Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 59486 times)

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #320 on: October 31, 2011, 07:38:10 pm »
Ha! Why?! Is cheaper on eBay or something?
I have the clear one. 99p delivered on ebay - bargain!

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #321 on: November 2, 2011, 09:02:04 am »
I can't sem to get my Wifi hotspot working -sets up ok and i can connect the laptop to the S2 network but my 3g connection just seems to die with nothing going up or down. I'm on Orange.

Anybody got any ideas?
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #322 on: November 2, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »
Can you chance the lockscreen without downloading an app?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #323 on: November 2, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »
Can you chance the lockscreen without downloading an app?
Yes, find the wallpaper you want to use for the lockscreen. Select Set As and choose lockscreen from the menu.

Offline chap114

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: November 3, 2011, 08:24:05 am »
there are some white ones from Hong Kong not so expensive (99p -£2.50). 
Cheers.  Ordered a couple.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #325 on: November 3, 2011, 09:29:46 am »
I can't sem to get my Wifi hotspot working -sets up ok and i can connect the laptop to the S2 network but my 3g connection just seems to die with nothing going up or down. I'm on Orange.

Anybody got any ideas?

Google of course is my friend

http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/82054-internet-tethering-orange-mobile-2.html

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: November 3, 2011, 11:09:34 am »
Guys, the kindle app works like a peach on this phone. I had tried using it on my previous android phone, but on this phone it is smooth as buttered cocoa.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: November 4, 2011, 12:08:50 am »
Guys, the kindle app works like a peach on this phone. I had tried using it on my previous android phone, but on this phone it is smooth as buttered cocoa.

It does but you can't use it to read downloaded files sadly, well, you can if they're .pdf but they seem to be rare as rocking horse shit when it comes to torrents
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #328 on: November 15, 2011, 11:34:41 pm »
Mine keeps turning itself off, there doesn't seem like there's a reason for it like it's overheated or anything.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #329 on: November 16, 2011, 08:46:40 am »
anybody looking at getting the sii Tesco have a brilliant deal on imo  £50 upfront but you get 300 mins 300 texts and unlimited data for 20.42 a month  over 24 months anyone  seen a better deal ?

Offline ozzy-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King.
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:26 am »
Anyone know a good place to get a spare battery or two?
That's about as funny as having impotency and a pregnant wife.

Offline arsestar

• Main Stander
« Reply #331 on: November 16, 2011, 09:57:30 am »
anybody looking at getting the sii Tesco have a brilliant deal on imo  £50 upfront but you get 300 mins 300 texts and unlimited data for 20.42 a month  over 24 months anyone  seen a better deal ?

your deal costs £540.08, you can get it for the phone for  £312.54 stick a giffgaff sim (300 xnet mins unlimited txt + internet) £10pm x 12 months taking the total to £432.54 plus you also might get £50 cashback via quidco making it £382.54 for 1 year.

the deals on hduk

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-s2-dialaphone-overall-handset-cost-312-54-potentially-262-54-with-1057523

Online momo22

• Legacy Fan
Now you think Ronald McDonald gonna go down to the basement and say, "Hey Mr. Nugget - you the bomb. We sellin' chicken faster than you can tear the bone out. So I'm gonna write my clowney ass name on this fat-ass cheque for you."

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #333 on: November 16, 2011, 07:05:02 pm »
Mine keeps turning itself off, there doesn't seem like there's a reason for it like it's overheated or anything.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Happens me to, convinced myself that I was hitting the power putting while putting it in my pocket!!

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #334 on: November 16, 2011, 07:12:11 pm »
Happens me to, convinced myself that I was hitting the power putting while putting it in my pocket!!

I don't think it is that, mine turned off in a locker while I went swimming.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: November 16, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »
mine also turns itself off at random, it's not too often but it just happens
STFU and agree with me.

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #336 on: November 17, 2011, 10:27:50 am »
mine also turns itself off at random, it's not too often but it just happens

same here

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: November 17, 2011, 11:18:07 am »
Mine doesn't. Have had it since early this year.

I'm flashing a custom ROM tonight, a lot of ROMs promise big improvements in battery life which I find is pretty shite on stock. Will likely go with MIUI.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2011, 08:59:12 am »
I've had one of these since last Friday after getting rid of my iphone 3gs. I've been very impressed so far, still finding out new things it can dach day. My only issue so far is texting, the keyboard seems very difficult to type accurately, is tere any way I can change the keyboard too include predictive text that auto corrects without showing the box of suggested words that makes your text box move up and down as you type? I hope that makes sense! Pretty much the same way the iphone typing/texting works.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2011, 03:17:52 pm »
I've had one of these since last Friday after getting rid of my iphone 3gs. I've been very impressed so far, still finding out new things it can dach day. My only issue so far is texting, the keyboard seems very difficult to type accurately, is tere any way I can change the keyboard too include predictive text that auto corrects without showing the box of suggested words that makes your text box move up and down as you type? I hope that makes sense! Pretty much the same way the iphone typing/texting works.
I like using Swiftkey app. Take a look. I think they offer a free trial.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2011, 01:54:10 pm »
Have you tried swype? Takes a little bit of getting used to (you have to trust it) but its amazing. Much better than predictive text imo.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #341 on: November 20, 2011, 02:51:24 pm »

Press the setting button by the keyboard and activate the predictive text...assuming thats what you mean
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2011, 09:33:21 pm »
Will you let me know how you get on with that please matey?
I keep thinking of flashing mine but don't know whether its worth the risk or not!
Which ROM you going for?

edit...That's to .adam. I don't know why it didn't quote you?

