Author Topic: Liverpool's Defence  (Read 697136 times)

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool Defence
« Reply #240 on: August 26, 2014, 01:04:02 am »
When will this end? When will people stop trotting out that vague possible 'explanation'?

Could you please specify exactly what the midfield players are doing wrong or not doing correctly which results in "the midfield"  not "giving enough cover" to our defense?

As in, positionally, and tackling. Gerrard's poor defensively and the best defensive midfielder we have is Can.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2014, 01:09:47 am »
As in, positionally, and tackling. Gerrard's poor defensively and the best defensive midfielder we have is Can.

The above was in response to the following: "Could you please specify exactly what the midfield players are doing wrong or not doing correctly which results in "the midfield"  not "giving enough cover" to our defense?"

There is something systematically wrong here.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline mart356

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: August 26, 2014, 01:13:01 am »
The above was in response to the following: "Could you please specify exactly what the midfield players are doing wrong or not doing correctly which results in "the midfield"  not "giving enough cover" to our defense?"

There is something systematically wrong here.

As in, the midfielders, especially Gerrard, are not covering space or players, and therefore tackling/intercepting in front of our back 4. At least, not as much as someone more defensively aware would.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #243 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:00 am »
Seems as if we're cursed in defense.

Moreno now looks to be injured, and who knows if Enrique is anywhere near ready to be playing week in week out again. Johnson looks an increasing liability at RB with every passing game, and despite adding Lovren at CB we still seem to be making the same mistakes as last season.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:47 am »
As in, the midfielders, especially Gerrard, are not covering space or players, and therefore tackling/intercepting in front of our back 4. At least, not as much as someone more defensively aware would.

So, it has to be either the 1-2 midfield or the inability of Gerrard, despite his great contributions to our attacking play, to play the role properly from a defensive standpoint. Is that a correct interpretation of what your saying?

Who else other than Gerrard is "not covering space or players" and therefore "not tacking/intercepting in front of our back 4"

Of the CM currently in our squad, who is "more defensively aware", and are there enough to make the 1-2 midfield work well enough to provide the proper defensive cover for our back 4?
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 26, 2014, 01:28:51 am »
Seems as if we're cursed in defense.

Moreno now looks to be injured, and who knows if Enrique is anywhere near ready to be playing week in week out again. Johnson looks an increasing liability at RB with every passing game, and despite adding Lovren at CB we still seem to be making the same mistakes as last season.

Well, we know Can, who's right-footed, featured as (emergency) left back for a few games with Leverkusen. So, maybe he can fill in again.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Nosss

• Anny Roader
« Reply #246 on: August 26, 2014, 01:29:30 am »
So, what's the educated consensus so far on how our midfield trio (both versions) fared, in terms of contributing to our defense?

In my opinion, we looked very solid all over the pitch until the first goal then lost composure when it went in. I think we need to maintain the way we were playing for the first half even when we go behind and trust that even when playing conservatively we can score against the better teams.

The way Skrtel and Lovren were playing in different ways was a big problem as well. Rodgers has just bought Lovren so I assume that Lovren is doing the right thing. If that's the case Rodgers needs to either get Skrtel and the rest of the back four on the same page as Lovren or make changes. We need to have a defensive shape that the entire back four wants to naturally drop into when we are under pressure. The way Lovren tried to hold a high line while Skrtel was five yards deeper than him was crazy.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #247 on: August 26, 2014, 01:29:39 am »
So who's actually injured in our defense now?

Flanno, Enrique, Agger, Moreno, Johnson?

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2014, 01:35:24 am »
Rodgers has just bought Lovren so I assume that Lovren is doing the right thing.

Funny... I assume the exact opposite, that Lovren needs time to adapt to our system.

Offline mart356

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2014, 01:37:30 am »
So, it has to be either the 1-2 midfield or the inability of Gerrard, despite his great contributions to our attacking play, to play the role properly from a defensive standpoint. Is that a correct interpretation of what your saying?

Who else other than Gerrard is "not covering space or players" and therefore "not tacking/intercepting in front of our back 4"

Of the CM currently in our squad, who is "more defensively aware", and are there enough to make the 1-2 midfield work well enough to provide the proper defensive cover for our back 4?

