Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 332081 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rhian Brewster, set to stay
« Reply #440 on: June 20, 2018, 04:56:11 pm »
Not a surprise at all. And I get it. But what you are describing are the conditions for just any other job, never mind sports. I stay in my job because I love it. And yes, sometimes I think of changing it, but I didn't in the last 16 years. And while I love what I do, I would love it the same if I did it somewhere else.

Maybe I'm wrong or nostalgic, but football used to be more than a job... Maybe that's why I have enormous respect for one-team players.

No, what I am describing is how 99.99 percent of the players view the game. They have a short period of time in their careers to develop and mature on the pitch, they need all the tools they can get, wherever that may be, and of course they want to win. He's an age, where in order to be better he needs to be playing. Love for the club has nothing to do with that, he could love the club more than you and I,but if he isn't going to be playing, then what good is it for him and for us?

I've changed jobs 3 times in the last 4 years, all have been to better myself and to improve. I have no loyalty to any company, everyone does what is best for them.

For a lot of players, football is just a job, a way to help their families and themselves, they just happen to be good at it. For some it's a passion, but there is not 1 rule for all players today. For him at his age, his goal is develop to get better, and he needs to be playing to do that. Loving the club has nothing to do with that.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #441 on: June 20, 2018, 05:33:19 pm »
I think we can all understand Rhian's ambition.  If he gives the club a chance (we assume the contract announcement will be made formally soon), then we will accept he has handled it fairly.

However, in terms of players' approaches generally, I suspect there is inevitably a difference between the Sterling / Brewster type who joined us at 15 / 16, and a Harry Wilson type who joined us at (say) 8.  Particularly if the latter are scousers.

That's not to criticise anyone mentioned, but to point out there may still be some scope for romance and devotion.  The odds are long though, because even the Fowler / Gerrard type will have to think they are moving forward at a proper pace.  However, whilst we all find the "Class of 92" brand nauseating, the key there was the exceptional youngsters came through together and successively and were particularly loyal to the club as a result.  I don't see why the same couldn't happen here, at least in theory, it is just so difficult to pull it off. 

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #442 on: June 20, 2018, 05:39:07 pm »
He's an age, where in order to be better he needs to be playing. Love for the club has nothing to do with that, he could love the club more than you and I,but if he isn't going to be playing, then what good is it for him and for us?

I've changed jobs 3 times in the last 4 years, all have been to better myself and to improve. I have no loyalty to any company, everyone does what is best for them.

Spot on. As a Liverpool fan, I am delighted he is staying because Klopp wants him to and I trust his judgment.

Honestly though, if I were his agent I would be advising him to leave if I could get him an offer from a club in one of the best top flights. I can't see him getting much time on the pitch with us. Not as much as he probably needs at this stage in his career. A loan to a PL club would be ideal for all parties.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: June 20, 2018, 05:40:43 pm »
I think we can all understand Rhian's ambition.  If he gives the club a chance (we assume the contract announcement will be made formally soon), then we will accept he has handled it fairly.

However, in terms of players' approaches generally, I suspect there is inevitably a difference between the Sterling / Brewster type who joined us at 15 / 16, and a Harry Wilson type who joined us at (say) 8.  Particularly if the latter are scousers.

That's not to criticise anyone mentioned, but to point out there may still be some scope for romance and devotion.  The odds are long though, because even the Fowler / Gerrard type will have to think they are moving forward at a proper pace.  However, whilst we all find the "Class of 92" brand nauseating, the key there was the exceptional youngsters came through together and successively and were particularly loyal to the club as a result.  I don't see why the same couldn't happen here, at least in theory, it is just so difficult to pull it off.

It was easy for them lot to be loyal to United, they were winning everything and they were getting chances to play. They had no reason to leave.

At the end of the day it all comes down to circumstance and how good you are. If clyne doesn't get injured, then perhaps Trent doesn't get a chance to showcase his ability, so you need some luck as well, but him being a scouser is a plus for us, however if he wasn't getting the playing time, he'd be frustrated, regardless of his love for the club

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #444 on: June 20, 2018, 07:17:18 pm »
I'd be surprised if he plays more than 200 minutes.

Hell of a long match that. Hope he makes it through it.. :P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #445 on: June 20, 2018, 08:59:55 pm »
It was easy for them lot to be loyal to United, they were winning everything and they were getting chances to play. They had no reason to leave.

