Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 428052 times)

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #600 on: March 11, 2012, 09:48:45 am »
Right, but the criticisms are still very similar. Those who didn't think he was good enough, didn't think he was good enough as a footballer, regardless of whether he was a volante or an all out DM. I still think we're not using Lucas in a way that maximises his full potential but that's for another thread.

A lot of criticisms for Henderson comes from him playing RM and not cause people think he completely shit.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: March 11, 2012, 10:02:52 am »
A lot of criticisms for Henderson comes from him playing RM and not cause people think he completely shit.

Actually the whole point is of our terrible scouting. We brought him as the solution for our right hand flank but we quickly released he really does not have the qualities needed of a winger. So we choose the "safer" option of him being deployed in the central midfield. Clearly, it has been our mistake at first in buying him and secondly, another mistake in continue to play him despite some other options on the bench.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:28 am »
Why can't Gerrard play off right hand side of lone striker? and Suarez left? then play Jonjo, Spearing and Henderson in middle. not only would this help us keep Gerrard in final third where he is at his best it stop him trying to do everything.

Thing is Gerrard still our best player irrespective of where he plays on the pitch. He plays on the left hand side, there is more action from the left. He plays as a DM, we look more solid as a defensive unit and similar as a AM. And probably Kenny trusts him more than Henderson, Adam as being our best defensive midfielder option.( aka Alonso role)

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: March 11, 2012, 10:09:55 am »
Thing is Gerrard still our best player irrespective of where he plays on the pitch. He plays on the left hand side, there is more action from the left. He plays as a DM, we look more solid as a defensive unit and similar as a AM. And probably Kenny trusts him more than Henderson, Adam as being our best defensive midfielder option.( aka Alonso role)

True but it steam game and for better of team he should not play CM/DM can't stand he taking balls of CB/keeper,he needs to be final third.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: March 11, 2012, 10:12:30 am »
Actually the whole point is of our terrible scouting. We brought him as the solution for our right hand flank but we quickly released he really does not have the qualities needed of a winger. So we choose the "safer" option of him being deployed in the central midfield. Clearly, it has been our mistake at first in buying him and secondly, another mistake in continue to play him despite some other options on the bench.

At  Sunderland he played as 3 man midfield yes it was right side of 3 but not RM, then he played off striker when they had whole striker issues.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #605 on: March 11, 2012, 10:14:15 am »
But the difference is big as well, Lucas was really playing to the injuries and we had really no options on the bench. Now Henderson, he is starting every next match despite the likes of Maxi, Shevley on the bench and not given a chance at all. This is the main concern. How did Henderson getting a chance to perform over the likes of them, is it only because of the price tag?

You're right and this is the point I've alluded to. We are running a team to vindicate signings. Henderson shouldn't be on the right. If we have chosen Adam to be our central midfielder then we have better options on the right. Kuyt and Maxi being the main two, with the option of Gerrard and perhaps Johnson there as well.

The main debate around Henderson is stop wasting him on the right and give him a chance while Adam is struggling, and get Maxi on the right who is influential.

Remember Biscan? Promising young captain of his previous team (much like Alonso years later in that regard), technically astute footballer who when he got here was thrown at centre back, right back and other bizarre positions. I think he even had a stint out on the wing. Yet when he played in his proper position he cearly showed he had footballing traits. Despite him walking out on Croatia in 2003, he was recalled based on his performances for Liverpool in the CL and our good run of form.

I'm not saying Biscan would ever be as good as Alonso here, what I'm saying is that we can easily ruin players by fannying about with them, despite them having clear abilities in other areas.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #606 on: March 11, 2012, 10:26:53 am »

Some of them have and have at least been balanced but:

Another overrated english player who we will probably end up selling for 2 mill in a couple of years times when it become absolutely clear that he is another rubbish player.

Henderson is shocking mate. Don't care how young.

Utter Shite again no surprises a very very average young british player. hundreds more like him Sunderland must be laughing there Co*ks off that they got nearly 20 million for him! Bottler of the highest order! Thick Geordie hope he stays up there tnite

a captain has to have a pair of bollocks and not be afraid of the ball like this joker.

And that's just from after 5.00pm yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:31:52 am by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline liverpoolfan1

• Kopite
« Reply #607 on: March 11, 2012, 10:29:40 am »
Some of them have and have at least been balanced but:

And that's just after 5.00pm yesterday.

That is quite harsh. Personally I also feel he is wasted on the right but I have faith in him to come good playing through the middle.

