Author Topic: Which credit cards will no longer work for ticket sales?  (Read 7281 times)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Which credit cards will no longer work for ticket sales?
« Reply #80 on: January 6, 2024, 09:20:05 am »
Thanks for this , pretty good explanation

Work in IT myself and as far as I can see this is an IT /  Payment Processing issue ( I think the club uses a third party for payment processing)

This is not an issue the TO can resolve,  so seems a bit pointless expecting them to, we just need the people that support the payment processing  system to get their fingers out and provide a solution.

This thread has been open since 14th December.
I'd expect if I checked my bank statement I'll have used my card in excess of 100 times since then, yet Liverpool Football Club is the only company to have an issue with it.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SnowGoon

• Anny Roader
  • Roberto Baggio: The Divine Ponytail
« Reply #81 on: January 6, 2024, 10:46:19 am »
Our cards stopped working on Dec 23rd, couldn't get anything to work, tried over 10 cards. They were working again from Dec 26th, admittedly I haven't had to check them all as the one  I usually use, Santander, was fine again. So something changed in that time for them to stop, then work again.
Eeeeeeeeeegor!

Offline jdirckze

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 6, 2024, 11:05:14 am »
There has been an update on security with the 2 main merchants Visa & Mastercard.
This update has been passed to banks to implement.
If the bank hasn't implemented yet you will find that the cards of that said bank will work on checkout on the LFC website
If the bank has implemented the new update the payment will fail on the LFC website hence why you are all seeing some working and some are not.

In terms of LFC I suppose they are stuck between the a rock and hard place with this as if they make changes on their side it is most likely that it will start working for cards where the banks have implemented the new security updates and then will start failing for bank cards where the bank hasn't implemented the changes but are currently working on the LFC website.

What LFC really need to do is come up with a solution that allows both current states to work (depending on how they are powering payments as in are they using 3rd party provider this may be easier said than done)
that all sounds very reasonable but doesn’t explain why my Monzo card fails twice but on a third time miraculously works

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #83 on: January 6, 2024, 11:33:04 am »
This thread has been open since 14th December.
I'd expect if I checked my bank statement I'll have used my card in excess of 100 times since then, yet Liverpool Football Club is the only company to have an issue with it.
This is spot on.

How people can defend the club is beyond me  ::)
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #84 on: January 6, 2024, 12:09:20 pm »
If what’s said above is true, shouldn’t a card either always fail or always succeed?

It took 30+ attempts on my last 2 transactions using my RBS card, but eventually went through. If it eventually goes through then the systems are there to process it, they’re just shite and inconsistent.

Also done a lot of online shopping over the last few weeks, and not had this issue on any other site or heard anyone else mention it.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #85 on: January 8, 2024, 10:13:49 am »
This is spot on.

How people can defend the club is beyond me  ::)
Nobody is defending the club. People are simply trying to work out what might be happening and unsurprisingly many of those who are more understanding have a background in IT and/or payments. There are a plethora of parties involved in a payment; it's likely that a payment service provider operates the clubs payment page and beyond that there's the club's acquiring bank, the card schemes and your card issuer. As a general rule when something goes wrong in a situation like this, all parties have a habit of pointing at each other albeit since it's LFC's customers who are affected it's in their interest to push the investigation. As liamo3 pointed out, a software update on the end-to-end process is in progress and that's always fraught with potential problems. It may be that the clubs website or arrangement with their acquiring bank is causing the problem but we don't know - we can neither defend them nor accuse them.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #86 on: January 8, 2024, 11:10:55 am »
Nobody is defending the club. People are simply trying to work out what might be happening and unsurprisingly many of those who are more understanding have a background in IT and/or payments. There are a plethora of parties involved in a payment; it's likely that a payment service provider operates the clubs payment page and beyond that there's the club's acquiring bank, the card schemes and your card issuer. As a general rule when something goes wrong in a situation like this, all parties have a habit of pointing at each other albeit since it's LFC's customers who are affected it's in their interest to push the investigation. As liamo3 pointed out, a software update on the end-to-end process is in progress and that's always fraught with potential problems. It may be that the clubs website or arrangement with their acquiring bank is causing the problem but we don't know - we can neither defend them nor accuse them.
Going by the track record that the ticket office have, the list is long, and the fact that it isn't an issue on ANY other website at all, I and many others know who is most likely to be at fault.
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #87 on: January 8, 2024, 12:09:01 pm »
Natwest still not working for me today. Royal pain in the arse.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
« Reply #88 on: January 8, 2024, 01:37:23 pm »
Or me. Only have accounts with them so had to get someone else to buy mine this morning. Not ideal

