Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 640522 times)

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
Is it just me or do New Zealand just do all the basics really well really consistently?

Yes. Humble with it too. Sad to feel-admiration for the oppo more than your own team.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
The other batsman was indeed Nathan Astle, who is better remembered for his 222. The only time that a 100 run victory with plenty of time left could be called nail-biting.

I was in complete awe watching that innings. Was such clean hitting, for the most part. Sounded like rifle fire when his bat connected. A crocked Cairns down the other end and a 100 runs never looked so gettable from a last wicket pair.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I was in complete awe watching that innings. Was such clean hitting, for the most part. Sounded like rifle fire when his bat connected. A crocked Cairns down the other end and a 100 runs never looked so gettable from a last wicket pair.

There was a period of 6 balls or so where we took the 2nd new ball, which was hit out of the stadium (the inaugural match of the new Jade Stadium and its drop in pitch), and then the 3rd new ball was hit onto the roof again a couple of deliveries later, but rolled back down and could continue to be used. Was just a smidgin away from the 1st new ball to the 4th new ball within the space of 1 over. England suffered from PTSD for years after, never daring to set less than 500 in the 4th innings at 4.5 rpo.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
Spent the last couple of days at Edgbaston, bloody hell, if there was ever a case of a team not deserving it’s supporters it’s the England cricket team.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
As an outsider, you need to realise that England's batting line-up has always been in crisis, with the exception of the Cook-Strauss-Trott-Bell top order, and even then everyone thought Bell only made runs in games that they were "going to win anyway".

But yeah, this lot are bad. Not entirely useless, but this is a particularly weak line up. You should've seen that in Sri Lanka when they were being congratulated for managing to all fit on Joe Root's back. Bairstow's four innings when he rejoined the tour in India were amongst the most atrocious I've ever seen, even with the crazy spinning pitches.

England mgmt have over thought their rotation in the squad and their desire to make one-day and T20 their bread and butter. Never know what their goal is. By contrast Kiwis just seem to play what's in front of them all the time.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
As an outsider, you need to realise that England's batting line-up has always been in crisis, with the exception of the Cook-Strauss-Trott-Bell top order, and even then everyone thought Bell only made runs in games that they were "going to win anyway".

But yeah, this lot are bad. Not entirely useless, but this is a particularly weak line up. You should've seen that in Sri Lanka when they were being congratulated for managing to all fit on Joe Root's back. Bairstow's four innings when he rejoined the tour in India were amongst the most atrocious I've ever seen, even with the crazy spinning pitches.

England mgmt have over thought their rotation in the squad and their desire to make one-day and T20 their bread and butter. Never know what their goal is. By contrast Kiwis just seem to play what's in front of them all the time.
Very shrewd assessment. The Strauss team had about five players in it averaging late 40s, a complete anomaly against anything else we’ve ever seen.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Very shrewd assessment. The Strauss team had about five players in it averaging late 40s, a complete anomaly against anything else we’ve ever seen.

Atherton
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe
Stewart (wk)

And for interest,

Hick
Ramprakash
John Crawley

What would they average against today's bowlers?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
It’s not just a case of being spoilt by that Strauss era side. In recent years we’ve consistently had a ropey start (again since Strauss retired I think) yet we were consistently ailed out by the mid to lower order (Prior, Moren at 8, Woakes etc) so we more often than not got away with a poor start.

Currently we’re not even seeing that. We will, to a point when we get a few players back but it does all feel a bit muddled.

COVID rules and regulations around availability aren’t helping it’s true (didn’t reply to Welshy’s post about why the IPL players aren’t back in the squad yes, which is a fair one).

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off

not unreasonable, but I think bell put that argument to bed in the 2013 ashes.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan

Concerning thing for England must be that it's not form, it is basic technique - now they are crap against both the spinning and the moving ball

Big gates between bat and pad with the ball moving in, flashing and prodding at wide balls, no idea where their off stump is. Their answer to this has been to take guard on off largely, which has exacerbated the problems

Silverwood out yesterday - Not a problem with selection, no need for a spinner, etc, etc and the next horror show beckons
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
it's possible that they should start on the review/report/analysis/etc now and not inevitably after we get smashed again in the winter.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
it's possible that they should start on the review/report/analysis/etc now and not inevitably after we get smashed again in the winter.
Mate, they can review all they like, but if only 2 or 3 of your batters have anything approaching a test match game, they may as well persist and hope the rest learn on the job

I'm a Kiwi anyway, so hey ho  ;D

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Mate, they can review all they like, but if only 2 or 3 of your batters have anything approaching a test match game, they may as well persist and hope the rest learn on the job

I'm a Kiwi anyway, so hey ho  ;D

I agree, but whenever teams get battered they always have a 'review' of their 'system' don't they?

might as well get on with it now.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
I agree, but whenever teams get battered they always have a 'review' of their 'system' don't they?

might as well get on with it now.
Oh well, at least it’s a nice day for it

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
When does the second test start?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
from what I've seen on twitter ath's there today. which seems somewhat pointless considering he's not done any of the previous days!

