Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3122924 times)

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #35160 on: August 7, 2022, 12:33:09 pm »
I hope we are working on something in the background regarding a midfielder. There is something not right in there regarding the balance when a couple get injured.
It's been talked to death but nothing has changed. Id be surprised if we sign anyone now as that would have probably been done early in the summer.
I could write and write on this subject but I think we are mostly all on the same page and hope something is going on in the background we all don't know about

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #35161 on: August 7, 2022, 12:49:00 pm »
So you wouldn't buy a midfielder this window?
And would you answer change if Thiago was out until the WC?
I'm asking because there seem to be quite a lot of explanations/arguments like this from people which don't really answer those questions

I’ve said before that I’d have bought a midfielder. But I honestly don’t see obvious candidate who is available.

It’s not necessarily my job to identify players though. So maybe there are lots of players out there better than what we have, available and affordable.

Tge question for me is not would any of us buy a midfielder. The question is why the club haven’t. Unless you are Pep Guardiola, it’s fair to say that Jurgen Klopp is a better football manager than me and you. Unless you are part of recruitment at an elite football club, the s it’s highly likely both of us don’t have the experience and knowledge of global football market - in terms of player skill sets, availability, fit within a squad etc.

On the basis that neither of us have any proven track record in football but can see a midfield gap at Liverpool, do you think it’s conceivable that one of the elite teams at squad building and recruitment have a blind spot around our midfield issues? If not, surely you’ve got to ask why we haven’t signed anyone yet? Is it complacency, funds. target availability, moving players on etc?

Like I said I’d buy a midfielder. If I can see that I’m sure the club can see the gap. There’s got to be reasons why we have bought.

My personal biggest criticism around midfield is how we’ve constructed our 1st 4 choices, and therefore added the need for more depth than others. Thiago and Keita are talented but unreliable fitness wise. We do t get enough bang for our buck. I said this last season so it’s not a knee jerk to yesterday. I also think Henderson and Fabinho have dropped off slightly in last 12 months. That might be due to workload/age. They had to play a lot of minutes last season due to Thiago and Keita only playing 4500 minutes combined.

I think there is an argument to have used this season as a transition season. Took a risk and  binned off at least 1 of Keita and/or Thiago. In addition, let Milner walk and Henderson play his role. Put faith in Jones and Elliott’s and put funds towards 2 young midfielders. Maybe that was the plan but Tchouameni went elsewhere and Bellingham wasn’t available.

It would have meant a season of transition and highly likely at least a season of not competing for PL. Would that have been a risk worth taking? I think we are in a hybrid situation where we want consistency from keeping the main players together. The investment in a succession plan is through playing time afforded to Jones and Elliott (and maybe others). This will be complemented with  key signings though only when the right player at the right price is available. I think most fans want a hybrid between the total revamp approach and our  current approach. Basically revamp choices 7 and 8 with players who can be 4-6th choice. The club don’t seem willing to do that though I suspect they would buy someone they viewed  could slot into being a regular starter when everyone is fit (e.g. Tchouameni). Rightly or wrongly I’m sure they are keen on spinning the wheel on a 40-50M player for better squad depth, when they are struggling to move on the 1 player they potentially view as expendable. Hence why no midfield move so far.

EDIT: realised I didn’t answer your Thiago question. I’d buy a midfielder if he’s out long term. I’m cognisant that it’s very, very easy for me to say that versus the reality of buying a new player. Therefore I’d be amazed if the club did buy anew midfielder based on a 3 month injury. They’d have bought that same target already if they thought they were capable of stepping in and playing regularly in our set up to replace Thiago.

« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 12:58:46 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35162 on: August 7, 2022, 12:49:26 pm »
I think how quickly a player settles in depends on the player profile, the player himself, the position and the balance of the team. Diaz made an immediate impact because of his skill and speed, and also allowed Mane to reinvent himself a bit and flourish upfront for us, and refreshed the attack as a whole.

If a midfielder comes in this window, I'd expect him to have both power and pace.

