Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1065105 times)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #15000 on: April 26, 2024, 11:02:28 am »
At that stage of the game United had brought slabhead on and he was winning everything in the air. We couldn't keep hold of the ball. We were going long from Kelleher and the defenders and it was coming straight back. So I think it is harsh to blame Nunez for dropping deep and trying to pass the ball to a red shirt.

Maybe we should look at the inability of Endo and Macca to get on the ball. Never mind the fact that Nunez sprinted past both of them when he lost the ball.
But he had an easy pass under little pressure to Robertson as Virg and Mac indicated.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15001 on: April 26, 2024, 11:04:06 am »
I was the first on here to say he wouldn't make it as a Liverpool striker probably over a year ago but I still think now with a real goal scorer along side him next season he could do a job in the team.
He can still be coached to put the ball away from the goal keeper and not blast it and hope for the best.
Once it clicks the floodgates will open, it just needs drumming into him time and time again..

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #15002 on: April 26, 2024, 11:05:49 am »
I like him - he's a big, strong lad and just needs a few things to fall his way.

He's still very, very young - 24 - for those that remember Ian Rush, he was absolute utter fucking dogshite for us for years and then clicked.

I hope that's the case here too.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #15003 on: April 26, 2024, 11:08:55 am »
But he had an easy pass under little pressure to Robertson as Virg and Mac indicated.

Which Robbo would have launched upfield because the midfield wasn't showing for the ball at that stage. With Nunez deep then the ball was just coming straight back at us. At least Nunez was looking to keep the ball and build an attack.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #15004 on: April 26, 2024, 11:10:03 am »

I mean, I don't know how a water breather is going to help our attack but it's worth a go I guess.

;D
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15005 on: April 26, 2024, 11:10:24 am »
I like him - he's a big, strong lad and just needs a few things to fall his way.

He's still very, very young - 24 - for those that remember Ian Rush, he was absolute utter fucking dogshite for us for years and then clicked.

Think that's a similar age to when Drogba joined Chelsea, and he didn't blossom straight away either, in fact some of the criticism he received is similar to Darwin. Was a big lad too.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15006 on: April 26, 2024, 11:12:59 am »
Which Robbo would have launched upfield because the midfield wasn't showing for the ball at that stage. With Nunez deep then the ball was just coming straight back at us. At least Nunez was looking to keep the ball and build an attack.
Launching it would have given them the ball in a non-threatening area.

Their heads had dropped and they were creating fuck all. We needed to show some nous to see out the remaining 10 (TEN) minutes. There was literally no need to force it.

Offline RedSmoke

• Main Stander
  • He'll pass the ball, calm as you like....
« Reply #15007 on: April 26, 2024, 11:16:00 am »
I'm not sure I can take another season of the lad squandering chances. I've stuck up for him and do see what he generally brings to the team (work rate, defenders scared of his pace etc) but just feel we can't afford to have him missing so many chances. It's fine while the other players are firing but when they go through a dry spell too it really shows how much he's killing us.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15008 on: April 26, 2024, 11:19:08 am »
I'm not sure I can take another season of the lad squandering chances. I've stuck up for him and do see what he generally brings to the team (work rate, defenders scared of his pace etc) but just feel we can't afford to have him missing so many chances. It's fine while the other players are firing but when they go through a dry spell too it really shows how much he's killing us.
So to paraphrase he can't miss chances but others can?

Offline RedSmoke

• Main Stander
« Reply #15009 on: April 26, 2024, 11:21:09 am »

No, not at all. He can't miss them with the regularity that he does. Which is very regular!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15010 on: April 26, 2024, 11:23:49 am »
No, not at all. He can't miss them with the regularity that he does. Which is very regular!
He is our second highest goal scorer this season isn't he. Improved on last season. That's positives to take.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15011 on: April 26, 2024, 11:26:06 am »
Andy from Allerton

I think your memory is playing tricks, Ian Rush first proper season he scored over 30 goals, next season scored even more then scored nearly 50 in third season.
Think it was high 40's.
Don't don't were you got he was rubbish for years from..

