Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1076729 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #5200 on: September 20, 2021, 05:09:25 pm »
I'm not sure that's the only reason why we are doing so well with set plays this year.  We are creating double the number of shots from set plays as the highest in the history of the Premier league.  That's not down to just VVD/Matip being back.

I already posted the quote from the assistant manager of Liverpool FC about something they are doing different with their work on set pieces, which evey fucker seems to have ignored :lmao

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5201 on: September 20, 2021, 09:27:12 pm »
Kloppo was quick to give a mention and credit to Pete Krawietz and his team after Saturday’s game for their set piece  work.

Also Pep Lijnders’ said this during pre-season:

One of our ideas, for example, was to improve the delivery in our set-pieces. Direct free-kicks, wide free-kicks, penalties and corners. We met Niklas and Patrick from Neuro11 three years ago. We wanted to work together, everything was ready, but the pandemic made it impossible. Jürgen and I really believe in these two guys and their concept. We believe in the stimulus they give. Hopefully we can give consistency to this part. With the away goal rule cancelled there will be, for example, many more penalty shootouts. We saw in the Euros, and indeed in the history of tournaments, that set-pieces decide. It was always like this, and will always stay like this. With Patrick and Niklas, we give a completely new impulse to accuracy training. Will it pay off? I’m hopeful it will.

Don't worry mate i seen it :D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5202 on: September 20, 2021, 09:35:32 pm »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5203 on: September 20, 2021, 10:14:47 pm »
We've scored 5 goals from corners this year.  None have been headed directly in. 

The 3 from the Palace game, Hendo in the Milan game, Fab against Leeds, and Salah against Norwich.  All of the goals came in the 2nd phase of the corner.  We've somehow worked out where players need to be to take advantage of the disorganization after the initial ball played in.  I'm guessing they've figured out, using data somehow, where the ball is likely to end up based on where the corner is hit.  Having players who are so good at hitting these corners is clearly a massive reason why we are able to do what we're doing. 

I think that is a bit of a stretch to be honest.

Three of those goals have been unreal hits from the edge of the area. The other two were the keeper pushing out a Salah header to Mane and a VVD header ricocheting of a defender and falling to Mo.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5204 on: September 20, 2021, 10:56:31 pm »
But it's helping us more than not having them. they're a major threat, or at least a distraction to the opposition.

We've been able to do this in the past, scoring in the 2nd phase following set pieces in 18/19 and 19/20. I'm sure we've improved on it, but having them back has helped.

Virgil and Matip attract a lot of defenders at corners as teams rightly see them as a threat.

That leaves Mo, Mane, Jota, Bobby etc marked by players who probably don't excel in the defensive side of play. It helps that these players are good in the air and are opportunistic in the box.

I think in 18-19 and 19-20 also we were one of the best teams in Europe when it came to set-pieces.

https://theathletic.com/1542167/2020/01/20/liverpool-united-van-dijk-goal-set-pieces/

So I think being prolific from them again is kinda expected. We have many players that are good in the air, and we put a lot of work into it on the training ground.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5205 on: September 20, 2021, 11:35:00 pm »
Saw this on LFC Reddit.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5206 on: September 21, 2021, 06:33:16 am »
Yes that’s similar to JP’s post last night. We are very effective indeed!

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=349132.msg17958842#msg17958842

Also Analysing Anfield were underlining that against AC Milan, in the opening 15 minute spell, we blew full 90 minute totals out of the water with 13 shots - one every 69 seconds.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 06:49:38 am by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5207 on: September 21, 2021, 07:02:09 am »
I already posted the quote from the assistant manager of Liverpool FC about something they are doing different with their work on set pieces, which evey fucker seems to have ignored :lmao

Sssh. Oppo managers check this thread for ideas .

I'm sure we will have added more patterns and triggers to set pieces. Be interesting to see how long it takes other teams to figure out how to negate them.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5208 on: September 21, 2021, 08:23:52 am »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5209 on: September 23, 2021, 07:52:38 pm »
It's definitely a thing. I suppose embracing the chaos and hitting space is part of it but it's interesting to think of whether you can bake in habits on this one...

