Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 394787 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1720 on: December 22, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »
He wasn't just signed to play alongside him.

There was a plan for when Sturridge is fit and available, and a plan for when he is not. In addition to a plan for the different systems that Brendan prefers.

As soon as he got injured we moved back to one up front, with Balotelli stepping in for Sturridge in that role. We didn't bring in another striker and play two up front regularly, did we? Which we could of done.

So yes, Balotelli was signed to play with him in the midfield diamond, two up front formation, and in place of him in the 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

And the original poster you replied to is right, we need somebody who can do both, and Mario does not look like that man at the moment.

Or we didn't sign a 3rd striker like we should of, which would of replaced Sturridge when injured and allowed Balotelli to play the role he has always played.

Which is why I said you were guessing, as you've no idea what Rodgers intended.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1721 on: December 22, 2014, 05:05:03 pm »
Or we didn't sign a 3rd striker like we should of, which would of replaced Sturridge when injured and allowed Balotelli to play the role he has always played.

Which is why I said you were guessing, as you've no idea what Rodgers intended.

There is no indication that we ever intended on doing that.

He brought in two strikers last summer (the third one went on loan). He wasn't bemoaning an inability to get in another one on top of that at the end of the transfer window.

The evidence of our plans are in Brendan's team selections, it is not guessing.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1722 on: December 22, 2014, 05:08:59 pm »
There is no indication that we ever intended on doing that.

He brought in two strikers last summer (the third one went on loan). He wasn't bemoaning an inability to get in another one on top of that at the end of the transfer window.

The evidence of our plans are in Brendan's team selections, it is not guessing.

His team selections are dictated by our squad, so it is guessing.

He wanted rid of Borini. You think he wanted to go into the season with Sturridge, a striker who is his replacement (apparently) and a nearly 33 year old?

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #1723 on: December 22, 2014, 05:12:30 pm »
So when I say that it is obvious that our plan was to play Balotelli up front on his own in the event of an injury to Sturridge, because that is what we actually did for about 2 months once Sturridge got injured, you say:

you were guessing, as you've no idea what Rodgers intended.

Ok then.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1724 on: December 22, 2014, 05:19:33 pm »
So when I say that it is obvious that our plan was to play Balotelli up front on his own in the event of an injury to Sturridge, because that is what we actually did for about 2 months once Sturridge got injured, you say:

Ok then.

Glad we had to go round in that circle for you to finally agree.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1725 on: December 22, 2014, 05:20:43 pm »
If the plan was to play Balotelli up top regularly then why sign 2 attacking midfielders for 20m+?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1726 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:20 pm »
If the plan was to play Balotelli up top regularly then why sign 2 attacking midfielders for 20m+?
Cover for Sterling and Coutinho as they had none previously.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #1727 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:55 pm »
Tell you what, let's judge Mario when he's had an extended run beside Daniel, sound fair enough?, the lad is a second striker, playing up top by himself is not his forte, let's give him a chance.
NO!! Let's flame him and get rid! he's shit dontchyaknow...

Have said this all from the start, but methinks he's fucked as most on here have already lit their torches. Apparently, reasoned debate and logic died a long time ago...
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1728 on: December 22, 2014, 05:34:15 pm »

We all know Balotelli was not part of any plan, just a knee jerk once we were rejected by Sanchez also lazy scouting and money ball came into play.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: December 22, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »
Cover for Sterling and Coutinho as they had none previously.

But Lallana was a key signing. Surely if a striker is what we need the most, why not go for him first. Also if playing a diamond means we have 1 attacking mid player available with Sterling starting. So sign 2 players who play in there along with Coutinho? Isnt that overkill?

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1730 on: December 22, 2014, 05:36:26 pm »
Mario Balotelli top of the EPL chart for shots without scoring - 30.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1731 on: December 22, 2014, 05:39:33 pm »
`When you have a midfield working this well and capable of holding quality possession for such long stretches, you don't necessarily need a speedster up front. Play like this and you'll create chances even with Rickie Lambert, Mario Balotelli or Fabio Borini leading the line.`

This is a line from Gab Marcotti and I agree with it wholeheartedly , as we`ve seen at OT where Mario had a host of chances and the reason is the new system that allows us to attack in bigger numbers and have our best footballers closer to each other as opposed to for example Chelsea game of 433 where Sterling and Coutinho are on the opposite sides of the field.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1732 on: December 22, 2014, 05:40:45 pm »
But Lallana was a key signing. Surely if a striker is what we need the most, why not go for him first. Also if playing a diamond means we have 1 attacking mid player available with Sterling starting. So sign 2 players who play in there along with Coutinho? Isnt that overkill?
We were clearly building long-term as we should have because we are building a special team right now around a host of incredible young talent.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1733 on: December 22, 2014, 05:42:37 pm »
We were clearly building long-term as we should have because we are building a special team right now around a host of incredible young talent.

