Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 396361 times)

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1480 on: December 17, 2014, 11:08:58 pm »
Sterling is so gonna be a center-forward in a year or two once he figures out how to generate more power in his shooting and of course the timing of his runs. I remember when Henry as a young player was moved to a no.9 position from the wing he needed a good few months to figure it out and was very wasteful in the process. Obviously Raheem probably won`t be as good but he will be good enough as the central position is much better for his skill-set rather than being isolated on the wing trying to outrun the fullbacks.
Think you are right in that we'll see more of him upfront. Certainly now when Sturridge is out - as he's the only player that can run behind a defence and stretch it - but in coming years I think that's where he'll end up. As you say, he still has aspects to work on, and might alternate between forward and that position at the tip of the diamond, but I think it's key that we play him through the middle. At 20, he's by far our greatest attacking threat when Sturridge is injured and he's needed in the centre of the pitch.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1481 on: December 17, 2014, 11:09:55 pm »
Not sure he has the stature to be a top top centre forward and at the moment he lacks composure in front of goal he doesn't have what say Fowler and Owen had in front of goal at the same age. I think he could maybe be a good one in two striker and/or support striker. But at this stage I'd worry he wouldn't be clinical enough to be the main lead striker like we saw against United at the weekend; even tonight he had a great chance for a hatty but didn't take it.

Get Sturridge up there with him and they'll knock in a few tap ins.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1482 on: December 17, 2014, 11:17:48 pm »
Sterling is so gonna be a center-forward in a year or two once he figures out how to generate more power in his shooting and of course the timing of his runs. I remember when Henry as a young player was moved to a no.9 position from the wing he needed a good few months to figure it out and was very wasteful in the process. Obviously Raheem probably won`t be as good but he will be good enough as the central position is much better for his skill-set rather than being isolated on the wing trying to outrun the fullbacks.

A couple of great little strikes tonight.

Really has everything in his locker that Michael Owen had, but also a lot more strength and skill on the ball.

Would love to see Sterling as a regular in the front 3, and Suso as a regular in the next line of 3

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1483 on: December 17, 2014, 11:19:47 pm »
Not sure he has the stature to be a top top centre forward and at the moment he lacks composure in front of goal he doesn't have what say Fowler and Owen had in front of goal at the same age. I think he could maybe be a good one in two striker and/or support striker. But at this stage I'd worry he wouldn't be clinical enough to be the main lead striker like we saw against United at the weekend; even tonight he had a great chance for a hatty but didn't take it. 
You should have seen Henry as a striker when Wenger moved him there from the right wing position. He didn`t score a goal there in months and months and then all of the sudden figured it out and grew as a striker with every game. Sterling in his own right imo will be a phenomenal striker in a few years.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1484 on: December 17, 2014, 11:21:34 pm »
Get Sturridge up there with him and they'll knock in a few tap ins.

He's wasted as a striker. He's good there, but he needs to play a bit deeper, not be the furthest forward. Things will be so much better with him and Sturridge.

Sturridge, Sterling, Lallana could be awesome as fuck to watch if it clicks. Very impressed with Lazar tonight as well. Hopefully Lallana and Markovic can kick on from this game, and Sterling regains some composure in front of goal. We'll be able to get at Arsenal's defense I'm sure, if we stick to the technical passing game...not stick Lambert up top and randomly start going route 1.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #1485 on: December 17, 2014, 11:24:38 pm »
I was saying it on Sunday after Raheem kept missing the chances that it was a really encouraging performance regardless. The Mancs couldn't contain him, his movement and pace was too much for him. He came up against a freak in De Gea.. He should have done better with some of his chances but it was promising he was getting into the positions..

Tonight, he continued to get into the positions and that's a great sign.. He scuffed that shot for his treble which was a shame but it's only a matter of time before it all clicks for Raheem..

Might be inconsistent in front of goal for now but 99% are at 20... Even Cristiano Ronaldo, who just doesn't miss given a chance nowadays, was very inconsistent in front of goal as a youngster..