Aaanyway we are doing something.

From @distancecovered on Twitter.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5210 on: September 23, 2021, 10:38:09 pm »
Partly that's down to more set pieces, which in turn is a consequence of the return of us tightening the screw on opponents in a way we couldn't do at points last season given injury problems.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5211 on: September 23, 2021, 11:50:03 pm »
Partly that's down to more set pieces, which in turn is a consequence of the return of us tightening the screw on opponents in a way we couldn't do at points last season given injury problems.

It is also that, but it's not just that.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #5212 on: September 24, 2021, 12:10:23 am »
I say its all Matip. Prem wholly unprepared for The Giraffe. Everybody's mind is just blown by 15 mins into the game and then they cant defend anything after that because being forced to become Matip-Centric and doing whatever the manager told them to do about Virgil and the front 3 clash horribly in execution.

Rampaging giraffe kicking its legs man, not to be fucked with. 

It is known.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #5213 on: September 24, 2021, 11:43:07 am »
If you'll excuse a little self-promotion, I wrote a piece on Liverpool's set pieces yesterday for liverpool.com which you might like...

When it comes to set pieces, Liverpool have started the 2021/22 season on fire.

In their opening seven games in all competitions, the Reds have netted seven goals from dead ball situations. In 2020/21, they scored their eighth set piece goal in match number 23, then went 26 games without adding another. If Liverpool can score two at any point in their next 42 games, then they’ll be up on where they finished last season.

Five of the goals in question have been scored in the league. Mohamed Salah got one at Norwich, Fabinho bagged himself a rare goal when the Reds were at Elland Road, and all three strikes against Crystal Palace last weekend originated from corners. Look around the top five leagues in Europe and you’ll find that only Ligue 1 side Montpellier, with seven, have scored more set piece goals this term.

And history shows just how important they can be to Liverpool. Since 2009/10, there have been three league campaigns in which the Reds found the net at least 17 times from set plays: 2013/14 (their 26 goals that season remains a Premier League record for this period), 2018/19 and 2019/20. Any Kopite reading this won’t need reminding that these were the three seasons in the last 12 in which their team either made a serious tilt for the title or went all the way.

However, while Liverpool going at a dead ball goal per game is encouraging based on their record from years gone by, there has been one unusual aspect to the goals, in that very few of them have been assisted.

If you try to visualise a set piece in your mind’s eye, you invariably picture a corner coming into the box and somebody (most likely Virgil van Dijk) heading the ball into the back of the net.

Yet none of the Reds’ seven goals from corners in 2021/22 have been scored in this fashion, with only two having an assist — Salah against Crystal Palace after Van Dijk won the first ball, and Takumi Minamino at Norwich when Divock Origi did likewise.

What makes this worthy of closer investigation is that Liverpool have scored 29 set piece league goals across the last two seasons, but only one in each of those campaigns was unassisted (if we ignore direct free-kick goals).

The only one in their title winning campaign of 2019/20 was the decisive goal scored by Roberto Firmino at Selhurst Park. Fabinho’s goal at Leeds earlier this month was broadly similar, in that in both cases a Brazilian Red was on hand to prod home a loose ball from no more than six yards out following a corner.

It’s the unassisted set piece goal from 2020/21 which is more interesting, though, and we must look back to the glorious season which preceded it to discover the reason why.

In the summer of 2020, I conducted a review of the multiple unrewarded penalty claims which the Reds had endured on their way to Premier League glory, in an article for The Tomkins Times .

As a Liverpool supporter assessing potential Liverpool penalty awards, it was naturally hard to be objective. One thing which was very clear though was that far more should have been given in set piece situations.

Multiple opposing players were assigned to Van Dijk (and Joël Matip when he played), with the aim of ensuring the towering centre-back was unable to connect cleanly with the ball. That they often did so using unfair means didn’t seem to matter in the least, as the Reds were not awarded a single penalty for set piece infringement in 2019/20.