At the end of the day it all comes down to circumstance and how good you are. If clyne doesn't get injured, then perhaps Trent doesn't get a chance to showcase his ability, so you need some luck as well, but him being a scouser is a plus for us, however if he wasn't getting the playing time, he'd be frustrated, regardless of his love for the club

I think Trent was always gonna be given a route through

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: June 20, 2018, 09:05:44 pm »
I think Trent was always gonna be given a route through

Maybe, but a fully fit Clyne, he wouldn't have had that many opportunities, especially when there is Gomez as well.

It's worked out for the best for us.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #447 on: June 20, 2018, 09:07:20 pm »
The reality is, as a pacey young striker, he likely has a 10-12 year career. There aren't many forwards with his profile that will still be playing at top clubs and international football after 30.

If he stays here and doesn't get much first team football by 22 as we see with lots of these kids, then that is 1/3rd of his career gone and he is then playing catch up. If his ambition is to be playing in the next major tournaments for England, he needs to be somewhere he can do enough to get into the side as Rashford has. If that is here, then great. If it isn't though, then there is a disconnect between his and our views in terms of where he is at as a footballer.

I don't blame players for looking for to fulfil their ambitions as they have a tiny window to do so and it goes very quickly. I had lots of clients who were footballers towards the back ends of their careers and it was the ones who didn't break through until later that were full of regret - that felt like they only had a 7 year career instead of 15+.

I never really harboured any resentment towards Coutinho for that reason. Or Suarez. They were always upfront about the fact that Barcelona was their #1 destination, we knew that when signing them and they made that clear when the chance came their way to move to them.

Where I do have a problem is when I feel like people have strung along or tricked the club for their own interests - like Macca, Owen or to some extent, Can. Insisting right up until they are leaving they still may sign a contract. There is a level of deception there that I am uncomfortable with. I don't get that from Brewster.

Spot on, Babu. Klopp has played a blinder here I think. He has obviously mapped out a pathway for the kid to the 1st team. The rest is up to Rhian. Sounds like that's all he wants....a chance and is confident enough to believe he will take it. I like this kid, I like him a lot. Go on, son, take your chance
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #448 on: June 20, 2018, 09:09:33 pm »
Maybe, but a fully fit Clyne, he wouldn't have had that many opportunities, especially when there is Gomez as well.

It's worked out for the best for us.

Eeeesh hate that argument

If Paul Stewart hadn’t been shit, Fowler wouldn’t have had many opportunities.....

TAA is an outstanding youngster and has been for quite some time. If Brewster, Wilson and Woodburn are good enough they’ll get plenty of chances.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:18 pm »
Eeeesh hate that argument

If Paul Stewart hadn’t been shit, Fowler wouldn’t have had many opportunities.....

TAA is an outstanding youngster and has been for quite some time. If Brewster, Wilson and Woodburn are good enough they’ll get plenty of chances.

Ugh, I am not saying he isn't an outstanding youngster, I am saying sometimes you also need the right moment along with your ability.

The injury to Clyne helped out massively, as he was able to play through various different games and learn and improve on his already impressive talent.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:03 pm »
Ugh, I am not saying he isn't an outstanding youngster, I am saying sometimes you also need the right moment along with your ability.

The injury to Clyne helped out massively, as he was able to play through various different games and learn and improve on his already impressive talent.

If you’ve got the ability, you’ll get those chances though. If you’re quite good, you need a bit of luck....if you’re a Martin Kelly or Andre Wisdom. If you’re a TAA, or a Gerrard or Fowler or Owen then you’ll get those opportunities pretty quickly regardless of injuries. And frankly, that’s what you need to be a big player for us coming through from the U23s.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #451 on: June 20, 2018, 09:56:45 pm »

Agreed, Trent doesn't get anywhere near as much game time this season had Clyne been fit. It is nothing to do with his ability as a footballer and perhaps Klopp has had him earmarked as the natural successor to Clyne anyway but Clyne would have played the majority of games I think.

That's natural due to Clyne's experience but when you consider we went out of the domestic cups early, he may have had a different season altogether in another life. As it happens, he took his chance with both hands and feet and fair fucks to him for doing so

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: June 20, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »
If you’ve got the ability, you’ll get those chances though. If you’re quite good, you need a bit of luck....if you’re a Martin Kelly or Andre Wisdom. If you’re a TAA, or a Gerrard or Fowler or Owen then you’ll get those opportunities pretty quickly regardless of injuries. And frankly, that’s what you need to be a big player for us coming through from the U23s.