Gerrard is our deepest midfielder. He has to cover the space in front of the back 4. He's in the team because he's great on the ball and at set pieces, no player can offer what he does on the ball. I don't think we have a player who can come in for Gerrard and be better defensively, Gerrard is as good as it gets, and it's not great. He can tackle though, more often than not he comes out with the ball. From what i've seen of Can he may be able to do this role, and he has the added attribute of physicality. Henderson and whoever else plays in the midfield, tonight it was Allen, it's not their job to cover that space or provide defensive cover. They're Gerrard's runners, they go up and down the pitch, they press, they harry and they tackle, quite simply because he can't. Ideally you have a player behind them to cover the space they leave behind, who has a positional sense to mop up the passes that get through and the runners who get through.

To fix the problem we're going to have to buy someone, someone like i just described, i.e a Matic, Carvalho, whoever. For what it's worth I think Henderson/Coutinho/Allen all do their midfield roles well when played there. But, for now, the 1-2 midfield isn't going to work with Gerrard there, more so against top opposition.

Offline Nosss

• Anny Roader
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2014, 01:40:52 am »
Funny... I assume the exact opposite, that Lovren needs time to adapt to our system.

Of course you may be right, I'm really not an expert at all! I just have always thought Rodgers would want to play a high line, which seems to be what Lovren is trying to do. I understand that he didn't play one last season but from what I remember he talks about maintaining a high line in some of his press conferences (I may be misremembering here though).

Offline mart356

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2014, 01:44:25 am »
At one point Rodgers was on the verge of selling Skrtel, no?  So if he can change one way he can change the other, and start LovrenSakho

Apparently when he came in he wasn't a fan, but Skrtel won him over. And if Lovren goes to RCB, it won't end well.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2014, 07:39:23 am »
Just saw a stat saying we've conceded at least 2 goals in 23/39 away league games under BR

Something we're going to have to get used to. Problem is we no longer have Suarez to bail us out.

It's not always conceding chasing games either. A lot of the time we've blown two goal leads.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2014, 07:47:00 am »
Something we're going to have to get used to. Problem is we no longer have Suarez to bail us out.

It's not always conceding chasing games either. A lot of the time we've blown two goal leads.

Suarez didnt bail us out in many of those games we conceded 2 or more in last season either did he? Maybe Cardiff away. We still went and lost or drew those.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:21 am »
Apparently when he came in he wasn't a fan, but Skrtel won him over. And if Lovren goes to RCB, it won't end well.

If that's the case then what a mess. £17m spunked on Sakho and then pay another £20m for someone in his position.  Not to mention the money wasted on Ilori and the wages on Toure. Yet we're no better defensively for it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #255 on: August 26, 2014, 07:52:45 am »
So who's actually injured in our defense now?

Flanno, Enrique, Agger, Moreno, Johnson?
We've got 5 players capable of playing LB and all of them are injured at the same time. Wonderful.

Hopefully Moreno is fine because I think we can cause some serious damage with M&M on the flanks.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:20 am »
And if Lovren goes to RCB, it won't end well.

How many times has he played there before in the past??  Id like to think you have seen him play there numerous times to make that judgement.

The real answer is nobody knows how him or Sakho would play if played in that position until its tryed out, which it needs to be.  Its a travesty that Sakho a French international who looked imperious at the world cup isn't getting into the first 11. 

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2014, 07:55:16 am »
Our defence and keeper need a lot of work.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2014, 07:56:00 am »
We've got 5 players capable of playing LB and all of them are injured at the same time. Wonderful.

Hopefully Moreno is fine because I think we can cause some serious damage with M&M on the flanks.

Worst comes to worst we should go with a 3 5 2 formation against Spurs. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:58:18 am by Carly »

Offline Redpross1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2014, 07:57:22 am »
If that's the case then what a mess. £17m spunked on Sakho and then pay another £20m for someone in his position.  Not to mention the money wasted on Ilori and the wages on Toure. Yet we're no better defensively for it.
Exactly my thoughts right now......also Rodgers 3rd season and still the same exact problems!!!!