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1486 on: December 17, 2014, 11:25:54 pm »
I think Lallana and Coutinho are equally good. Lallana consistently performs better but its a close race. Hope they start firing on all cylinders.
Seen us win everything

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #1487 on: December 17, 2014, 11:27:29 pm »
Lallana was excellent. When Sturridge is fit we'll actually struggle to fit in our attacking players who are playing at the level that is required. Coutinho will be the most likely to lose out.

Think thats unlikely Coutinho's game is built to play alongside Sturridge, more then anyone in the team, Sturridge said so himself, thatg and he has been far better the Lallana this season

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1488 on: December 17, 2014, 11:30:51 pm »
Markovic is right footed yes? Doesn't seem as keen to go past his man on the left, seems inhibited. Anyway, he was good and looks like he's ideal for keeping the ball moving. Some great contributions in attack but he also made some half dozen tackles, although he was perhaps drawn out of position slightly for their goal.

Offline WillyWonka

• Has no real issue with losing games actually. Could be Veruca Salt but don't tell the Squirrels
  • Kopite
« Reply #1489 on: December 17, 2014, 11:35:35 pm »
Think thats unlikely Coutinho's game is built to play alongside Sturridge, more then anyone in the team, Sturridge said so himself, thatg and he has been far better the Lallana this season

I'd certainly strong disagree that he's been far than Lallana. It's been very even between them and I'd give to Lallana because I think his consistency has been better. Countinho has the advantage of experience with Sturridge so that would favour him getting picked but I thought the way Lallana has linked up so quickly with Sterling has been very impressive. A nice problem to have anyway.

Offline Rouge

• Legacy Fan
  • Barnes to Molby!
« Reply #1490 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:14 pm »
I'd certainly strong disagree that he's been far than Lallana. It's been very even between them and I'd give to Lallana because I think his consistency has been better. Countinho has the advantage of experience with Sturridge so that would favour him getting picked but I thought the way Lallana has linked up so quickly with Sterling has been very impressive. A nice problem to have anyway.

Sturridge is our main striker, so it makes sense to play him with the player that links up best with him, that's Coutinho. 

I find it strange that people seem to be so evangelical over Lallana a player I warrant hardly anyone watched for more then highlights from on MOTD when he still hasnt shown that much but already claim he should replace one of our best players for nearly 2 years in the first/best 11? Bizarre 

Offline WillyWonka

• Has no real issue with losing games actually. Could be Veruca Salt but don't tell the Squirrels
  • Kopite
« Reply #1491 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:08 am »
Sturridge is our main striker, so it makes sense to play him with the player that links up best with him, that's Coutinho. 

I find it strange that people seem to be so evangelical over Lallana a player I warrant hardly anyone watched for more then highlights from on MOTD when he still hasnt shown that much but already claim he should replace one of our best players for nearly 2 years in the first/best 11? Bizarre

He's shown more this season than Coutinho though. He works harder and is better defensively. Also,  Coutinho has certainly not been on our best for two years. He's been good but last season I could have probably looked decent with Suarez and Sturridge in the team.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1492 on: December 18, 2014, 12:55:05 am »
Think we looked a lot more fluid tonight going forward. I would definitely continue with Sterling upfront for the moment. Our quality last year came from movement and pace going forward, and Sterling offers that more than any of our strikers in that position right now. With Markovic coming into form its vital to play him to support that pace a fluidity, as well as Lallana.

Hopefully we continue with this until Sturridge returns. I'd like to see a couple of cameos from Balotelli but nothing more, he needs to be integrated into this team to see if he can click.

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1493 on: December 18, 2014, 01:14:42 am »
I think we're going to have some decisions to make come summer as regards Coutinho. He had a really great game but I would echo what some others have said - both Sterling and Lallana look like challenging for the same role in the team. Sure we could fit everyone in some way if we had to, but if we could get a good fee for Coutinho it might be smart business to sell and reinvest that in a real quality signing-a striker, a quality holding midfielder with pace, strength, technique and a good long shot. Imagine a Fernandinho type player replacing Coutinho on the team sheet, or a Gundogan. Maybe we can't get a player that level in but you can see where I'm going with this.

