Author Topic: Does this make redevlopment of Anfield the more likely decision?  (Read 16603 times)

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/03/21/around-500-homes-near-liverpool-fc-to-be-saved-from-demolition-under-anfield-village-plans-100252-30587791/

A MULTI-MILLION pound plan to transform swathes of housing around Liverpool FC’s Anfield football stadium can be revealed today.

The council is announcing blueprints to refurbish homes that will end years of delay in the drive to regenerate parts of L4 – renamed “Anfield Village”.

Houses to be refurbished rather than demolished include those within the boundary of Back Rockfield Road, Gilman Street, Walton Breck Road, Sleepers Hill and Saker Street.

But the council warned that a small handful of these homes may also have to be demolished because they have fallen into disrepair in recent years.

The scheme – to be funded jointly by the council and the Homes and Communities Agency – will affect just over 600 properties and see around £16m of investment pumped in.

Council leader Cllr Joe Anderson said the move was great news for the people of Anfield, whose futures have been in doubt since the government pulled its funding for the Housing Market Renewal (HMRI) programme.

It saw many homes in the area torn down or fall into decay after their residents were moved out.

The plans will roll together what were phases six and seven of HMRI into one. Around 90 homes close to Liverpool Football Club will be demolished and the remainder of the 600 repaired.

However, houses in the V Streets directly across from Anfield stadium – which were in phase five of the scheme – are still to be demolished.

Cllr Anderson said: “This will give a modern and green feel to this area with some properties knocked into the other to create family accommodation and affordable housing.”

Gardens and driveways will be included in some homes while new technologies like LED lighting are set to be installed.

Cllr Anderson insisted the housing transformation was in no way affected by Liverpool FC’s decision to either remain at its current Anfield home, or move to a new 60,000-seater stadium in Stanley Park.

The club is remaining tight-lipped about its intentions, but the ECHO has learnt a decision is not far away.

Following a visit to meet Anfield residents to explain the changes, Cllr Anderson said: “This is good news tempered by the fact we wanted to do so much more.

“In the 20 months since I’ve been leader we’ve saved more homes rather than demolish them.

“Residents have been rightly concerned and frustrated, but we’re delighted to be working with the government, Arena Housing and others to take some action.”

If the Reds do move to Stanley Park, the vacated land which is owned by the club could be used for retail, apartments, or other commercial developments to further boost Anfield.

Cllr Anderson added: “We are in discussions with both clubs about how to develop the area they are in. Nothing will happen without it coming through cabinet.

“Our relationship with Liverpool is fine and we have regular dialogue as the stadium issue is one we are involved in.”

The council has earmarked August for a start date on the work.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/03/21/around-500-homes-near-liverpool-football-club-to-be-saved-from-demolition-under-anfield-village-plans-100252-30587791/2/#ixzz1pkGixnCv

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Re: Does this make redevlopment of Anfield the more likely decision?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:43:10 am »

The club is remaining tight-lipped about its intentions, but the ECHO has learnt a decision is not far away.

can't wait for that day......an ACTUAL decision i mean....
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:16 am »
If the Echo have reported the area accurately, this is it - close, but no cigar. It does however steer clear of the streets needed to redevelop.

Picture 17 by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:47:25 am »
You've got me all excited now.

got a tingly feeling inside me
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:47:50 am »
If the Echo have reported the area accurately, this is it - close, but no cigar. It does however steer clear of the streets needed to redevelop.

Picture 17 by Peter McGurk, on Flickr

But a redevelopment of Anfield would certainly compliment this investment in regenerating the area as a whole. Which would serve to suggest the option of redevelopment isn't dead and buried as far as the council is concerned, no?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:56:29 am »
But a redevelopment of Anfield would certainly compliment this investment in regenerating the area as a whole. Which would serve to suggest the option of redevelopment isn't dead and buried as far as the council is concerned, no?

Correct.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:57:18 am »
Does this fit in with the Football Quarter ideas? Will it make it more or less likely to develop something like that ?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:59:36 am »
Does this fit in with the Football Quarter ideas? Will it make it more or less likely to develop something like that ?

Yes it does. Whether it makes it more likely or not... (just like it doesn't make redevelopment of Anfield more likely but it doesn't stop it either).

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:45 pm »
Correct.

*must refrain from reading too much into this*
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:11:24 pm »
Yes it does. Whether it makes it more likely or not... (just like it doesn't make redevelopment of Anfield more likely but it doesn't stop it either).

Cheers, was hoping it would. Was a bit concerned that the council had gone for an 'alternate solution' that'd make the FQ impossible.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:11:34 pm »
I'd say it makes a new build more likely. Well either that or we are prepared to hamstring ourselves in regards to further expansion, as it would likely mean us being stuck at 60000-65000 with no scope for more seats.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:08 pm »
You've named the 'sweet point' Jimmy. From what Ayre said, I infer they don't want more than 65000.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:11 pm »
I'd say it makes a new build more likely. Well either that or we are prepared to hamstring ourselves in regards to further expansion, as it would likely mean us being stuck at 60000-65000 with no scope for more seats.

We don't need more than 65k but it is well beyond the area needed to get more than 65k. And just read was it says - no effect, either way.

One thing though, money is tight. That money can't be spent behind the main stand (to release properties), is all.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »
Just sounds like the Council putting a sticking plaster over the area because there simply isn't the money around to do anything else at present.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:27 pm »

Lets get to 60-65,000 first!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »

One thing though, money is tight. That money can't be spent behind the main stand (to release properties), is all.

Can you expan on this? Tight for who? The Council?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 01:41:00 pm »
having never had the pleasure to venture over to L4, I'm curious what this area is like; are most of these homes occupied at all? or just abandoned?
I've read this issue for years and never asked.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »
having never had the pleasure to venture over to L4, I'm curious what this area is like; are most of these homes occupied at all? or just abandoned?