What's the definition of madness? Doing the exact same things but expecting a different outcome?

Offline rayted_are

• Main Stander
« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2014, 08:04:02 am »
Analysis of the Liverpool defense vs Manchester City (25.08.2014)
 http://vimeo.com/104373217

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2014, 08:13:47 am »
Worst comes to worst we should go with a 3 5 2 formation against Spurs.
I would hope it would be something like this in that case:

Skrtel  Lovren   Sakho
Manquillo   Henderson Allen     Markovic
                          Sterling
               Balotelli    Sturridge

If you move Lovren up one step its basically as if we're playing a diamond with him in the Gerrard role, which I think he could replicate with his range of passing. I don't think Gerrard has the legs to get around in the midfield "2". Allen and Markovic would need to be very disciplined too to cover the LB spot.

In any case, against a Pochettino press I doubt Brendan will want to give up too many bodies in midfield, but it could work.

Offline thx4thememeories

• Main Stander
« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2014, 08:26:22 am »
This was always going to happen you cant buy x amount of players and reshuffle a defence and expect it to gel immediatley its going to take time.

I honestly think he is better of going with who he thinks he wants as his starting defence and taking the hit now instead of trying to do it slowly.

I have said this before but Gerrard doesnt provide good enough cover its not his fault he doesnt have the legs for it, a solution could be instead of him playing by himself infront of the defence with 2 infront of of him, flip that around so there are 2 in front of the defence and one ahead of him.

This will still allow him to collect and dictate from deep but also move further forward in attack and have cover.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2014, 08:27:42 am »
Based on what PoP has told us, Carragher's advice is not relevant to what BR's ideal defensive posture would be (I don't mean the 'back 4 work' part).

To me, Skrtel thinks "too much" like the recent (older) Carragher, while Lovren and Sakho think and behave like proper zonal defenders, in the prime of their physical capabilities.

But, this can't go on. Either Skrtel has to adjust to Lovren/Sakho, or vice-versa. As it stands, it won't work, imo.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Yolanderyolando

• Anny Roader
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2014, 08:33:52 am »
Thinks too much ? Behave like proper zonal defenders In the prime of their physical capabilities ?

Actual nonsense.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: August 26, 2014, 08:53:59 am »
It's worth pointing out that City had 9 shots, 4 on target last night. It's not like we gave a huge amount away, it's that we couldn't stop what we did turning into a goal. Partly you look at Mignolet foot the third but otherwise another individual error for the first.

To me we don't prevent teams getting to our area well enough, if the press fails it's then fairly easy for them to breach our penalty area. This is partly, perhaps, organisational and partly individual. I would lose Skrtel and Johnson, it's time to throw our weight behind an aggressive defensive line. 

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2014, 09:16:44 am »
Based on what PoP has told us, Carragher's advice is not relevant to what BR's ideal defensive posture would be (I don't mean the 'back 4 work' part).

To me, Skrtel thinks "too much" like the recent (older) Carragher, while Lovren and Sakho think and behave like proper zonal defenders, in the prime of their physical capabilities.

But, this can't go on. Either Skrtel has to adjust to Lovren/Sakho, or vice-versa. As it stands, it won't work, imo.

There's something wrong with the Skrtel Lovren partnership just like the Skrtel Sakho partnership. The only thing I can take from that is that is in fact Skrtel is the problem.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #267 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:48 am »

Yeah, from what I've heard about him analysing individual defensive actions he seems very conservative in his thinking. Probably a product of how he's been coached for large parts of his career.

Thought the discussion he and Gary Neville had about David Luiz last season was very telling in terms of how he thinks a defender should behave. Not sure it's applicable to the way BR wants his defenders to act. 

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #268 on: August 26, 2014, 10:00:26 am »
I'm just a little worried that Rodgers lacks the defensive skills to organize a top defense. Two years and quite a few signings, without improvement. I still have hope, but our problems clearly goes beyond individual skills. I dont know if Skrtel or Lovren have misunderstood the system, but it's Rodgers job to get them on the same page in training. Most of all though, they need time

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: August 26, 2014, 10:13:51 am »
A few things about the defence really concern me.

