Author Topic: The Attack  (Read 394877 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: The Attack
« Reply #1520 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:09 am »
I think we're going to have some decisions to make come summer as regards Coutinho. He had a really great game but I would echo what some others have said - both Sterling and Lallana look like challenging for the same role in the team. Sure we could fit everyone in some way if we had to, but if we could get a good fee for Coutinho it might be smart business to sell and reinvest that in a real quality signing-a striker, a quality holding midfielder with pace, strength, technique and a good long shot. Imagine a Fernandinho type player replacing Coutinho on the team sheet, or a Gundogan. Maybe we can't get a player that level in but you can see where I'm going with this.

I do love Coutinho but his lack of finishing and strength are always going to be an issue imo, and we have creators with flair in spades at the moment; however, I will admit to being proven wrong by his performance tonight - he can do more than mastermind the counter. He did very well with his movement and passing. He seemed faster to release the ball tonight and didn't try to dribble past everyone every time he got on it.

Said when we signed him that Lallana, Sterling and Coutinho was realistically 3 into 2. But Sterling at this rate is going to be burnt out anyway soon because of the amount of football he's played. Use the opportunities to rest him, which may be when Sturridge gets back.

Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling and Markovic should all be key going forward. Difficulties would be if we missed out on Europe next season because it's hard to juggle a squad then.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1521 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:37 am »
no way coutinho has to stay only 22 and he hasn't hit his peak yet, got to let him develop as he could be a monster of a player when he gets older

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1522 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:48 am »
Sorry mate but that is a terrible shout. Coutinho is one of the most talented players in the squad and we should be looking to keep our best players. There will be more than enough opportunities for everyone to get games.

Honestly can't tell if he's being serious

Offline jfc

• Kopite
« Reply #1523 on: December 18, 2014, 10:05:05 am »
also sterling has that suarez/sturridge about him up top as he can very quickly get it back to goal and turn and have the defenders on the back foot thus allowing more runners in behind him and more unpredictability. He has to stay in that role until sturridge returns

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1524 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:50 am »
What I love about the way we use 343 is that Lallana and Coutinho aren`t really being on the wings isolated nor are they no.10s strictly speaking, both of them are in half positions, exactly in those pockets of space between the lines where it`s difficult for opposition to know who to mark. It`s perfect for two of them as they are both much better in central positions rather than being isolated on the wings. Not to mention Sterling as a false 9 who can roam around , drop deep to collect the ball and run at the defence.

I was raving about this system after Utd game and it would be wonderful if it could become our identity as it`s so hyper attacking. We practically have 7 people in opposition half and look to play there the whole game. Every time our player yesterday had the ball in the final third he had 2-3 good passing options, no wonder we kept it so well there. Long may this continue.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1525 on: December 18, 2014, 10:19:10 am »
What I love about the way we use 343 is that Lallana and Coutinho aren`t really being on the wings isolated nor are they no.10s strictly speaking, both of them are in half positions, exactly in those pockets of space between the lines where it`s difficult for opposition to know who to mark. It`s perfect for two of them as they are both much better in central positions rather than being isolated on the wings. Not to mention Sterling as a false 9 who can roam around , drop deep to collect the ball and run at the defence.

I was raving about this system after Utd game and it would be wonderful if it could become our identity as it`s so hyper attacking. We practically have 7 people in opposition half and look to play there the whole game. Every time our player yesterday had the ball in the final third he had 2-3 good passing options, no wonder we kept it so well there. Long may this continue.
We should move Gerrard into the back 3 if we're going to continue with it.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1526 on: December 18, 2014, 10:20:17 am »
We should move Gerrard into the back 3 if we're going to continue with it.
Lothar Matthaus style. I like it.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1527 on: December 18, 2014, 10:24:08 am »
Love Sterling in this new set-up, as everyone is saying the finishing will come with maturity and training time. For now it suits us to have him up there but we will be even better when Daniel-san comes back when I think Sterling will place Coutinho on the bench and play from the left/hole position.

First Raheem needs to get up to that 10-12 goals a season stage then take it from there.

To the guy who said we should sell Coutinho: please don't play Football Manager dude, you will only end up self harming!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: December 18, 2014, 10:33:52 am »
Said when we signed him that Lallana, Sterling and Coutinho was realistically 3 into 2. But Sterling at this rate is going to be burnt out anyway soon because of the amount of football he's played. Use the opportunities to rest him, which may be when Sturridge gets back.

Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling and Markovic should all be key going forward. Difficulties would be if we missed out on Europe next season because it's hard to juggle a squad then.
The number of players isn't the problem, it's how they've been used. Sterling certainly should have been rotated out the side more for Lallana or Markovic.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1529 on: December 18, 2014, 10:39:41 am »
The number of players isn't the problem, it's how they've been used. Sterling certainly should have been rotated out the side more for Lallana or Markovic.

