Author Topic: Facts For a Time Capsule  (Read 17266 times)

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will cut off your Johnson
Re: Facts For a Time Capsule
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 10:56:40 am »
The main problem with being a manager at Anfield is the fact that we already had 18 league titles, 4 European Cup titles, 3 UEFA Cup titles, 6 FA Cup titles and 7 League Cup titles at the arrival of Benitez. This leads to a much greater pressure upon a manager at Anfield, than the likes of Ferguson and Wenger were having at the times they took over their respective clubs. In fact; they didn't actually have a history to follow up, which is something all managers succeeding Dalglish has had to deal with...

Not sure about that. The pressure at Manchester United was pretty massive. Arsenal less so, but they still were the 2nd and 3rd most successful clubs in English history at the time, and of course, still are.

The pressure on a Liverpool manager is of course enormous.

Offline amentia

• Boys Pen
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 11:15:34 am »
Well, when Ferguson took over half way through the 1986/87 season, the club had 7 league titles, 1 European Cup (no other Euros) and 6 FA Cups (no league cups). Pretty good, but not even close to the number of cups at the Anfield museum. As John Bishop said; "We have so many cups we use them as egg cups".
Another thing is the fact that things change over time. Back then (1986) people tended to be more patient than they do today. The demand for instant success is huge, and the media doesn't exactly slow down that sensation...
Bear in mind that I am Norwegian. My English may therefore not be as good as yours...

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 11:17:00 am »
The main problem with being a manager at Anfield is the fact that we already had 18 league titles, 4 European Cup titles, 3 UEFA Cup titles, 6 FA Cup titles and 7 League Cup titles at the arrival of Benitez. This leads to a much greater pressure upon a manager at Anfield, than the likes of Ferguson and Wenger were having at the times they took over their respective clubs. In fact; they didn't actually have a history to follow up, which is something all managers succeeding Dalglish has had to deal with...

Not being rude, but how old are you?

When I started watching Liverpool, Arsenal were the most succesful league club with 8 titles and we had 7 along with United & Everton and United were the only team to have won a European Cup. By the time Ferguson took over at United we had won 7 more League titles and 4 European Cups. Over the next 4 seasons he saw Liverpool and Arsenal share another 4 League titles. Ferguson had 20 years of expectation and the weight of history on his back when he took over. If you think he wasn't under pressure you're crazy. Wenger has the pressure that he created by winning 3 titles and a few FA Cups - any manager taking over will need to match that.

If anything the 18 titles, 4 European Cups etc made Liverpool a less pressurised environment for a manager than the others. It's only now that United are in touching distance of our 18 titles that our position as the most successful team in England is under pressure.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:20:08 am by Alan_F »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline OYN

• Main Stander
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 11:24:03 am »
Just superb Paul.

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 11:40:38 am »
Well, when Ferguson took over half way through the 1986/87 season, the club had 7 league titles, 1 European Cup (no other Euros) and 6 FA Cups (no league cups).

Sure, but United were still (wrongly?) perceived as the country's biggest club, because of Busby, Munich, supposed number of fans, the first European Cup, etc. They were the country's "glory" team, even though Liverpool had been better and more successful for 15-20 years.

Ferguson was under massive pressure, as is Benitez now.

Offline Mackinaw Peach

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Wigan address
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 11:57:03 am »
Great read, well argued.

The media lie, spin, hype, and occasionally lick arse to sell copy. Simple as.
Anyone with a bit of knowledge on a subject can see that.

Offline ShanksLad

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #46 on: January 3, 2008, 05:11:28 pm »
Great stuff - Now I feel better....

...until I look at the table.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #47 on: January 4, 2008, 04:26:54 am »

Sure, but United were still (wrongly?) perceived as the country's biggest club, because of Busby, Munich, supposed number of fans, the first European Cup, etc. They were the country's "glory" team, even though Liverpool had been better and more successful for 15-20 years.

Ferguson was under massive pressure, as is Benitez now.

So, you could argue that the respective clubs have well and truly reversed their stance?
« Last Edit: January 4, 2008, 04:29:45 am by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline The Nihilists

• Bovvered
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 4, 2008, 10:21:59 am »

Offline redeagle

• Kopite
  • This world is impermanent
« Reply #49 on: January 4, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »
New blog from Tomkins:

http://www.paultomkins.com/blog_spending_detail.html

good points as always but I don't think anybody disputed the fact rafa hasn't had 20 mil each season to splash on one position.

I like it!