It’s reasonable to assume this won’t have gone unnoticed by the club. There was an excellent example of the issue in Liverpool’s 1-0 win at Norwich in February 2020. Though the corner delivery wouldn’t have reached Van Dijk, he was being held by one defender while Teemu Pukki also blocked his path towards goal.

Take a look at where Fabinho recovered the ball after it was cleared in the above situation.

Liverpool’s number three demonstrated his long-range shooting ability with fine strikes against Manchester City and Crystal Palace that season, but he was unlikely to be scoring from there with the majority of the home side between him and the goal.

Skip forward seven months and we get to the opening game of 2020/21. We also get the only unassisted set piece goal which the Reds scored in the whole league campaign. This time the ball is on its way to Van Dijk, but there are three players holding or blocking him. Fortunately, the ball breaks to Salah while everyone is preoccupied with the Dutchman, and he lashes home a fine goal.

Let’s take a look at the freeze-frame of the challenge on Van Dijk and compare it with the above example from Carrow Road. Salah is in broadly the same position but other players are far closer to the edge of the box for Leeds than they were against Norwich. This may be due to the former being a corner and the latter a set piece free-kick situation, but the difference is worth noting nonetheless.

Now let’s consider some of the set piece goals from this season. At Norwich, Kostas Tsimikas’ corner was aimed towards Van Dijk but the ball came out to Salah who did what he does best, and scored. In the Champions League win over Milan, Trent Alexander-Arnold’s corner was cleared by Ismaël Bennacer, only for Jordan Henderson to fire the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal from inside the ‘D’ on the edge of the area.

Sadio Mané’s set piece goal against Crystal Palace occurred when he reacted first following a save by Vicente Guaita, but Naby Keïta’s was a strike from distance after the Eagles’ goalkeeper had punched a corner clear.

Salah at Norwich, Henderson versus Milan and Keïta against Crystal Palace; set piece goals with no official assist which were struck from 17, 20 and 19 yards out respectively (per FBRef). And none of them a world away from Salah’s Anfield goal against Leeds last season (which was hit from 15 yards since you’re no doubt wondering).

Did Liverpool look at their lack of penalties from set pieces in 2019/20 and decide they needed to focus upon the second balls, only for Van Dijk to suffer a season ending injury before the plan had been put into regular use last season? This may be joining dots that don’t belong together, but neither does it seem an entirely fanciful notion. And only the staff at the club will know how deliberate it is, but this way of exploiting set pieces is certainly working for the Reds at the moment.

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/virgil-van-dijk-liverpool-threat-21653599

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5214 on: September 25, 2021, 08:48:17 am »
Excellent that senor :)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5215 on: September 25, 2021, 09:02:50 am »
I’d hazard a guess it’s deliberate: the small gains policy in action.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #5216 on: September 25, 2021, 01:58:48 pm »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5217 on: September 26, 2021, 08:03:20 am »
Wonder if we'll experiment a bit more with 3 at the back, either a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3. I get it's not easy to just switch formations. But having it as a backup won't hurt, given we have 5 CBs now and midfielders constantly picking up niggles
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #5218 on: September 26, 2021, 08:47:01 am »
Wonder if we'll experiment a bit more with 3 at the back, either a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3. I get it's not easy to just switch formations. But having it as a backup won't hurt, given we have 5 CBs now and midfielders constantly picking up niggles
I think with all our 4 forwards available Klopp tends to go with 4231 which also addresses our lack of midfielders at the same time.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #5219 on: September 26, 2021, 08:50:11 am »
Alluded to this in the match thread. Would certainly make us less vulnerable at the back stick against teams that endlessly chuck crosses in.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5220 on: September 27, 2021, 03:41:04 pm »
I think with all our 4 forwards available Klopp tends to go with 4231 which also addresses our lack of midfielders at the same time.

Given we're clearly prioritising attack/goals this year, I'd go with something like this:

----------Alisson----------

TAA-Matip-VVD-Robertson

----Henderson--Fabinho----

-Salah--Firmino--Mane-

----------Jota-----------

Room for the front four to rotate and I think Firmino's pressing, link up ability and tactical awareness means he'll be able to play the 10 or at the tip of a diamond if one of Salah/Mane drop a little.