If Benitez were manager rather than Klopp, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matip or Gomez tried in the tackling midfielder role. Just from definition of the role and profile, they immediately fit the description if not experience.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35163 on: August 7, 2022, 01:06:06 pm »
Agree with your broader point that you don't necessarily need to replace AOC, partly given how little he plays since January AFCON and partly because he's often injured and has never been close to his physical best since his worst injury.

But I think I'd disagree with you here "arguably an argument that Klopp wouldn’t want the extra player to handle given its impact on squad balance/harmony". In our most recent half-year block we've seen Klopp comfortably manage this situation with AOC Minamino and Origi. And t hat was before we got Carvalho who covers all of AOC's positions too.

In the past we've seen him take Moreno out of the starting eleven for a whole season (before we even signed his replacement), and yet Klopp comfortably managed that situation, and then somehow managed to get a good tune out of Moreno in tandem with Robertson the next season.

I don't think Klopp would be a shrinking violet about having to handle AOC not playing for a full season. I know you say it's "difficult to know where [AOC] stands in Klopp’s thinking", but I just don't think AOC would be under similar illusions (whether it's now, or even last season). It's clear in actions that he's not someone we want to play very often, and it's clear from the clubs briefings that they want (presumably for his sake, too) to find him a club this summer. I think if Klopp were concerned about negative impact on squad harmony - particularly AOC, since other players have now left - if he signed a midfielder, then Carvalho would be back at Fulham on loan or somewhere else.

That’s fair though I think Klopp would not want a squad bigger last season. There’s also an argument t we carried 1 player more than planned after being pushed into signing Diaz in January. He’d have joined this summer if it went to plan.

OUT: Mane, Origi, Minamino, N.Williams

IN: Nunez, Carvalho, Diaz, Ramsey

I think if AOC goes we’d buy a new midfielder. I think that where the likes of a Nunes come in. Not a priority target at present but someone we’d happily move if if circumstances change. Maybe those circumstance may be injuries. I always thought of them as either Keita or AOC leaving.

Think the likes of Tchouameni and Bellingham are different. Players we’d actively chase and players we’d actively move players on to accommodate. I think these are the players we’ll wait for as well. Even if that means some short term pain.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35164 on: August 7, 2022, 01:11:10 pm »

Even if we don't add a new midfielder we have solutions. Why use Hendo further up when he is better playing deeper , unleash Carvalho. He is more than capable to start for us and offer exactly what we need.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35165 on: August 7, 2022, 01:22:11 pm »
Looking at the core of the team that started against Fulham the average age was 30.3.

Matip - 30(31 tomorrow)
VVD - 31
Fabinho - 28(29 in Oct)
Thiago -31
Henderson - 32
Firmino - 30(31 in Oct)

Obviously Konate and Darwin would bring that down but given the way we want to play. Pressing and counter pressing have we let our 'first choice core' get too old? No doubt they were bullied in the Fulham game and losing most duels. All out top 4 rivals seemingly have younger cores. It's hard to change a winning successful group and we've signed younger first team ready players (Nunez and Konate) but has the evolution been too slow? Elliot might become part of the 'core' as an established central midfielder but that a few years away.

It's worrying to hear about talks of a new contract for Keita. Keeping another player into his 30's and expecting the same level of output.

Klopp obviously has never been in this position. At Dortmund there was no decision to make. He lost great players once they got to a certain level was forced to bring in new faces.

If this injury crisis makes us go out and get a quality central midfielder between 23-26 y/o it might be a blessing.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #35166 on: August 7, 2022, 01:27:13 pm »
Christ, played one game and we're finished. Have a word some of you.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35167 on: August 7, 2022, 01:40:05 pm »

Dont think anyone is saying that to be fair.

I guess like Lobo says it depends how long Thiago is out.

If Hendo or Fab got injured now too we'd be struggling for a balanced midfield.

When the margins for error are so small its very risky.

My gut feeling is we are done in terms of signings and we might let one of SVB or Phillips go.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35168 on: August 7, 2022, 01:52:15 pm »
Looking at the core of the team that started against Fulham the average age was 30.3.