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15012 on: April 26, 2024, 11:37:20 am »
At that stage of the game United had brought slabhead on and he was winning everything in the air. We couldn't keep hold of the ball. We were going long from Kelleher and the defenders and it was coming straight back. So I think it is harsh to blame Nunez for dropping deep and trying to pass the ball to a red shirt.

Maybe we should look at the inability of Endo and Macca to get on the ball. Never mind the fact that Nunez sprinted past both of them when he lost the ball.

It’s indefensible for me. There’s absolutely nothing on in the middle of the pitch there.

Offline Kenrick_66

• Main Stander
« Reply #15013 on: April 26, 2024, 11:39:54 am »

Not having that. :) Rush played half a dozen games at the fag end of 80/81 (including an excellent performance at Villa Park in a LC final replay) and didn't score. The following season he scored 30 goals. He was the best finisher in Europe for the rest of the 80s. (Still love that Dalglish equaliser v West Ham in that Villa park game)

Offline Ginieus

• Main Stander
  • Chilled out entertainer
« Reply #15014 on: April 26, 2024, 11:50:55 am »
So what we just let him go on a free then?

We will move him on even if it’s on loan.

No I didn't say anything about leaving on a free but clearly we are not going to sell now as their won't be a market for him and importantly not at prices we would accept.

Not sure he will go out on loan personally.

Offline RedSmoke

• Main Stander
« Reply #15015 on: April 26, 2024, 11:53:04 am »
He is our second highest goal scorer this season isn't he. Improved on last season. That's positives to take.

Yes, can't argue there's been an improvement, just feel he misses chances far too regular and certain games could of gone a different way if he put away some of the easy chances he's missed.

Maybe I'm being harsh and should give him another season, I just think I'd like to see much more improvement by this stage.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15016 on: April 26, 2024, 11:54:58 am »

His overall play has probably improved this season, though that's gone off a cliff too in the past month or so. His goal-scoring hasn't really though. 15 in 42 last season, 18 from 50 this and still missing a lot of sitters, which he's been doing since he arrived. I really like the lad and thought that the Newcastle game was going to be a turning point for him, where it all started to click. It just hasn't happened though and he's regressed if anything. I'm still sort of on the fence with him, but I think that it's hope more than expectation that he'll come good at this point and I just don't know how long we're supposed to give him. 

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #15017 on: April 26, 2024, 12:01:07 pm »
The thing is, he had improved this season but his form has dropped massively over the past couple of months but so has everyone else bar maybe 1 or 2 players.

I really like him and have been willing him on since the day he joined but his schoolboy level finishing has become a massive problem. Yes he's young but fucking hell if he hasn't learned yet that he doesn't have to just put his head down and smash every shot, when will he?

Think we need to give him next season with the new manager and see how he gets on - if he doesn't hit at least 20 league goals, move him along.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15018 on: April 26, 2024, 12:07:57 pm »
Yes, can't argue there's been an improvement, just feel he misses chances far too regular and certain games could of gone a different way if he put away some of the easy chances he's missed.

Maybe I'm being harsh and should give him another season, I just think I'd like to see much more improvement by this stage.
He absolutely deserves another season at least. Should build the strike force around him now. Maybe move Mo more centrally also?

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #15019 on: April 26, 2024, 12:08:15 pm »
I don't know what it is about him, but I'm firmly in the camp of keeping him. I get the comments about adding a bit of finesse when taking his chances, but I think he's more intelligent than some give him credit for. He makes runs that creates space for others and I've seen plenty of occasions where his runs aren't picked up by the midfielders, much to his annoyance. He doesn't shy away even when he does miss and he bloody well works his socks off for the team.
I bloody love him, despite his idiosyncrasies.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15020 on: April 26, 2024, 12:09:15 pm »
His overall play has probably improved this season, though that's gone off a cliff too in the past month or so. His goal-scoring hasn't really though. 15 in 42 last season, 18 from 50 this and still missing a lot of sitters, which he's been doing since he arrived. I really like the lad and thought that the Newcastle game was going to be a turning point for him, where it all started to click. It just hasn't happened though and he's regressed if anything. I'm still sort of on the fence with him, but I think that it's hope more than expectation that he'll come good at this point and I just don't know how long we're supposed to give him. 
Unfortunately quite a few haven't performed well this last month. Nunez seems to be more of a scapegoat for some (not necessarily you).

