Author Topic: Liverpool's Defence  (Read 697137 times)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool Defence
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2014, 02:26:56 pm »
dear god no!!!!!!!!!!

Why?

When Carragher was here the whole time the boring conversation was about how deep he was compared to other centre backs. I find his criticism on pushing out a bit baffling at times when he was one of the most conservative and risk wary defenders around.

Yeah but he only sat deep because he knew he had absolutely no pace. I mean he would be great at teaching them when to move across etc
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2014, 02:27:29 pm »
Steve Bould had never coached before he came to Arsenal.

Yes because Arsenal's defending in the big games last season was a joy to behold.

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »
When Carragher was here the whole time the boring conversation was about how deep he was compared to other centre backs. I find his criticism on pushing out a bit baffling at times when he was one of the most conservative and risk wary defenders around.

Skrtel may find his spacing comment a bit rich. Particularly when Carra raced into Skrtel's area to break his jaw... What sort of spacing was that?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:11 pm »
Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »
What qualifications has Carragher got to be coaching the defence of a team that finished second last season, given that he has never coached before?

Qualifications are a waste of time mate in this game. Because suddenly a few lessons tells you how to manage, just wait a minute whilst Davey fucking Moyes gets out his whiteboards to teach you a few things

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »
Yeah but he only sat deep because he knew he had absolutely no pace. I mean he would be great at teaching them when to move across etc

Whats to say Rodgers isn't doing that? He could be banging on about individual errors simply because defenders may not be doing what they are supposed to at key points.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2014, 02:29:04 pm »
He worked his way up through Arsenal. Wenger didn't just ring him up and ask him to come sort everything out.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2014, 02:29:59 pm »

As I said - uninformed twaddle:

After retiring, he began working towards his UEFA coaching badges and in June 2001 moved back to Arsenal and became a coach for the youth teams. He was the head coach of Arsenal's U18 Academy side, whom he led to winning the Premier Academy League 2008–2009,[7] 2009–2010[8] and FA Youth Cup in 2008–2009.[9] On 10 May 2012, it was announced that Steve Bould will become Arsenal's new assistant manager following the retirement of Pat Rice at the end of the season.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2014, 02:30:03 pm »
Whats to say Rodgers isn't doing that? He could be banging on about individual errors simply because defenders may not be doing what they are supposed to at key points.

He could well be but it obviously isn't working

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2014, 02:30:11 pm »
But we loved him for it but hate Skrtel for it.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2014, 02:31:03 pm »
Why?

would you say from memory was Carra a proactive defender who could read the game or a reactive one full of last ditch tackles AKA Skrtel lite ?

Now sadly he is a Brighton but Sami could coach defenders,  let Carra take the Sky money.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:02 pm »
lol at carragher.

think he has been reading these forums a bit too much.
too much idealism without proper thought
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:03 pm »
Yeah because being there is the be all and end all. I mean without him we wouldn't have been as creative. But wait, he wasn't even the highest assister in those games was he. Clearly there is no way that Gerrard, Coutinho etc. would have created the goals without Suarez there.

Against Everton, he scored. But yeah without him winning the ball and laying off the pass, a through ball being played and being clinically finished for the second wouldn't have happened would it? Guess what, he didn't assist a goal in that game either.

Even if he might of not directly assisted in some of these games, his presence alone gave the rest of our attack a platform to play.

Offline Scott0908

• Kopite
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:39 pm »
At times we where all over the place defensively against southampton, could of lost that game. Yesterday was the same, against clincal teams we will struggle. Needs to be sorted.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:50 pm »
Qualifications are a waste of time mate in this game. Because suddenly a few lessons tells you how to manage, just wait a minute whilst Davey fucking Moyes gets out his whiteboards to teach you a few things

Nonsense. If it were that simple, Shearer would have been a success at Newcastle, right? And Sherwood would have had Spurs in the top four, right? And Maradona would have won the World Cup, right?

Qualifications don't make the coach, but if you don't learn how to get your message across, then it doesn't matter what your background is in the game.

For example, our current manager retired before he was 21. Tim Sherwood has a Premier League winners medal. Who is the better coach?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2014, 02:33:02 pm »
He could well be but it obviously isn't working

two games and we won one of them, and you want to judge on that, i would say thats not a Clinical judgement myself.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »

Loved him in that system. Think he would have struggled in our system.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2014, 02:33:12 pm »
A bit disappointed, that we couldn't keep it tight at the back. Hard to say if this is due to new team mates, or whether we just never have any defensive cues. I suspect, it is the latter. We defend in a reactionary way, which tells me it is more systemic than individuals. Hope, Rodgers can fix it, though I wouldn't expect it to tighten up soon, an odd clean sheet will help, but we might leak goals for a while.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2014, 02:33:52 pm »

think the pro active mob have to answer to this.

what happened to good reading ability......lastnight louvrens went completely awol

Offline Hayer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »
Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1

Their defence has improved though. They have been poor in the big games, but against the rest of the league they have gained a lot of clean sheets and not been as weak as they were before he came in.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: August 26, 2014, 02:34:45 pm »
Nonsense. If it were that simple, Shearer would have been a success at Newcastle, right? And Sherwood would have had Spurs in the top four, right? And Maradona would have won the World Cup, right?

