Author Topic: Glen Johnson...  (Read 100941 times)

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Glen Johnson...
« Reply #40 on: November 3, 2010, 10:09:21 am »
Is this not more of an argument against the likes of Lucas and Poulsen?? If so I agree. Decent players but thats not enough. Stevie in the centre for EVERY game is the only solution. We desperately lack class at CM which invites so many problems. When Stevie dropped to CM against Bolton and Ngog came on we moved 10 years up the pitch, held onto the ball, gave Fernando some support and scored the goal. We looked dangerous. I think if we added some width from Johnson at right mid (Cole kinda drifting left/centre) we would have found it even earier to stretch them and others.

We need to get back to basics. Pace, width and control in the right areas of the pitch.

Back to basics eh Liam? Where have I heard that before? ::) ;)

Gerrard should not be dropped back to CM - as shown against bolton and several hundred other games (his rather frequent good backpasses) he is a liability, gives the ball away time and time again, and the further back towards our goal he is when this happens, the worse it will get. So keep him where he is please. Ignore what Andy Gray tells you. He doesn't know shit from sandwiches.

Johnson is boss, can't wait for him to be back.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #41 on: November 3, 2010, 10:12:56 am »
Can't run a line, his concentration is appalling and on the whole his defencive game is far to hit and miss to be considered nothing more than a liability there.

Going forward, a totally different player. But shouldn't defenders do what it says on the tin first and foremost?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 3, 2010, 10:59:38 am »
Would not be as good at right midfield. The reason he is so good going forward is because he is coming from deep and joining attacks late, making him harder to pick up. And he isnt as bad as some make out defensively. Him and Dirk on the right hand side is a lovely combination and one I am looking forward to see again soon.

You certainly wont see him get roasted like Maicon did last night.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #43 on: November 3, 2010, 11:00:17 am »
Johnson is not as quick as Bale. It's Bale's lightning pace that destroyed Maicon last night.

All this stuff about Johnson being a poor defender... it looks to me more that he's often caught out of position on his own flank, but actually does a lot of useful covering for the centre backs when the ball comes in from the other side. He can defend. So why does he often look weak there?

It's this thing about being out of position. The thing is, an attacking fullback such as Johnson can't just play that role without the rest of the team being set up to support it. He badly misses Mascherano's mobility to get across and snuff out the danger behind him. And he's more effective with Kuyt in front of him, because Kuyt will get back and swap places with him when he needs to. He could do with a quicker, more mobile right-sided centre half to help him (and vice versa).

Thinking of all the flak Johnson gets (unfair flak, in my view), I watched Ashley Cole in Chelsea's last game. There's just not that big a difference between Cole and Johnson. Cole was also found stranded plenty of times forwards of the ball, but nothing came of it. That's because he is playing for Chelsea, who are in great form and are a side full of really athletic players, and of course Chelsea were the club who wanted to buy Johnson back when he came to us instead.

I like Johnson. H'es one of our classiest players. He needs the rest of the buggers to work with and for him. He'll look great when Liverpool as a whole get better.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #44 on: November 3, 2010, 11:08:48 am »

Are you fishing?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: November 3, 2010, 12:10:36 pm »
Would not be as good at right midfield. The reason he is so good going forward is because he is coming from deep and joining attacks late, making him harder to pick up. And he isnt as bad as some make out defensively. Him and Dirk on the right hand side is a lovely combination and one I am looking forward to see again soon.

The Roberto Carlos comments that have been posted on here recently play a part in why i think the same as this about the whole Johnson at RM instead of RB thing. Its not as simple as your better at attacking so play RM and you'll be great, alot of fullbacks enjoy having alot of space to run into and being able to use the winger ahead of them to aid their advances into the final third. People seem to look at it way too simplisticly and the two positions arent as similar as some seem to think.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 3, 2010, 12:14:06 pm »
world class player.

the most under-rated in our current team

How wrong is this? He's an average player, always has been.

We do overrate some of our players to ridiculous heights.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #47 on: November 3, 2010, 12:32:44 pm »

Current England international, highly rated by lots of good coaches including Capello.
Looked great when he joined us. Needs his confidence back and some support.
We do slag off our own players to ridiculous depths.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #48 on: November 3, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »

check my post history, I am mostly on the same boat as you asking people not to over-rated some of our players

BUT
he is not average.

he is a special player, very unique, there are about 4-5 players with Johnson's ability as RB that can contribute as much in attack, so it's not a type of player you can find everywhere.

special players aren't average. Pepe is special, Torres is special, Gerrard is special....Glen might not be as special as them, but he is the first person in the 2nd tier of our players after the big 3.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 3, 2010, 01:09:23 pm »
A good player playing in a retarded system.
Much the same could be said about Torres.

Offline poopscoop

• Kopite
  • And what a delighted scorer – it's Tommy Smith!
« Reply #50 on: November 3, 2010, 01:10:41 pm »
Gareth Bale is the new Jesus, apparently. Cast your mind back two years, he was crap as a left back, injury prone, couldn't get near the team - and was being touted around for under £2million. Johnson needs to wake up, but a lost cause he is not. Keep him at right back and make him work his value back up - then flog him, if need be.