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #89 on: January 8, 2024, 02:04:32 pm »
Going by the track record that the ticket office have, the list is long, and the fact that it isn't an issue on ANY other website at all, I and many others know who is most likely to be at fault.
The general failings or procedural issues at the ticket office aren't necessarily playing a part here. It's possible that the club's software simply pass the amount and some basic information (e.g. name, postcode & house number) to a third party to perform the payment and then wait for a go/no-go on the transaction. In this sort of situation, LFC aren't even guaranteed useful error information. The bottom line is that, in the absence of detailed design information,we don't know where the problem lies. I also doubt that the ticket office staff know much about the problem domain so there's no point blaming them.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #90 on: January 8, 2024, 02:36:59 pm »
The general failings or procedural issues at the ticket office aren't necessarily playing a part here. It's possible that the club's software simply pass the amount and some basic information (e.g. name, postcode & house number) to a third party to perform the payment and then wait for a go/no-go on the transaction. In this sort of situation, LFC aren't even guaranteed useful error information. The bottom line is that, in the absence of detailed design information,we don't know where the problem lies. I also doubt that the ticket office staff know much about the problem domain so there's no point blaming them.
I'm not blaming the TO staff, far from it, I genuinely have sympathy for them as more often that not, they don't have a clue whats going on. The issue lies way above them in my opinion.

Offline ewok-red-97

• Main Stander
  • go easy, step lightly, stay free
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2024, 05:56:36 pm »
I signed up for a starling, took about 5 minutes to sign up and I was approved within 24 hours. Don't have to wait for the card to arrive to use it. Worked fine to buy tickets today. 

The TO should obviously sort it out but possibly a short-term fix!

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2024, 04:18:14 pm »
couldn't buy any Norwich failed autocup tickets for our group yesterday. constantly getting the declined error. tried multiple devices, mutiple browsers, multiple cards and none would work. went on live chat to speak to someone and she said we need a screenshot or we can't do nothing so any errors anyone is having make sure to screenshot because I forgot to screenshot any of the 100 failed attempts and she is making out like i'm lying that the system is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING CRAP

disclaimer: the reason i didn't screenshot was because I actually thought LFC's system was capable of having a history of payment attempts on their system that they can actually see had been tried and failed but I have now realised I gave the system to much credit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 04:22:45 pm by Luke 17 »

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2024, 04:58:40 pm »
...the reason i didn't screenshot was because I actually thought LFC's system was capable of having a history of payment attempts on their system that they can actually see had been tried and failed but I have now realised I gave the system to much credit.
As a software designer for over three decades, I'd find it staggering if there isn't actually an audit record of each payment attempt.  More likely is that the people on the chatline have no tools to query the data.

Offline Luke 17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2024, 05:23:17 pm »
As a software designer for over three decades, I'd find it staggering if there isn't actually an audit record of each payment attempt.  More likely is that the people on the chatline have no tools to query the data.

Yeah I agree there has to be a record of each attempt surely. She actually changed her tune in the end and reserved a ticket but i've tried to purchase it again an it's still failing :butt

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2024, 06:25:52 pm »
couldn't buy any Norwich failed autocup tickets for our group yesterday. constantly getting the declined error. tried multiple devices, mutiple browsers, multiple cards and none would work. went on live chat to speak to someone and she said we need a screenshot or we can't do nothing so any errors anyone is having make sure to screenshot because I forgot to screenshot any of the 100 failed attempts and she is making out like i'm lying that the system is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING CRAP

disclaimer: the reason i didn't screenshot was because I actually thought LFC's system was capable of having a history of payment attempts on their system that they can actually see had been tried and failed but I have now realised I gave the system to much credit.

As if you're remembering to do screenshots all the time when you're panicking about getting your tickets anyway! The onus shouldn't be on us to prove their system is shit.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2024, 09:16:22 am »
So, are Natwest debits still on the shitlist?

Is monzo okay?

Will have to prep and have a standby if Natwest fails.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2024, 10:45:34 am »
Natwest certainly didn't work last week for me, unless things have changed since then.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2024, 01:00:22 pm »
😬 I'm just gonna get all the cards I have and hope for the best.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2024, 09:11:37 am »
Natwest debit worked for me this morning, had to do app approval.

