Author Topic: Does this make redevlopment of Anfield the more likely decision?  (Read 16602 times)

Offline JamesLS7

• Kopite
  • Rafa Is My Hero.
Re: Does this make redevlopment of Anfield the more likely decision?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »
How long would a redevelopment of Anfield take?

Would it mean that whilst it is being redeveloped, that the capacity would drop to like 30k while each stand gets redeveloped one after another. ?
When discussing Dirk Kuyt's work rate :

I don't think he works as hard as some people claim. No harder, for example, than Stewart Downing.

18 League Titles and 5 European Cups. Get counting.

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 03:25:21 pm »
Question for Liverpudlians, why does it seem that council has made it so hard for the club to expand the stadium? Surely for the revenue generated for the city by the club is massive and the area around the stadium is underused, so I can´t understand why a quick solution can´t be made if the owners do indeed want to redevelop Anfield.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »
65k would make it the second biggest in England no? (Im not including Wembley)

Where would that put us compared to other European clubs?

I think the main money spinner is the no of corporate seats.

IMO, a 65k seater stadium with the required corporate seats is enough.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »
The area's quite old fashioned. Kind of adds to the whole experience, the place is stooped in history.

I just went onto google maps to have another look around Anfield, and interestingly- if you go past the Shankly gates, just by the Hillsborough memorial, there's a kid standing there with a Man Utd shirt on. Cheeky bugger   ;D

Offline Suarez7Carroll9

• Main Stander
  • Has Carroll in his username, but hates him really.
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:06 pm »
Good source tells me we are definitely staying at Anfield, we dont want to spend that much on a new stadium plus they think it wouldnt be the same.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 05:09:01 pm »
So if you had to put your house on it Peter? Which way do you see this going? Stay at Anfield or move to Stanley Park

Staying at Anfield. No hesitation. Incremental development, starting with better seats in the Main Stand; then the Anfield Road; then the corners, then back to main stand to extend it. Don't get the houses to extend the main stand - screw them, stop there.

How long would a redevelopment of Anfield take?

Would it mean that whilst it is being redeveloped, that the capacity would drop to like 30k while each stand gets redeveloped one after another. ?

No, the capacity would not drop and it wouldn't need to take as long as new stadium.

Question for Liverpudlians, why does it seem that council has made it so hard for the club to expand the stadium? Surely for the revenue generated for the city by the club is massive and the area around the stadium is underused, so I can´t understand why a quick solution can´t be made if the owners do indeed want to redevelop Anfield.

"FSG were no doubt surprised how little council could help. LCC or any other UK council does not (yet) have the autonomy of any US city. Council have not been backward in coming forward to help, really. But they have been defensive in the face of being hamstrung by events. Not the least of which is the axing of £120m for housing in the city.

Council have committed a great deal of their time and our money to getting the consent through to build on the park. You can understand their reluctance to let it go but let it go they will if there’s a real chance of moving forward. In the meantime they do not have the money to regenerate housing around Anfield or offer up sites to the club to build on,..."

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=287784.msg10050727#msg10050727

I think the main money spinner is the no of corporate seats.

IMO, a 65k seater stadium with the required corporate seats is enough.

The rule of thumb is 12% of capacity generates 50% of income. 7200 premium seats (including boxes) plus the rest of 60k as standard generates £72m a year at today's prices - enough, as a 'baseline'.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:25:21 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 05:13:07 pm »
The area's quite old fashioned. Kind of adds to the whole experience, the place is stooped in history.

I just went onto google maps to have another look around Anfield, and interestingly- if you go past the Shankly gates, just by the Hillsborough memorial, there's a kid standing there with a Man Utd shirt on. Cheeky bugger   ;D
Must have been bad at school..............."detention or wear this piece of shite for a day"
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »
Does this fit in with the Football Quarter ideas? Will it make it more or less likely to develop something like that ?

These plans very much fit in with The Football Quarter ideas.

Peter's map of the area that this covers is correct as well. These plans cover the old Phase 6 and 7 of the HMRI scheme.

The plans don't make it any more or less likely for a redeveloped stadium, but it shows the sort of things the council is working on to try and make things happen.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »
These plans very much fit in with The Football Quarter ideas.

Peter's map of the area that this covers is correct as well. These plans cover the old Phase 6 and 7 of the HMRI scheme.

The plans don't make it any more or less likely for a redeveloped stadium, but it shows the sort of things the council is working on to try and make things happen.

didn't I read somewhere that Liverpool is the largest tourist attraction in the UK outside of London?...

Unfortunately not. But it is getting there. There’s even people coming down from Edinburgh to see what it is that the city is getting right.

One of the right things is an ‘integrated offer’ ie., presenting a clear picture of what’s on offer, playing to strengths and not confusing different areas - the Waterfront, the Cavern Quarter, the Ropewalks, the Cathedrals, the Georgian Quarter... the Football Quarter.

LFC and EFC together across Stanley Park is and always be about football for the visitor. That’s its strength. It is not about the surrounding communities (with regard to Tourism). However, the communities would benefit hugely in terms of education, economic activity, business start-up prospects and job creation.

