Author Topic: Why The Hicks Bowl Must Never Be Built Part One  (Read 91739 times)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Why The Hicks Bowl Must Never Be Built Part One
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09:35 pm »
You could, but any new kop would not be as 'packed in' or intense as the old one.

Why not? The Kop would still be closed in.

After hours of detailed analysis i've come up with this diagram.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:15 pm »
Ливерпул, if you think the parrybowls 'kop' was sufficent, your clearly less informed than your transfer mumblings show you already.

Actually, in terms of acoustics and atmosphere, the ParryBowl's ''Kop'' has some advantages, compared to the present Kop, for several reasons:

1. The capacity of the stand is similar (12,000 seats on the new ''Kop'', compared to the 12,400 on the existing Kop) ...
2. The roof of the new ''Kop'' is descending towards the pitch, unlike the present Kop, where it is horizontal ...
3. The lower part of the corners between the new ''Kop'' and the main stands are actually filled with seats, transmitting the atmosphere from the new ''Kop'' to the lower parts of the main stands in a better way ...

As long as the same supporters are present on the new ''Kop'' on a match-day, the atmosphere will be at least the same as it is now ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »
Actually, in terms of acoustics and atmosphere, the ParryBowl's ''Kop'' has some advantages, compared to the present Kop, for several reasons:

1. The capacity of the stand is similar (12,000 seats on the new ''Kop'', compared to the 12,400 on the existing Kop) ...
2. The roof of the new ''Kop'' is descending towards the pitch, unlike the present Kop, where it is horizontal ...
3. The lower part of the corners between the new ''Kop'' and the main stands are actually filled with seats, transmitting the atmosphere from the new ''Kop'' to the lower parts of the main stands in a better way ...

As long as the same supporters are present on the new ''Kop'' on a match-day, the atmosphere will be at least the same as it is now ...

Those are all good characteristics but it needs to be distinct and different part of the ground - not just another stand like the others.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2011, 02:15:14 pm »

:)

The new standards mean the seats have to be farther apart (and wider) - more like sitting in 'the stands' if you know what I mean.

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2011, 02:19:38 pm »
Those are all good characteristics but it needs to be distinct and different part of the ground - not just another stand like the others.

Yes, and it is that way because of nostalgic and emotional reasons, something I can't and won't dispute ...

In terms of architecture, acoustics and atmosphere, there is nothing wrong with the ParryBowl's new ''Kop'', especially if the disabled platform is removed, and it becomes a single-tiered stand ...

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2011, 02:34:35 pm »
Yes, and it is that way because of nostalgic and emotional reasons, something I can't and won't dispute ...

In terms of architecture, acoustics and atmosphere, there is nothing wrong with the ParryBowl's new ''Kop'', especially if the disabled platform is removed, and it becomes a single-tiered stand ...

But in terms of character it's not... intimidating.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2011, 02:41:36 pm »
But in terms of character it's not... intimidating.

It is the supporters that make the stadium intimidating ... Anyway, as you have very eloquently explained at this board, building a new ''intimidating'' stadium (in classic terms) would be very difficult or even impossible, due to the safety regulations ... Not to mention the required transparency of the roof and the required air flow, in order to achieve and maintain the quality of the pitch ...

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »
It is the supporters that make the stadium intimidating ... Anyway, as you have very eloquently explained at this board, building a new ''intimidating'' stadium (in classic terms) would be very difficult or even impossible, due to the safety regulations ... Not to mention the required transparency of the roof and the required air flow, in order to achieve and maintain the quality of the pitch ...

Yes it would be hard; and it is the fans that make the atmosphere, but the football ground can help rather than hinder. 

As you'd expect, AFL did well with the brief but what concerns me is the bigger spacing and lower angles etc in the regs and standards are creating calmer environments to 'watch' football rather than get involved.  Most every stadium around Europe that everyone likes couldn't be built here for one reason or another.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:05:56 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2011, 03:27:57 pm »

Bob that was superb, youve just made me spit my cup of tea out my gob.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

royhendo

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2011, 03:55:40 pm »
Could the fucking kiddy on experts fuck off and let the actual experts debate this please?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »
Could the fucking kiddy on experts fuck off and let the actual experts debate this please?

Are we to expect no more posts in here then?!  ;D

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2011, 06:55:30 pm »
let's face it we will never replicate the character of the KOP as a stand alone anywhere else, HKS tried doing it by basing the whole new stadium on it and failed.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2011, 06:57:43 pm »
let's face it we will never replicate the character of the KOP as a stand alone anywhere else, HKS tried doing it by basing the whole new stadium on it and failed.

They completely missed the point though. The Kop is an essential part of Anfield but it's not the whole thing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline mark82

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2011, 11:30:56 pm »
They completely missed the point though. The Kop is an essential part of Anfield but it's not the whole thing.

