Author Topic: La Liga Thread 2013/14  (Read 315026 times)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: La Liga Thread 2013/14
« Reply #3480 on: March 3, 2014, 03:51:40 am »
^I too think that Madrid's recent investments turned out better than Barca's. Carvajal, Isco, Illarramendi, Jese, Varane and Morata are a very good young team for future. Benzema, Bale and Di Maria aren't old either.

However, Barca's youth academy has some cracking young talents. Jese didn't look better than Deluefeu for Spanish youth NTs, for example, Rafinha is a great talent as well. Montoya, Alba, Busquets, Cesc, Pedro, Bartra, Tello, Messi are young as well. Then, there are another 5-10 really good young talent in La Masia. So Barca aren't worse than Real Madrid in terms of the number or quality of young talent. It is just Barca squad is mentally drained, there is a fatigue from playing and winning year after year non-stop. Hunger is gone. There is also a problem of replacing the old legends. To address these, Barca need a great coach. I am sure Barca will compete with whatever Real Madrid have with a great coach.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3481 on: March 3, 2014, 04:08:11 am »
^I too think that Madrid's recent investments turned out better than Barca's. Carvajal, Isco, Illarramendi, Jese, Varane and Morata are a very good young team for future. Benzema, Bale and Di Maria aren't old either.

However, Barca's youth academy has some cracking young talents. Jese didn't look better than Deluefeu for Spanish youth NTs, for example, Rafinha is a great talent as well. Montoya, Alba, Busquets, Cesc, Pedro, Bartra, Tello, Messi are young as well. Then, there are another 5-10 really good young talent in La Masia. So Barca aren't worse than Real Madrid in terms of the number or quality of young talent. It is just Barca squad is mentally drained, there is a fatigue from playing and winning year after year non-stop. Hunger is gone. There is also a problem of replacing the old legends. To address these, Barca need a great coach. I am sure Barca will compete with whatever Real Madrid have with a great coach.
Agree with all of that.  It might just be this year that they are going to have a dip as Messi looks off his game - he's still playing well but not at the ridiculously high level he is capable of.  Worry for Barca is that Iniesta is 30 and Xavi is 34.  Puyol is 35 and looks past it.  Valdes is leaving.  Unless Barca beat Madrid, I don't think they will win the title this year.  They will need to rebuild in the summer.  Don't know much about the youth players coming through other than Pedro and Tello as we were linked with both.  Pedro is good but nothing amazing.  Could be a good squad player for them though. 

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3482 on: March 3, 2014, 04:19:42 am »
^To me, even just the fact that Barca are only 1 point behind Madrid means how great this team has been. Despite injuries, cancers (Abidal+Tito), loss of motivation and hunger (all of the leaders are playing with little motivation, even Messi), they are still able to go toe-to-toe with one of the most expensive teams in the history of football. Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Modric, Alonso, Di Maria, Ramos, Pepe, Coentrao all cost $$$, and now they also added Illarramendi and Isco for $$$. I know people will say Barca spend too, but Madrid's spending is on another level. Also, their players are hungrier than Barca players because frankly compared to Barca players, most of these guys won little.

As for Pedro being good but not amazing, I think the guy is underrated if I am honest. PSG offered 40-45 million in the past summer. He is at the level of the likes of Di Maria, Cazorla, Mata and Silva. I think he'd be great in England. Alexis, too, will look better in England. These players look worse than they are because of how dysfunctional Barca are currently. Pedro looked superb in Pep's great Barca.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3483 on: March 3, 2014, 08:28:12 am »
As for Pedro being good but not amazing, I think the guy is underrated if I am honest. PSG offered 40-45 million in the past summer. He is at the level of the likes of Di Maria, Cazorla, Mata and Silva. I think he'd be great in England. Alexis, too, will look better in England. These players look worse than they are because of how dysfunctional Barca are currently. Pedro looked superb in Pep's great Barca.

