Author Topic: The Transfer committee - It's time to talk about this  (Read 7515 times)

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
The Transfer committee - It's time to talk about this
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:42:42 pm »
It's time to discuss this. Looking at the squad tonight it looks totally unbalanced but worse  of all there's seemingly no rhyme or reason to to our transfer moves.

Just look at this list.

Lambert - can't get a game, unfancied.
Ballotelli - probably won't play again, massive gamble and used in my opinion wrongly.
Markovic - what's his position? What does he do? What's he supposed to bring?
Sakho - unfancied
Borini - unwanted.
Lovren - over priced and a seemingly replacement for Sakho
Can - unproven and not trusted ahead of Gerrard who plays every game at 35 years of age
Sahin - never used, unfancied.

I just don't get it. I'm not sure what the plan is or why these players fall out of favour. The team is stuck in a formation that doesn't suit the personnell, we look slow, devoid of ideas and lack confidence and Brendan himself doesn't know what to do.

Why didn't we in est in some proven quality? Where's Valdes? Where's the strikers we need? Where's the dm we've cried out for for three seasons.

I think the transfer committee whoever the fuck they are have wasted millions of pounds so far and have let the supporters down in a big way.

And this is. I knee jerk after Madrid, they are far far superior. This is something g that's bugged me for a while and that feels like we are reaping what we sow. Poor investment, poor choices, no real return.

In short not good enough really
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Transfer committee - It's time to talk about this
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:52 pm »
I'd suggest that right after a match like this is not the best time to discuss anything if you hope to have a remotely reasonable debate...

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:43:57 pm »
Patience!
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:45:13 pm »
We've gone and done it again.

2nd place brings a curse.

It brings false belief, it brings the wrong signings.

We had a chance to go WC. But we didn't, and a lot of fans on here prefered quantity over quality.

We've done it again.

It's laughable our defence is worse than last yr

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:06 pm »
We've basicaly done a Tottenham.

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:52 pm »
There absolutely useless still living off that Coutinho/Sturridge window. Pissed away £115m, top level is all about top quality players they make the difference. 3/4 players for that spend is better is better than 9 or 10 ok players.

Offline wellred99

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:47:31 pm »
Just out of interest how much did we spend in the summer and how much do you think we still have to spend from the Suarez money? I know what people are going to say. We need 2-3 proven players but we always say that and we never get them in.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:47:54 pm »

It's pretty obvious we're struggling without Suarez (and Sturridge) and we're putting a huge amount of pressure on Henderson, Coutinho and Sterling to produce our attacking identity whilst really struggling for leadship at the back.  I don't think it's the time to criticise everything though. If it's been bugging you for that long the time to talk about it would've been after we'd beaten Newcastle 2-1 end of last season. Instead you've chosen to do it after we've been schooled by the best side in europe and one that beat Bayern Munich last year 4-0 way from home.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »
There's a debate to be had re this but as someone posted maybe not tonight as it'll be full of one line frustrated posts.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
The time to talk about this is after a 3-0 home loss against the european champions... oh and by the way it's October and we're 2 months into the season... but yeah this is the time to talk about the transfer committee

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 09:48:05 pm »
The original post was probably typed before the 90 were up haha

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 09:48:15 pm »
We've sold the 3rd best player in the world, spent well over £100million and not brought in a single world class player.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 09:48:40 pm »
There's nothing wrong with bringing this up and it's not about patience, it's about smart moves and a plan moving forward we don't look like we've done that.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 09:49:51 pm »
This committee clearly doesn't work, but it's not the committee who set us up defensively, neglect the basics and ignore defensive midfielders.

Whoever scouted Mignolet should be out of a job because he's the opposite to what Rodgers asked for, so i'd have sympathy for the manager there getting let down by the scouts.

Balotelli was a panic buy all round.

The Sakho situation is ridiculous and led to Rodgers going all out for Lovren who is making things worse.

There's nobody at the club who can think strategically with transfers. We're reactive not proactive.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 09:50:08 pm »
This really is nothing new. We've been making notoriously bad transfers for years, with the occasional gem being brought. We then have the cheek to moan about the likes of City and Chelsea spending as much as they do.

Let's be honest for the amount we've spent over the years we really should be in a better position. And this is no knee jerk.

Offline tax_man

• Kopite
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 09:50:11 pm »
Seem to remember the Summer Transfer Forum being full of people praising the latest window. So I'm not sure about getting the pitch forks out just yet.

Balotelli and Lambert to replace Suarez was a huge mistake. Other than that though I'm ok with it. Lot of young players who will improve. Lallana has been good. Lovren isn't a bad player, we just have a coach who for better or worse doesn't seem to know how to instruct defenders.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 09:50:12 pm »
There's nothing wrong with bringing this up and it's not about patience, it's about smart moves and a plan moving forward we don't look like we've done that.

Actually it's all about patience and having the belief in the team (on and off the pitch) that got us to 2nd place last season and has improved the team every six month block he's beenhere.

It's now November and most of you want to throw them under the bus.

Not for me soz

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 09:50:26 pm »

Spot on WM.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:06 pm »
I've asked a question. What are these players bringing to the team? Why are they unfancied and unused?

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:31 pm »
I could see this being locked but for what it's worth let's not completely write off Balotelli until he's played alongside Sturridge in a front two, eh? He obviously has talent, enough to succeed here if used correctly imo

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:44 pm »
Suarez scored the most goals in Europe last season. We replaced him with big money signings Balotelli, Lallana, and Markovic. None of which are goal scorers. Now we're struggling to score goals, mad that.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:26 pm »
I've bored everyone senseless talking about this for weeks. I'll leave it tonight, Walshy mate.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »
Seem to remember the Summer Transfer Forum being full of people praising the latest window. So I'm not sure about getting the pitch forks out just yet.

