Author Topic: Liverpool confirm decision to redevelop Anfield  (Read 484381 times)

Online StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
Re: Liverpool have decided to redevelop Anfield?
« Reply #120 on: June 4, 2012, 11:05:05 pm »
It doesn't make business sense, as no one would want to sponsor a stadium that everyone will still call anfield.

Where do Newcastle play? St James park....fuck knows what it's sponsors name is
For the fans your correct of course its SJP, but the TV companies have to call it 'The Sports Direct Arena' or whatever its called this week. It's the TV exposure that companies are paying for and not the fans adoration.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #121 on: June 4, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »
It doesn't make business sense, as no one would want to sponsor a stadium that everyone will still call anfield.

Where do Newcastle play? St James park....fuck knows what it's sponsors name is

A more likely option is for redeveloped stands and areas within the ground to be sponsored rather than the stadium itself.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Jamie_H

• Anny Roader
  • Champions of Europe 2005
« Reply #122 on: June 5, 2012, 10:53:42 am »
I had a mate from Burnley come over at the weekend and he wanted to go on the stadium tour. We got speaking to the stadium tour guide on Sunday and he told us the council have given the club 30 days to decide if they want to press ahead with the new ground and thats that.  He said he has been told that the club will stay at Anfield and will redevelop the Main Stand, Annie Road and Centenary Stand making each of the stands 3 tier with a capacity of 68,000.

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #123 on: June 5, 2012, 11:34:29 am »
I had a mate from Burnley come over at the weekend and he wanted to go on the stadium tour. We got speaking to the stadium tour guide on Sunday and he told us the council have given the club 30 days to decide if they want to press ahead with the new ground and thats that.  He said he has been told that the club will stay at Anfield and will redevelop the Main Stand, Annie Road and Centenary Stand making each of the stands 3 tier with a capacity of 68,000.
If the tour guides got that right I'd be well happy of that increase of capacity - if or when we get back to European Cup that'd be some atmosphere on the big occasions.

How long would it take though to finish a redevelopment of that scale??

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 5, 2012, 12:58:39 pm »

Would love it to be true but I'm not sure we should put much, if any, trust on the information from a tour guide...

Offline Lothairio

• Kopite
  • Facci Sognare
« Reply #125 on: June 5, 2012, 01:42:09 pm »
If that's true, then it's like Christmas and birthday rolled into one. However, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
Hat, cap, scarf, or yer badges...

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #126 on: June 5, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »
If that's true, then it's like Christmas and birthday rolled into one. However, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Exactly this.

That kind of thing sounds brilliant but until I see an architect's mock-up on .tv ... I will stop myself from getting too excited for now.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #127 on: June 5, 2012, 03:40:19 pm »
He said he has been told that the club will stay at Anfield and will redevelop the Main Stand, Annie Road and Centenary Stand making each of the stands 3 tier with a capacity of 68,000.

50% extra capacity on top of what we already have is one sizeable increase!
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #128 on: June 5, 2012, 03:43:42 pm »
They won't develop and increase the size of the centenary stand again, surely?

Anny Road and the Main stand yes, but not the centenary.

Its high enough as it is. Can't see how they'd get another tier on it.

They'd all dwarf the Kop as well...
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: June 5, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »
I thought we couldn't get above 60k without travel link improvements.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 5, 2012, 04:11:22 pm »

+1

Guess the tour guide was talking through his arse ::)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #131 on: June 5, 2012, 04:13:06 pm »
Really can't see them adding a tier on he centenary stand, would be massively tall.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #132 on: June 5, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »
Really can't see them adding a tier on he centenary stand, would be massively tall.
If Annie road had another tier or a bigger second tier, you could perhaps talk about filing in the corners.... Might give a couple of thousand more seats.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #133 on: June 5, 2012, 05:05:23 pm »
was this a ginger haired fella?

was on a tour this time last year and he didnt say whether a new ground would be built or not but said we should expect to hear something that summer. Me and my brother hadnt been to Anfield for a while and noticed a few buildings behind the Albert pub were demolished and a lot of houses were boarded up. (leading us to believe were staying put)

no news came. If its the guy i think it is he was always saying how great benitez was on the tour. the guy was a nice guy but i wouldnt take a tour guides word on stadium stuff.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 5, 2012, 05:07:39 pm »
i think the main stand would nearly have to be redone. it still has them poles that obstruct a lot of views and the seats are old small and dated.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 5, 2012, 05:09:51 pm »
i think the main stand would nearly have to be redone. it still has them poles that obstruct a lot of views and the seats are old small and dated.