Matip - 30(31 tomorrow)
VVD - 31
Fabinho - 28(29 in Oct)
Thiago -31
Henderson - 32
Firmino - 30(31 in Oct)

Obviously Konate and Darwin would bring that down but given the way we want to play. Pressing and counter pressing have we let our 'first choice core' get too old? No doubt they were bullied in the Fulham game and losing most duels. All out top 4 rivals seemingly have younger cores. It's hard to change a winning successful group and we've signed younger first team ready players (Nunez and Konate) but has the evolution been too slow? Elliot might become part of the 'core' as an established central midfielder but that a few years away.

It's worrying to hear about talks of a new contract for Keita. Keeping another player into his 30's and expecting the same level of output.

Klopp obviously has never been in this position. At Dortmund there was no decision to make. He lost great players once they got to a certain level was forced to bring in new faces.

If this injury crisis makes us go out and get a quality central midfielder between 23-26 y/o it might be a blessing.

We were in an enviable situation where we bought brilliantly over a 2-3 year period. Most of those players were 24-26 and been cornerstones to our success.

In terms of a rebuild from that core we had 2 main options - 1) complete refresh over a couple of windows. Lots of players out, lot of players in. Try and do that process quickly but sacrifice some of year 29-31 year olds to finance rebuild 2) gradual refresh over 3-5 seasons. Gradually replace players as they reach early 30’s. We’d obviously keep some of the post 30 year olds to bridge across this period.

I think we’ve gone for a 2) type approach. Means we’ll have to juggle some key players as they potentially drop off their peak. But if we get this aspect and recruitment/youth development right we could stay competitive whilst transitioning. I don’t think we have a season like last season if we went for a full reboot of the squad.

Offline Kop Kings

• Kopite
« Reply #35169 on: August 7, 2022, 01:57:46 pm »

Don't think one person has said that, the debate as to whether we should buy a new midfielder seems to be pretty reasoned from both sides from what I'm seeing.

Lots of people have been saying we need a new midfielder all summer due to the age/contract situation/robustness of almost every midfielder we currently have. First game into the season and we are 4 midfielders down, so the debate has continued. Hardly like the result yesterday has caused a swarm of people to knee jerk and come onto this thread and say the sky is falling down.

We'll be fine either way, but trusting a bunch of aging and injury prone players to do the business over a 63 (?) game season with a gruelling World Cup in between (no matter their undoubted quality) may be the difference between having a good season and having a great one. I think that's essentially the crux of it, for me.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35170 on: August 7, 2022, 01:58:51 pm »

Matip - 30(31 tomorrow)
VVD - 31
Fabinho - 28(29 in Oct)
Thiago -31
Henderson - 32
Firmino - 30(31 in Oct)

31 isn't that old for a defender neither is 29 for a defensive midfielder. We just have to be refreshing the team gradually to retain the winning mentality but we've arguably been doing that with the likes of Ibou, Díaz, Núñez, Harvey...

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #35171 on: August 7, 2022, 02:08:41 pm »
31 isn't that old for a defender neither is 29 for a defensive midfielder. We just have to be refreshing the team gradually to retain the winning mentality but we've arguably been doing that with the likes of Ibou, Díaz, Núñez, Harvey...
We have done an excellent job of it in defense and attack. We haven’t in midfield. We needed Keita to become more reliable, Jones to step up, and we bought Thiago, rightfully so, when Wijnaldum left. We haven’t done enough though.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35172 on: August 7, 2022, 02:09:26 pm »

My argument is that when the team features six players aged 30 or older for the first time in almost 30 years perhaps that refreshing has been too glacier like. But i understand it. Breaking up a successful team is very very hard. We'd have probably kept Mane if he wanted to stay and have been even older.

Of course next season if you put in Konate, Nunez and maybe, possibly, hopefully, Bellingham in then the spine of the team looks a lot healthier.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35173 on: August 7, 2022, 02:18:35 pm »
My argument is that when the team features six players aged 30 or older for the first time in almost 30 years perhaps that refreshing has been too glacier-like. But I understand it. Breaking up a successful team is very very hard. We'd have probably kept Mane if he wanted to stay and have been even older.