I do love Coutinho but his lack of finishing and strength are always going to be an issue imo, and we have creators with flair in spades at the moment; however, I will admit to being proven wrong by his performance tonight - he can do more than mastermind the counter. He did very well with his movement and passing. He seemed faster to release the ball tonight and didn't try to dribble past everyone every time he got on it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1494 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:00 am »
Selling Coutinho would be madness.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1495 on: December 18, 2014, 01:21:35 am »
Selling Coutinho would be madness.
Not if Kroos or Sweinsteiger replaces him.  ;)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1496 on: December 18, 2014, 01:22:22 am »
Sterling as an out-and-out striker would negative one of his main strengths: his ability to pick the ball up relatively deep and run at and stretch defences with his unmatched pace. I don't doubt he'd do well as a striker, and for certain games yes, but generally I'd like to see him just that bit deeper.

And come on, sell Coutinho? I have no idea why you'd sell one of the brightest number 10's in Europe. He's 22.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1497 on: December 18, 2014, 01:23:29 am »
Not if Kroos or Sweinsteiger replaces him.  ;)

Swap deal for Messi?

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1498 on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:27 am »
Swap deal for Messi?

;D ;D

I know it is crazy and it'd only happen if the right deal was going to happen. It's like Real getting rid of Di Maria - a great player but there was a better use of the resources he represented for the team. If the right opportunity came up it would be worth doing given the balance of the team... of course I could just be off my rocker. I do have a 4 week year old and haven't been sleeping!  :-*

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1499 on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:36 am »
Swap deal for Messi?

Pfft, he wouldn't cut it in this league. Can you imagine him up against Richard Dunne at Loftus Road? He'd shit his kecks.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1500 on: December 18, 2014, 01:28:10 am »
;D ;D

I know it is crazy and it'd only happen if the right deal was going to happen. It's like Real getting rid of Di Maria - a great player but there was a better use of the resources he represented for the team. If the right opportunity came up it would be worth doing given the balance of the team... of course I could just be off my rocker. I do have a 4 week year old and haven't been sleeping!  :-*

It would depend a lot on the deal we could get,A LOT.

Mess is too small for the premier league. One look at stoke and he'd be sent packing.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1501 on: December 18, 2014, 02:05:43 am »
;D ;D

Didn't we just do this exact thing with Suarez? Still not yet Christmas, but I'd like to see some more dividends on that before we sell another one of our 'key' players for balance.

Besides, I think we'd be doing extremely well if we got 30m for Coutinho at this point. His form's been very patchy, and I reckon only PSG, Monaco, Madrid or Barca would be crazy enough to go for him.

We're far better off holding onto him and trying to get him to reach his potential.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #1502 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:53 am »
If were going to sell an established quality player it wouldn't be till the summer, since we will have a better picture of what we really need to have a better squad.
Seen us win everything

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1503 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:26 am »
While I certainly don't think we should sell Coutinho, the way he constantly ignores passes to try and take four or five extra touches and engineer the shot which is almost always off target really irks me. He needs to start playing for the team more to become the player he can be, rather than trying to do everything himself. I believe this is the reason why he struggles for consistency and either looks like a world beater or looks utterly useless.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline WillyWonka

• Kopite
« Reply #1504 on: December 18, 2014, 02:29:23 am »
I don't we'd get enough to justify selling Countinho though. I don't think any of the big spenders would want him. We'd be doing well very well to get £15m+ for him.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1505 on: December 18, 2014, 02:29:24 am »
Lots of young attacking playmakers like Coutinho are very inconsistent, easy to forget he's only just turned 22. In 3-4 years he'll be some player. I mean players like Silva have 6 years experience on him

Worried how there was talk of a new contract for him ~3 months ago and it's gone very quiet since. Seems to be contract issues with a lot of players right now (Gerrard, Sterling, Suso).
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1506 on: December 18, 2014, 03:03:17 am »
I think we're going to have some decisions to make come summer as regards Coutinho. He had a really great game but I would echo what some others have said - both Sterling and Lallana look like challenging for the same role in the team. Sure we could fit everyone in some way if we had to, but if we could get a good fee for Coutinho it might be smart business to sell and reinvest that in a real quality signing-a striker, a quality holding midfielder with pace, strength, technique and a good long shot. Imagine a Fernandinho type player replacing Coutinho on the team sheet, or a Gundogan. Maybe we can't get a player that level in but you can see where I'm going with this.

