Author Topic: Responsibility of footballers (and other sports women and men)  (Read 833 times)

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
We probably all agree that Rashford's support of vulnerable children is something that should be applauded regardless of what team we support and what team he plays for. I think in a similar vein we can and should be critical of multimillionaire footballers selling their image or themselves to food giants peddling junk food and football clubs that are used as sports washing institutions. Messi and Salah should not help Pepsico push their products by influencing young people and Gini should not join a PSG and help Qatar win titles to make the world forget about the PSG's owners' hideous human rights records. I don't think I am in minority here with this opinion but I might read the room horribly wrong. So I would like to hear other opinions on this topic.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Responsibility of footballers (and other sports women and men)
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2021, 01:13:54 pm »
I'm generally morally indignant but when it comes to sportsmen I don't expect them to do any more than give their all to whoever is currently paying their salary.  If they're lucky it's a short career, if they're unlucky then it's a very short career.  Once they retire the earning potential for the vast majority drops hugely.

There's also a close correlation between those clubs that pay big wages and those clubs that compete for honours.  It's always difficult to separate the two motives when a player moves to one of the bankrolled clubs.

Similarly with endorsements, within reason I don't really care who they are the face of.  Scratch beneath the surface of most multinationals that can afford multi-million endorsements and there will be some murky behaviour.  The fruit and veg alliance - should one even exist - probably aren't going to be throwing a £20m contract at Mo Salah.

The only caveat for me is when sportspeople market themselves as having a certain moral compass but then just conveniently forget about it when it suits.  Guardiola and his yellow ribbon but indifference to the actions of his club's owners is a good example.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2021, 01:15:35 pm by thaddeus »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2021, 01:18:22 pm »
I’d like to see our politicians and public officials take some responsibility and show some leadership and guidance.
I’m not really so concerned about young professional sports people. Of course it’s great when they are involved in good things

Marcus Rashford is a superb role model and a true leader.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2021, 01:20:57 pm by kavah »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
I'm generally morally indignant but when it comes to sportsmen I don't expect them to do any more than give their all to whoever is currently paying their salary.  If they're lucky it's a short career, if they're unlucky then it's a very short career.  Once they retire the earning potential for the vast majority drops hugely.

There's also a close correlation between those clubs that pay big wages and those clubs that compete for honours.  It's always difficult to separate the two motives when a player moves to one of the bankrolled clubs.

Similarly with endorsements, within reason I don't really care who they are the face of.  Scratch beneath the surface of most multinationals that can afford multi-million endorsements and there will be some murky behaviour.  The fruit and veg alliance - should one even exist - probably aren't going to be throwing a £20m contract at Mo Salah.

The only caveat for me is when sportspeople market themselves as having a certain moral compass but then just conveniently forget about it when it suits.  Guardiola and his yellow ribbon but indifference to the actions of his club's owners is a good example.

Exactly.

I don’t believe a player should say no to Abu Dhabi and PSG, as you say, short careers, huge wages that set them and families up for life.

My frustration isn’t with the players in these instances, it’s with the leagues allowing such owners. The issues should be taken to the very top. Turning a blind eye to sportwashing is a massive problem. 

But yeah, I too take exeption to someone like Guardiola.  And again, the fact that the majority of people - be it fans, the media, pundits, are absolutely ok with his hypocrisy, is as big an issue there.   

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2021, 01:21:29 pm »
Either you're useful to someone else or keep quiet and stay out of the way. Any other path,  the problem is usually you.

They have no responsibility.  There is no society until every guy / girl gets paid or supported by an equivalent safety net with which they can live properly.  There is nothing now in most places.  These players don't make it off their own work and get tossed onto the street,  most talking about responsibility wouldn't even make eye contact,  much less be consistently useful.  What a load of shit.

Nothing against the poster. 
« Last Edit: June 9, 2021, 02:07:48 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 08:54:13 pm »
It's funny how UEFA emerged as the good guys in the Super League debacle. This is UEFA: Uefa warns teams could be fined if they move drinks at news conferences https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57517337
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953