Take a look on google street view will show you what you need to know, all the houses on Lake St and Tinsley street have all gone.  Loads more boarded up/abandoned in the near distance (behind the Main Stand).

Lothair road is like a ghost town. (Queue 'The Specials')  8)

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »

Beirut on a Monday morning on the one hand and neat terraces on the other.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:52:01 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 01:50:20 pm »
Take a look on google street view will show you what you need to know, all the houses on Lake St and Tinsley street have all gone.  Loads more boarded up/abandoned in the near distance (behind the Main Stand).

Lothair road is like a ghost town. (Queue 'The Specials')  8)

fc

thanks

is it like a no-man's land? dangerous?

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 01:52:57 pm »
thanks

If you don't like huge crowds of anxious and overwrought people, yeah.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 01:54:31 pm »

65,000 seater is enough anyway.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 01:55:32 pm »
thanks

No. It's just whole streets of empty, boarded up houses. Depending on where in the world you compare it too, it's really not _that_ bad. It is bad enough for the people living in the area though, everything is falling to bits, there's a lot of rubbish, little decent facilities, but nothing has got done for years.

Offline tdogssc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 01:57:57 pm »
Obviously google street view isnt a really true indicator, the place doesnt look that bad. A lot of the places look to need work, but there is unreal potential from the looks of it.
Are they all rowhouse style buildings?

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 01:59:36 pm »
65,000 seater is enough anyway.

A bit of forward-planning wouldn't go amiss in terms of a potential future expansion. But yes, for now its definitely enough.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:25 pm »
No. It's just whole streets of empty, boarded up houses. Depending on where in the world you compare it too, it's really not _that_ bad. It is bad enough for the people living in the area though, everything is falling to bits, there's a lot of rubbish, little decent facilities, but nothing has got done for years.

This.  I've been going to Anfield for around 20 years and it hasn't changed that much, fingers crossed it will in the next few years.  :-\

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 02:05:04 pm »
Obviously google street view isnt a really true indicator, the place doesnt look that bad. A lot of the places look to need work, but there is unreal potential from the looks of it.
Most of the area is terraced housing, yeah. The fact that the council is looking to refurbish, rather than demolish, the majority of houses says a lot about 'how bad it is'. That being said, most of the houses aren't fit for living right now, at least not by modern british standards.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 02:09:21 pm »

If by rowhouse you mean terraced housing (all in a line with no gaps between houses), then yes thats what its like. It depends from road to road, but there is an awful lot of boarded up housing. When I went last (for the Arsenal game) there was some demolition and building work going on but that was probably about 15 mins walk away towards the North Liverpool Academy.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 02:15:22 pm »
A bit of forward-planning wouldn't go amiss in terms of a potential future expansion. But yes, for now its definitely enough.

No mate. You could 'future-proof' (forward plan) your way  to 70k, 80k or 90k but making provision for it now is expensive now and would be wasted money. And un-needed options for the future could block more cost-effective options today. That's it. That's it right there. 60k-65k is enough.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:41:59 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 02:28:08 pm »

Lothair Road, Anfield by Liverpool Suburbia, on Flickr

Rockfield Road, Anfield by Liverpool Suburbia, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:30:14 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:34 pm »
No mate. You could 'future-proof' (forward plan) your way  to 70k, 80k or 90k but making provision for it now is expensive now and would be wasted money. And un-needed options for the future could block more cost-effective options today. That's it. That's it right there. 60k-65k is enough.

65k would make it the second biggest in England no? (Im not including Wembley)

Where would that put us compared to other European clubs?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 02:56:29 pm »
65k would make it the second biggest in England no? (Im not including Wembley)

Where would that put us compared to other European clubs?

Fairly well up there I imagine but it's not about dick-swinging is it?

Offline Quintet

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »
Is it true they can redevelop Anfield to 65,000 because I think that is the perfect number for us.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 03:05:23 pm »
Would be brilliant news.

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 03:10:03 pm »
Fairly well up there I imagine but it's not about dick-swinging is it?

Point is that 60-65k would be bigger than that of most clubs in Europe ie looking to go beyond that is not feasible ie I'm agreeing with you

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 03:17:53 pm »
Point is that 60-65k would be bigger than that of most clubs in Europe ie looking to go beyond that is not feasible ie I'm agreeing with you

I think we should look after our own bees-wax. The marker of whether something is feasible or not has very little to do with what other people do. Just because Barcelona (for example) has 8-9m (or whatever it is) people, within a hour's drive of an 80k stadium (or whatever that is) partially paid for by the local authority, doesn't mean to say that anything like that capacity is going to work for us.

The club's done it's numbers. 60k - 65k is their sweet-spot. From everything we know and have discussed here and elsewhere, most of us would agree. No need to speculate any further.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 03:20:41 pm »

Lothair Road, Anfield by Liverpool Suburbia, on Flickr

Rockfield Road, Anfield by Liverpool Suburbia, on Flickr

Really is incredible to think that houses sat next to Anfield are boarded up and derelict.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »
I think we should look after our own bees-wax. The marker of whether something is feasible or not has very little to do with what other people do. Just because Barcelona (for example) has 8-9m (or whatever it is) people, within a hour's drive of an 80k stadium (or whatever that is) partially paid for by the local authority, doesn't mean to say that anything like that capacity is going to work for us.

The club's done it's numbers. 60k - 65k is their sweet-spot. From everything we know and have discussed here and elsewhere, most of us would agree. No need to speculate any further.

So if you had to put your house on it Peter? Which way do you see this going? Stay at Anfield or move to Stanley Park

From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.