I remember a lot of people having concerns, but being shouted down.

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 09:54:27 pm »
I remember a lot of people having concerns, but being shouted down.

Replacing Suarez's goals with all these different players was a particularly grating mantra.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 09:54:45 pm »
The thing that really puzzles me is why get rid of a player like Agger and replace him with Lovren, who for all intents and purposes, doesn't look half the player Agger is? Then there was the obvious and blatant problems we had with our central midfield last season, particularly in the defensive side of it. Two transfer windows in, and we're still seeing the same problems there. It's crazy.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »
The committee hadn't been set up when Borini and Sahin came in. Can was injured in between the International breaks as well, so probably why he's not played much. Lambert's played about as much as you'd expect for a third choice striker as well.

Lallana, Moreno and Manquillo have all been good, Origi, Markovic and Can clearly all bought with not just this season in mind as well.

Also think it's quite clear we want to go after quite a few u23 players and hope that they develop under us, knowing we can't go out and buy a ready made Yaya Toure or Fabregas for whatever reason.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 09:55:20 pm »
Funny list. Where are all the successes and why aren't they being talked about if you really want a fair appraisal?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »
Here we go panic panic wah wah.

Liverpool fans eh?

-------

not my words

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 09:55:35 pm »
Borini and Sahin were bought and loaned, respectively before the transfer committee were in place.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 09:55:58 pm »
We need to either bin the committee and let the manager get the players he wants or get a manager who's happy to work with the players the committee gets. Right now, we're just pissing money down the drain and making it impossible to get to the next level.

Offline lastbaron

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 09:56:28 pm »
Can and Markovic, it's too early to judge. I don't think Sakho is unfancied, i think he will win his place in the first team once he is 100% fit. I can't understand Lovren yet, he has to cope with players easily strolling through our midfield, but truth is his positioning isn't very good. Lambert is adequate for a backup striker. Balotelli is a signing that infuriated me,  i think he is not good enough even for a mid-table Greek league side.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 09:56:48 pm »
Least we aren't the Mancs or Arsenal though eh.

Btw I don't see anything wrong with the Moreno, Markovic or Can purchases as well as Manquillo deal.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:00:06 pm by The G in Gerrard »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 09:57:03 pm »
The majority were fine, and I maintain that.

I will never, ever understand or comprehend the thinking (or quite clearly, lack of) that suggested it was wise to sign Lambert AND Balotelli, and no back up for Sturridge. Someone should be sacked for that. It has been pretty clear from before he signed that Rodgers didn't remotely fancy him.

Lovren isn't shite by any stretch, the problem right now is tactical and coaching.

It's not a clusterfuck. Most of the signings make sense. Manquillo and Moreno made sense. Lovren made sense. Can made sense. Lallana and Markovic made sense. Lambert sort of made sense. Balotelli, wasn't even close. And it's dismantled everything we've built.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline anfieldforever2013

• In a parallel universe, someone is spamming this fella's blog with links to RAWK
  • Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »
I said at the close of the transfer window it was a bit of a disappointment for me. There were two priorities; replacing Luis Suarez's goals and sorting out the defence.

I was adamant that the club should have used the CL to attract established players last summer and concentrate on getting 4-5 quality players rather than trying to add depth. Before the transfer window began, I actually drew up three alternative targets for each position we needed to strengthen (not including the Luis Suarez position) and this is what I came up with:

Right-back (Clyne, Montoya, Danilo)
Left-back (Rodriguez, Moreno, Davies)
Central Defence (Benatia, Caulker, Papadopoulos)
Defensive Midfield (Fernando, Schneiderlin, Song)
Midfield (Kovacic, Rakitic, Strootman)
Winger (Konoplyanka, Shaqiri, Griezmann)
Striker (Martinez, Lacazette, Volland)

Now out of that list, we only got one player I wanted; Alberto Moreno!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:01:18 pm by anfieldforever2013 »

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 09:57:38 pm »
Relax guys.. its only our "coming 2nd lets buy random players to make us better" season.

We have it every 4-5 years. Normal routine will continue next season.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 09:57:54 pm »
Moreno, manquillo, lallana and can look like decent buys. We lacked the quality striker and centre back that we desperately needed though

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:06 pm »
This committee clearly doesn't work, but it's not the committee who set us up defensively, neglect the basics and ignore defensive midfielders.

Whoever scouted Mignolet should be out of a job because he's the opposite to what Rodgers asked for, so i'd have sympathy for the manager there getting let down by the scouts.

Balotelli was a panic buy all round.

The Sakho situation is ridiculous and led to Rodgers going all out for Lovren who is making things worse.

There's nobody at the club who can think strategically with transfers. We're reactive not proactive.

Pretty much... but we also have bought some great young players.

But as others have said, this really isn't the time for this discussion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:00:24 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:11 pm »
The only phone call should of been to Steve Clarke.... we couldn’t defend last season and its worse now because we can’t out score anyone!

Top 4 is touch and go, but if tonight has taught us anything, its that were not ready for this competition
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:24 pm »
Have some fucking patience, weve just been beaten by THE best, im confident in the ability of most of them.

If we can retain our CL place for next season thats when the committee need to be signing established players, being prepared to pay big fee & big wages....

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 09:59:44 pm »
the only phone call should of been to steve Clarke.... we couldnt defend last season and its worse now becuase we cant out score anyone!

So good at coaching defence that West Brom conceded more with him as manager than the season before.