Main stand is a relic lol

Its like a listed building underneath and those wooden seats are fucking horrible.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 5, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »

Its like a listed building underneath and those wooden seats are fucking horrible.
some of them are part of the original build and look it too

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist + Proud
« Reply #137 on: June 5, 2012, 07:31:20 pm »

Isnt that just to support the roofing though...? Depending on foundations is it viable to build another tier on top with a new roof without current supporting poles...?
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly :( (Which i can never remember )

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 5, 2012, 08:42:00 pm »

New roof, no poles, no building on existing foundations, new seats, yards of bars and restaurants under new sections of stand.

anfield_110128main1 by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #139 on: June 5, 2012, 09:03:53 pm »
New roof, no poles, no building on existing foundations, new seats, yards of bars and restaurants under new sections of stand.

anfield_110128main1 by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

Whilst I admire your knowledge and mock ups, would it not be a case of starting from fresh with the main stand? I just think  the paddock looks odd in your design. Apologies if that sounds negative or sarcastic but I assure you it's neither.
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline AKABillyGee

• AKA Le Pétomane... hasn't read the rules
  • Main Stander
  • Being suspicious served me well
« Reply #140 on: June 5, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »
Whilst I admire your knowledge and mock ups, would it not be a case of starting from fresh with the main stand? I just think  the paddock looks odd in your design. Apologies if that sounds negative or sarcastic but I assure you it's neither.

The report in the Guardian was that LFC would be 'adding a tier to the Main and Annie Road stands' no talk here of any work pr redevelopment to what is already in existence. Just whip off the roof and add seats, boxes and a new roof.

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
« Reply #141 on: June 5, 2012, 09:49:06 pm »
Apparently Molby was on a stadium tour and said we're staying at anfield. Announcement in 3 weeks.
Dalglish: "If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them."

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 5, 2012, 09:57:47 pm »
Where are these mock ups from ?

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #143 on: June 5, 2012, 10:19:56 pm »
Where are these mock ups from ?

someone who is an idiot?  that's a terrible mock up.  a 4 tier road end?
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline muz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #144 on: June 5, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »
anyone know the proposed capacity of each stand after the rebuild to reach 60,000.
shankly on hearing by a reporter that man utd and man city were bottom of the table said "aye,they are son and they will take some shifting"
december 1973.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 5, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »
someone who is an idiot?  that's a terrible mock up.  a 4 tier road end?

That scheme is driven by (in my view) a poor choice of existing geometries and a desire to get as many boxes as possible. And for what it might be it would be pretty bloody expensive.

As explained elsewhere, we don't need more boxes (more premium seats, sure) and we definitely don't need them in the AR end. We need a wider spread of prices for standard seats. The flat pricing structure is pricing out families and the young and there's maybe a significant number who can afford better seats in an improved main stand.

If we maintained current average prices for standard and premium seats (and significantly increased the number of premium seats), the stadium can target the increase in revenue we need and get some cheaper seats going.

Better to build a stadium around the business case than shoe horn one in after (if at all) - wouldn't you say?.

The report in the Guardian was that LFC would be 'adding a tier to the Main and Annie Road stands' no talk here of any work pr redevelopment to what is already in existence. Just whip off the roof and add seats, boxes and a new roof.

It's a choice. leave the seats as is or upgrade them. But if they're upgraded, the price will go up to pay for it.

Why throw away the value of 12,000 seats (and the whole structure that supports them) in the Main Stand? That's daft. There's nothing there that would stop anyone doing what we need to do.

The current access to the paddock is terrible. It's just re-organised and more exits added (plus a row of DDA boxes and wheelchair platform) to give access to some decent bars etc underneath. The rake etc is as is. I have to say there's a bit of photoshop going on to catch up with updates but the paddock is as per the 3D model.

anfield_mainsection1 by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

« Last Edit: June 5, 2012, 11:08:36 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #146 on: June 5, 2012, 11:41:18 pm »
That scheme is driven by (in my view) a poor choice of existing geometries and a desire to get as many boxes as possible. And for what it might be it would be pretty bloody expensive.

As explained elsewhere, we don't need more boxes (more premium seats, sure) and we definitely don't need them in the AR end. We need a wider spread of prices for standard seats. The flat pricing structure is pricing out families and the young and there's maybe a significant number who can afford better seats in an improved main stand.

If we maintained current average prices for standard and premium seats (and significantly increased the number of premium seats), the stadium can target the increase in revenue we need and get some cheaper seats going.

Better to build a stadium around the business case than shoe horn one in after (if at all) - wouldn't you say?.

It's a choice. leave the seats as is or upgrade them. But if they're upgraded, the price will go up to pay for it.

Why throw away the value of 12,000 seats (and the whole structure that supports them) in the Main Stand? That's daft. There's nothing there that would stop anyone doing what we need to do.