1. Last season Sakho was quite clearly our best centre half. He's playing for France at a young age and looks very good on the ball. He cost us a tidy sum of money last season, and was the shining light in a truly shit back 4. He's been replaced by Lovren for 20 million. We've spent 38 million on defenders and not only is only 1 playing, but the inferior one based on the evidence before us. If anyone needed replacing it was Skrtel with a new RCB, not our best defender for an outrageous amount. The whole Lovren/Sakho thing is very strange.

2. Remember after the Chelsea game Rodgers said something along the lines of "It's not hard to get a team to defend with 11 men behind the ball". Well Brendan, we can't defend to save our fucking lives even with 11 men behind the ball. Perhaps at times we could do with some of that away in big games, especially in the Champions League, because conceding 1 goal at home in the CL knockout stages is enough to see you out, and at this rate we're completely fucked.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:42 am »
At one point Rodgers was on the verge of selling Skrtel, no?  So if he can change one way he can change the other, and start LovrenSakho

Are you saying that it's still Skrtel to be the scapegoat after those two performances of Lovren? I am not saying he, Lovren, won't come good but playing two new signings in this game was a mistake by Rodgers.

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: August 26, 2014, 10:17:59 am »
A few things about the defence really concern me.

1. Last season Sakho was quite clearly our best centre half. He's playing for France at a young age and looks very good on the ball. He cost us a tidy sum of money last season, and was the shining light in a truly shit back 4. He's been replaced by Lovren for 20 million. We've spent 38 million on defenders and not only is only 1 playing, but the inferior one based on the evidence before us. If anyone needed replacing it was Skrtel with a new RCB, not our best defender for an outrageous amount. The whole Lovren/Sakho thing is very strange.

2. Remember after the Chelsea game Rodgers said something along the lines of "It's not hard to get a team to defend with 11 men behind the ball". Well Brendan, we can't defend to save our fucking lives even with 11 men behind the ball. Perhaps at times we could do with some of that away in big games, especially in the Champions League, because conceding 1 goal at home in the CL knockout stages is enough to see you out, and at this rate we're completely fucked.

In which universe do you think would it be possible for Sakho to prevent Lovren from the mistakes he made and from time he needs to settle 9in just as Sakho himself last season?

In this universe though, it's possible to come to conclusions which have absolutely nothing to do with what is happening on the pitch, absolutely nothing.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:03 am »
Are you saying that it's still Skrtel to be the scapegoat after those two performances of Lovren? I am not saying he, Lovren, won't come good but playing two new signings in this game was a mistake by Rodgers.
What do you mean those two performances from Lovren?

He takes some of the blame for the third goal but other than that he has been very good. Watching him last night every time City passed the ball backwards he was pushing the defense up and forcing City further back. City didn't create anything in that first half until the mistake by Moreno. Compare that to the game at Anfield at the end of last season when we were sitting deep and inviting pressure.

Second half he continues to push the line-up but for the second goal half of the defense doesn't go with him and keep two players on-side.

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2014, 10:30:15 am »
What do you mean those two performances from Lovren?

He takes some of the blame for the third goal but other than that he has been very good. Watching him last night every time City passed the ball backwards he was pushing the defense up and forcing City further back. City didn't create anything in that first half until the mistake by Moreno. Compare that to the game at Anfield at the end of last season when we were sitting deep and inviting pressure.

Second half he continues to push the line-up but for the second goal half of the defense doesn't go with him and keep two players on-side.

The things is that it's not working right now because the entire team isn't functioning as a unit. It's well and good pushing on but then Henderson has to put more pressure on the ball in order to prevent the pass prior the third goal as the spaces become simply too big then to defend properly as a team.

I am not saying Lovren won't come good, I am saying that he was brought in too early and doesn't know his team mates good enough to know how to adjust tactically in certain game situations which was also visible prior the second. The header prior the first was an indivual error which I won't blame him for but it happened and I don't wanna know what a reaction would have been if it was Skrtel.