Also it's funny Fordy criticising him. Isn't he the one who has backed Charlie Adam to the hilt?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are."

Bill Shankly

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: March 11, 2012, 10:38:32 am »
Hazell,

Did you answer my questions I put to yesterday?

Or you still on that fence?

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: March 11, 2012, 10:39:33 am »
People getting on his back just don't understand football.

I mean it's normal for fans to have a difference of opinion but if you can't see his ability or the subtle things that he does so well, there's not much else that can be said.

I'm not saying he's playing amazingly well and is the best player on the field, I'm just saying there are so many things he is doing right that people don't pick up on.

It's Lucas all over again. Although different positions, neither does the flashy stuff but what they do is still vital to the team.

Eventually the masses will understand. Thankfully Lucas had the character to put up with all the shit until the masses understood.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #610 on: March 11, 2012, 10:40:28 am »
Henderson is the right player signed at the wrong stage of his development for the wrong price and for the wrong position.

The club should haev swooped for him 3-4 seasons ago at a much lower price and developed him in the reserves and on loan. And then use him as a central midfielder.

As a current first team player however the way he is right now, he is not ready to be in our first team.
He's not ready to start for the first team? Who's ready then? Because yesterday he was the only player in the hall team that could pass to a red shirt with any consistency.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: March 11, 2012, 10:40:55 am »
Hazell,

Did you answer my questions I put to yesterday?

Or you still on that fence?

I did and spent a whole lot of time doing it. It's a pity you didn't bother to read it.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #612 on: March 11, 2012, 10:42:37 am »
People getting on his back just don't understand football.

I mean it's normal for fans to have a difference of opinion but if you can't see his ability or the subtle things that he does so well, there's not much else that can be said.

I'm not saying he's playing amazingly well and is the best player on the field, I'm just saying there are so many things he is doing right that people don't pick up on.

It's Lucas all over again. Although different positions, neither does the flashy stuff but what they do is still vital to the team.

Eventually the masses will understand. Thankfully Lucas had the character to put up with all the shit until the masses understood.

Please, tell me what you think these are? Not having a go, just curious.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #613 on: March 11, 2012, 10:48:46 am »
I genuinely think, that with this lad, he's one of those players that those who play with him appreciate a lot. He does some subtle stuff very well. Perhaps his lack of showstopping performances have some complaining, but I rate him. He's captain of the U21's. A lot of those players who he shares that stage with are nowhere near their first teams in comparison to Henderson. Briggs at Fulham, Dawson at WBA and Lansbury at Arsenal to name a few. He's capable.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: March 11, 2012, 10:51:42 am »
I did and spent a whole lot of time doing it. It's a pity you didn't bother to read it.

I had to go out but I will read.

Sorry for asking but normally do sit on that fence.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #615 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:23 am »
Trapping the ball? Passing it to a team mate? Moving?
But yeah that's probably overrated. We only need a more clinical finisher and all of our problems will be resolved.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:01:39 am by Lastrador »

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:26 am »
I had to go out but I will read.

Sorry for asking but normally do sit on that fence.

No I don't.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #617 on: March 11, 2012, 10:53:45 am »
decent lad with the right attitude and has potential to be a good player.

Has played far too often early in his Liverpool career like Lucas did, but hopefully will improve like the latter over time
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline ChristophLFC

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #618 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:37 am »
henderson vs sunderland

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zfJpQWYyxlc?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zfJpQWYyxlc?version=3</a>

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:10 am »
All Summer, all the word from people that were behind this signing (and had patently never see him play) was that he would be our Houghton. Downing would give us width on the left and Jordan would tuck in on the right.

After seeing him play all season. now everyone says he should be in the center. Not becaise he's anything special there, but because he's absolutely woeful on the right.

Another great piece of Liverpool FC transfer business. We spend years needing a real alternative to Dirk Kuyt on the right wing and we end up with a player who. again, looks absolutely woeful there.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:47 am »
I genuinely think, that with this lad, he's one of those players that those who play with him appreciate a lot. He does some subtle stuff very well. Perhaps his lack of showstopping performances have some complaining, but I rate him. He's captain of the U21's. A lot of those players who he shares that stage with are nowhere near their first teams in comparison to Henderson. Briggs at Fulham, Dawson at WBA and Lansbury at Arsenal to name a few. He's capable.

I by no means wish to denigrate Henderson but being captain of the under 21's is no indication of ability. David Prutton was captain of the U21's but is now at Sheffield Wednesday. David Wheater was captain at one point as well. I'm not saying it means he won't turn out to be a top player, but that it isn't really an indicator.