Offline robfitz987

• Boys Pen
« Reply #51 on: November 3, 2010, 01:36:40 pm »
Personally I think Johnson and Konsechky are liabilities. Johnson makes too many mistakes. When the team were playing awful he was on of our best going forward but that cant excuse the mistakes he made, at least in midfield he wouldnt be found out as much.

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #52 on: November 3, 2010, 01:51:35 pm »
Current England international, highly rated by lots of good coaches including Capello.
Looked great when he joined us. Needs his confidence back and some support.
We do slag off our own players to ridiculous depths.

Now THAT is not a criteria for a player to be judged as good or bad. Look no further than the illustrious list which played at the last world cup.
If you can't get a coach with 30+ years experience at the very top level to play them cohesively and look half decent, I'd take the implication of the phrase "England International........blah " with a pinch, no make that a fistful of salt.

;)
GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline swampy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: November 3, 2010, 03:07:38 pm »
I think for 18 million he's been disappointing over the total time here but some of that is down to injuries and the performance of the team as a whole. I wouldn't say glen is world class he is a solid international but  that in my opinion doesn't fit world class. World class players are those who when it's not quite happening for the team raise their game and change it's course, glen partly because of his position and partly because when we are average he looks average doesn't make it as world class for me. He does however have a great talent that needs to be developed. He is very good going forward and can make a significant difference to results and performances but needs the right set up to deliver that for us.
The right set up is
Pepe
Johnson
Skertel
Agger
Fabio/Kelly
Raul
Lucas (we need aqua back)
Cole
Dirk
Gerrard
Torres

That would allow us to see the best of glen and to be honest the whole team. A right back will also get exposed by the quality and frequency of the crosses from the left and my criticism of Insua last year as opposed to Aurelio the year before is how many crosses came in from the wings where the lb and lw didn't really prevent them as well as we had in the past. To be honest having joe Cole infront of him this year wouldn't help insua much that's why fabio when available (not often enough I know) is our best option. Dirk also makes intelligent runs to create space for other players and at the start of last season you could see what benefits that gives the team and glen

Offline Spectre

• Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #54 on: November 3, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »
Problem is , he was brought in as a specific specific solution to a specific problem , meant for a specific system , i.e Raa's system.
Now that we don't actually use that system , he looks lost.

I love Rafa to bits and have defended most of his signings , but 18 Million for GJ was a massive overpayment and we were ripped off proper, to put it mildly.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #55 on: November 3, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »

This is completely different from traditional wing play, yet many Liverpool fans still call for Johnson to occupy the RW position despite no previous experience of playing in that position

You may not be aware, but during the season prior to us buying him Johnson played regularly for a while on the right side of midfield for Portsmouth.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 3, 2010, 03:19:51 pm »
Awesome attacking talent. Holes defensively? Sure. Most attacking fullbacks do. I think Johnson is left looking especially exposed having Carra covering on that side though. We need a quick, physical CB playing there.

Until we find that CB I'd play him RM, as he's one of the few, maybe the only player in the squad that commits players and runs past them with the ball at his feet, consistently.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2010, 03:21:32 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline Spectre

• Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #57 on: November 3, 2010, 03:23:44 pm »
For a supposedly 'technical' player , he misplaces a shit load of passes and loses the ball too many times.

Let me scrounge up some chalkboards on Johnson, I want to see his pass completion and tackles attempted and won.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #58 on: November 3, 2010, 03:24:05 pm »
Lol
But they have a bit more in their "defensive locker" than our Glen

I'm not entirely sure that's true. I haven't seen a full back at a top club get such a roasting as Maicon did last night since Insua was playing for us last year.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 3, 2010, 03:42:32 pm »
I dont see much of a difference between him and Bale so you never know.

Bale is an overall better athlete.  Faster, stronger, clever and more agile.  No doubt Johnson can vastly improve, but he really to buck up his ideas. Lose a few pounds for a start.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 3, 2010, 04:31:23 pm »
Supporters have always wanted to turn attacking full backs into wingers, without ever fully understanding the way that players like Johnson play. Recently an interview with the great Roberto Carlos was put upon this website. In this, he criticized Roy for trying to turn him into a winger. He stated that the reason he left Inter for Real was basically Roy and his shite tactics. It worried me, and still does. If Roy can't utilize the great Roberto Carlos, what chance does Glen Johnson stand? Especially when our own supporters are trying to turn him into something he is not.

Attacking full backs enjoy having acres of space in front of them when they receive the ball, instead of immediately being one-on-one with the full back. There is a huge difference, and it allows full backs to play in a completely different style to wingers. Players like Johnson and Ashley Cole are most effective when their wingers tuck inside and occupy the fullback, leaving great space to attack and take advantage of. This also requires a pacy Dm to be able to cover them, much like Mascherano did here.

This is completely different from traditional wing play, yet many Liverpool fans still call for Johnson to occupy the RW position despite no previous experience of playing in that position, and only having Carragher as a senior alternative at RB.

It seems a bit mental really, for me we will be a much better team with GJ at right back. Hell, it might even lead to Carra being left out.