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2024, 09:22:26 am »
RBS was sound too, did the app approval and all was fine. Hopefully this means they’ve fixed it

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2024, 09:24:13 am »
I didn't gamble with my Ulster Bank card, just went straight to Monzo which worked fine.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2024, 09:51:45 am »
my browser auto filled it and I just thought fuck it, see if it works ;D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2024, 03:12:59 pm »

:thumbup

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2024, 07:45:52 pm »
My card failed first time, went through second time tho

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2024, 09:58:01 pm »
Great news, hopefully mine will work for the Brentford sales next week too.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2024, 08:21:11 am »
Ulster Bank card didn't work this morning.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 2, 2024, 11:11:05 am »
Natwest worked for me today (with app authorisation) for the first time since I used it for the December bulk sale.

Offline Barry Banana

• because johnster was a rubbish username?...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #108 on: February 2, 2024, 11:17:17 am »
Barclaycard has started requiring app verification. Didn’t previously.
Long live the King

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #109 on: February 2, 2024, 01:10:29 pm »
Natwest worked for me today (with app authorisation) for the first time since I used it for the December bulk sale.
Great news! will try mine in the next sale.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 2, 2024, 05:20:33 pm »
I had someone from the Ticket Office call me earlier, so I took this rare opportunity to ask about the cc issue.  She thinks that they have very recently installed an upgrade to the payment authentication handling, so anyone with non-working cards should give them another go.

Certainly my MBNA Visa that has always worked was behaving differently this week.  In two separate sales it wanted two-factor authentication when it did not before, but the option to approve in app failed both times, but worked with a text code instead, so there are still some issues there.

I'll give my failing Virgin MasterCard a go on the next away sale.

Offline jdirckze

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #111 on: February 2, 2024, 09:54:38 pm »
Monzo worked first time today !

Offline MightyRed42

• Kemlynite
  • We’re gonna win it all
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2024, 04:02:26 pm »
Well I’ve been having a nightmare with payment. League Cup final, decent queue position. Had payment failure with my Barclays debit, Monzo personal and joint account, MBNA credit card and Virgin credit cards.

Lost my basket. My dad eventually did it on his nationwide debit card.

Had the same issues this morning trying to get a credit ticket for Burnley.

I don’t understand because my Barclays debit has worked for every single sale before. Most recently the chelsea game.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2024, 06:36:48 pm »
My payment for the league cup final tickets on my credit card kept on failing too. Got an error message to say my billing address didn’t match my members details even though it was my card and the one I use all the time. After a few attempts I refreshed the browser and that did the trick thankfully. Stressed me out though

Offline MightyRed42

• Kemlynite
  • We’re gonna win it all
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2024, 09:05:34 pm »
Aye.

I just can’t understand what has changed though. My card has worked fine for every sale since 2021. It worked for the members sale this January. I got my brother in law a ticket for Chelsea through friends and family, worked fine.

All my cards are registered to me and my home address.

Trying to decide if my account has been flagged as a potential tout (cos I’m the one who buys the tickets for my family) so are the number of transactions suspicious?

Offline MightyRed42

• Kemlynite
  • We’re gonna win it all
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2024, 09:08:42 pm »
Gonna spend tomorrow on livechat. Will test things out by trying to get a single for the legends game at the back of upper main rather than a hospo for Luton.

Need to get my daughter’s ticket for Southampton on Tuesday   :butt

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2024, 08:18:36 am »
I had someone from the Ticket Office call me earlier, so I took this rare opportunity to ask about the cc issue.  She thinks that they have very recently installed an upgrade to the payment authentication handling, so anyone with non-working cards should give them another go.

Certainly my MBNA Visa that has always worked was behaving differently this week.  In two separate sales it wanted two-factor authentication when it did not before, but the option to approve in app failed both times, but worked with a text code instead, so there are still some issues there.

I'll give my failing Virgin MasterCard a go on the next away sale.
Hurrah!  Virgin Mastercards are working again.  Two-factor authentication went through fine.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2024, 12:52:13 pm »
Natwest good again this morning with app verification, three sales running now it's worked :thumbup

Offline Philipm20

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2024, 01:18:55 pm »
Always used Halifax no problems, last couple of games now just asking for app verification

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2024, 02:39:32 pm »
Natwest debit card finally worked this morning too for the 1st time in months!