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #15021 on: April 26, 2024, 12:09:38 pm »
Lads playing in the astro on a sunday know that you don't blast a ball at a goalkeeper from 8 yards out if the whole side of the goal is open - why a professional footballer can't seem to grasp this concept is exactly why Nunez is one of the most bizarre players I've ever seen.

Not only the finishing aspect of his game, but he also can barely control the ball - it bounces off his ankle or shin way too often.

I think with Nunez you have all of the physical attributes to make a footballer (strength, pace, power, height) but the brain just isn't making the connection. He looks a bit thick to be honest.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15022 on: April 26, 2024, 12:11:22 pm »
I don't know what it is about him, but I'm firmly in the camp of keeping him. I get the comments about adding a bit of finesse when taking his chances, but I think he's more intelligent than some give him credit for. He makes runs that creates space for others and I've seen plenty of occasions where his runs aren't picked up by the midfielders, much to his annoyance. He doesn't shy away even when he does miss and he bloody well works his socks off for the team.
I bloody love him, despite his idiosyncrasies.

He was invisible in the second half of the derby. I'd say he does shy away.

Out of all the players to receive a cult following I fail to understand why he has one. Is it because he goes a bit more mad than others when we score or because he's from Uruguay and want him to replicate Suarez?

One more season he should get.

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15023 on: April 26, 2024, 12:13:57 pm »
How much could we realistically get for him anyway? I keep seeing £50m pop up in this thread but I can’t imagine any club out there that would be willing to pay that at the moment. And if next year, his performances don’t improve, will his value decline that much? Whatever his problems are, he’s still got 31 goal involvements this season.

Let’s say we could get £40m now and £30m next summer. We’ve got a manager coming in who’s known for improving players. I think most people, after the red mist from this season’s collapse dies down, would take that £10m bet.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15024 on: April 26, 2024, 12:20:45 pm »
Unfortunately quite a few haven't performed well this last month. Nunez seems to be more of a scapegoat for some (not necessarily you).

Yeah, I understand your point and get that it's always going to be harder to shine as a player when the team is somewhat dysfunctional in general. For the sake of clarity, I'm not one of those spouting the 'Darwin has cost us the league' bollocks. I understand that he is far from alone in being poor the past month or so, but feel like even allowing for those aforementioned considerations his overall play has fallen off drastically based upon where he was at earlier in the season.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15025 on: April 26, 2024, 12:21:48 pm »
He was invisible in the second half of the derby.
We really didn't do / create much in the second half.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15026 on: April 26, 2024, 12:22:32 pm »
Yeah, I understand your point and get that it's always going to be harder to shine as a player when the team is somewhat dysfunctional in general. For the sake of clarity, I'm not one of those spouting the 'Darwin has cost us the league' bollocks. I understand that he is far from alone in being poor the past month or so, but feel like even allowing for those aforementioned considerations his overall play has fallen off drastically based upon where he was at earlier in the season.
Think his confidence has gone imo. What's the longest run in the side he has had?

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #15027 on: April 26, 2024, 12:25:49 pm »
He was invisible in the second half of the derby. I'd say he does shy away.

Out of all the players to receive a cult following I fail to understand why he has one. Is it because he goes a bit more mad than others when we score or because he's from Uruguay and want him to replicate Suarez?

One more season he should get.
Yes I get the cult following bit and I guess I'm one of those!
To be fair, quite a lot of the team went missing second half in the derby.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 12:29:16 pm by dirkster »

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #15028 on: April 26, 2024, 12:36:52 pm »
He absolutely deserves another season at least. Should build the strike force around him now. Maybe move Mo more centrally also?