The Vernon Sangster will be be re-built. The park has been restored. It can be fully reverted to community use (albeit occasionally shared with a fan-zone in the park - taking 100,000 if needed. After all we have lost our big top). The school has been rebuilt. The Isla Gladstone Conservatory has been restored. These things change the perception of the place and doing that is half the start.

Walton Breck Road can be the Yawkey Way of the area - packed with (football-related) shops and eateries. A milling space, a meeting place, a food, ale and plaza place. A 'tree-lined Walk of Fame' around the ground - with Abe Lincoln sized statues of the Anfield Greats and five enormous European Cups on huge plinths (with of course a spare for the next one). A venue for the occasion. Another Wembley Way if you like (but better - a LOT better).

Then there’s the pubs... you could say there’s a lot of money that runs through the clubs fingers and into the pockets of the area’s pub landlords. In my view, that’s how it should be. The pub is part and parcel - for the local. But the club can glean a lot more from visiting fans and away fans outside the ground as well as in it. To state the extreme, what if the club owned the freehold of The Albert for example? Nice ‘little’ earner. What if there were five Alberts?

Liverpool’s hotel market is standing up to the recession better than most. The hotels in town are close to the buzz and flesh-pots and together it’s very attractive for the visitor. Less so, to be camped out in Anfield/Breckfield, whatever the day time attractions of the Football Quarter (and of the match, day or night). After the match we bomb into town and that works. It works for the residents, for the football and as an attraction to the city as a whole.

Frankly the last thing the residents of L4 need is a hotel (or a prolonged night-time economy). And they need WBR to work as a community hub for the majority of the time when the match isn’t on. They live there. We just visit.

Easy access to Queen’s Drive is about local access - and it could be better but forget the tram. Just forget it. Stations on the railway would benefit the local community as much as the visitor. I think there used to be six stations on that line between Edge Hill and Kirkdale.

And opening up the line to the city centre could, could (it’s bloody expensive too), link the out of town visitor almost straight to the ground. A timely rail service would be better for the city and the visitor than a long slog home with no pint straight after the match. If it were me I’d run it via Lime Street and the underground.

The kind of development needed is about extending the ‘core experience’. Right now (in the most part) the club benefits five minutes either side of the 90 plus a pee and a pie break halfway through.

Whereas, there’s a market for a whole day experience (academy visit, sports training Museum Tour, Heritage Trail, 100 players and days that shook the Kop, Club Shop, Sports Bar, the ‘Kop Way’) of which the match itself is ‘just’ a (most important) part.

You can’t actually benefit financially so much within the ground because of the way the game is. It isn’t NFL. But if you play your cards right, it will knock over into a weekend stay in a hotel in town and you see all the other stuff - The Beatles, Albert Dock, Liverpool One...

All these things can be - but the question is, do we have to get involved or should the club stick to its knitting? If the financial feasibility of any of these things is based on a weekly/fortnightly event, the club should steer well clear.

And although football is the core and a main contributor to the financial success of a Football Quarter, neither club will, nor indeed can, be a prime financial participant. In a tightening situation for football itself, they can only do their bit for the benefit of the city by looking after their own business and maintaining their own international appeal for their own benefit.

The strength of a Football Quarter is in the sum of its parts. It would indeed “create a great draw and showcase for the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of anticipated football visitors to the city. A tourist destination worthy of international status and recognition; providing increased employment and visitor spend towards the city’s target of 14,000 jobs and £2bn a year by 2020” but it is not the club’s part to drive that.

It is after all way beyond the ken (and the pocket) of FSG to encompass the multi-faceted Football Quarter. The totality of the Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Precinct is at least an entirely sports opportunity (although it has taken since 1956 to get where it is now) but the £1bn Etihad Campus/Eastlands Regeneration is a commercial enterprise first and a football opportunity second. As said FSG are simply not in a position to create a market in that way nor is it their focus.

A Football Quarter could have a critical mass of its own. It could draw in people seven days a week but if it doesn't, it will not succeed. From what I hear FSG take an arm's length view of Yawkey Way. It is small. It is otherwise empty. On the whole, marginal.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:19:42 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline SWR

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 03:16:20 pm »
Redevelopment of Anfield the 2nd best option for my money. The revenue lost in the intervening seasons would hit the transfer spending big time so could work against us big time. I think it has to be a new stadium for me.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 03:29:02 pm »
Redevelopment of Anfield the 2nd best option for my money. The revenue lost in the intervening seasons would hit the transfer spending big time so could work against us big time. I think it has to be a new stadium for me.

And the subsequent seasons (decades) of having to pay back the cost of building a shiny new stadium won't affect our transfer spending?

This has all been covered in the stadium section of these boards, perhaps you'd benefit from having a read through there mate.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Pilchard

• Kopite
  • Bring back the 'friendly' derbies
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 04:57:35 pm »
As the majority of housing off Breck Rd is of the Victorian back to back type, why dont the council move Ringos house from the Welsh Streets and rebuild it behind Fung Loks chippy, (best chips on matchday). :thumbup

That way Ringo ( :rash ) could visit his old house when Gary Nev ( :tosser) is doing a commentary at Anfield and know for certain he is only the second most despised man on Merseyside.

Scouse Separatist