Looks like round pegs in round holes and offers a great deal of flexibility in terms of tactics and personnel.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5221 on: September 27, 2021, 03:48:29 pm »
Alluded to this in the match thread. Would certainly make us less vulnerable at the back stick against teams that endlessly chuck crosses in.

There isn't enough time to work on a system change like that during the season. If we were to use it, we would have had to worked on it during pre-season.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5222 on: September 27, 2021, 08:17:01 pm »
Given we're clearly prioritising attack/goals this year, I'd go with something like this:

----------Alisson----------

TAA-Matip-VVD-Robertson

----Henderson--Fabinho----

-Salah--Firmino--Mane-

----------Jota-----------

Room for the front four to rotate and I think Firmino's pressing, link up ability and tactical awareness means he'll be able to play the 10 or at the tip of a diamond if one of Salah/Mane drop a little.

Looks like round pegs in round holes and offers a great deal of flexibility in terms of tactics and personnel.

That would work if Hendo wasn't awful in a  midfield two

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #5223 on: October 3, 2021, 10:22:03 pm »
https://twitter.com/DistanceCovered/status/1444733094968299520?s=20

Everybody should watch this.  I think this doesn't get covered enough in that Klopp uses analytics but he distills it down to the easiest digestible form for the players and others.  He's just an amazing, amazing communicator as his own thread consistently highlights.  He was also using xG the other week in talking about Mane but he framed it as "opportunities".

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5224 on: October 4, 2021, 03:31:17 pm »
It's been nice to see it highlighted. It reminded me of Ferguson circa 2007 (I think) after a loss at Anfield saying his team hadn't been brave enough on the ball or looked to penetrate with their passing - Klopp's side is penned in and he's actively annoyed because they're not taking enough risk. Gotta love what the man stands for in his game - fair to say the other manager adopted a similar approach to things yesterday. Like a fencing match between two high wire walkers. :)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #5225 on: October 12, 2021, 09:32:34 am »
Enjoyed the Simon Hughes' (The Athletic) interview with Achterberg, going through the changes he's seen over the past decade and more at the club, and then Lijnders wandering in and joining the interview.

Pep, from the interview, “We’ve evolved this year, it’s up to you guys (as journalists), as well as City, Chelsea and United, to figure out what we’ve done! It is true that sometimes you find big puzzle pieces like Ali (first-choice goalkeeper Alisson Becker) or Virgil (van Dijk) who come in and make us better immediately. Our job is to ensure they keep improving.”

https://theathletic.com/2876719/2021/10/12/achterberg-and-lijnders-weve-got-special-players-at-a-special-club-our-job-is-to-ensure-they-keep-improving/
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5226 on: October 12, 2021, 09:58:21 am »
Very little danger that the majority of journalists or Utd figure anything out about what we've done.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5227 on: October 12, 2021, 01:30:38 pm »
Enjoyed the Simon Hughes' (The Athletic) interview with Achterberg, going through the changes he's seen over the past decade and more at the club, and then Lijnders wandering in and joining the interview.

Pep, from the interview, “We’ve evolved this year, it’s up to you guys (as journalists), as well as City, Chelsea and United, to figure out what we’ve done! It is true that sometimes you find big puzzle pieces like Ali (first-choice goalkeeper Alisson Becker) or Virgil (van Dijk) who come in and make us better immediately. Our job is to ensure they keep improving.”

https://theathletic.com/2876719/2021/10/12/achterberg-and-lijnders-weve-got-special-players-at-a-special-club-our-job-is-to-ensure-they-keep-improving/

"...and then Lijnders wandering in and joining the interview."