If a new stadium ends up being the option and we take the HKS design off the table people will be talking about the mobey being wasted.
As its such a prestige project for a company to get why don't we throw down the gauntlet to companies like I believed Barca did? Does anyone know if their designs cost them anything?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2011, 11:47:36 pm »
If a new stadium ends up being the option and we take the HKS design off the table people will be talking about the mobey being wasted.
As its such a prestige project for a company to get why don't we throw down the gauntlet to companies like I believed Barca did? Does anyone know if their designs cost them anything?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'throw down the gauntlet' but I'm sure that Norman Foster designed the Camp Nou extension - very high profile and not cheap.

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/projects/1552/default.aspx

High profile projects attract high profile architects - and they don't work for free. Anyway, a new stadium isn't a huge project for that size of architect - Fosters did Wembley with HOK.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:52:37 pm by Alan_F »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2011, 11:58:30 pm »

The FCB architectural competition had a first 'open' and unpaid round and then between 5 and 10 shortlisted firms were paid €40,000 to do a second stage submission.  From the club's point of view it's only the start of the design process.  Once the winner is chosen, the firm starts a fully paid commission to do the work.  You could say the cost of running the competition and compensating the second stage losers only adds to the cost.  On the other hand a tremendous amount of work is done by the bidders and lots of ideas can be generated.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:02:12 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline mark82

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40:16 am »
The FCB architectural competition had a first 'open' and unpaid round and then between 5 and 10 shortlisted firms were paid €40,000 to do a second stage submission.  From the club's point of view it's only the start of the design process.  Once the winner is chosen, the firm starts a fully paid commission to do the work.  You could say the cost of running the competition and compensating the second stage losers only adds to the cost.  On the other hand a tremendous amount of work is done by the bidders and lots of ideas can be generated.

I see, thanks for that, knew there was a few designs floating around. Liked the one on its own Island!

Offline Naughtykid

• Ignore everyone else, listen to me. I SAID LISTEN TO ME!!! Oi! Where are you all going?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2011, 09:44:18 am »

You want to spend hundreds of millions of pounds to actually DECREASE the size of the kop?

And you see that as an advantage?

Fucks sake.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2011, 10:35:55 am »
Not to mention the required transparency of the roof and the required air flow, in order to achieve and maintain the quality of the pitch ...

Call Thomas Sanderson. I am sure he could whip up some jumbo conservatory blinds that allow the grass to grow, but can be closed for match days to make it more intimidating. Of course the blinds should sit above the glass so as not to dampen the acoustics.

Any more problems you want solving?

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2011, 10:39:34 am »
You want to spend hundreds of millions of pounds to actually DECREASE the size of the kop?

And you see that as an advantage?

Fucks sake.

Actually, the size of the new AFL ''Kop'' would be approximately the same with the present one ... Only, it will have slightly less seats (-3%), due to the new building regulations (minimum spacing between the seats) ... The overall capacity of the stadium would increase significantly (35%) ...

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2011, 10:42:29 am »

Call Thomas Sanderson. I am sure he could whip up some jumbo conservatory blinds that allow the grass to grow, but can be closed for match days to make it more intimidating. Of course the blinds should sit above the glass so as not to dampen the acoustics.

Any more problems you want solving?

That's very interesting ...  :D

I've actually asked myself the same question, if something like that is possible ...  :thumbup

Offline Naughtykid

• Ignore everyone else, listen to me. I SAID LISTEN TO ME!!! Oi! Where are you all going?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:50 am »
Actually, the size of the new AFL ''Kop'' would be approximately the same with the present one ... Only, it will have slightly less seats (-3%), due to the new building regulations (minimum spacing between the seats) ... The overall capacity of the stadium would increase significantly (35%) ...
Why build a new stadium, if your not going to expand the kop. It's fucking stupid.

We should be looking at a 14-16k kop in any new stadium imo. Building one the same size, or smaller, is a waste of funds.

It's all well and good saying the supporters on the kop make it  special and not the architectual designs - But its important that the Kop looks as intimidating as possible and that means making it as big as blooming possible.

It's blatantly obvious that you've never been on the kop in a match day. IT's not as black and white as 'the supporters are the key'
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:55:20 am by Naughtykid »

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2011, 11:49:59 am »
I agree there is a world of difference between simple number of seats and the atmosphere on the Kop. The current Kop doesn't compare to the old standing Kop but it has a sense of "depth" (the distance it goes back - not up) which to me is one of the fundamentals, another is that it's contained at the sides, and finally it steel feels like a bank not a steep stand.

Sorry to ask a stupid question but why does the depth make a difference? I haven't been in any of the ends at any other ground so I've nothing to compare the Kop against other than the Annie Road end.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2011, 11:52:15 am »

No offence but if you've never been on the present Kop how can you start talking about how the atmosphere would change?

Also your last sentence shows you've no fucking idea what the difference is being at the front or the back of the Kop at the moment.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2011, 01:34:33 pm »
No offence but if you've never been on the present Kop how can you start talking about how the atmosphere would change?

Also your last sentence shows you've no fucking idea what the difference is being at the front or the back of the Kop at the moment.