I'm sure plenty of great players have captained the U21's as well, but it shouldn't be used as a way of saying the player has a greater likelihood of being good enough for a top 4 side.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: March 11, 2012, 11:04:08 am »
Shelvey does need more games but instead of who? He isn't a CM jordan is better there , Jonjo is more like Gerrard than Alonso so were is he going To play in our formations?

I'd use Spearing and Henderson as a CM pair tasked with doing the basic midfield things (defending the midfield and link up play), and put Shelvey ahead of them in the 3 in a 4231 style distribution. I don't see Adam improving his midfield play as his weaknesses now are exactly the same as those I noted a year ago, and he's not of an age where he can be expected to change radically. Adam should be competing for a place in the 3, but I'd give Shelvey a place ahead of him because of a higher potential ceiling and negligible difference in current ability. Oh, and this summer, we need to strengthen the holding area like mad.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: March 11, 2012, 11:05:22 am »
No I don't.

Ok read you post.

You say he would suit a more aggressive game but how can a shithouse(know you don't like that) suit a more aggressive game? 

Also you talk about potential - but for me you're basing that on age and not quality. As I say not ever player will be like Lucas.

I've seen Henderson in CM a number of times and he isn't good enough - just runs about. To be be fair to the lad he can play the killer ball from time to time but overall he isn't good enough and never will be.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: March 11, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
Utterly rubbish,

Not good/fast enough to play as a winger and does not have the intelligence to play as a center midfield.

Why did we buy him?

Reminds me of Terry Mac when he arrived - didnt turn out to bad did he.

FFS the support these days is a joke

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: March 11, 2012, 11:08:43 am »
Reminds me of Terry Mac when he arrived - didnt turn out to bad did he.

FFS the support these days is a joke

If we base everything on hope then we will be a bottom half team soon.

Offline socrates the sophist

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #625 on: March 11, 2012, 11:11:20 am »
I rate Henderson highly. I also I'm part of the group who say he must play in the middle. I think that we are falsely blaming the players performances for the team;s performances when the problem has more to do with our approach to matches and style of play.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #626 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:29 am »

I really dont know how people can't see the potential in him.

Look at the 1 touch passing, the awareness of space and where people are, the movement once he's moved the ball.

But then there arent any stats for that kind of stuff.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: March 11, 2012, 11:20:24 am »
If we base everything on hope then we will be a bottom half team soon.

My point is because a young player doesn't perform to the standards that are expected week in week out does not mean to say he is shit.

Lucas endured the wrath of fans for a few years - now they miss him.

Henderson is a good player and has the potential to be a great player, he was bought for the future - working with Gerrard for a year or two then developing into his position at the club.

What better education than working with Kenny and Gerrard ?

Offline tax_man

• Kopite
« Reply #628 on: March 11, 2012, 11:24:27 am »
HE'S 21 YEARS OLD. He's being relied upon as a starter all the time when he shouldn't be due to injuries and the sheer averageness of everyone else. He's not the finished article, far from it. Give him a fucking chance. Depressing this thread.

Offline Jimmyjames

• Main Stander
« Reply #629 on: March 11, 2012, 11:25:43 am »

Look at the 1 touch passing, the awareness of space and where people are, the movement once he's moved the ball.

just a shame that he can't do two of the things we thought his substantial salary was going on, you know like fuckin score or setting a goal up. got promise for sure but right now we need game winners and Henderson (others included)  is not that type of player.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: March 11, 2012, 11:26:09 am »

One thing I can't understand is why managers buy players to play them out of position. If we needed a right winger, why not just buy a right winger?

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: March 11, 2012, 11:26:22 am »

Watched the lad live many, many times and for me. Thought it was a poor signing by us. He is a squad player at best.

Yes he can keep it simple and his movement is ok. However that's it he is simple - he doesn't have the drive, strength, ability, mindset, range of passing, skill.

Move him to CM it makes no difference.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:17 am »
HE'S 21 YEARS OLD. He's being relied upon as a starter all the time when he shouldn't be due to injuries and the sheer averageness of everyone else. He's not the finished article, far from it. Give him a fucking chance. Depressing this thread.

