Author Topic: Fixture congestion  (Read 3557 times)

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
Fixture congestion
« on: January 28, 2024, 09:04:37 pm »
As it stands, these are our remaining fixtures, providing that we go far in the FA Cup and in the Europa League, both of which seems likely (I've moved all games after the EL fixtures to Sundays, but exact dates don't really matter):

Jan 31 Chelsea (PL)
Feb 04 Arsenal (PL)
Feb 10 Burnley (PL)
Feb 17 Brentford (PL)
Feb 25 Chelsea (LC)
Feb 28 Watford/Southampton (FA Cup)
Mar 02 Forest (PL)
Mar 07 EL last 16
Mar 10 Man City (PL)
Mar 14 EL last 16
Mar 17 Everton (PL) or FA Cup QF
Mar 30 Brighton (PL)
Apr 03 Sheff Utd (PL)
Apr 06 Man Utd (PL)
Apr 11 EL QF
Apr 14 Palace (PL)
Apr 18 EL QF
Apr 21 Fulham (PL) or FA Cup SF
Apr 27 West Ham (PL)
May 02 EL SF
May 05 Spurs (PL)
May 09 EL SF
May 12 Villa (PL)
May 19 Wolves (PL)
May 22 EL Final
May 25 FA Cup Final

That would leave just two free midweeks near the end of the season (April 24 and May 15), which could accommodate the Everton and Fulham games if we reach the FA Cup semis. However, that would still leave the Luton game (postponed due to the League Cup final), which is not on this list at all. Seems to me the only sensible thing to do would be to move this game forward to one of the three free midweeks in February to avoid an even larger pileup later on. Anything else could leave us playing Saturday-Monday-Thursday-Sunday at some point like we had to do back in 2001. Having said that, that at least worked out well in the end. :)

Online Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fixture congestion
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 09:13:38 pm »
I would guess Luton will be after Brentford.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 09:29:23 pm »
We’ve been lucky with the FA cup draw again, home and lower league…so can play some more youngsters and rotate….

Online kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 10:23:25 pm »
having 5 subs really helps with the rest and rotation

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 10:33:12 pm »
Bring it the fuck on. I need to see more of these up and coming young players. Bradley, Quansah, McConnell today. Blowing my mind
Lots of games lots of opportunities, lots of fun ahead
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2024, 10:36:29 pm »
Imagine if you were Everton and your fixture list was as sparse as the hair on my head.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 10:37:05 pm »
The more times I get to see Jürgen manage us the better.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 10:38:23 pm »
Nice problem to have (potentially).

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 10:47:55 pm »
That's why squad depth is vital. A couple of decent draws in the FA cup and Europa League would help a lot.

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 10:52:04 pm »
That's why squad depth is vital. A couple of decent draws in the FA cup and Europa League would help a lot.

I think we will be away on Thursday before we play City at home.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 10:54:09 pm »
I think we will be away on Thursday before we play City at home.

Yes, we will, group winners play the second leg at home.

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 12:37:49 am »
As it stands, these are our remaining fixtures, providing that we go far in the FA Cup and in the Europa League, both of which seems likely (I've moved all games after the EL fixtures to Sundays, but exact dates don't really matter):

Jan 31 Chelsea (PL)
Feb 04 Arsenal (PL)
Feb 10 Burnley (PL)
Feb 17 Brentford (PL)
Feb 25 Chelsea (LC)
Mar 02 Forest (PL)
Mar 07 EL last 16
Mar 10 Man City (PL)
Mar 14 EL last 16
Mar 30 Brighton (PL)
Apr 03 Sheff Utd (PL)
Apr 06 Man Utd (PL)
Apr 11 EL QF
Apr 14 Palace (PL)
Apr 18 EL QF
Apr 27 West Ham (PL)
May 02 EL SF
May 05 Spurs (PL)
May 09 EL SF
May 12 Villa (PL)
May 19 Wolves (PL)
May 22 EL Final
May 25 FA Cup Final

