Author Topic: There's some mice in my kitchen what am i gonna do?  (Read 13370 times)

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
Re: There's some mice in my kitchen what am i gonna do?
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 12:44:54 pm »
thanks for this richie.  do you use the manual version or the electric version?

I used the manual ones as we had them around a chicken coop and in the back garden. As long as they're on a wall (rather than in the middle of a room / garden) and baited well then they seem to catch instantly. I never review purchases, but I was so pleased I reviewed those.

The real difficult ones to catch we got a victor box like trap and we bait that up with a bit of fatty meat. Always one in overnight.

Im conscious that there was a shit load of mice outside the house and didn't want them coming in. I've at least made a dent in the numbers.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 03:35:13 pm »
Oh damn this is hell ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 03:37:47 pm »
a jazzy recess 

This phrase tickled me.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2017, 08:57:18 am »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 12:14:27 pm »
Had similar problem in our first house. Feckers came out and pranced about.

In my opinion - and what I did, is to find the point(s) of entry, otherwise the little bastards will just come back - also, had the same fear of them dying in the walls and stinking the place up/attracting more eebil vermin, so poison was out.

Long story short, had an exterminator come over. Helped localizing where they came in. Thankfully/luckily it was only one room. Stripped it from the inside out, rebuilt it from outside and in - now added with some super-duper mesh thingie. Never heard from them again.

Bonus points; a good DIY power boost and a proper amount of manly-man points from Mrs Yc.

Hope the council sorts it out Hass, still, I'm going for the point of entry idea...
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2017, 01:21:39 pm »
I hate these little bastards. They always give you a shock because they scuttle in and out of your vision so quickly. I was living abroad a while back and I spotted one in my house one month before the end of the tenancy. It ran into my bathroom so I closed the door to isolate the problem. No matter what I did the little twat wouldn't die. I swear it was feeding on the poison I laid for one month and it still was alive when I was leaving. Either the poison was terrible or it was some sort of super mouse. They are harder to kill than you would imagine. A friend of mine also recommended glue traps but I'm not sure what type of glue you use.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2017, 03:14:32 pm »
Make a chili or a nice spag bog of course.

ohh Mice!!

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2017, 05:25:17 pm »
wife has opted to freelance this. 

we have some of the victor traps.

what are the most successful bait options?

big shout for peanut butter.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2017, 05:26:26 pm »
They're absolute fiends for Nutella or other branded chocolate spreads

might have a go at mixing nutella with some peanut butter.

reeces pieces vibes.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2017, 07:09:19 pm »
We live on the edge of farmland and are pestered by the little buggers.
Nutella is the king of baits for us; works every time  :)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2017, 08:22:37 pm »
Dairy lea spread cheese is good, something sticky and messy that doesn't come away in one piece. Stick it on the old fashioned spring trap , watch yer fingers putting it down along mouse highway and wait for the noise. In the past I would set 5 a night and catch 3 quite chunky meeses. We had them coming in to eat the dog food, which may explain their healthy size.
Also be careful your kids hamster doesn't escape his exercise ball and end up finding the trap before you find him.
RIP salt.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:46 pm »
Oh and make sure you check them daily. Didnt realise one had gone off and it was horror film stuff inside.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:10 am »
so peanut butter was a fail last night.  giving nutella a spin tonight.

wife has asked me to cancel the council coming as she feels this is a battle we can win ourselves.

i'm impressed at her 'prepare for war' vibes and am going along with it.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 12:41:44 pm »
We live on the edge of farmland and are pestered by the little buggers.

I had the same thing in a previous house. Was always worse in autumn and start of winter as the farms cut their fields. Got pretty accustomed to catching them. Manual trap with peanut butter. Normally heard them under the floor boards or in the wall cavities but caught them in loft.

They never really ventured into the living space of the house. Except for 1 mouse that appeared about 2 weeks before I was selling the house. Would come into the living room and dining area and eat stuff. Literally anything. Made holes in the wool carpet. Ripped all the seat covers from the dining room table. Little fucker ever ate/destroyed the buttons on my TV remote control. Was literally laying 5 traps a night in a small area and not catching him/her. Even had those ultrasound sensors that are meant to act as a deterrent . Nothing stopped it. Managed to move before I caught the little fucker. Think the new house owners had a cat. That's the only way I could imagine you could catch this super mouse. Had visions of the new neighbours coming down in the morning and seeing their cat beaten black and blue by this mouse!

Good luck with this anyway Hass. Hopefully they aren't relatives of the mouse I had in mine.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 01:27:28 pm »
This is a question without an answer.......but anyway.

I reckon that in 3 months I've caught 20 mice in traps around the garden. I am surrounded by fields so I'm not panicking too much.........but how many feckers can there possibly be??? I've taken down 20+ and they're still getting caught at a current rate of one per night. There must be some sort of critical mass where they then start to go away.

Offline Semi Skimmed

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »
We had one in the wifes car recently. I was convinced it was rats due to the mess and stuff it ate through, thank fuck it wasn't, a whole other ball game those. Surrounded by fields so get the odd one now and again, peanut butter and old spring traps always work, thankfully that's all it took in the car too, he'd got in behind the glovebox.

Fella at work told me if it was rats, or if I couldn't get them out for some reason, he could get ferrets in as he'd used them before for someone (he works with cars). Apparently they are vicious buggers, and will always flush them out, but he said it would be a last resort as if they piss in your car it's a horrendous smell that's very hard to shift.