There's always been different parts to the kop (almost originally), the front, 'in the middle', 'out the middle', the back and the wings (and boys' pen).  But with each change the strength of its physical character has diminished.  Obviously sitting down was the big one, but next time it will get worse if we rebuild.  Inevitable - unless safe standing comes in.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:36:13 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2011, 01:43:19 pm »

There's always been different parts to the kop (almost originally), the front, 'in the middle', 'out the middle', the back and the wings (and boys' pen).  But with each change the strength of its physical character has diminished.  Obviously sitting down was the big one, but next time it will get worse if we rebuild.  Inevitable - unless safe standing comes in.

Structurally, what was the old Kop like?

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2011, 02:05:58 pm »

Big cinder bank, concreted over with steps with one walkway horizontally about halfway up.  The stand I think was wider than the pitch, ie. it tapered out at the sides slightly but that may just be my poor memory.  A proper flight of stairs up to an entrance at the back, other entrance/exits at the sides and at pitch level. Big steel roof that was head up by two big pillars in the centre of the Kop and sloped down in front of them.  It gave the whole place a dark brooding aspect and meant you could hardly see the people in the upper half. 
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2011, 02:11:05 pm »

Now there's a question for an aul' arse.

Anyway, I've seen pictures of the original mound of earth (apparently surplus from construction of a tram line on WBR).  As far as I know, concrete steps were later laid on the soil (and cinders??).  The outside wall was a concrete frame or concrete encased steel frame with (brick?) infill panels.  The roof was basic corrugated iron (?) sheets on steel trusses and two columns at third points in the length of the terrace - about halfway up.  There was generally a few hanging off these columns (until they got boarded off and spikes put on). One wing was framed construction over one entrance (on the Kemlyn Road side) at the end of a main 'walkway' (flat bit) about 2/3rds of the way up, the other wing was the boys' pen.  The other exit was over the back and directly down from the top to WBR (like Ibrox...). 

The roof was pitched, high at the back and low at the front and covered both wings in one go with a small 'return', which it's said amplified the sound.  There was a row of skylights in the back pitch which would blind any striker on a good day and if they didn't know it was there.  The sun also bounced off the tin on the front right into the eyes of the opposition goalkeeper in the Annie Road end goal just after kickoff on a sunny autumn day - environmentally ideal!

The best spec was about 5/8 of the way up between the two columns slightly to the left of centre. It had my name on it  :D

Edti:  As VdM says it was a dark and brooding monster. Most of the time you couldn't really see where the back was, so it seemed even bigger than it was.  The (smoke and) steam rising from wet coats on a dark, wet day enhanced the effect!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:25:25 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2011, 02:25:17 pm »
Peter, this is the original Kop and Archibald Leitch's Main Stand (from Engineering Archie - another very good book):

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
Peter, this is the original Kop and Archibald Leitch's Main Stand (from Engineering Archie - another very good book):

It's no good, I'll have to ask my dad...

There's a picture of that ferro concrete somewhere...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:33:29 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2011, 02:30:17 pm »
Cheers guys :) Easy to see how there's no way you can recreate that these days.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2011, 02:31:08 pm »
It's no good, I'll have to ask my dad...

There's a picture of that ferro concrete somewhere...

There are some good pictures of the old Kop on line - just can't find the right search terms. There's one in particular of Ron Yeats leaning against one of the barriers but I just can't find it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:16 pm »
There are some good pictures of the old Kop on line - just can't find the right search terms. There's one in particular of Ron Yeats leaning against one of the barriers but I just can't find it.

There's one of Phil Thompson with David Johnson (?) leaning on a bar in a video that Lawro did on the Spion Kop story for the BBC (?)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:22:49 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2011, 02:39:41 pm »
Not great but shows the extent of the stands when empty:

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2011, 03:17:42 pm »
Talking of old pictures.
This one is a cracker..

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:19:41 pm by Terry De Niro »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2011, 03:19:47 pm »
amazing how much bigger it looks with people in it...

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2011, 03:24:12 pm »
Talking of old pictures.
This one is a cracker..

That's superb Terry.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »

Where there's a will...

Hey, he has the same name as you!

How many would that seat?

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »
Why build a new stadium, if your not going to expand the kop. It's fucking stupid.

Because the entire idea about the new stadium is not about extending the Kop ... It is about having a bigger capacity stadium, with (at least) additional 15,000 seats, and with some heavily improved corporate hospitality facilities ... When Borussia Dortmund were upgrading the Westfalenstadion, they didn't make the Sudtribune bigger ... They've increased the capacity of the other stands and filled the corners ... Also, they've built some heavily improved corporate hospitality facilities (VIP areas), in order to increase the match-day revenue, without raising the ticked prices for the ordinary fans in the stands ...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:51:28 pm by Ливерпул »

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »
Yeah okay but we're not building or upgrading the Westfalenstadion so what Dortmund did is limited in how it affects us. We're Liverpool and we want a ground that screams "we're Liverpool" and that includes having a Kop that emulates the spirit of its predecessors.