Of course, next season if you put in Konate, Nunez and maybe, possibly, hopefully, Bellingham then the spine of the team looks a lot healthier.
Given how good our first 11 is, it's difficult to convince top players to sit on our bench. What we can do is to get young players with the world-class potential to come in and blood them.

When we eventually need to replace the top dogs, money is available because their performances have made us number 1 in terms of commercial income in England.

Age doesn't matter if they are still performing because we want to win NOW. Look at Madrid's team with 36-year-old Modric and 35-year-old Benzema. When our top players start getting on, we have the resources to replace them.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 02:21:46 pm by MonsLibpool »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35174 on: August 7, 2022, 02:28:54 pm »
Midfield looked old and stale yesterday but ironically we brought more mobility on by bringing on our oldest player.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35175 on: August 7, 2022, 02:32:46 pm »
Midfield looked old and stale yesterday but ironically we brought more mobility on by bringing on our oldest player.
I don’t know if that was concerning or not. Part of it was most likely due to Fulham dropping deep, but Henderson at the 6 with Milner and Elliott looked far better than our starting midfield.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35176 on: August 7, 2022, 02:37:23 pm »

Yeah, that was a pretty bad indictment on Fabinho and Henderson on the day - impact on either side of the game in Fabinho's case and composure in Hendo's

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35177 on: August 7, 2022, 02:41:06 pm »
Just a bad day in the office.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #35178 on: August 7, 2022, 02:43:48 pm »
I don’t know if that was concerning or not. Part of it was most likely due to Fulham dropping deep, but Henderson at the 6 with Milner and Elliott looked far better than our starting midfield.

Fab/Hendo/Thiago is our strongest midfield on paper but Thiago is 31, Henderson 32 and Fabinho 29 in a couple of months. There's very little pace among them. In a physical and fast and frenetic league like the PL that's not ideal. Not sure Fabinho and Henderson really works now in the same midfield. Not every week.

Ideally you'd maybe rotate Fabinho with Henderson, Thiago with Keita and Jones and then a new signing with Elliott and Carvalho. The Thiago injury (and lack of a signing) makes that impossible.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35179 on: August 7, 2022, 02:48:40 pm »
Sign Caicedo!

Hope he's one we're looking at, looks a quality player.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35180 on: August 7, 2022, 02:50:19 pm »
Fab/Hendo/Thiago is our strongest midfield on paper but Thiago is 31, Henderson 32 and Fabinho 29 in a couple of months. There's very little pace among them. In a physical and fast and frenetic league like the PL that's not ideal. Not sure Fabinho and Henderson really works now in the same midfield. Not every week.

Ideally you'd maybe rotate Fabinho with Henderson, Thiago with Keita and Jones and then a new signing with Elliott and Carvalho. The Thiago injury (and lack of a signing) makes that impossible.
I still think Thiago and Fabinho should still be part of strongest XI ™, not sure about Henderson though after seeing what Milner and Elliott brought to the midfield.

I’m curious about the situation with Elliott in particular. We were very keen to start him at the beginning of last season, perhaps because Thiago was injured.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #35181 on: August 7, 2022, 02:50:54 pm »

Matip - 30(31 tomorrow)
VVD - 31
Fabinho - 28(29 in Oct)
Thiago -31
Henderson - 32
Firmino - 30(31 in Oct)

Last season I was a bit worried by the age profile, but I thought LFC recruited well to  address that. Diaz for Mane, Nunez for Firmino, with Ellliott/Jota coming up behind for Salah. At the back, Gomez and Konate are good long term replacements for Matip and VVD.

But the middle has been a problem for a while: Henderson, Milner, Thiago are all 30+, while Fabinho and Chamberlain are/will be 29 this season. That's 5 players that are just past their peak, or about to, and will need to be slowly phased out over the next 2-3 seasons.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35182 on: August 7, 2022, 02:51:06 pm »
I still think Thiago and Fabinho should still be part of strongest XI ™, not sure about Henderson though after seeing what Milner and Elliott brought to the midfield.

I’m curious about the situation with Elliott in particular. We were very keen to start him at the beginning of last season, perhaps because Thiago was injured.
Elliott is a must as RCM imo.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35183 on: August 7, 2022, 02:55:33 pm »
Sign Caicedo!