The manager bought him for 17 or 20 million to be a first team player so he needs to be judged as a first team player. We happily allowed Merieles and Aquilani to leave so we were perfectly happy for him to be a regular in our team in midfield before the season started.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #633 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:53 am »
He doesn't need a chance. He has been our better midfielder for the hall season. HE'S NOT THE FUCKING PROBLEM.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:33:24 am by Lastrador »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: March 11, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
Not rubbish, but certainly shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. For me the best midfield we could have had at the start of the season would have been Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles... with Aquilani as backup to Gerrard/Meireles, and Henderson blooded into the squad over the season. That's about where I'd place him atm.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #635 on: March 11, 2012, 11:33:28 am »
Watched the lad live many, many times and for me. Thought it was a poor signing by us. He is a squad player at best.

Yes he can keep it simple and his movement is ok. However that's it he is simple - he doesn't have the drive, strength, ability, mindset, range of passing, skill.

Move him to CM it makes no difference.

Im not going to get in to it with you. The hypocrisy you've shown with defending Adam and slagging Henderson is incredible.

How many times have I seen you defend Adam by saying "The midfield isn't the problem, we can't score".

Seems the party line changes when you want to slate Henderson.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #636 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:51 am »
Not rubbish, but certainly shouldn't be a guaranteed starter. For me the best midfield we could have had at the start of the season would have been Lucas, Gerrard, Meireles... with Aquilani as backup to Gerrard/Meireles, and Henderson blooded into the squad over the season. That's about where I'd place him atm.
Genius, too bad that two of those players aren't Liverpool players anymore and the other one is out for the season, still genius that.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: March 11, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
Genius, too bad that two of those players aren't Liverpool players anymore and the other one is out for the season, still genius that.

Actually believe it or not Aquilani is still a Liverpool player (as is Joe Cole btw), but yeah.

My sarcasm detector is a bit off, but assuming you haven't taken too kindly to where I placed Henderson?

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: March 11, 2012, 11:45:04 am »
He's a pass and move player. He keeps it simple so that the team keeps possession. Players like him are vital since they enable the flair players to take the risks and go for the impossible. His movement also creates the space for others to attack. He's good at linking the back to the front.

I'm amazed how often he passes it first or second touch. Passing it first time makes the pass so much harder to complete but he's very good at it. Using the ball quickly makes such a difference to an attack, whether sustained or on the counter. It's very difficult to create when each player takes four, five, six touches to do something with the ball. That's all the time the defense needs to stay organised. If you don't have players that can dribble through a defense and don't intend on a long ball approach, moving the ball around quickly is a great way to manipulate the defense and get them out of position. Slowing it down just gives them time to reorganise. I think his quick passing goes unnoticed because he's the only one doing it. He'll use the ball quickly and move but then whoever else gets the ball will often take his sweet time and it's all for nothing. He would be more eye catching if there was a midfield full of pass and move players like he is. As it is, his teammates often kill the tempo of the move.

He plays with the brain of a 30 year old whilst some his older teammates think like a 21 year old.

A common criticism is that he's invisible during games. I haven't looked at stats to confirm my "eye test" perception but I don't think he's receiving the ball drastically less than other players. What I've been wondering is that maybe because he uses the ball so quickly, people forget he's even been involved in the build up? Player A takes 5 touches before passing it to Henderson who passes it first time to player B. Player B then takes 5 touches before doing something with the ball. If you aren't concentrating, maybe you just remember players A and B since they were on the ball much longer? I don't know - just a theory. ???

Although he's not really a great tackler, I think he's vital to our defensive structures. He has a Kuyt-esque engine on him. The boy just fucking chases everything! Now pressing/containing is a whole topic on it's own - when to press, when to stay compact, defensive line height etc - but look how much work he does without the ball. So often you'll see a player sprinting off to press the ball carrier and it will be Henderson. Like I say, he's not strictly the best tackler but his mere presence plays an important role in stopping the opposition from creating a chance. He doesn't have to win the ball to have made a positive impact and thwarted the threat.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: March 11, 2012, 11:49:20 am »
IMO, it is the management's fault for buying the wrong pieces of the puzzle. Carroll, Downing and Adam should play together BUT not in his Liverpool team which Kenny is building (if I'm reading it right). Downing is your 70s winger who hugs the byline and crosses the ball. Get the drift? Same too for Carroll and Adam. I'm not being a snob here and that kind of football does have a place but I don't think that's how Kenny wants the team to play. The way we played against Arsenal at Anfield would be the way Kenny wants us to play, i.e. pass and move the ball with purpose and poise.

Henderson fits into the pass and move football quite well. We have seen glimpses of what he can do especially his short- to mid range passes. I reckon he can play "the hole" well and given experience, he can become a really good player