Not at all hard to imagine that from Pep... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #5228 on: October 17, 2021, 09:45:34 pm »
Currently are attacking as well as we ever have under Klopp:

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5229 on: October 17, 2021, 10:25:57 pm »
Obviously Klopp is boss but on this one it really helps when you've got a forward like Salah doing insane things.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5230 on: October 18, 2021, 05:06:12 pm »
Latest press conf from Klopp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWQD7AuYThc

Very interesting:

10:15 -

"We didn't know exactly what kind of football we wanted to play until we had the players together.. but there was always a basic idea"
Exaclty as what it appears like. When Jurgen came in, we persisted with the type of Football, Brendan had instituted, ut obviously with the high press. Then we gradually changed our style of play as we acquired players.

It seems a bit chicken-and-egg because how do you recruite players without knowing what roles they are to play- unless you're recruiting with that "basic idea" in mind?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5231 on: October 18, 2021, 05:09:03 pm »
Klopp originally tried his 4231 he used with Dortmund when he arrived, but it never really clicked.  Think they just looked at the players we had at our disposal and the way football was moving away from number 10s and switched to the 433.

This is what did for Origi.  He looked a much better player in the 4231 but there's no place for him in the 433, he doesn't have the subtleties needed for playing that false 9 role and just isn't an inside forward.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #5232 on: October 18, 2021, 05:43:04 pm »
Obviously Klopp is boss but on this one it really helps when you've got a forward like Salah doing insane things.

Actually from an xG perspective Salah is humming along at about his usual which is ~.5xG per 90.  The whole team is just producing more with Bobby and Mane having either an insane hot streak to start the season or a career renaissance.  Trent is also playing out of his mind right now, might be the best offensive form of his career so far even if the Assist total isn't being lit up.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5233 on: October 19, 2021, 08:15:02 am »
Actually from an xG perspective Salah is humming along at about his usual which is ~.5xG per 90.  The whole team is just producing more with Bobby and Mane having either an insane hot streak to start the season or a career renaissance.  Trent is also playing out of his mind right now, might be the best offensive form of his career so far even if the Assist total isn't being lit up.

Ah interesting. Thanks.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5234 on: October 19, 2021, 09:54:34 am »
Latest press conf from Klopp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWQD7AuYThc

Very interesting:

10:15 -

"We didn't know exactly what kind of football we wanted to play until we had the players together.. but there was always a basic idea"
Exaclty as what it appears like. When Jurgen came in, we persisted with the type of Football, Brendan had instituted, ut obviously with the high press. Then we gradually changed our style of play as we acquired players.

It seems a bit chicken-and-egg because how do you recruite players without knowing what roles they are to play- unless you're recruiting with that "basic idea" in mind?