The current access to the paddock is terrible. It's just re-organised and more exits added (plus a row of DDA boxes and wheelchair platform) to give access to some decent bars etc underneath. The rake etc is as is. I have to say there's a bit of photoshop going on to catch up with updates but the paddock is as per the 3D model.

anfield_mainsection1 by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

Peter - first, these models are wonderful.  Second I have George Bernard Shaw* ignorant-Yank question:  A paddock in the U.S. is something found at a horse racing track; what are you referring to?

Finally, my substantial questions and comments -- don't you need some sort of concourse between the upper and lower tiers for facilities? There's a design point here: US sports have lots of breaks where one can slip off to pick up some food, so there's need and value in elaborate concourses for food service.  But even without that, toilet faciltiies, first aid facilities, disabled access, etc are needful.  Second, why not stack the new upper tier over the lower tier with a partial overhang?  if the new tier was staggered, oh 5 or 10 rows horizontally, above the lower tier, you'd get those upper tier seats closer to the pitch.  You may reduce some of the footprint problems and related right to light issues?  Or does a narrower higher (in aspect ratio if not absolutely) structure create more problems than it solves?

*England and America are two countries separated by a common language - GBS
« Last Edit: June 5, 2012, 11:44:23 pm by NHRed »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 6, 2012, 12:31:47 am »
A paddock in the U.S. is something found at a horse racing track; what are you referring to?...

I don’t know the origins of the ‘paddock’ in this context except maybe it’s a viewing area down close to the participants, which is what it is here - the lowest section of stand, closest to the pitch. Originally it had no roof and is still properly called the Paddock Enclosure.

There a no breaks in play and it’s a problem in revenue terms. And alcohol is banned in sight of the pitch (even in boxes 15 minutes before the match). There is a concourse at the lower level but this is more about circulation and a lower priced food offer than ‘entertainment’ during the match. There are toilets at every level.

Clearly the hospitality can change. There's a lot more that can be done to lengthen the 'core experience' both inside and outside the ground at every price bracket... see more here http://petermcgurk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/anfield-after-all.html

Overhanging the tiers adds structural complexity, height (you have to be able to see the ball in full flight) and cost. Worse and in this case, moving the upper tier closer to the pitch would kill the sightlines to the nearest touchlines - the new upper tier is already at the maximum angle.

« Last Edit: June 6, 2012, 11:30:22 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #148 on: June 6, 2012, 02:32:00 am »

59,995 is it then. ;)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 6, 2012, 05:56:39 am »
59,995 is it then. ;)

Nah, would want 59,999.

So if a redevelopment goes through (hopefully); it will be at one go or in stages? Will the Main Stand be rebuilt from scratch?
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #150 on: June 6, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »
To the knowledgeable people,  how much do you reckon a redeveloped Anfield would cost?

And, do you think the project will be spread out over a couple years, or more like 5 years?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 6, 2012, 04:05:21 pm »
how much do you reckon a redeveloped Anfield would cost?

And, do you think the project will be spread out over a couple years, or more like 5 years?

Half the cost of a new stadium. Each stand or section would take two years to build. If you wanted to build consecutively, do so with staggered starts to open the next stand or section each one year after.

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 6, 2012, 04:08:30 pm »
Could trying to get these houses and demolishing them potentially take years with legal minefields, permissions and all sorts of stuff coming with it?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 6, 2012, 04:11:00 pm »
Could trying to get these houses and demolishing them potentially take years with legal minefields, permissions and all sorts of stuff coming with it?

Or in the blink of an eye - bit like scoring goals.

No permissions to demolish needed.

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #154 on: June 6, 2012, 04:12:40 pm »

We've only been trying for 15 odd years now
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 6, 2012, 04:13:03 pm »
Oooh interesting. Cheers for all the info on this stuff, Peter.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 6, 2012, 04:16:46 pm »

I don't think so. Too busy wetting ourselves over shiny new stadia.

Offline stevienash

• Legacy Fan
  • 'White liquid in a bottle has to be milk.'"
« Reply #157 on: June 6, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »
Lets hope we get some serious info on this over the next few weeks. Just been looking on Google Earth and the triangle website. Lothair Road and Alroy Roads are a mess. Wouldnt want to be the last remaining residents on those roads!

Say if we were to redevelop the main stand to replicate the centenary stand for arguments sake how many rows of houses would have to go to allow this to happen.

Been hearing a lot of stuff on right to light ect

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #158 on: June 6, 2012, 05:14:59 pm »
We haven't really, parry gave up in 99 with little fight......

Everyone assumed it was impossible, until, suddenly.....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #159 on: June 6, 2012, 05:40:49 pm »
Half the cost of a new stadium. Each stand or section would take two years to build. If you wanted to build consecutively, do so with staggered starts to open the next stand or section each one year after.

Would it really take 2 years each Peter, that's a lot longer than I thought? I suppose if they are smart about it they'll build in a way so as to limit the disruption to attendances as much as possible. Will be interesting how they do it.