It's a matter of time, and in my opinion, Rodgers was thinking too much long term and not enough short term in this game in almost every respect you can think of.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:33:38 am by steveeastend »

Offline penga

• What you get if you cross Pingu with Jenga.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:57 am »

While I agree with PoP's general principle of pushing up when the ball is played backwards as a trigger, I just can't agree in this instance the defence should've stepped up - it is situational - your left back is out of position so your back 4 is already out of sync and Coutinho was just there stepping out hence leaving a massive gap in behind the left hand side. If Lovren stayed back we aren't opened up simple as that, there was less to be gained by stepping up (especially as Lovren could never have gotten tight to Jovetic anyway) than playing cover defence. You might not have to communicate every time as it is based on "triggers" but in this instance if you wanted to step out, you probably should have. If the defence steps up there is a high chance we  still might have been opened up as the flick was the quick thinking move to bypass a possible trap and Nasri the assister (who I assume the flick was meant for) was level with Lovren anyway. You'd be hoping on a call for offside on Zabaleta who does not touch the ball or impede a defender and may be seen as inactive.

Offline Norse Red

• Kopite
  • Forever Red!
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:58 am »
Our defense needs to be tight like a ducks arse in the Spurs game. A lot of work needs to be done before that game.

Offline Pricey

• Might actually be Petey.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: August 26, 2014, 10:39:10 am »
In which universe do you think would it be possible for Sakho to prevent Lovren from the mistakes he made and from time he needs to settle 9in just as Sakho himself last season?

In this universe though, it's possible to come to conclusions which have absolutely nothing to do with what is happening on the pitch, absolutely nothing.

Tell me an individual performance last season by Sakho, as bad as Lovren was last night?

I'm not even having a pop at Lovren, he's ok, i'm just saying it's utterly bizarre that we've spent 20 million replacing our best centre half and Skrtel is still playing.

If we had a great left winger, and a shit right one, and spent 20 million on a new left winger, and continues with the shit right winger, perhaps people would see it a little better. It's absolutely fucking insane. You think a player as good as Sakho is just going to sit on our bench for 40 games?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:40:41 am by Pricey »

Offline Liverbird27

• Anny Roader
« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2014, 10:40:33 am »
And he was also on the verge of selling Henderson. Sometimes players win the manager over and deserve their just rewards. This constant desire to wanna see Skrtel pushed out the team... coz of what? He's not a "fan favourite"?

Lovren struggled more last night, yet you're having a go at Skrtel.

Last night, it looked like a disjointed back 4 who had recently been assembled together. Shame it had to come up against such a strong attack so early on. Ideally, what we should be doing is sticking with a set back four, drilling them together at melwood day-in day-out, ride out the initial rough patches, and hope to reap the rewards of it during the second half of the season (which is when you should be pushing on).

These injuries at fullback aren't helping mind.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #278 on: August 26, 2014, 10:40:39 am »
Until the defence starts to work as a cohesive unit nothing will change. Regardless of the personnel it looks like 4 individuals back there, compare that to City of course they're a settle experienced defence but they work as a unit that’s how you defend and in doing that you keep errors and being caught out to a minimum. We should be making the opposition do something special to break us down, at the moment they're so easy to play against simply because the back line doesn’t play as a well drilled unit.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:41 am »
While I agree with PoP's general principle of pushing up when the ball is played backwards as a trigger, I just can't agree in this instance the defence should've stepped up - it is situational - your left back is out of position so your back 4 is already out of sync and Coutinho was just there stepping out hence leaving a massive gap in behind the left hand side. If Lovren stayed back we aren't opened up simple as that, there was less to be gained by stepping up (especially as Lovren could never have gotten tight to Jovetic anyway) than playing cover defence.

It's a matter of practise in training and knowing your team mates. And it's a matter of having experienced players around, experienced at the club and how we did progress while being aware of our shortcomings. And while we probably will improve on Skrtel, Lucas, Johnson, Agger and even Flanagan in the future, we need them RIGHT NOW.

I honestly don't understand Rogders being this adventerious in such an important game and while I always thought his guts to be something positive there is a lot more to lose this season compared to last one and he should be aware of that. It's about solid coaching with an emphasis of the core of the players who know the fucking job and build on that.