I would love Pedro for Liverpool, really like the way he plays. Not that we need him at the moment  8)
Maybe next year with CL fixtures to fill he'd come in handy...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gordonchas

• Jilted John was right.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3484 on: March 3, 2014, 10:40:43 am »
^To me, even just the fact that Barca are only 1 point behind Madrid means how great this team has been. Despite injuries, cancers (Abidal+Tito), loss of motivation and hunger (all of the leaders are playing with little motivation, even Messi), they are still able to go toe-to-toe with one of the most expensive teams in the history of football. Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Modric, Alonso, Di Maria, Ramos, Pepe, Coentrao all cost $$$, and now they also added Illarramendi and Isco for $$$. I know people will say Barca spend too, but Madrid's spending is on another level. Also, their players are hungrier than Barca players because frankly compared to Barca players, most of these guys won little.

In the last 10 years Barcelona's net transfer spend is 470 million euros. Ok, Madrid's is 700 million, but that 470 million is still an enormously high figure.

Ronaldinho, Marquez, Quaresma, E'too, Deco, Giuli, Gudjohnsen, Thuram, Zambrotta, Henri, Milito, Abidal, Yaya Toure, Dani Alves, Keita, Pique, Hleb, Caceres, Henrique, Chygrynskiy, Ibrahimovic, Villa, Mascherano, Fabregas, Alexis, Jordi Alba, Song, Neymar.  All these were bought for, as you say, Xxavi, $$$.

Barcelona might be less reliant on their holy trinity these days as two of them age, but why do so many people think they're totally reliant on their B-team for new players?

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3485 on: March 3, 2014, 11:13:30 pm »
In the last 10 years Barcelona's net transfer spend is 470 million euros. Ok, Madrid's is 700 million, but that 470 million is still an enormously high figure.

Ronaldinho, Marquez, Quaresma, E'too, Deco, Giuli, Gudjohnsen, Thuram, Zambrotta, Henri, Milito, Abidal, Yaya Toure, Dani Alves, Keita, Pique, Hleb, Caceres, Henrique, Chygrynskiy, Ibrahimovic, Villa, Mascherano, Fabregas, Alexis, Jordi Alba, Song, Neymar.  All these were bought for, as you say, Xxavi, $$$.

Barcelona might be less reliant on their holy trinity these days as two of them age, but why do so many people think they're totally reliant on their B-team for new players?
All teams spend $$$. 470 million euros in 10 years isn't outrageous, some teams have vastly outspend us.

But my point was not that at all. My point is that the current (!) Barca team are still legends. They have faced several (!!!) Real Madrid teams, and are still managing to go toe-to-toe with them despite the empty tank. Madrid have played Robben and Sneijder vs Barca, then Kaka and Ozil, and now Bale and Ronaldo vs this Barca team. I am praising the current Barca team in that comment, which, despite the spending, is mostly Barca's homegrown players. For years, they have managed to do well vs Madrid's 3-4 editions of "world's best 11 bar Barcelona" :D

Offline gordonchas

• Jilted John was right.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3486 on: March 4, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
Anyone noticed that currently leading the 2nd Division is little Eibar - average attendance 2,500.  Sid Lowe posted this image of their 5,000 capacity ground. You! I want to take you to Eibar.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3487 on: March 4, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »
That's proper cool.  Midway between San Sebastian & Bilbao, mountainous region.......very cool
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3488 on: March 4, 2014, 02:24:55 pm »
Puyol retiring?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #3489 on: March 4, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #3490 on: March 4, 2014, 03:19:42 pm »

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3491 on: March 8, 2014, 03:28:51 pm »
Absolutely horrible stuff from Barca so far. Cannot pass the ball 4 yards.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3492 on: March 8, 2014, 03:44:24 pm »
"This underdog with teeth of a walrus"
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #3493 on: March 8, 2014, 04:12:09 pm »

They still struggling? I'm at work so can't watch it but see they're still 1 down

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3494 on: March 8, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »
Midfield has been garbage today an Messi not much better.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3495 on: March 8, 2014, 04:14:04 pm »
They still struggling? I'm at work so can't watch it but see they're still 1 down
Second half has been much better for Barca. Creating some chances, pressuring the opponent.