We've got 4 very good attacking midfield options there, plus the opportunity to use one as a striker/false 9. You're not going to start all 4 every game but in a 60 game season you wouldn't want to anyway. That's why you have a squad.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1530 on: December 18, 2014, 11:21:30 am »
We've got 4 very good attacking midfield options there, plus the opportunity to use one as a striker/false 9. You're not going to start all 4 every game but in a 60 game season you wouldn't want to anyway. That's why you have a squad.
Thought you were making out that we had too many options.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1531 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:04 am »
Sterling has played more minutes than ANY EPL player (via Dan Kennet) ... utter, total insanity

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1532 on: December 18, 2014, 11:40:28 am »
Selling Coutinho is a terrible idea

He's still a young player learning and improving all the time, he can and will be afforded the time to do that here. Injuries, fatigue, fixture pile up, these things all occur numerous times throughout a season, we need to develop and maintain a decent squad

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1533 on: December 18, 2014, 11:44:03 am »
Sell Coutinho no thanks.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1534 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:41 am »
Sterling is being rested in January, chill

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #1535 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:40 am »

Then the "BR doesn't know what he's doing" brigade will be out in force cause our best attacking player isn't on the pitch....

Poor bloke just can't win with some of our fans.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:49:43 am by DeLeiva »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1536 on: December 18, 2014, 11:49:03 am »
Sell Coutinho  ::)

Glad to see Sterling getting moved further forward, I said during the summer after we only really signed Balotelli with a bit of pace upfront that Sterling could be used there and I'm amazed it's taken this long to do so - as we've more than enough players to slot in wider.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: December 18, 2014, 11:49:20 am »
Sterling has played more minutes than ANY EPL player (via Dan Kennet) ... utter, total insanity

It is indeed. But he wasn't dropped when he was playing poorly. Now he seems to have a hit a run of form there is absolutely no chance he will be, until Sturridge is back at least.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:04 am »
Sell Coutinho  ::)

Glad to see Sterling getting moved further forward, I said during the summer after we only really signed Balotelli with a bit of pace upfront that Sterling could be used there and I'm amazed it's taken this long to do so - as we've more than enough players to slot in wider.

Yes, I am a bit surprised it's taken so long. He's got the intelligence to play anywhere.

Offline Gerrard-2-Torres

• Main Stander
« Reply #1539 on: December 18, 2014, 11:53:44 am »
We have a myriad of technically gifted players. This was evident last night with some really nice intricate and neat interplay. All we are missing is the striker outlet, but Sterling as seen last night can play this if needed. The team is just lacking confidence and of course the shite defense doesn't help the cause.

But I strongly believe we can mimic the potent offensive attacks we grew accustomed to last season. That being said, once Sturridge is back and the squad begins to click again I expect some blow out scorelines.

No doubt we have the personnel, it is just that they are young and still learning to ply their trade, but most of them are capable. Even once Suso is back, he will be another great addition as he really has an eye for splitting defenses a la Coutinho and Markovic.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:56 am »
It's amazing what a bit of pace does for our attacking game though. The last 2 games we have probably created more chances than the previous what 5 maybe more games? Once Sturridge gets fit and hopefully can stay fit, we will be flying I reckon.. Maybe if we can sign another striker in Jan too would be very useful. Not sure if our defending will ever be solid under rodgers but once we get the pace back we can just out score teams again  ;D

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1541 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:11 am »
Cannot see Sterling getting a rest, Balo will learn his fate today and we all know they will throw the book at him just because he is ours, Lambert doesnt suit the fast attacking style, Borini , well its Borini so he wont be here after Jan, so Sterling wont get a rest til Sturridge is back then he will play up top with him , so no rest at all
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1542 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:46 am »
Cannot see Sterling getting a rest, Balo will learn his fate today and we all know they will throw the book at him just because he is ours, Lambert doesnt suit the fast attacking style, Borini , well its Borini so he wont be here after Jan, so Sterling wont get a rest til Sturridge is back then he will play up top with him , so no rest at all

We'll no doubt sign another forward in Jan, so he'll get a rest for sure.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1543 on: December 18, 2014, 11:58:20 am »

Rodgers was quoted a few weeks ago saying that he plans to rest Sterling in January, but yeah if Balotelli is banned and Sturridge isn't fit then I can see him continuing upfront until we have options there again/sign another striker

Offline Gerrard-2-Torres

• Main Stander
« Reply #1544 on: December 18, 2014, 11:59:07 am »
We'll no doubt sign another forward in Jan, so he'll get a rest for sure.

Yes, Sturridge will be like a new signing  :P.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1545 on: December 18, 2014, 12:05:18 pm »
Honestly can't tell if he's being serious

We scream out for years for players of the ilk of Coutinho and then someone comes along and considers selling him  ;D

Tis the life of the modern day football fan  :)

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: December 18, 2014, 12:35:13 pm »
Thought you were making out that we had too many options.