That would leave just two free midweeks near the end of the season (April 24 and May 15), which could accommodate the Everton and Fulham games if we reach the FA Cup semis. However, that would still leave the Luton game (postponed due to the League Cup final), which is not on this list at all. Seems to me the only sensible thing to do would be to move this game forward to one of the three free midweeks in February to avoid an even larger pileup later on. Anything else could leave us playing Saturday-Monday-Thursday-Sunday at some point like we had to do back in 2001. Having said that, that at least worked out well in the end. :)
Don't forget the rearranged Spurs away game!?
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 3, 2024, 09:30:41 am »
21st Feb for Luton game
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #13 on: February 3, 2024, 09:36:41 am »
21st Feb for Luton game

So someone's been paying attention after all. ;)

I'd have preferred the week before, so we have the midweek before the Cup final free.

Online kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: February 3, 2024, 10:37:22 am »
we can pick 2 strong teams now

rest and rotation in full operation

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2024, 10:38:20 am »
Fixture congestion, it’s the sinus of the times.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #16 on: February 3, 2024, 10:40:10 am »
Hate that City play 2 more premier league games than us before we meet them and are therefore likely to be ahead on points with us having a game in hand, hopefully we win all our games and they slip up, unlikely as I reckon we will probably drop a couple tomorrow, a draw away to Arsenal would be decent.
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 3, 2024, 10:45:33 am »
21st Feb for Luton game
Not ideal but guess there's no other immediate spot?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 3, 2024, 10:45:59 am »
Hate that City play 2 more premier league games than us before we meet them and are therefore likely to be ahead on points with us having a game in hand, hopefully we win all our games and they slip up, unlikely as I reckon we will probably drop a couple tomorrow, a draw away to Arsenal would be decent.

They don't.
They've got 6 games (Brentford, Everton, Chelsea, Brentford, Bournemouth, Man United) we've got 5 (Arsenal, Burnley, Brentford, Luton, Forest). We'll have played the same amount of games. Their extra game is the Brentford game that was postponed from December.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 3, 2024, 10:51:10 am »
That's why a good squad is important.  None of that "we'll need to sell Bradley because he's too good to sit on the bench".

Having good options and versatile players is vital. Winning games early also helps.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #20 on: February 3, 2024, 11:12:12 am »

Jan 31 Chelsea (PL)
Feb 04 Arsenal (PL)
Feb 10 Burnley (PL)
Feb 17 Brentford (PL)
Feb 25 Chelsea (LC)
Mar 02 Forest (PL)
Mar 07 EL last 16
Mar 10 Man City (PL)
Mar 14 EL last 16
Mar 30 Brighton (PL)
Apr 03 Sheff Utd (PL)
Apr 06 Man Utd (PL)
Apr 11 EL QF
Apr 14 Palace (PL)
Apr 18 EL QF
Apr 27 West Ham (PL)
May 02 EL SF
May 05 Spurs (PL)
May 09 EL SF
May 12 Villa (PL)
May 19 Wolves (PL)
May 22 EL Final
May 25 FA Cup Final

Luton has been moved and there's just about enough free midweeks to fit the games in if we reach EL and FA Cup semis.

21/22 we reached the 3 finals but just about squeezed all the games in by playing twice a week.

The danger is if a game gets postponed for any reason (big weather event/Charlie snuffs his lid).
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #21 on: February 3, 2024, 11:16:39 am »
We’ve been lucky with the FA cup draw again, home and lower league…so can play some more youngsters and rotate….

Especially with it being midweek after the cup final (our last few League Cup finals have gone to extra time and pens).

We'll need to make a lot of changes for that. Plus no replay as well is an added bonus so it's decided on the night.