So you think that Trent would have played the same amount of games as he has this year had Clyne been fit?

He wouldn't have. But I am glad he did.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: June 20, 2018, 09:58:11 pm »
Agreed, Trent doesn't get anywhere near as much game time this season had Clyne been fit. It is nothing to do with his ability as a footballer and perhaps Klopp has had him earmarked as the natural successor to Clyne anyway but Clyne would have played the majority of games I think.

That's natural due to Clyne's experience but when you consider we went out of the domestic cups early, he may have had a different season altogether in another life. As it happens, he took his chance with both hands and feet and fair fucks to him for doing so

Absolutely. Obviously if he didn't have the quality the chance he got this year, wouldn't have mattered, but he did and it paid dividends for us and him of course.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:53 pm »
So you think that Trent would have played the same amount of games as he has this year had Clyne been fit?

He wouldn't have. But I am glad he did.

None of us know that. He wasn’t. I think he’d have got a lot of games regardless.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: June 21, 2018, 01:48:13 am »
None of us know that. He wasn’t. I think he’d have got a lot of games regardless.

I feel like you are just arguing for the sake of it.

1. I am not stating that Trent didn't prove his ability or his talent
2. I am not saying that Trent wasn't going to get a chance to prove his ability
3. I am not saying that Trent is merely just lucky that he got his chance

What I am saying is that a fully fit Clyne, along with Gomez [who also played as RB], Trent would have gotten playing time but wouldn't have had as much. He wouldn't have played every single game. That's a fact because  he didn't play every single game with Clyne injured, he was rotated with Gomez through out the season. That's a fact.

So Clyne,Trent and Gomez all fit all playing, the likelyhood of Trent getting as many games as he did this year is very very unlikely.

Anyway, back to Brewster, I like his attitude and determination.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:49:51 am by deFacto »

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: June 21, 2018, 07:40:12 am »
Has this contract extension be announced by the club yet?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: June 21, 2018, 09:58:55 am »
I feel like you are just arguing for the sake of it.

1. I am not stating that Trent didn't prove his ability or his talent
2. I am not saying that Trent wasn't going to get a chance to prove his ability
3. I am not saying that Trent is merely just lucky that he got his chance

What I am saying is that a fully fit Clyne, along with Gomez [who also played as RB], Trent would have gotten playing time but wouldn't have had as much. He wouldn't have played every single game. That's a fact because  he didn't play every single game with Clyne injured, he was rotated with Gomez through out the season. That's a fact.

So Clyne,Trent and Gomez all fit all playing, the likelyhood of Trent getting as many games as he did this year is very very unlikely.

Anyway, back to Brewster, I like his attitude and determination.

Agree with your take.

For me, football isn't always about ability.  But sometimes luck.  Being in the right place, at the right time.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: June 21, 2018, 10:18:19 am »
Agree with your take.

For me, football isn't always about ability.  But sometimes luck.  Being in the right place, at the right time.

Agree. Luck plays a huge part.

TAA grasped his chance. I’d be surprised if he started against West Ham as he’ll be late back to pre season and clyne will be there.

Another example of a youngster getting his break through luck is rashford. No one had heard of him. Not many Utd had. He was about eight choice. Injuries gave him a chance and he took it

Brewster will get his chance- just can he take it is the key

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #459 on: June 21, 2018, 10:48:09 am »
For the past two decades, players had to choose between loyalty and ambition because we were never really up there with the great clubs. However, I'm very hopeful the situation has turned around and we are in/entering that core group of elite clubs and players no longer have to choose between loyalty and ambition because they are not mutually exclusive anymore.

As a huge fan of Rashford (not possible but I would love to sign him and have him rotate/backup for Mane and Salah) if Brewster is in that mold, I definitely want to see more of him next season.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #460 on: June 21, 2018, 12:04:06 pm »
Every one of these youngsters who make the first team save us £25million that can be spent elsewhere, it is in everyone's interest that some of them come through and I am sure the management at LFC plan for this .

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #461 on: June 21, 2018, 12:07:38 pm »
Has this contract extension be announced by the club yet?

All U've seen are quotes about an agreement but nothing on the club website about an actual signature.

Waiting for the 1st July for some reason?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: June 21, 2018, 12:49:23 pm »
All U've seen are quotes about an agreement but nothing on the club website about an actual signature.

