15,000 to 20,000 (65,000 overall)
3. No, they have said they would not rename Anfield
Spirit of Shankly Membership Number 4294, Reclaim the Kop!  The King's Men

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 4, 2012, 02:17:22 pm »
1.  Would imagine so
2. Around 15,000 to 20,000 (65,000 overall)
3. No, they have said they would not rename Anfield
Cheers. Just that the little info we have, does not mention any plans to extend the Kop, only the Main Stand and the Annie Road stands.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 4, 2012, 02:37:55 pm »
You're right except for the back of the Anny Road Lower where you'd see nothing at the Kop end.

Except the existing Upper AR would be gone (for other reasons)... problem solved.

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #117 on: June 4, 2012, 10:06:52 pm »
I reckon they'll sponsor a redeveloped Anfield, not just the new stadium. It wouldn't surprise me if FSG go for the money wherever they can to reduce expenditure. It makes business sense - regardless of previous comments they've made about not doing it.

Offline bwest578

• Boys Pen
« Reply #118 on: June 4, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »
I imagine they might do something that they've done in the US where they renovate but partially rename. Like how Mile High stadium in Denver became (in it's current iteration) "Sports Authority Field at Mile High" after it was rebuilt.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #119 on: June 4, 2012, 10:51:08 pm »
I reckon they'll sponsor a redeveloped Anfield, not just the new stadium. It wouldn't surprise me if FSG go for the money wherever they can to reduce expenditure. It makes business sense - regardless of previous comments they've made about not doing it.
It doesn't make business sense, as no one would want to sponsor a stadium that everyone will still call anfield.

Where do Newcastle play? St James park....fuck knows what it's sponsors name is
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W