Author Topic: Stadium article  (Read 22218 times)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
Re: Stadium article
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:09 pm »
That's an interesting point though.

Whether it's correct or not, they've thrown the kitchen sink at that stadium. For what? From Invincibles to... not. And seemingly very 'little' left over to spend on players to keep where they'd managed to get.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:36:45 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 06:34:40 pm »
I find the estimates for a redeveloped Anfield - and come to that a new stadium - quite staggering and totally over the top.  I had reason to visit Bilbao in the Basque country a couple of years ago and visited the old San Mames stadium and discussed the building of the new national stadium to replace it.

Athletic Bilbao have built a brand new 53,332 capacity stadium from scratch adjacent to the old at a total reported cost of £186m paid for by the regional government.  The old ground was tremendous a real football stadium but AB did not wallow in nostalgia they looked at the numbers and moved forward.

I too have studied the figures for new build v redevelopment and whilst I cannot be bothered to once again go into the minutia I would go new build every day of the week.

Basic info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Mamés_Stadium_(2013)

The stadium is not 53,000. It will be if or when they build the final quarter of it. As it's not complete I wold reserve judgement on the final out-turn cost of the stadium.

Also need to compare like with like - that is essentially the Parrybowl that was so disliked by many. A simple and fairly basic scheme.

Does the 181 million Euros include all associated costs? Taxes, sign team fees, other consultants, land acquisition costs, all fit out costs etc? What is the difference in the spec for that stadium (publicly funded, council owned stadium) compared to the requirements of a high return, corporate friendly a Premier League, UEFA/FIFA top category ground?

I haven't bothered looking at the figures because There are just too many variables for it to be meaningful. But one point I'd challenge is the loss of season ticket revenue for the main stand and Anfield Road for a refurbishment. I walked around the ground on Saturday with a friend from a previous architectural firm and we talked about the possibilities for development. There is no real reason to close or demolish the Main Stand and the Lower Anfield Road at least could be retained.

The Main Stand could be kept and a new tier built over the top with a new cantilevered roof in the same way the Upper Centenary was built over the old Kemlyn Road stand. There is a benefit in keeping the Main Stand as it has a high capacity for its size. It contains 12,200 in a smaller envelope than the Centenary with a capacity 500 less. There would be minimal if any loss of revenue. Personally I'd demolish the Upper Anfield Road tier and build out a new tier over the road. The other area for additional seating would be the corners where new premium seats could be added as for the final phase of the Westfalenstadion.

Major work could be carried out during the closed season and other disruptive work carried out between games. There are 25-35 home games a season depending on cup runs and mid week games are not during work hours.

The benefit is that by phasing - Main Stand one year, Anfield Road the next, there is an income stream from the first phase while the next is under construction. A new build means no income until construction is complete and the stadium is fitted out and commissioned.

Of course that's also all said with no detailed knowledge of the feasibility studies and business studies that have been carried out.

Also the 65,000 seater stadium would kick in additional travel and infrastructure costs.

Also can we try and keep this civil?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 07:24:25 pm »
The benefit is that by phasing - Main Stand one year, Anfield Road the next, there is an income stream from the first phase while the next is under construction. A new build means no income until construction is complete and the stadium is fitted out and commissioned.

I guess an option would also be to do as you said for the Main, and if keeping any of the Anny Rd was an issue move over the ST holders from there into the newly increased capacity Main Stand whilst it is demolished/rebuilt.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 07:44:06 pm »
I guess an option would also be to do as you said for the Main, and if keeping any of the Anny Rd was an issue move over the ST holders from there into the newly increased capacity Main Stand whilst it is demolished/rebuilt.

You could also take your time to build behind the Anfield Road End to full height and remove the old upper tier in the closed season. Nobody has to move for construction to take place.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:35:11 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 07:53:16 pm »
Reopened. I've deleted a couple of posts and removed the handbags from others. If anyone is not happy with my editing let me know and I'll delete them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:11:57 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2013, 11:58:08 am »
One line in the FT not good enough?

One line from the FT doesn't help much to be honest mate. There was some significant 'frontloading' (eg the catering facilities were paid for by the company who was going to run them in lieu of future profits, the Nike deal was frontloaded, the Emirates deal may have been so too). Been hashed out in some detail in the past on here - AST have done some interesting stuff in the past if you're in contact with them. But it was desperation, not choice. Arsenal's first choice was to find bank funding. The banks wouldn't do the full amount. It put the whole project in jeopardy. So the wheeze was to 'sell' the sponsorship at a long term discount to those willing to put the cash up. Which is why Arsenal are now, several years down the line, on about how flush they are with cash because they're now getting market rates again for their sponsorship deals.

What you're after to make a new stadium work for us, is a world record sponsorship deal for a new stadium. But you want it cash up front. Not happening. Just isn't. Never was. And if we mortgaged future sponsorships to a new stadium, you'd rightly be cursing the owners who did that if it ate into our ability to keep up with other teams in our league and across Europe, and that's what it would mean - a quick glance at the 'costs' of Arsenal's long term sponsorship deals (whether frontloaded or to secure bank loans as guaranteed income) demonstrates that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:08:10 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 06:24:20 pm »
There is a very important VIP at the ground tomorrow and from a very rich part of the world  8)
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 06:25:29 pm »
There is a very important VIP at the ground tomorrow and from a very rich part of the world  8)

Info released in two weeks?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »
Frodsham?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 1, 2013, 01:18:41 am »

What for? We're playing on Saturday, ffs!?!
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #50 on: October 1, 2013, 06:12:55 am »

After the Man City game, you know the drill.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 1, 2013, 07:49:34 am »

And?...  I'm sure there are important VIPs at the ground all the time. If you're saying there's a potential buyer or investor then say so or don't bother posting.

Thanks

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52 on: October 1, 2013, 10:31:43 am »

Everything happens in 2 weeks.  ::)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline AKABillyGee

• AKA Le Pétomane... hasn't read the rules
  • Main Stander
  • Being suspicious served me well
« Reply #53 on: October 1, 2013, 06:30:21 pm »

It's Christmas in about 12 weeks - and that is a much more reliable event.

Offline Easy

• Sunday Mornin Tiger
  • Kopite
« Reply #54 on: October 1, 2013, 10:15:12 pm »

A very important VIP? As in a very important very important person? A VIVIP? Cool.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 2, 2013, 08:54:32 pm »
A very important VIP? As in a very important very important person? A VIVIP? Cool.

Naming rights for Anfield? Yeah. Pretty cool. It all helps.

I imagine if any sponsors wanted full value , they keep 'Anfield' in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2013, 09:00:49 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #56 on: October 3, 2013, 08:16:07 am »
Itching for some news :) But then we have waited this long already

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: October 3, 2013, 10:57:25 am »

Henry is at the match"

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 3, 2013, 02:22:05 pm »
Henry is at the match"

What match? Palace game?
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 3, 2013, 05:11:13 pm »
What match? Palace game?

Aye, isn't that the VIP annieroader was on about?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #60 on: October 3, 2013, 05:14:39 pm »

No, he is on about someone from a very hot and (oil) rich country.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 3, 2013, 07:21:34 pm »
No, he is on about someone from a very hot and (oil) rich country.

They're all wellcome if for the good of the club..