Oh right. Will await that success then.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1734 on: December 22, 2014, 05:43:09 pm »
Oh right. Will await that success then.
It`s gonna be glorious.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1735 on: December 22, 2014, 06:01:24 pm »

Exactly. Markovic's purchase makes zero sense if we were planning on 4-1-2-1-2 being our go-to formation.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #1736 on: December 22, 2014, 06:02:30 pm »
I think Rodgers wanted to swap Borini for someone else th similar abilities but at a higher level to come and n as well as Ballotelli and Lambert so we had two target men and two runners. Borini refusing to go meant Rodgers went with just one of Mario or Rick thinking they both bring others into play. It didn't really pan out like that and I wanted us to go for pace up top in Sterling a while ago. He and Balo would be a good fold for each other in my opinion.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1737 on: December 22, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »
Exactly. Markovic's purchase makes zero sense if we were planning on 4-1-2-1-2 being our go-to formation.

I don't think we intended on having a 'go to' formation, we didn't so much last season either.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: December 22, 2014, 06:18:36 pm »
`When you have a midfield working this well and capable of holding quality possession for such long stretches, you don't necessarily need a speedster up front. Play like this and you'll create chances even with Rickie Lambert, Mario Balotelli or Fabio Borini leading the line.`

This is a line from Gab Marcotti and I agree with it wholeheartedly , as we`ve seen at OT where Mario had a host of chances and the reason is the new system that allows us to attack in bigger numbers and have our best footballers closer to each other as opposed to for example Chelsea game of 433 where Sterling and Coutinho are on the opposite sides of the field.

While you could agree with that statement you could also say wow its great to have so much possession but by Christ would I swop a Ballotelli tomorrow morning for a Suarez or Rush. Yes its great to have a 50 pass goal to get excited about but a 2 or 3 pass killer blow via a Rush would be one hell of a way to win games as well. It be foolish not to have both options on the park and lately without a Sturridge you don't have it or you do but Sterling needs 4 or 5 one on one chances to score. He will get better with experience but right now we are dying for Sturridge to come back. 
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1739 on: December 22, 2014, 07:27:02 pm »
Lacazette already bagged 19 goals this season (17 from, 19 in Lique1).

How many people on here were screaming for us to sign him in the summer? I know he said he wanted to stay at Lyon and Lyon didn't want to sell, but money most definitely talks. For the money we forked out for Balotelli, I'd wager my trousers we could have had this guy.

There was lots of talk they were ready to sit down and do a deal with Newcastle towards the end of the window, but Lacazette wanted to wait for something bigger
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1740 on: December 22, 2014, 07:59:37 pm »
There was lots of talk they were ready to sit down and do a deal with Newcastle towards the end of the window, but Lacazette wanted to wait for something bigger
Everton?

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1741 on: December 22, 2014, 08:34:37 pm »
Rodgers said the introduction of Sturridge will help us. No mention of other potential recruits to help unlike comments from previous seasons. Keeping cards close to his chest or telling us the fact that there will be no new strikers?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1742 on: December 22, 2014, 08:36:17 pm »
Rodgers said the introduction of Sturridge will help us. No mention of other potential recruits to help unlike comments from previous seasons. Keeping cards close to his chest or telling us the fact that there will be no new strikers?

He said he hasn't thought about the window yet in another interview, obviously not true but he is clearly not saying anything about transfer - which is no different than normal at this time of year.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1743 on: December 22, 2014, 08:37:11 pm »

The former, we won't have much money unless we can sell Borini, but it'll either be Origi or somebody else IMO

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1744 on: December 22, 2014, 08:41:04 pm »
Sturridge will most definitely will help if he stays fit (although on current evidence, that's a humongous "if"). We do need not only a person who can finish, but one who is also on the same wavelength with Coutinho.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1745 on: December 22, 2014, 08:49:44 pm »

It wouldn't be wise to mention more spending, considering what he's spent in the summer.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #1746 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:22 pm »
It wouldn't be wise to mention more spending, considering what he's spent in the summer.