There's a good chance we'll make the EL and FA Cup semis. If we don't, it gives us more breathing space. Squad depth and keeping players fit and fresh is key.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 3, 2024, 11:35:02 am »
Copied this from my post in the TV fixtures thread, bit easier to read

04/02/2024 16:30 Arsenal (a) (AFCON / ASIAN CUP)
10/02/2024 15:00 Burnley (h) (AFCON / ASIAN CUP)
17/02/2024 12:30 Brentford (a)
21/02/2024 19:30 Luton (h)
25/02/2024 15:00 Chelsea (Wembley) League Cup Final
28/02/2024 20:00 FA CUP Round 5 - Watford/Southampton H
02/03/2024 15:00 Nottingham Forest (a)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07/03/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE ROUND OF 16 1st LEG
09/03/2024 15:00 Manchester City (h)
14/03/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE ROUND OF 16 2nd LEG
16/03/2024 15:00 Everton (a) or FA CUP Round QF
INTERNATIONAL BREAK
30/03/2024 15:00 Brighton (h)
03/04/2024 20:00 Sheffield United (h)
06/04/2024 15:00 Manchester United (a)
11/04/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 1st LEG
13/04/2024 15:00 Crystal Palace (h)
18/04/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 2nd LEG
20/04/2024 15:00 Fulham (a) or FA CUP Round SF
FREE MIDWEEK
27/04/2024 15:00 West Ham United (a)
02/05/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 1st LEG
04/05/2024 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur (h)
09/05/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 2nd LEG
11/05/2024 15:00 Aston Villa (a)
FREE MIDWEEK
19/05/2024 16:00 Wolverhampton (h)
22/05/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL
25/05/2024 15:00 FA CUP Final

Safe to be confident that we'll progress in the FA Cup, so Everton should definitely be moved.
That can only be played in the midweek between Fulham/FA Cup semi and West Ham, or the last midweek of the league season.

Wouldn't put it past Sky wanting the Merseyside derby during the last week.

In fact, now that I'm typing that out, imagine the scenario where we need to beat them at their ground to win the league and relegate them at the same time. Sweet mother of fuck  :lmao

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #23 on: February 3, 2024, 02:20:33 pm »
Safe to be confident that we'll progress in the FA Cup, so Everton should definitely be moved.
That can only be played in the midweek between Fulham/FA Cup semi and West Ham, or the last midweek of the league season.

Wouldn't put it past Sky wanting the Merseyside derby during the last week.

In fact, now that I'm typing that out, imagine the scenario where we need to beat them at their ground to win the league and relegate them at the same time. Sweet mother of fuck  :lmao

Can appreciate that being appealing, but at the point of that rescheduling taking place (if required), there'd still be the possibility of us progressing to the semi and the Fulham game itself being moved. Presumable it'd make sense to move these in order.

Even if it weren't the case that we progressed to an FA Cup semi, presumably the powers that be would want to keep that spare midweek in case of any other unforeseen postponements/abandonments.

Do the midweeks of the Europa League matches become available for rescheduled league matches, in the event of us progressing in the FA Cup but not the Europa, or are there some rules in place about UEFA scheduling not clashing with top-flight domestic fixtures?

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #24 on: February 3, 2024, 02:44:21 pm »
They don't.
They've got 6 games (Brentford, Everton, Chelsea, Brentford, Bournemouth, Man United) we've got 5 (Arsenal, Burnley, Brentford, Luton, Forest). We'll have played the same amount of games. Their extra game is the Brentford game that was postponed from December.

Didn't realise the Luton game had been allotted when I posted, probably perfect now aside from the lack of rest pre league cup final
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #25 on: February 3, 2024, 03:37:41 pm »
If we can get through the next two games with a clean bill of health, by the Brentford game, we'll have almost a full squad (barring Matip and Doak, and dependent on Mo's fitness since Endo will likely be available for the bench next weekend).

That enables the boss to do the serious rotation needed without a major quality drop-off. Under the boss, we've excelled in this latter part of the season most of the time due to his ability to change and motivate. Opposition teams tend to start fatiguing by March anyway too. This has all the makings of a wild ride, especially if we win tomorrow!

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 3, 2024, 03:56:21 pm »
This isn’t an issue as long as we stay fit enough. We can field 2 very strong 11s once Salah is back.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #27 on: February 5, 2024, 09:49:31 pm »
The danger is if a game gets postponed for any reason (big weather event/Charlie snuffs his lid).