I love you.

Caicedo.

Caicedo would be perfect. It's insane how good he is at such age.
https://youtu.be/3StAIfV36FA

Moisés Caicedo for example got the potential to be the next Kante, amazing young player but nobody is talking about him because he is playing for Brighton.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35184 on: August 7, 2022, 02:56:25 pm »

They're very effective together but it seems to nullify Henderson somewhat. With Thiago injured we'll have less chance to rotate Fabinho or Henderson anyway.

What we could really do with is 13/14 Henderson.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35185 on: August 7, 2022, 03:00:21 pm »
They're very effective together but it seems to nullify Henderson somewhat. With Thiago injured we'll have less chance to rotate Fabinho or Henderson anyway.

What we could really do with is 13/14 Henderson.
That’s the issue though. Henderson doesn’t seem to have the legs or technique to excel as an 8, so it’s either start him or Fabinho, then fill in the other 8 with Keita, Elliott, Jones, or Milner.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #35186 on: August 7, 2022, 03:01:58 pm »
Sign Caicedo!

Thankfully that’s not how we work anymore (and Brighton would take anyone to the cleaners for their players right now)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35187 on: August 7, 2022, 03:04:01 pm »
Thankfully that’s not how we work anymore (and Brighton would take anyone to the cleaners for their players right now)

It wasn't serious.

Not that I'd be surprised if he's on a list of players we'd look at, he was highly rated before he went to Brighton.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35188 on: August 7, 2022, 03:14:51 pm »
Just a bad day in the office.

It's but also it was clear we had issues at our midfield since last season. When we decided to play the right sided midfielder further up Fabinho didn’t look like the player he was before and his weakness showed. He is world class at interceptions but when teams beat our press his lack of pace didn't help him to recover.
Hendo didn’t look suited at all to playing an advanced role and looked way better playing deeper, Naby was better at playing this role and Harvey too before his injury. When Thiago wasn't available and we had to play Jones he didn't do well defensively.

Yes we challenged for everything but still we had issues at our midfield

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35189 on: August 7, 2022, 03:57:17 pm »
It's but also it was clear we had issues at our midfield since last season. When we decided to play the right sided midfielder further up Fabinho didn’t look like the player he was before and his weakness showed. He is world class at interceptions but when teams beat our press his lack of pace didn't help him to recover.
Hendo didn’t look suited at all to playing an advanced role and looked way better playing deeper, Naby was better at playing this role and Harvey too before his injury. When Thiago wasn't available and we had to play Jones he didn't do well defensively.

Yes we challenged for everything but still we had issues at our midfield

We still overcame these problems and nearly won the whole lot with the squad we had.

I get yesterday's result was frustrating but the club doesn't act in a kneejerk manner. It'll know who it wants and unless the injury to Thiago is long term we won't change our plans.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35190 on: August 7, 2022, 04:27:43 pm »
We still overcame these problems and nearly won the whole lot with the squad we had.

I get yesterday's result was frustrating but the club doesn't act in a kneejerk manner. It'll know who it wants and unless the injury to Thiago is long term we won't change our plans.

For 14 months people have been saying LFC neew to replace Wijnaldum. The point was made 2 transfer windows ago that LFC's midfield was old and lacked depth. Nothing has been done to address this, so people have been saying it repeatedly, that is needs to be a higher priority. When, game 1 of the new season one of the injury prone, older midfielders picks up an injury, it's not kneejerk to say "see, we really do need a midfielder, we should do it now, before the window closes, or we might end up needlessly dropping points until the January window opens."

Thing is, nobody is even arguing LFC needs a midfielder, everyone agrees LFC needs a new midfielder, the argument now is do we wait, or spend now, or both? So, no knee jerking at all, merely a revisiting of an ongoing debate.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #35191 on: August 7, 2022, 04:35:00 pm »
For 14 months people have been saying LFC neew to replace Wijnaldum. The point was made 2 transfer windows ago that LFC's midfield was old and lacked depth. Nothing has been done to address this, so people have been saying it repeatedly, that is needs to be a higher priority. When, game 1 of the new season one of the injury prone, older midfielders picks up an injury, it's not kneejerk to say "see, we really do need a midfielder, we should do it now, before the window closes, or we might end up needlessly dropping points until the January window opens."