It would be crazy to build the attack around Nunez. I don't mind keeping him but building the attack around him is just bonkers. I'll be surprised if we don't cash in on Salah while we can and Slot will likely bring in at least one forward player.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #15029 on: April 26, 2024, 12:39:55 pm »
for those that remember Ian Rush, he was absolute utter fucking dogshite for us for years and then clicked.

This is nonesense.

Ian rush had 1 season (80/81) where he didn’t play much at all. Made less than 10 appearances and didn’t score. Struggled to break through that season into a very good team as a 19/20 year old.

By the time he was entering a season where he was 25, he’d scored 171 goals in the next 5 seasons. He’d won Young Player of the Year, Player of the Year, won multiple league, a European Cup where he bagged the winner away at the Spanish champions and 2 crucial away goals in the semi-final.

I like Nunez but the comparison with Ian Rush on any level is wrong. Apart from the fact they both play up front for Liverpool
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15030 on: April 26, 2024, 12:42:02 pm »
Doesn't matter - Slot will need to have at least next season to work with him.

Online mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #15031 on: April 26, 2024, 12:42:21 pm »

Isn't that been the theme for 24 months now?

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15032 on: April 26, 2024, 12:50:02 pm »
The onus is on Nunez to prove himself and he's fluffed his lines over the season. Don't think he's helped by having a consistent position - left, right, middle and sub. He can't do what Salah or Mane did so there is a feeling for me of square peg and round holes.

Think he does better down the right and uses his pace but he would also have to work hard with the press and our full backs.

Jury still out in terms of consistency but he'll be here another season.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15033 on: April 26, 2024, 12:50:21 pm »
It would be crazy to build the attack around Nunez. I don't mind keeping him but building the attack around him is just bonkers. I'll be surprised if we don't cash in on Salah while we can and Slot will likely bring in at least one forward player.
So build our attack around someone who hasn't joined yet? Makes sense.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #15034 on: April 26, 2024, 12:56:08 pm »

lol looks like you can’t remember that far back, “ Rush was dogshite for years”. 😂

Offline johnathank

• youverymuch
  • Main Stander
« Reply #15035 on: April 26, 2024, 01:08:45 pm »
He’s mostly scored against sub-mid table teams and Europa League opponents.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15036 on: April 26, 2024, 01:11:05 pm »
I think the criticism is he should be aiming left and right, and not centre …

Quite. He's both rubbish because he hits it at the keeper too much and rubbish because he hits the woodwork too much. It's an in depth dissection of his finishing when it matters much less than people think.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15037 on: April 26, 2024, 01:13:18 pm »
Quite. He's both rubbish because he hits it at the keeper too much and rubbish because he hits the woodwork too much. It's an in depth dissection of his finishing when it matters much less than people think.
You and others can keep saying this but it won’t make it true. You have elite players, elite goal scorers that are critical of him and the decisions he makes in front of goal and some of you are here absolving him of any responsibility.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15038 on: April 26, 2024, 01:17:29 pm »
You and others can keep saying this but it won’t make it true. You have elite players, elite goal scorers that are critical of him and the decisions he makes in front of goal and some of you are here absolving him of any responsibility.

Yes Michael Owen is a famed expert in analysing the game.

It's not that finishing ability doesn't matter at all. It is possible to overperform your xG and you'll score more goals as a result. It's just that it isn't actually necessary to be a player like this to be a great goalscorer. And Nunez doesn't need to become it to shutup all his critics. to be honest he probably just needs to get lucky instead of unlucky a bit more. And then anyone who criticises him will look like an idiot because they'll be criticising a player who is scoring a lot of goals.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #15039 on: April 26, 2024, 01:18:44 pm »
He’s mostly scored against sub-mid table teams and Europa League opponents.

While this is broadly true, he got winners v Newcastle and Forest, and openers against Burnley, Bournemouth, and Sheff United. It feels odd to mark him down for that, some fucker has to score them.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.