Surely they can keep him going till the summer.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2024, 10:30:10 am »
18/04/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 2nd LEG
20/04/2024 15:00 Fulham (a) or FA CUP Round SF
FREE MIDWEEK
27/04/2024 15:00 West Ham United (a)

Guess what - Everton rescheduled for Wednesday the 24th, with West Ham moved to an early kickoff on Saturday the 27th.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2024, 10:50:58 am »
Confirmed ?

Everton is confirmed. West Ham isn't. That can move to Sunday at 2pm if Arsenal are scheduled to play the CL semi final on Tuesday

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2024, 10:52:14 am »
Guess what - Everton rescheduled for Wednesday the 24th, with West Ham moved to an early kickoff on Saturday the 27th.

They don’t even hide their hatred of us.

There’s been no 12.30 kick offs recently but might as well give us another.

There’s zero reason why West Ham can’t be on the Sunday too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2024, 10:53:10 am »
Everton is confirmed. West Ham isn't. That can move to Sunday at 2pm if Arsenal are scheduled to play the CL semi final on Tuesday

Why would it move if Arsenal are in the CL semi final ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2024, 10:55:58 am »
Why would it move if Arsenal are in the CL semi final ?

They've put Spurs v Arsenal on Sunday. If Arsenal have to play CL SF on Tuesday, that game will be moved to Saturday and ours to Sunday.

Could've just scheduled it like that to start with, but they don't give a fuck about fans.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2024, 10:57:48 am »
They've put Spurs v Arsenal on Sunday. If Arsenal have to play CL SF on Tuesday, that game will be moved to Saturday and ours to Sunday.

Could've just scheduled it like that to start with, but they don't give a fuck about fans.

Or Liverpool.

City play Saturday / Thursday  / Sunday.

Arsenal play Saturday / Tuesday / Sunday.

We play Sunday / Wednesday / Saturday.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:14:58 am by Nick110581 »

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2024, 02:42:36 pm »
Why didn’t we ask for the Everton game to be moved to GW36/37 midweek?

Problem now is that West Ham will have a free midweek before the play us, while we get kicked all night by Everton.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2024, 02:51:28 pm »
Why didn’t we ask for the Everton game to be moved to GW36/37 midweek?

Problem now is that West Ham will have a free midweek before the play us, while we get kicked all night by Everton.

The police, security etc would be like "not a fucking chance".

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2024, 03:29:34 pm »
The police, security etc would be like "not a fucking chance".

What difference does it make, both would be Wednesday night.
Seems odd we agreed to it.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2024, 03:57:24 pm »
What difference does it make, both would be Wednesday night.
Seems odd we agreed to it.

it's a massive difference, nothing will be decided on this date, the last midweek of the season could see us winning the league there or relegating them (or both), it was never going to be allowed, the game would get abandoned as soon as we scored.

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2024, 07:03:47 pm »
it's a massive difference, nothing will be decided on this date, the last midweek of the season could see us winning the league there or relegating them (or both), it was never going to be allowed, the game would get abandoned as soon as we scored.

Yes - I forgot about those scenarios. Good point.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2024, 09:34:22 pm »
So if we go through against Atalanta, the only midweek we will have free is the one before the final game of the season. The performance against Man Utd in the FA Cup was similar to some of the laboured performances we saw in April/May 2022. We desperately need the bulk of the squad to stay fit for the final stage of the season so we can rotate.

INTERNATIONAL BREAK
31/03/2024 14:00 Brighton (h)
04/04/2024 19:30 Sheffield United (h)
07/04/2024 15:30 Manchester United (a)
11/04/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 1st LEG vs Atalanta (h)
14/04/2024 14:00 Crystal Palace (h)
18/04/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 2nd LEG vs Atalanta (a)
21/04/2024 16:30 Fulham (a)
24/04/2024 20:00 Everton (a)
27/04/2024 12:30 West Ham United (a)
02/05/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 1st LEG
04/05/2024 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur (h)
09/05/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 2nd LEG
11/05/2024 15:00 Aston Villa (a)
19/05/2024 16:00 Wolverhampton (h)
22/05/2024 20:00 EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL

Credit to Barneylfc∗ for creating the original