Thing is, nobody is even arguing LFC needs a midfielder, everyone agrees LFC needs a new midfielder, the argument now is do we wait, or spend now, or both? So, no knee jerking at all, merely a revisiting of an ongoing debate.
We’ll need two over the next three windows with Ox and Milner likely going. Hendo will be 33 at the end of the season too. If we want Bellingham, great, but that doesn’t solve the issue. They will have surely identified a few because, as you say, it’s been the elephant in the room for a while now. If Bellingham comes in 2023 then fine, but another cheaper option should be found sooner.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2022, 04:36:40 pm by BobPaisley3 »
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #35192 on: August 7, 2022, 04:39:35 pm »

True, so why do you think the managers decided not to?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35193 on: August 7, 2022, 05:00:37 pm »

Replace Wijnaldum's minutes? Cause it's not ability.

We need a midfielder yes. If the person/s we want aren't available there's little the club can do about it.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35194 on: August 7, 2022, 05:04:42 pm »

We will, no doubt. Most of what we are saying comes from frustration because we have the best backline in the world with the best backups we will ever have. Attack is great too with good backups. It's just the midfield where you can't help but feel we can improve alot. Also having to be perfect because of City cheating doesn't help.

Offline DonkeyWan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35195 on: August 7, 2022, 05:18:36 pm »
Also having to be perfect because of City cheating doesn't help.

Really doesn't get said enough in this thread and elsewhere. External attitudes in the media that a near perfect Liverpool are somehow underperforming because petrodollar clubs make the difficulty levels ridiculous. In any other era Klopp would be winning 10 leagues in a row and be hailed as a genius. But because some shadey politicos want to use mercs to for PR branding of their shitty, authoritarian rule, we are subject to stupidity from media types going "ooooh, Liverpool, not quite good enough".

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #35196 on: August 7, 2022, 05:35:52 pm »

Matip - 30(31 tomorrow)
VVD - 31
Fabinho - 28(29 in Oct)
Thiago -31
Henderson - 32
Firmino - 30(31 in Oct)

When you look at it like that, five of our 10 outfielders yesterday being the best part of 31+ is a bit of a concern.

Hendo and Firmino can never play in those two roles together again in my view, they've both physically declined and are technically inconsistent and that's an absolute body blow to our possession game.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35197 on: August 7, 2022, 05:40:54 pm »
When you look at it like that, five of our 10 outfielders yesterday being the best part of 31+ is a bit of a concern.

Hendo and Firmino can never play in those two roles together again in my view, they've both physically declined and are technically inconsistent and that's an absolute body blow to our possession game.
I don't think it's that concerning, we've done a good job trying to transition from the 18/19+19/20 side in stages. Elliot, Nunez/Jota, konate/Gomez starting for 3 of them wouldn't be a surprise. If we had no younger, quality players it would be.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35198 on: August 7, 2022, 06:02:54 pm »
Really doesn't get said enough in this thread and elsewhere. External attitudes in the media that a near perfect Liverpool are somehow underperforming because petrodollar clubs make the difficulty levels ridiculous. In any other era Klopp would be winning 10 leagues in a row and be hailed as a genius. But because some shadey politicos want to use mercs to for PR branding of their shitty, authoritarian rule, we are subject to stupidity from media types going "ooooh, Liverpool, not quite good enough".

It's the main issue. We can't have a single weakness if we want to win the league this season. Being really good doesn't cut it, we have to be perfect.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35199 on: August 7, 2022, 06:10:57 pm »
I don't think it's that concerning, we've done a good job trying to transition from the 18/19+19/20 side in stages. Elliot, Nunez/Jota, konate/Gomez starting for 3 of them wouldn't be a surprise. If we had no younger, quality players it would be.

We have but it feels like we now need to get Konate/Gomez, Elliott/Jones and Nunez/Jota in there as first choice with the likes of Matip, Henderson and Firmino being the supporting acts. We looked pretty stale yesterday.