Top post ive been saying he is not a right midfielder, alves was tried as a midfielder by guardiola last year in el clasico it failed him horribly. It was as you said alves like glen makes his runs late and when on song they own the whole right side of the pitch by themselves. Glen can actually defend, his tackle is top draw just his positioning is suspect but a good coach can work with him on that. Chelseas fullbacks actually play as wingers in there team bosingwa(ivanovic less so) and ashley cole bomb up down all day long but have the recovery of pace and the tackle to get them out jail plus they have a better midfield enforcer than we do in essien. We just need a top draw holding midfielder( i miss mascherano) but id  say lass diarra would be sweet.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: November 3, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »
Problem is , he was brought in as a specific specific solution to a specific problem , meant for a specific system , i.e Raa's system.
Now that we don't actually use that system , he looks lost.

I love Rafa to bits and have defended most of his signings , but 18 Million for GJ was a massive overpayment and we were ripped off proper, to put it mildly.

Portsmouth owed us money which we werent going to get anyway unless we took glen johnson. However chelsea and ancelotti wanted him too we had to pay 7 million ontop to get him otherwise he was going chelsea and wed lose our 11 mill from crouch.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 3, 2010, 04:35:59 pm »
Didnt portsmouth owe us for crouch,so technically we didn't pay 18 mil for johnson
anyway another top manager comes in will utilise him better at rb than roy.He's tryimg to get players to work on a system thats outdated.Attacking full backs are part of the modern game.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #63 on: November 3, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »
Hasn't really impressed at all this season after a poor World Cup. Kelly could do with some more games as RB. I like Glen, I really do but he often frustrates me (as have most of the Liverpool team this season to be fair) but Johnson stands out the most, giving away stupid fouls and the penalty against Blackpool. Hopefully when he returns he will have a point to prove.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 3, 2010, 04:46:05 pm »
http://www.footylounge.com/films//liverpool-player-comps/glen-johnson-vs-sunderland-video_4a6c2d6f8.html

remember this game he was boss, his defending as some said he gets pulled into the centre back postion far too much for my liking. Probably due to a certain someone who loves screaming his off ( couch*carra*cough).

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: November 3, 2010, 05:46:31 pm »
johnson could fit into our side well if we had 2 world class centre backs.

we dont so he has to have a decent defensive game which he doesnt
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #66 on: November 3, 2010, 05:54:19 pm »
Awesome attacking talent. Holes defensively? Sure. Most attacking fullbacks do. I think Johnson is left looking especially exposed having Carra covering on that side though. We need a quick, physical CB playing there.

Until we find that CB I'd play him RM, as he's one of the few, maybe the only player in the squad that commits players and runs past them with the ball at his feet, consistently.

Christ, I'm in complete agreement with Bob Loblaw. Particularly the bit about cover and pace.

His form has been crap this season, but eureka, so has that of a majority of players all over Europe who played in the World Cup.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #67 on: November 4, 2010, 09:50:04 pm »
<3 the player.

I really do love Glen....well in lad, good game defensively and won us with a move that Carra nad Kelly can only dream of doing

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 4, 2010, 09:53:04 pm »
Been rusty today I think.

Good run for the peno.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline rushs-tash

• Kopite
  • "If you do X, Y & Z - Bob's your uncle"
« Reply #69 on: November 4, 2010, 09:53:18 pm »
proof if needed again about playing him right wing/mid for the penalty then. Great play.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 4, 2010, 09:53:27 pm »
good performance from him tonight but does look knackered, a run from deep aswell!

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #71 on: November 4, 2010, 09:59:07 pm »
Carrying some timber?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 4, 2010, 09:59:35 pm »
Carrying some timber?

Just not very good.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #73 on: November 4, 2010, 10:00:16 pm »
Just not very good.

Oh shut it he was good defensively and great attacking!

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 4, 2010, 10:00:33 pm »
It's nice to see him show what he can do tonight. Hopefully that will remind a few of the doubters of what he can bring to the team. If only we had the right system and a pacy Centre Back supporting him, Johnson provides us with a platform for exciting attacking football.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #75 on: November 4, 2010, 10:01:03 pm »
personally thought he was really poor tonight but did well for the penalty.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #76 on: November 4, 2010, 10:02:54 pm »
Excellent run for the penalty.  Okay game otherwise

Offline Red eh

• Anny Roader
  • Supporting the Reds from the Great White North
« Reply #77 on: November 4, 2010, 10:03:29 pm »
4th best player at our club.
I think he goes alright. Look at Konchesky, now that's a retard.

Offline Breitner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 4, 2010, 10:04:00 pm »
Oh shut it he was good defensively and great attacking!

I don't think we were watching the same player.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #79 on: November 4, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »
personally thought he was really poor tonight but did well for the penalty.

honestly how was he poor ?

defensively he did NOTHING wrong. intercepted the ball sometimes, shielded it well.

had a great shot on target in the first half.

but yea, misplaced 3-4 passes but that was all, and won a vital penalty.

unless he scores/assists each game, people would go on about him having a bad day.

baffling