Took the wife about a month before she would go near the car again.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 05:18:09 pm »
This is a question without an answer.......but anyway.

I reckon that in 3 months I've caught 20 mice in traps around the garden. I am surrounded by fields so I'm not panicking too much.........but how many feckers can there possibly be??? I've taken down 20+ and they're still getting caught at a current rate of one per night. There must be some sort of critical mass where they then start to go away.

20 in 3 months is nothing. There'll be hundreds of them. In hree months, the young will have had young ones themselves. They first breed at about 7 weeks old and pregnancy is about 3 weeks. They have about 10 pubs per litter.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2017, 06:17:15 pm »
We caught 17 in a week including two in one trap, we sprinkled flour on the trap so the little buggers have to get on it properly. They eventually moved out.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2017, 02:07:26 pm »
We caught 17 in a week including two in one trap, we sprinkled flour on the trap so the little buggers have to get on it properly. They eventually moved out.
Forgive my ignorance but how does the flour thing work? It's not a technique I've come across before.

Offline Shazz

• Boutros Boutros Shazz, negotiator of world peace. Got the hump. Looking forward to 1,500 pennies from 24/7.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Happy Hump Day
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:21 pm »
^

We started off with cheese but that would be eaten and no mouse caught so someone told us to just sprinkle flour onto the trap
so that the mouse would get onto the trap properly and bingo, mouse caught. Worked for us.
http://www.voteswap.org/     

Get them out!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2017, 04:13:23 pm »
Also be careful your kids hamster doesn't escape his exercise ball and end up finding the trap before you find him.

RIP salt.

;D

Very sorry to read that but it did make me laugh

RIP Salt

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 02:12:15 pm »
If you can get some, Sorexa D worked really well for us. Mice love it!

We used it to bait a humane trap and relocated them (13 in total) -it's a weak poison that kills the mice slowly over time, but you could equally use it on a normal trap - little feckers went mad for it.

You used a live catching trap to relicate them, but still poisoned them to kill them? Why?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 08:57:35 pm »
so hackney council turned up anyway - wife had actually wanted to cancel them as it was her birthday.

they have laid more traps and poison too but where my boys can't get to it.

still no casualties but i'm expecting some kind of bodycount in the morning.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2017, 10:21:59 am »
What's the latest?! Strangely Enjoying this thread

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2017, 10:12:18 pm »
What's the latest?! Strangely Enjoying this thread

currently downwind of a dead mouse under the living room floorboards. not a bundle of laughs.

so far they have ignored four different traps and still active in the kitchen.

skirting board permanently displaced by new dishwasher is allowing the little swine into the kitchen.

more poison shall be deployed there shortly.

will confirm any visible kill with photographic evidence.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #65 on: August 1, 2017, 08:33:40 am »
second visit from hackney council today.  more poison laid as it would appear they have been feasting on the stuff we put under the stairs.

definite signs of improvement ie no mice spotted for a few days; still a sink under living room floorboards.

he's back again in two weeks when, hopefully, this pestilence shall be at an end.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2017, 03:04:33 pm »
so the council have now visited three times.  this is all you get for you £118.  they were surprised the mice were still rampant and literally devouring the poision.

it definitely hasn't worked as a mouse just scooted out from under my desk.

time to invest in cat - what should i be looking for in a feline killing machine?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2017, 03:13:49 pm »
Something quick and that still has claws.

See if you can bring around some of the progeny of Towser the world record mouser for Glenturret Distillery, estimated that Towser killed nearly 30,000 mice during her tenure.

If a Cat is still not a go, Send the missus out for a day on the town, hide all vases and pottery, then get Son Number One a Wrist Rocket and some pebbles.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »
we had a couple in our place last year.

2 humane traps with either chocolate or peanut butter in and both trapped within a few hours.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 3, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
Give it an all mighty whack with a shovel and flatten it then nail it to the front door as a warning to the others.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:04 am »
FIRST BLOOD.  will post a pic when my phone recharges.

wife gave a single trap a go last night using a tiny piece of some marmalade chocolate from wales.

worked a treat and we have our first dead mouse.

was still warm when i wrapped him in a tissue and chucked him in the bin.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2017, 09:55:57 am »
FIRST BLOOD.  will post a pic when my phone recharges.

wife gave a single trap a go last night using a tiny piece of some marmalade chocolate from wales.

worked a treat and we have our first dead mouse.

was still warm when i wrapped him in a tissue and chucked him in the bin.

At least he/she went out eating something no other mouse has eaten. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 03:01:31 pm »
At least he/she went out eating something no other mouse has eaten. 

death row dinner.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2017, 04:12:17 pm »
Hipster Mice. Had to be ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:27 am »

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2017, 10:23:24 am »
here's the little fucker just before i dropped him in the bin.

still warm.  could hear his mates squealing under the stairs.

one came back last night and ate the chocolate out of the trap.

clearly old school traps work.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2017, 10:55:34 am »
Looks like a rat lad !!!
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:07 am »
If the tail was hairless, it's a rat, probably.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2017, 11:09:01 am »
that's a rat, get someone out immmmmmeeediately before they eat all your stashed coats.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2017, 11:50:46 am »
The rah mice are tiny aren't they? Looks like a rat to me too. His parents are going to be miffed with you!