It's fine now, or would be if we managed the squad better than we have, but as I said if we're out of Europe next season and back to one game a week it'll be tougher to balance a squad then

There is a big risk of burnout with Sterling, or injuries, due to overplaying.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: December 18, 2014, 12:36:31 pm »

He is? Maybe against Wimbledon but he'll be playing the two Chelsea games and league matches.

The most likely rest he'll get is if he gets an injury and the sheer amount of minutes at a high intensity is increasing the risk.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:38:22 pm by Fromola »

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #1548 on: December 18, 2014, 12:56:17 pm »
He is? Maybe against Wimbledon but he'll be playing the two Chelsea games and league matches.

The most likely rest he'll get is if he gets an injury and the sheer amount of minutes at a high intensity is increasing the risk.
I understand the concerns but I still think our manager and his medical/physio staff are better placed to determine whether he needs a rest or not. So I'll put my trust in their decision making and hope they can get the best out of him like they did the last two seasons.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1549 on: December 18, 2014, 12:56:46 pm »
I'd like to see a Balotelli/Sterling front 2. Go back to the ol' diamond.

Offline iVapor

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1550 on: December 18, 2014, 01:08:18 pm »

Surely after 2 great attacking performances (fair play we didn't score vs United) it'd be best to carry on with 3421?

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1551 on: December 18, 2014, 01:11:31 pm »

Why would you want to ruin the fluid attack with Balotelli who in all probability after getting the ball 40 yards from the goal, would try to beat the keeper only to let the opposition start a counter-attack from which our weak defence will probably concede.

Let Sturridge come back. Till then its Sterling at 9 as he is actually in the positions to score or miss rather than trudging near the halfway line.

Offline Caston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:53 pm »

According to our manager yes

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1553 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:33 pm »
Surely after 2 great attacking performances (fair play we didn't score vs United) it'd be best to carry on with 3421?
I just worry that we're so vulnerable down the flanks once players get behind our wing-backs.

But I wouldn't change the front 3 anyway, Sterling's doing a grand job as a false 9, and bringing in Balotelli will just disrupt the rhythm.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #1554 on: December 18, 2014, 01:33:07 pm »
Glad to see people finally realising markovic is a decent player!

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: December 18, 2014, 01:45:42 pm »
Crazy that some were willing to write him off after 3 months ::) He's not a ready made product, but he's shown that he is a talented footballer in a solid European league. Hoping he will take off after yesterday's game. I'd start him against Arsenal.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1556 on: December 18, 2014, 02:03:47 pm »
Hope we keep a similar setup that we have seen in the last couple of games even when Ballotelli is fit and Sturridge returns as we have to get back to what we had last season. Quick, decisive, fast flowing, always ready to move attack that never lets the opposition settle.

That's the one thing you don't get with Ballotelli or Lambert somewhat as they are very static thus you know what you are going to get from them. Personally the big man option is fine to have now & then and in Lambert you have that plus he is fine with the odd start / off the bench. He even looks to link up play as well a lot more so than Mario but Mario's price tag may mean he gets more minutes on the pitch (when all fit that seems the case so far). Personally that is not the way forward for us just based on what we saw last season and the last 2 games was the closest we have come to those displays so lets stick with what has worked for us.

That in mind I hope we see a lot more of Sterling in the same positions that Suarez found himself last season. I don't expect anything like the similar goals of course but in time who knows as right now Sterling against two pretty decent teams this week could have bagged himself 4 or 5 goals and wondered why he did not score more even. I cant see us resting him too much as he needs to start as many games as possible but hopefully Brendan can take him off & SG too when we go 2 or 3 goals to the good. The likes of Lallana, Coutinho, SG and even Markovic must be wetting their lips at the thought of Sturridge & Sterling running down the channels screaming for passes behind the defenders to be given. Sterling must be the quickest player I have seen in the red of Liverpool and the lad has some skills & strength in tow as well. He is 3 or 4 years ahead of Bale in terms of his performances so we better tie him up soon before Real wave a 50m cheque our ways.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1557 on: December 18, 2014, 02:38:01 pm »
All this time I failed to realize that out attacking problem was hidden in Sterling's ridiculous haircut. He shaved it, and the goals started flowing. We should hire a barber, not a shrink...

;D

;D

Need to be careful. Bournemouth went for the wrong one.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1558 on: December 18, 2014, 03:11:15 pm »

It's good to see him playing well. I hope he stays in the side.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1559 on: December 18, 2014, 03:16:27 pm »
Feel like playing Sterling up top actually might make him more clinical in the future. Clearly our best option right now but there might even be a benefit in the chances he does miss. You can work on finishing every day in training but nothing compares to the real game experience. Can't see how a good run with a few goals won't make him more of a goal threat no matter where he plays afterwards.