This is It. There's also the possibility he doesn't even know what he has to spend?

Think a lot depends on Borini, as it seemed to in the summer. He was Brendan's first signing as well, doesn't look great when you're selling him off in less than 20 games.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: December 22, 2014, 09:58:37 pm »
Can anybody tell me what Sturbridge is listening to  ;D

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1748 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:29 pm »

The Doors.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1749 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
Its like that bit in the simpsons when Gary Coleman is on the phone but the phone isn't plugged in.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: December 23, 2014, 02:53:30 am »
You're like a broken record.

I'm not sure we looked worse at all against United when he came on. He also looked good against Spurs with someone up there with him.

Personally I'd give him a go up there with Sterling, or at least with Sterling more central rather than out side, as the two of them should give defenders a lot more to think about, which will benefit both of them.

I agree with KH, we certainly looked worse off after he came on despite Man Utd trying to defend even more than before while sitting on a 2 goal lead. We can't be using that one game sample again and again to speculate as to how he would do if he played up front alongside another player. If anything, when Sturridge comes back and he does need another player beside him by the way, it should be Raheem that's playing in one of the positions in the 3. I do think we'll see another shuffle in our formation soon though. The three at the back doesn't address our defensive weaknesses, the two man defensive midfield combination adds very little to shoring up our back line and we could conceivably play the likes of Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling in another formation also.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1751 on: December 23, 2014, 03:33:34 am »

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1752 on: December 23, 2014, 07:51:32 am »
We cannot put  Balotelli back in the team. We looked worse when he was in the side against Utd. The only place he should be going is on the transfer list from Day 1 in January.

I thought he did well when he came on against utd, had a lot better movement than in other games!

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1753 on: December 23, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »

To me it seems his music is on his phone, and he's briefly disconnected it to take the selfie. Boring, I know ;)

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1754 on: December 23, 2014, 12:36:09 pm »
I agree with KH, we certainly looked worse off after he came on despite Man Utd trying to defend even more than before while sitting on a 2 goal lead. We can't be using that one game sample again and again to speculate as to how he would do if he played up front alongside another player.

Goes for the negative comments then too...

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1755 on: December 23, 2014, 12:39:25 pm »
Tell you what, let's judge Mario when he's had an extended run beside Daniel, sound fair enough?, the lad is a second striker, playing up top by himself is not his forte, let's give him a chance.

Doesn't sound fair at all IMO, when will this 'extended run beside Daniel' happen...?  :-X

Offline Gegenpresser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1756 on: December 23, 2014, 09:59:05 pm »
One thing that seems to be hampering us is the general direction of our attacks. We keep setting up chances that would favour Sturridge but see Sterling constantly going on to his weaker foot. Against both United and Arsenal, every shot Sterling took came from a lefthand angle, and this seems to be a result of too much of our penetration directed into space on the left. I think we would probably benefit from bringing back Moreno and playing Marko as the right wingback.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:01:04 pm by Gegenpresser »

Offline Danan

• Kopite
« Reply #1757 on: December 23, 2014, 10:05:48 pm »
We cannot put  Balotelli back in the team. We looked worse when he was in the side against Utd. The only place he should be going is on the transfer list from Day 1 in January.

I might be wrong, but I don't think that we looked worse with him on the team in that game.

http://videa.hu/videok/sport/manliv2-E3POo914WeG8C1pQ

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1758 on: December 23, 2014, 10:21:30 pm »
One thing that seems to be hampering us is the general direction of our attacks. We keep setting up chances that would favour Sturridge but see Sterling constantly going on to his weaker foot. Against both United and Arsenal, every shot Sterling took came from a lefthand angle, and this seems to be a result of too much of our penetration directed into space on the left. I think we would probably benefit from bringing back Moreno and playing Marko as the right wingback.

The idea is that Markovic cuts in from the left onto his right foot, if you put him on the right and Moreno on the left you lose that and end up putting more crosses in - which with Sterling up front isn't the best idea.

Offline Gegenpresser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1759 on: December 23, 2014, 10:39:24 pm »
In theory, but in practice, he's giving us a lot of penetration down the left channel, including two chances created with passes from very close to the touchline and some great linkup play with Lallana being in the more central position, whereas Hendo is giving us no penetrative threat down the right. Having them non-inverted won't force them to cross. What we're doing now involves using width but playing it short to the edge of the area and looking for a third man run towards the near post. Marko and Lallana could recreate that on the right but with Sterling's run putting him in a more favorable position for the shot.