Isn't that normally when contracts start?

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #463 on: June 21, 2018, 01:54:56 pm »

Could be as simple as the kid is on holiday and they don't want to drag him in from it just for this as they can do that when he needs to report for pre-season. He may have signed the contract but they want to announce it with a photo shoot and interview which is the norm for these things.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #464 on: June 21, 2018, 10:18:21 pm »
Could be as simple as the kid is on holiday and they don't want to drag him in from it just for this as they can do that when he needs to report for pre-season. He may have signed the contract but they want to announce it with a photo shoot and interview which is the norm for these things.

Or he's working on his lean? :)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #465 on: July 17, 2018, 09:00:45 pm »
He’s signed the contract!

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/307441-rhian-brewster-liverpool-contract-signed

Let’s hope he fulfills his potential..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: July 17, 2018, 09:01:20 pm »
Great news! Really looking forward to seeing him with the first team.

Hopefully the first of many good newses.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:21 pm »
5 year deal.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:41 pm »
Lots of good news today  ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #469 on: July 17, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/307441-rhian-brewster-liverpool-contract-signed

good for him, and good news for the club too  8)

Shame the injury ruined his chances of a real pre-season, but hopefully he'll be back ready to go in good time!

Love the bit in his interview about Ox helping him during his rehab:

Does the time you spend here working with the physios make you mentally stronger?

It does. You get annoyed and angry because you’re not playing. When you’re seeing everybody else on holiday, and you’re here working and fighting to get fight, it does get boring and annoying. Me and Ox have been strong together and pushed each other on. Ox has helped me a lot, him being senior, to make me push and push. I can’t thank him enough. I’m looking forward to both of us getting back fit and hopefully playing.

It sounds like a bond that’s going to last a long time?

Of course, I’ve made a brother there.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:06:32 pm by Dië Nullfuenfer »

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: July 17, 2018, 09:03:56 pm »

Fantastic news, hope he can start getting the appearances he needs this next season.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #471 on: July 17, 2018, 09:03:59 pm »
Getting this sorted might turn out to be one of the best things we do this summer.

He's got incredible potential, can't wait to see him back fit and scoring goals at senior level.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: July 17, 2018, 09:07:22 pm »
Great news he has finally signed. Think he might get some game time this season.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:10 pm »
good for him, and good news for the club too  8)

Shame the injury ruined his chances of a real pre-season, but hopefully he'll be back ready to go in good time!

Love the bit in his interview about Ox helping him during his rehab:

Does the time you spend here working with the physios make you mentally stronger?

It does. You get annoyed and angry because you’re not playing. When you’re seeing everybody else on holiday, and you’re here working and fighting to get fight, it does get boring and annoying. Me and Ox have been strong together and pushed each other on. Ox has helped me a lot, him being senior, to make me push and push. I can’t thank him enough. I’m looking forward to both of us getting back fit and hopefully playing.

It sounds like a bond that’s going to last a long time?

Of course, I’ve made a brother there.

He's a class act, wish we signed him earlier.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:40 pm »
Nice, was worried it was dragging on a bit after the reports he was going to sign.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:42 pm »
Yes! Get in!!! Brilliant news!!! :)
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:59 pm »
I can’t speak highly enough of the way this young man has represented himself over the last couple of years.

I hope that this bodes well for his career, but even if his career fails, he will be fine with an attitude like that..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #477 on: July 17, 2018, 09:09:06 pm »
Here's the interview he did:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/307443-rhian-brewster-exclusive-interview-liverpool

Another interesting bit, about the football writers award ceremony he went to with Mo:

You were a guest at the Football Writers’ Association’s awards, on the table alongside Mo Salah. How did that come about?

I was at Melwood, going in for treatment, when Jürgen pulled me and said we had our awards but he’d like me to go to those awards as well, that it would be really good for me. They invited me and wanted me personally alongside Mo. It was a bit of a shock. When I got there I was a bit nervous but it was a really great night and the words Jürgen had for me were great – I thank him so much, it helped me a lot. I know the club is behind me. I knew from that this is my home.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: July 17, 2018, 09:10:58 pm »
Hoping to be back by Christmas... that’s nearly a year out... blimey..
W

Online deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: July 17, 2018, 09:18:42 pm »
Fantastic news. Hopefully so long out won't be too big a setback for the lad. One of the best talents of his age group.