I do love Coutinho but his lack of finishing and strength are always going to be an issue imo, and we have creators with flair in spades at the moment; however, I will admit to being proven wrong by his performance tonight - he can do more than mastermind the counter. He did very well with his movement and passing. He seemed faster to release the ball tonight and didn't try to dribble past everyone every time he got on it.

Lallana is a good player, no doubt. I reckon tonight though demonstrated just how different our 3 little playmakers (that i've previously lumped together) actually are...

Sterling excels at picking the pace up and finding space
Lallana excels at working himself out of tight positions to get some clear air, and hopefully, having a bit of time to find the pass
Coutinho has the most drive from midfield of the 3 - the ability to take the ball from our half into threatening positions.

Agree that it's difficult at this stage to fit them all into the team together, but I still think Coutinho has looked the most threatening for us on the most consistent basis this season

His main weakness has been magnified over the others this year - and that's his ability to keep the ball moving when the killer pass isn't on. He does ok, but most would agree that he sometimes takes the wrong option in those situations.

Solution - we need more players showing for the ball so that the pass is on more often. That's a step forward, not taking him out of the team entirely.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1507 on: December 18, 2014, 03:19:23 am »
If this formation allows us to play all 4 of Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and Lallana, then Im super excited. Just that we need to keep our defence tight. It still isnt happening. When Sturridge returns, one of Coutinho/Lallana will sit.
And Markovic, been saying it since day 1. This kid is the real deal. Had such an influence, even from LWB. He still isnt up for it, and hesitates with dribbles, and makes some wrong decisions. But with more game time, he'll sort that out.

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1508 on: December 18, 2014, 03:54:45 am »
If this formation allows us to play all 4 of Sterling, Coutinho, Markovic and Lallana, then Im super excited. Just that we need to keep our defence tight. It still isnt happening. When Sturridge returns, one of Coutinho/Lallana will sit.
And Markovic, been saying it since day 1. This kid is the real deal. Had such an influence, even from LWB. He still isnt up for it, and hesitates with dribbles, and makes some wrong decisions. But with more game time, he'll sort that out.

Heh, there's gonna be a load of smug bastards on here if Markovic does indeed do the same thing he did at Benfica (poor first half of the season then a rapid ascent). I, for one, can't wait to welcome our new smug bastard overlords!

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1509 on: December 18, 2014, 04:01:48 am »
We like to talk about having quality "technicians."

With Lallana, Markovic, Coutinho, and Sterling in attack, we've got some good ones!
King Kenny.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #1510 on: December 18, 2014, 04:14:49 am »
Heh, there's gonna be a load of smug bastards on here if Markovic does indeed do the same thing he did at Benfica (poor first half of the season then a rapid ascent). I, for one, can't wait to welcome our new smug bastard overlords!
That way mate, Rodgers peaks in the second half of seasons- probably has to do with him getting used to players. The likes of Flanno, Sterling, Hendo, Gerrard in that new role all got better as the season went on.
Wouldnt be surprised if Markovic and Lallana- if not others, do that. Both looked very comfortable yesterday, and Lallana has started to really find his feet lately too.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1511 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17:58 am »
Markovic's long passing is effortless and somehow always seems to find a teammate.

Coutinho was very good yesterday but he sometimes works too hard to make a run happen. He needs to get a better grasp when to release the ball. Its a bit like his mind goes into an auto-shot mode whenever he catches a sight of the goal. He only passes near the box when he gets surrounded by 2 players and can't get a shot away.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1512 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:11 am »
Agree with some of the issues with Coutinho (not with the selling him part though). Yesterday he had, according to WhoScored, 5 bad touches leading to loss of possession, more than anyone else. I can recall a couple, just simple poor touches.