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
Atherton
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe
Stewart (wk)

And for interest,

Hick
Ramprakash
John Crawley

Those top 5 players walk into this side.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Atherton
Butcher
Hussain
Thorpe
Stewart (wk)

And for interest,

Hick
Ramprakash
John Crawley

Add those lads to their contemporary seaming selection.

• Legacy Fan
Resista... oh

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
How did England manage to get out before the official 11.00 start? I switched on at 11.01 and the innings break had already started. Is this another new level of comedy that they're trying out or something?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
Those top 5 players walk into this side.

Even now I’d imagine

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
4 for 8 incoming.

#believe

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Nice of New Zealand to finish the cricket off well before the football starts. ;D
#Sausages

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
8 wicket win, New Zealand will be disappointed

• Legacy Fan
8 wicket win, New Zealand will be disappointed

;D

I think they were particularly annoyed at having to come back today

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great win for NZ.

Looking forward to the final this week even though it's weird just having a one-off game. NZ are an excellent side and favourites. I think the bowling attacks are reasonably matched but the Indian top order needs to put something together in England and no warm ups because of the quarantine rules definitely doesn't help.

Can't wait for the 5 Test series too in a couple of months. With Stokes and Buttler back in it will be a very different proposition.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
The highlights have just started on BBC. They’ve actually started them from when the players walked out, presumably to fill some time. :D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
A bit disappointed we got 2 half arsed tests vs NZ and now loads of t20s and ODi's before the India series.

Would have liked to see the Test batsmen get more experience and confidence in, so my tickets for days 4 of Old Trafford are actually worth while.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
A bit disappointed we got 2 half arsed tests vs NZ and now loads of t20s and ODi's before the India series.

Would have liked to see the Test batsmen get more experience and confidence in, so my tickets for days 4 of Old Trafford are actually worth while.

You're not alone I suspect.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan

Late to the thread - but a rather big part of that axis missing there...

Everything very muddled with this test side. What is it they’re trying to do? Certainly not to entertain, nor to prioritise winning series, or even to find a settled team with the answers to key questions.

1 - Who’s the spinner we play? As a nation we’re weirdly averse to playing spinners who can’t bat. Unless Moeen comes back into form and favour Leach is our spinner. So why do we hate to play him?
2 - Who are our 3 seamers (or 4 if we decide no spinners). How do they work together and complement each other?
3 - Who the chuff bats? In theory 4,5,6 is solid with Stokes, Root, Buttler - but it’d be great if at least one of them could wait until at least lunch before being out in the middle...

There’s still a chance of a favourable result in favourable conditions against an India side who don’t tour often and don’t tour well here, but doubtful...

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Late to the thread - but a rather big part of that axis missing there...

Everything very muddled with this test side. What is it they’re trying to do? Certainly not to entertain, nor to prioritise winning series, or even to find a settled team with the answers to key questions.

1 - Who’s the spinner we play? As a nation we’re weirdly averse to playing spinners who can’t bat. Unless Moeen comes back into form and favour Leach is our spinner. So why do we hate to play him?
2 - Who are our 3 seamers (or 4 if we decide no spinners). How do they work together and complement each other?
3 - Who the chuff bats? In theory 4,5,6 is solid with Stokes, Root, Buttler - but it’d be great if at least one of them could wait until at least lunch before being out in the middle...

There’s still a chance of a favourable result in favourable conditions against an India side who don’t tour often and don’t tour well here, but doubtful...

I enjoyed the devil's tour a few years ago, when India for some reason kept reaching the score 66-6 several innings in a row.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Five things for England to fix before the Test series against India

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/jun/14/five-things-for-england-to-fix-before-the-test-series-against-india

1. Batting
2. Bowling
3. Fielding
4. Captaincy
5. ?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
the bowling isn't too bad.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
Five things for England to fix before the Test series against India

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/jun/14/five-things-for-england-to-fix-before-the-test-series-against-india
So their solution is for cricketers to play even more cricket and for Jonny Bairstow to be recalled?  :o  ;D

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Captaincy is the same issue we've had for years as well isn't it? Who else but Root? Jimmy's too old, Broad would rinse the reviews and no one else is guaranteed their starting slot.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Captaincy is the same issue we've had for years as well isn't it? Who else but Root? Jimmy's too old, Broad would rinse the reviews and no one else is guaranteed their starting slot.

Changing Root as captain would achieve nothing. It wouldn’t solve any of the bigger issues around the team.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Exactly. I'd only have two areas to focus on. Batting and catching. Get those two right and this is a good team.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
Good to a certain point. We will be clawing every single time to get 20 wickets in Australia. Nowhere near enough pace or threat. Archer and Wood can crank it up but Archer’s pace drops off a cliff after 1 spell and Wood might get injured putting pads on.

• Legacy Fan
the bowling isn't too bad.

I thought England's bowling was pretty good. Kept us honest. We never really kicked clear with really big inning leads.

Saw an interesting stat though. The NZ pace bowlers were, on average, a couple of feet fuller in length and also moved the ball, on average, 0.8 degrees more.