Author Topic: Stadium tours being done on 15th April  (Read 3258 times)

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
Stadium tours being done on 15th April
« on: April 15, 2017, 06:27:20 pm »
A friend of mine who I won't name in case anyone from the club reads this, works as a tour guide at Anfield. I was really surprised when he told me he was asked to work today. Obviously this is the first year without a memorial service at Anfield and I assume that in all the years up to now there have been no tours today.

He said that at some point before 3pm the staff were all taken to the memorial and there was a minute's silence at 3.06. Personally I think that stadium tours are the last thing that should be on the club's mind today, and I think that closing the club shop would also be appropriate.

I've emailed the club to express my displeasure over this and to ask that this doesn't happen again in future years. If you agree with me then I'd ask you to do the same - if enough people do then hopefully this won't happen again in future.

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Stadium tours being done on 15th April
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 08:55:59 pm »
A number of people who were family members or survivors mentioned this today. They were deeply unhappy that tours were going on, while they were trying to pay their respects.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »
Don't think it's right at all, the Anfield tour is a celebration of the club, it should be a day of commemoration of the 96. Even if they wanted to keep tours on at least knock it on the head at lunchtime.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:55:50 am »
The club is completely tone deaf at times, you'd think somebody there would say "probably not a good idea this" at some point
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:03:40 am »
Find it weirder that people would actually book or seek to book an Anfield tour on this weekend in any case.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 11:09:41 am »
Anfield should be closed to all commercial activity on April the 15th end of story.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:55:34 am by RedPat »
Kenny Godglish

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 11:26:50 am »
doesn't surprise me one bit.  In my opinion the club has always been selective about what it does around teh disaster, many argue it has done all it could.  For me this is just another slap in the face.
in the immediate years after the disaster the club tried to distance itself more so and rather sickeningly away from the survivors whilst accomadating families.  I remember lads struggling to get to court to give evidence in 1990/91. Reliving all that terror, families even to this day scrimping and saving to pay legal fees, survivors being dismissed by certain families and the club going along with it. The club should have and could have done more, from sticking buckets on teh turnstiles to pay for some of these normal people going through fucking hell. The club just wanted to get on with things and not be associated with any legal/political aspect of the fight for the truth.

To them not acknowledging the HJC, what about Gerry Mac ?a group made up of the people that made this club world famous, just dismissed as unimportant, to the Dunkin Donuts fiasco, to earning a few extra quid on the day when this club/city mourns.

Welcome to Liverpool fc, the club for the man on the street..........but only when the man is paying for tickets and crap in the club shop and a few hotdogs at half time.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 11:57:45 am »
doesn't surprise me one bit.  In my opinion the club has always been selective about what it does around teh disaster, many argue it has done all it could.  For me this is just another slap in the face.
in the immediate years after the disaster the club tried to distance itself more so and rather sickeningly away from the survivors whilst accomadating families.  I remember lads struggling to get to court to give evidence in 1990/91. Reliving all that terror, families even to this day scrimping and saving to pay legal fees, survivors being dismissed by certain families and the club going along with it. The club should have and could have done more, from sticking buckets on teh turnstiles to pay for some of these normal people going through fucking hell. The club just wanted to get on with things and not be associated with any legal/political aspect of the fight for the truth.

To them not acknowledging the HJC, what about Gerry Mac ?a group made up of the people that made this club world famous, just dismissed as unimportant, to the Dunkin Donuts fiasco, to earning a few extra quid on the day when this club/city mourns.

Welcome to Liverpool fc, the club for the man on the street..........but only when the man is paying for tickets and crap in the club shop and a few hotdogs at half time.

Very well put Paul.
Kenny Godglish

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 12:17:46 pm »
Very well put Paul.
shouldnt have to write it really, a rather sad indictment of this club we all love so much. It's when they pop up as the 'look at us Lfc family' bullshit that really fucks me off. In the words of Mark Lawrenson  "can we just get back to the football now please?" that is their attitude.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 12:25:40 pm »
Find it weirder that people would actually book or seek to book an Anfield tour on this weekend in any case.

The sad thing is I don't find it weird at all. Some people on that tour will have had no idea they were there on the anniversary.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 12:28:01 pm »
Not surprising. You really wonder what some people at the club are thinking at times.  :butt
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 12:34:31 pm »
The sad thing is I don't find it weird at all. Some people on that tour will have had no idea they were there on the anniversary.
That's probably true as my hubby (not a red) often accompanied me to the memorial service and once suggested we do the stadium tour at the same time.

Very insensitive from the club that the first year they can, they do and as already said probably never even thought of that insensitivity.

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 01:00:15 pm »
Not surprising. You really wonder what some people at the club are thinking at times.  :butt

It's still a day of sensitivity and I understand the wounds slowly starting to heal but just stop the tours for one day of the year, or even only host them in the mornings.  I do sometimes wonder just how much of it is genuine sentiment for the families and how much of it is just lip service.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 11:31:57 pm »
I was at Hillsborough on that fateful day, and have  no particular problem with stadium tours on the anniversary. Indeed, incorporating a visit to the memorial with fellow fans as a part of that tour, providing a focal point, could suit many.

The whole issue of how the day should be remembered, and what that remembrance should comprise, is not nearly as clear cut as some imagine. I know people directly affected who dread the annual coverage, go abroad on holiday, or who avoid the media, on the days surrounding the anniversary. For others, it is an important public time. Such is the diversity of how people deal with grief.

Time is moving on. How we acknowledge and remember Hillsborough needs to evolve too. We are now a generation away from when match going fans were contemporaries of those who lost their lives and the terrace experience. The nature of remembrance inevitably changes with that. Painful, but inevitable.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 05:59:33 am »
I was at Hillsborough on that fateful day, and have  no particular problem with stadium tours on the anniversary. Indeed, incorporating a visit to the memorial with fellow fans as a part of that tour, providing a focal point, could suit many.

The whole issue of how the day should be remembered, and what that remembrance should comprise, is not nearly as clear cut as some imagine. I know people directly affected who dread the annual coverage, go abroad on holiday, or who avoid the media, on the days surrounding the anniversary. For others, it is an important public time. Such is the diversity of how people deal with grief.

Time is moving on. How we acknowledge and remember Hillsborough needs to evolve too. We are now a generation away from when match going fans were contemporaries of those who lost their lives and the terrace experience. The nature of remembrance inevitably changes with that. Painful, but inevitable.

I go the match with people who are survivors of Leppings Lane, not to mention I've been in cars with people who were in the stand above. Our match-going fans span a great age range and Hillsborough isn't long ago in the grand scheme of things.

The first year there isn't a remembrance service at the ground and they have stadium tours? The shop should be shut at the ground and there should be no tours whatsoever. It's one fucking day, how much money do they need?

Slippery slope to us actually playing a game on the 15th.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.