He still tries too hard to be perfect, I think. I do like that he's picking the ball up from deeper positions and running forward with it as he's a superb dribbler. He's still got plenty of improvement in him, which is a huge positive as he's a good player now.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1513 on: December 18, 2014, 06:12:51 am »
While I certainly don't think we should sell Coutinho, the way he constantly ignores passes to try and take four or five extra touches and engineer the shot which is almost always off target really irks me. He needs to start playing for the team more to become the player he can be, rather than trying to do everything himself. I believe this is the reason why he struggles for consistency and either looks like a world beater or looks utterly useless.

This season I agree fully that he has been more selfish, I would guess it's just our poor form in the attack and lack of a proper threat really. Which goes both ways, as he is a main contributor to creating chances but at the same time is somewhat hindering our pass and move game.

Lallana for me is great with a quick flick or pass type of game, but he has hardly showed that he could come deeper and drive up the ball as Coutinho has, and I don't think he has that strength in his locker. So in that respect it would be stupid to think Lallana could fully replace Coutinho, and so that we could sell him (C).

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #1514 on: December 18, 2014, 08:41:37 am »
This season I agree fully that he has been more selfish, I would guess it's just our poor form in the attack and lack of a proper threat really. Which goes both ways, as he is a main contributor to creating chances but at the same time is somewhat hindering our pass and move game.

Lallana for me is great with a quick flick or pass type of game, but he has hardly showed that he could come deeper and drive up the ball as Coutinho has, and I don't think he has that strength in his locker. So in that respect it would be stupid to think Lallana could fully replace Coutinho, and so that we could sell him (C).

Its also worth mentioning that Coutinho is 22 and Lallana is 26. I think people forget how young some of our players sometimes. Coutinho has 4 years of developing before he's in his prime. That's a whole lot of improving that could happen to a player who is already on of the best AM's in the Premier League.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1515 on: December 18, 2014, 08:45:40 am »
Whilst in the past I've harped on about why buy Lallana when we have Coutinho, but you can understand a bit that Lallana is the player for now and will more than likely be the one starting over Coutinho once we have Sturridge fit. This gives Coutinho the chance to grow as a player without the huge expectation to be the main man every game, I just think he is trying too hard and that's manifesting in going for the shot over the pass and trying to take on too many men.

Markovic Sturridge Sterling

Lallana

CM    CM

Will Coutinho on the bench etc.

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1516 on: December 18, 2014, 08:59:58 am »
Was I watching a different game...? In the first half Coutinho sparked nearly every one of our attacks. That type of player is always going to misplace a few passes or give the ball away, rather him try and give it away than never try it. Talk of selling him is ridiculous.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1517 on: December 18, 2014, 09:07:37 am »
That cross from Markovic for the first goal was beautiful.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1518 on: December 18, 2014, 09:42:00 am »
Sterling can play as a striker in his sleep:

His movement is great, he's quick, he's strong, his finishing varies depending on his confidence but that can and will improve

No worries about it reducing his ability to pick the ball up in deeper areas, certainly didnt hinder Suarez in that aspect, he isnt playing as a typical number 9, he is almost playing a free role at the top end, to go where he wants, his football brain is good enough to play this role.

When markovic crossed that ball to Henderson, Sterling was already on the move.....that was a goal of a striker if ever there was one.

But equally when Sturridge is back...Sterling could easily play as a Right wing back...imagine Marko left & Sterling right...all out attack, not saying thats where he should play by any means...the depth of marko, lallana, Sterling & Coutinho...plus Ibe is fantastic...we certainly dont need to be looking to sell any of them, they can all get plenty of games

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1519 on: December 18, 2014, 09:57:20 am »

Sorry mate but that is a terrible shout. Coutinho is one of the most talented players in the squad and we should be looking to keep our best players. There will be more than enough opportunities for everyone to get games.