Qualifications don't make the coach, but if you don't learn how to get your message across, then it doesn't matter what your background is in the game.

For example, our current manager retired before he was 21. Tim Sherwood has a Premier League winners medal. Who is the better coach?

(I think your sarcasm filter is off ;)).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 26, 2014, 02:35:32 pm »
Even if he might of not directly assisted in some of these games, his presence alone gave the rest of our attack a platform to play.

I think you will find the manager did that. Suarez was here a while and we didn't get remotely as close. Other players getting better, making Suarez himself even better along with a top manager getting his ideas across did.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #422 on: August 26, 2014, 02:35:39 pm »
Would Carra come in and be a defensive coach one day a week? Would be one of the best signings of the summer. Since he's gone our defending has been awful, yeah he lost it a bit in his last couple of seasons but only because his body, his positioning was still good. Our positioning right now is the key

our defending has been awful since that first game at West Brom in 2012.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2014, 02:35:48 pm »

we have a system?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2014, 02:36:01 pm »
(I think your sarcasm filter is off ;)).

Bloody hell. This forum sometimes! :(

:D

Offline RedBeast

• Main Stander
« Reply #425 on: August 26, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »
would you say from memory was Carra a proactive defender who could read the game or a reactive one full of last ditch tackles AKA Skrtel lite ?

Now sadly he is a Brighton but Sami could coach defenders,  let Carra take the Sky money.

We are operating under the misapprehension that our back four don't know where they should be on the field. If they rematch on film, I'm certain that they would know better than you, I or Carra about what they should have done.

It's sticking to the plan when under duress that is the key. As Mike Tyson said, "everyone has a plan, until they get hit!"

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #426 on: August 26, 2014, 02:37:18 pm »
Their defence has improved though. They have been poor in the big games, but against the rest of the league they have gained a lot of clean sheets and not been as weak as they were before he came in.
Man City 6 Arsenal 3
Chelsea 6 Arsenal 0
Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1
Everton 3 Arsenal 0
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: August 26, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »
I'd like to see Rodgers pick a back 4 and STICK TO IT for the season. It will sort itself out over time.

A settled back 4 would've prevented the 1st and 2nd goals easily yest.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 26, 2014, 02:38:10 pm »
our defending has been awful since that first game at West Brom in 2012.
bang on

Offline Hayer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: August 26, 2014, 02:38:46 pm »
Man City 6 Arsenal 3
Chelsea 6 Arsenal 0
Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1
Everton 3 Arsenal 0

'The big games'.

For the most part, they have certainly improved at the back under Bould.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: August 26, 2014, 02:39:51 pm »
I'd like to see Rodgers pick a back 4 and STICK TO IT for the season. It will sort itself out over time.

A settled back 4 would've prevented the 1st and 2nd goals easily yest.

i think so too
but it seems no matter who we pick it doesnt work.

maybe get ina  proper defensive coach too

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #431 on: August 26, 2014, 02:41:09 pm »
Memo to PoP, KH, Redmark:

Don't feed the trolls.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 26, 2014, 02:41:50 pm »
we have a system?

Yeah because you know, getting 2nd in the league just requires someone putting a load of players together who came 7th the previous season and telling them to go play.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #433 on: August 26, 2014, 02:42:47 pm »
'The big games'.

For the most part, they have certainly improved at the back under Bould.
They only conceded 9-goals fewer than us and four more than the previous season.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:35 pm »
Memo to PoP, KH, Redmark:

Don't feed the trolls.

"Finding Memo"

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:49 pm »
Not really mate people would come on and speak about Carra last ditch tackles how amazing they were. Yet when it comes to Skrtel its like well yeah it was good recovery tackle but he was in wrong position in first place.

Carra use to be all over players in the box at corners as well, not really massive issue as other team does it to us. Switch roles with Skrtel and its cardinal sin, for me personally they are pretty much same player other than Skrtel has more pace.

I understand system are different now compared to now but they defend the same and it wasn't big deal then but is now.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: August 26, 2014, 02:44:06 pm »
Pleased we seem to have a clear first choice in four of the back five positions in Mignolet, Skrtel, Lovren & Moreno. Hope after the international break Flanagan has a run of games at rightback as I believe he will fight off the competition. Not a fan of swapping in & out CBs every other week as we need partnerships to form.

Offline Hayer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: August 26, 2014, 02:44:21 pm »
They only conceded 9-goals fewer than us and four more than the previous season.

Only 9 goals? That's a big difference.

Bould has made a difference, there is no debate over that.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: August 26, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »
Not really mate people would come on and speak about Carra last ditch tackles how amazing they were. Yet when it comes to Skrtel its like well yeah it was good recovery tackle but he was in wrong position in first place.

Carra use to be all over players in the box at corners as well, not really massive issue as other team does it to us. Switch roles with Skrtel and its cardinal sin, for me personally they are pretty much same player other than Skrtel has more pace.

I understand system are different now compared to now but they defend the same and it wasn't big deal then but is now.

I certainly don't have the footballing knowledge to talk about when someone should or should not push out unless it is obvious (the city game at home in April was obvious). For me my crictisms of Skrtel were losing too many 1v1 battles.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: August 26, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »
Only 9 goals? That's a big difference.

Bould has made a difference, there is no debate over that.

Yet we scored how many more?