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: November 21, 2011, 09:48:19 pm »
Mine doesn't. Have had it since early this year.

I'm flashing a custom ROM tonight, a lot of ROMs promise big improvements in battery life which I find is pretty shite on stock. Will likely go with MIUI.

Download juice defender ultimate, since I have my battery lasts for roughly 2 days before needing to be charged. Massive difference to when I first got it.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: November 24, 2011, 11:52:27 pm »
did anyone have any problems connecting to their house wifi? whenever i try to connect it says authenticating and then disconnects and asks me to put the key in again ?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: November 25, 2011, 02:00:00 pm »
did anyone have any problems connecting to their house wifi? whenever i try to connect it says authenticating and then disconnects and asks me to put the key in again ?

Might not like the type of encryption. Change it from WPA to WPA+PSK if possible - might make it play nicer.

Will you let me know how you get on with that please matey?

I've been using MIUI for a week or so now. Impressions are good so far. Certainly seems snappier to use and the new interface is a refreshing change. Not a massive difference in battery life (perhaps a shade better) but it's not meant to be a power-friendly ROM. There are others out there which have kernels specifically designed for squeezing out as much juice as possible from the battery if that's what you're looking for.

All in all, it was worth doing it. I've had mine rooted for a while and have been waiting for a decent ROM and this one seems pretty good so far!

Download juice defender ultimate, since I have my battery lasts for roughly 2 days before needing to be charged. Massive difference to when I first got it.

I've used JD in the past (with my old HTC Desire) and the only massive difference came from restricting the 3G access (only switched on in bursts). The thing that pissed me off about it was the delay in switching it back on and getting a stable connection once I woke the phone to use. I already use Llama to give me location-aware profiles which squeezes the battery a little bit but I think that, other than taking drastic measures, I'm going to have to get used to it.

Offline Hypias_noggin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #346 on: November 26, 2011, 04:42:46 pm »
Is this a good deal chaps?

600 mins
unlimited text
1GB data

24 month contract @ £27/ month with Orange.

???

Offline Jay797

• Kopite
  • We must all at least Tri
« Reply #347 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »
I've been using MIUI for a week or so now. Impressions are good so far. Certainly seems snappier to use and the new interface is a refreshing change. Not a massive difference in battery life (perhaps a shade better) but it's not meant to be a power-friendly ROM. There are others out there which have kernels specifically designed for squeezing out as much juice as possible from the battery if that's what you're looking for.

All in all, it was worth doing it. I've had mine rooted for a while and have been waiting for a decent ROM and this one seems pretty good so far!

Sorry for all the questions matey, you say that you've had your phone rooted for a while, what ROM did you use when you first rooted your phone then? How long did it take you to root it? I just want to get rid of all the stock apps that I don't use, so is there anything that can do that without having to root my phone?
Cheers matey

Edit
Oh & I dont seem to be able to quote other posts now, am I doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 07:51:04 pm by Jay797 »

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: November 26, 2011, 07:15:20 pm »

600 mins
unlimited text
1GB data

???

It's not amazing but it's a good deal yes

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »
Right my first real problem with this phone, my battery is all of a sudden just draining very very fast. Noticed it saturday afternoon, looked at my battery stats and normally display takes up most of the %, but now its draining really fast its andriod system and android os taking up all %. Anybody had this before? leave my phone in my pocket for 10 hours during the day and it always takes up 5% at the most but today it took a massive 40% out of it. Any help?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: November 28, 2011, 10:13:11 pm »
it's probably some app you've recently installed that doesn't like your phone, remove apps you've put on lately and see if it improves
STFU and agree with me.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: November 29, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »
Alright I got one today, what should I first do?

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: November 29, 2011, 01:20:04 pm »
Throw it at the wall to activate it's shock protector.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: November 30, 2011, 09:52:06 am »
Flashed the Simple & Clean ROM last night along with the SpeedMod kernel, supposedly one of the best ROM's/kernels for extending battery life. I'll report back after using it for a bit.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: December 1, 2011, 12:54:10 pm »

600 mins
unlimited text
1GB data

???
assuming the phone is free of course, for the mins/text/data i cannot find better!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: December 1, 2011, 10:07:54 pm »

Sorry for all the questions matey, you say that you've had your phone rooted for a while, what ROM did you use when you first rooted your phone then? How long did it take you to root it? I just want to get rid of all the stock apps that I don't use, so is there anything that can do that without having to root my phone?
Cheers matey

Edit
Oh & I dont seem to be able to quote other posts now, am I doing something wrong?

what guide did you use, i'm thinking of going for  MIUI but a lot of the guides aren't very convincing
STFU and agree with me.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: December 2, 2011, 09:38:14 pm »
it's probably some app you've recently installed that doesn't like your phone, remove apps you've put on lately and see if it improves
It was an app, deleted a goal updates app and the phones went back to normal. On another note anybody got a good football scores app?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: December 5, 2011, 06:41:06 pm »
stuck MIUI on my SGS2, what an improvement over the stock samsung rom, so glad i did it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #358 on: December 5, 2011, 09:04:32 pm »
stuck MIUI on my SGS2, what an improvement over the stock samsung rom, so glad i did it
It was definitely my favourite ROM on my Desire.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #359 on: December 5, 2011, 09:27:26 pm »
Considering a ROM for mine to hopefully fix the annoying things, not sure which one to go for. Heard cyanogen was good? Is it worth waiting until they start coming out with ICS ones?