But Neymar just missed a sitter. Has been very poor this match, Neymar.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2014, 04:18:14 pm by Xxavi »

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3496 on: March 8, 2014, 04:15:11 pm »
Midfield has been garbage today an Messi not much better.
Nobody has been good. Neymar poo, Messi has been very average for his standards, Pedro is coming to life. Defense has been shaky, Busquets misplaced more passes than he probably did in the past 2 months.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3497 on: March 8, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »
Nobody has been good. Neymar poo, Messi has been very average for his standards, Pedro is coming to life. Defense has been shaky, Busquets misplaced more passes than he probably did in the past 2 months.

Mascherano, the only player playing well here imo.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #3498 on: March 8, 2014, 04:17:06 pm »
Second time has been much better for Barca. Creating some chances, pressuring the opponent.

But Neymar just missed a sitter. Has been very poor this match, Neymar.

Cheers mate. Hopefully it stays how it is and Atletico pick up 3 points against Celta!  ;D

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3499 on: March 8, 2014, 04:27:32 pm »
Barca are losing 1-0 and Sergi Roberto is coming on to save us ;D

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3500 on: March 8, 2014, 04:31:20 pm »
Neymar is taken off, Tello on.

As I said before, I want to see Neymar that plays for Brazil. I don't know if Barca style doesn't suit him or what, but his performances have been disappointing considering the hype and price tag. 1-2 great performances, most notably vs Celtic, have been rare bright spots. The guy needs space to run, and with Barca playing style, opponents deny space, so he looks worse than Pedro and Alexis often.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #3501 on: March 8, 2014, 04:41:33 pm »
Valdes leaving, Puyol walking away, possibly Mascherano off as well and Xavi nearing the end, I suppose it is safe to say that Barca needs some rebuilding and a manager that can start the new cycle.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3502 on: March 8, 2014, 04:46:01 pm »
But to be fair, Barca players just returned from international friendlies unlike Valladolid players. Also, it is clear that the pitch is in horrible condition, Barca cannot get their quick passing game on here all game. They need at least 3 touches to make a decent pass. Slows Barca down horribly. I don't know if Valladolid deliberately dried their pitch for this game.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3503 on: March 8, 2014, 04:51:03 pm »
Valladolid are pathetic. 15 seconds left to the end of the game and they fake injury. Fuck's sake.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #3504 on: March 8, 2014, 04:51:19 pm »
But to be fair, Barca players just returned from international friendlies unlike Valladolid players. Also, it is clear that the pitch is in horrible condition, Barca cannot get their quick passing game on here all game. They need at least 3 touches to make a decent pass. Slows Barca down horribly. I don't know if Valladolid deliberately dried their pitch for this game.

I think that's a fair assessment but then again Pep wouldn't have let this team to be increasingly inconsistent.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3505 on: March 8, 2014, 04:52:14 pm »
Tata won't be there next season. There'll probably be elections in the summer as well

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3506 on: March 8, 2014, 04:54:36 pm »
Tata won't be there next season. There'll probably be elections in the summer as well
I doubt that, too. I like Tata, but honestly, he didn't bring anything to this Barca. They could have picked a random coach from La Liga, and he'd do about as good/bad. I just don't know how and why did Tata's candidacy even get considered. I start wondering if the rumors that Messi wanted him is true.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3507 on: March 8, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »
I doubt that, too. I like Tata, but honestly, he didn't bring anything to this Barca. They could have picked a random coach from La Liga, and he'd do about as good/bad. I just don't know how and why did Tata's candidacy even get considered. I start wondering if the rumors that Messi wanted him is true.
you´ve been wondering that from the first minute that he was appointed.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3508 on: March 8, 2014, 05:01:49 pm »

Who would you want as the new coach De Boer, Enrique?

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3509 on: March 8, 2014, 05:02:39 pm »
Valladolid are pathetic. 15 seconds left to the end of the game and they fake injury. Fuck's sake.

Barcelona players would never fake injury to gain an advantage!!!

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3510 on: March 8, 2014, 05:05:31 pm »
Who would you want as the new coach De Boer, Enrique?
Either one is fine, but Ajax' performances in Europa League have worried me a little. I think Enrique's doing a fantastic job with Celta. 11th with a team of youngsters? I like that a lot.