It's massively interesting isn't it? Comes back to PoP's thing of principles of play being the only fixed thing, and the idea that Klopp has no real fixed system in mind and never did, even at Mainz or Dortmund - he's just learned to get the most out of the group in various ways. Really interesting the whole team building thing isn't it?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5235 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03:25 am »
It's massively interesting isn't it? Comes back to PoP's thing of principles of play being the only fixed thing, and the idea that Klopp has no real fixed system in mind and never did, even at Mainz or Dortmund - he's just learned to get the most out of the group in various ways. Really interesting the whole team building thing isn't it?
I would say Klopp probably has an Ideal formation with each player having a role which is probably the 4231 he ran before but roles matter more so being flexible in the setup helps. Liverpool FC owners want success and have hired the people in the scouting and recruitment department who are good at looking for players at the top level. Klopp had a lot of Success in Germany and uses basic principals to make great teams. Klopp also is somebody is who is not a set in stone on doing one way, and is very open minded on using whatever little advantage from small stuff(Like set pieces, throws in, Medical team)
The biggest move after getting Klopp imo has been moving on from Buvac to making Pep Lijnders in to move the team on the field from a team that very good at being a High level 2 football club to a high level 3. After the change  the next season Liverpool barring the massive injury Crisis has played over 90 points a year football even if they probably still didnt have all the pieces.
All the types of players of players have brought in under Klopp have fit into what he used before. When Lijnders came back to Liverpool(he was brought in to the club before Klopp was somebody in management level valued what he brought even at the time it was just for the youth team) the top thing they wanted to upgrade was Midfield, Fabinho was brought in. Alisson was also brought in the same summer. Keita arrived full time, Ox was out. Jones started bring though.
One of the first thing that brought in after Klopp came in was to upgrade the forward line, Mane was brought then Salah. Mane might have been brought to be the striker role but wasn't elite in the role so getting Salah who underlying numbers looked like get more shots he an elite goal scorer helped move mane to a role where he be Elite in.
Which with even issues in MF and Defend having Goals where you can outperform what your expected to score. Getting Virgil Helped fix the defense, Alisson helped allow the defense to overperform what was expect to allow.
MF Getting Fabinho allowed to have somebody to cover zone 14, Gini was good in his role but the lack true creative types was still hurting. Keita,Ox was supposed to help fix that but inability to stay fit has hurt, Jones coming though has helped but he not fully there, Elliott brought and coming though also but he had an Injury also. Signing Thiago was like signing Gini replacement a year a head.
Klopp at Dortmund had fullbacks who provided the width and creative, finding Robertson was very good to help solve one side, and moving Trent to RB helped solve the other.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5236 on: October 19, 2021, 11:18:27 am »
The TAW discussion was good yesterday on this - it contrasted Aly Cissokho in 2013/14 and the Wan Bissaka effect Man Utd are suffering from now (funnel the ball to him and he won't know what to do with it) with the full squad now, with every player fully comfortable with the ball, and with making decisions within the structure they're habituated to. Obviously it depends on certain players expanding the capabilities (we miss Virgil when he's not there, we miss Trent when he's not there, and so forth), but as a baseline we have a foundation level of 'extraordinarily good' - last season proved it.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5237 on: October 19, 2021, 12:02:17 pm »
The TAW discussion was good yesterday on this - it contrasted Aly Cissokho in 2013/14 and the Wan Bissaka effect Man Utd are suffering from now (funnel the ball to him and he won't know what to do with it) with the full squad now, with every player fully comfortable with the ball, and with making decisions within the structure they're habituated to. Obviously it depends on certain players expanding the capabilities (we miss Virgil when he's not there, we miss Trent when he's not there, and so forth), but as a baseline we have a foundation level of 'extraordinarily good' - last season proved it.

Agree with this. I thought it was a similar issue in 2015-2017 with Clyne at right back and, to a lesser degree, Milner and Moreno at left back during that period. The emergence of TAA and the signing of Robertson has made a massive difference in that regard. As did the addition of pace and increased goal threat in the front 3 - with Mane and Salah. It made oppositions think who they wanted to cover. They was little way of funnelling the ball to some who is offensively weak. I think the next iteration of this is someone like Elliott in midfield. Ideally we don't subtract from the midfield in teams of discipline and work rate but add increased creativity and goal threat. Make that goal threat seem like it's coming from every angle on the pitch.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5238 on: October 19, 2021, 01:06:15 pm »
Agree with this. I thought it was a similar issue in 2015-2017 with Clyne at right back and, to a lesser degree, Milner and Moreno at left back during that period. The emergence of TAA and the signing of Robertson has made a massive difference in that regard. As did the addition of pace and increased goal threat in the front 3 - with Mane and Salah. It made oppositions think who they wanted to cover. They was little way of funnelling the ball to some who is offensively weak. I think the next iteration of this is someone like Elliott in midfield. Ideally we don't subtract from the midfield in teams of discipline and work rate but add increased creativity and goal threat. Make that goal threat seem like it's coming from every angle on the pitch.
There's no reason for creativity to be situated within a group that is mutually exclusive from work rate - only if an ego believes it is above the basics and I can't see Klopp favouring Elliott as much as he did if he thought he would become spoilt by the attention. The idea of the goal threat coming from every angle and in every moment is the apogee of a Klopp team. The opposition unable to relax for a moment. Corner? Quickly taken. Obvious penalties ignored? Exploit the situation. - It's all building to that.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5239 on: October 22, 2021, 11:10:48 am »
Four years to the day since that 4-1 defeat at Wembley against Spurs. Very much a turning point in Klopp's reign. Since that game, we've lost 4 league games infront of fans in 4 years.