I'd want Enrique as the first choice personally. Then De Boer. Don't any of Klopp nonsense, though. His Borussia plays almost diametrically opposite football to Barcelona. I cannot see how Barca players fit his style. Also, entire Barca academy play like the senior team. No point in such exercise, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2014, 05:08:45 pm by Xxavi »

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #3511 on: March 8, 2014, 05:09:39 pm »

He has actually made them worse. I don't remember Tito or Pep's Barca being that dire 2 games in a row. Very strange appointment and now it's becoming more obvious he should've been nowhere near it.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3512 on: March 8, 2014, 05:09:54 pm »
Either one is fine, but Ajax' performances in Europa League have worried me a little. I think Enrique's doing a fantastic job with Celta. 11th with a team of youngsters? I like that a lot.

I'd want Enrique as the first choice personally. Then De Boer. Don't any of Klopp nonsense, though. His Borussia plays almost diametrically opposite football to Barcelona.

I'm not sure about Enrique i remember Roma there's not really a lot of top class coaches available at the minute and Barca won't go for Bielsa.

Online downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #3513 on: March 8, 2014, 05:10:10 pm »
Not wanting to open a can of worms, but Barca's terrible second half of the season has coincided with Messi's return to fitness. They were doing fine in the league in his absence. What has caused this? Fatigue? Neymar's injury?  Their form lately, is Moyes-esque.

Absolutely baffling how City went down against these without a fight.

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3514 on: March 8, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »
Not wanting to open a can of worms, but Barca's terrible second half of the season has coincided with Messi's return to fitness. They were doing fine in the league in his absence. What has caused this? Fatigue? Neymar's injury?  Their form lately, is Moyes-esque.

Absolutely baffling how City went down against these without a fight.

No doubt in my mind if City had Aguero fit they'd have been a lot less conservative and would of won. Never compare Barca to Moyes lol I think Iniesta being absent a lot of the time has had a big effect Messi has been getting better and was their best forward today but Barcas midfield was as bad as i've ever seen it in the 1st half they couldn't make 5 yard passes worrying.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3515 on: March 8, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »
City could still go there and win on the night, whether they win by enough is another story. If Aguero is back I wouldn't bet against it, can't believe Barca have let slip their grasp on the title.

Martino will have to win a trophy to keep his job now I feel.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3516 on: March 8, 2014, 05:15:56 pm »
Barca managing to lose Thiago so cheaply is up there with United and Pogba for massive fuck ups. He was Xavi's replacement and I'm not sure they will find anyone better to replace him.

The only thing that could save Martino is the Champions League and even then I think barca would replace him if they could get anyone better.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2014, 05:18:16 pm by Chris~ »

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3517 on: March 8, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »
Barca managing to lose Thiago so cheaply is up there with United and Pogba for massive fuck ups. He was Xavi's replacement and I'm not sure they will find anyone better to replace him.

He'll rejoin them in a few years for an outrageous fee but a massive mistake by Tito and the board not playing him enough and triggering the release clause in his contract.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3518 on: March 8, 2014, 05:25:23 pm »
No doubt in my mind if City had Aguero fit they'd have been a lot less conservative and would of won. Never compare Barca to Moyes lol I think Iniesta being absent a lot of the time has had a big effect Messi has been getting better and was their best forward today but Barcas midfield was as bad as i've ever seen it in the 1st half they couldn't make 5 yard passes worrying.

Disagree. One of Barca's problems, and I sincerely believe in this, is that the motivation and hunger of players is gone. The number of Barca players like Valdes and Puyol leaving is another testament to the fact that they need changes, hunger is gone. For occasional big matches in CL, they can do that. Vs ManCity they were always going to do better than vs Real Sociedad or Valladolid. In fact, Barca will do better vs Atletico and Real Madrid, too.

So judgment that Barca were gifted the win vs ManCity, and IF ManCity had this and that is purely speculative at best. Teams raise or drop their performances depending on opponents.

Offline LiamLFC061092

• Main Stander
  • Don't tell me what I can't do.
« Reply #3519 on: March 8, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »
Martino is struggling to accommodate Messi into his tactics which is always a dangerous game to play. If they finish outside the top 2, I don't think he'll be there next season.