Author Topic: The BBC  (Read 130297 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The BBC
« Reply #1920 on: April 1, 2024, 08:51:57 pm »
I was talking about the Iphone!

;D

I used to do training courses in Milton Keynes in the 90s - absolute shithole.

Was in MK for a works meeting in Oct, soulless place.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1921 on: April 1, 2024, 09:22:46 pm »
;D

Was in MK for a works meeting in Oct, soulless place.

MK must be twinned with Skelmersdale then, both soulless towns & places with a thousand roundabouts.
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1922 on: April 2, 2024, 12:12:45 am »
MK must be twinned with Skelmersdale then, both soulless towns & places with a thousand roundabouts.
I did hear once that the roundabout in Skelmersdale was the biggest in Europe, although how you define a roundabout is tricky

https://www.evansdave.com/hal-mile-island/
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1923 on: April 2, 2024, 09:01:38 am »
I did hear once that the roundabout in Skelmersdale was the biggest in Europe, although how you define a roundabout is tricky

https://www.evansdave.com/hal-mile-island/

Used to mess about on that on Sunday mornings, teaching a mate how to get his knee down on the bike. It was on my way to/from work when I lived in Burscough, so I'd get my knee down going home
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1924 on: April 2, 2024, 10:31:44 am »
What's a knee-down - possibly an unsuccessful party?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1925 on: April 2, 2024, 11:37:45 am »
;D
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1926 on: April 5, 2024, 03:21:45 pm »
I spent some time there in the early 90s assisting my eccentric boss with a review of a company's IT systems. He'd arrived a few days before me and had been unable to find anywhere to eat that wasn't a fast food restaurant. By the time I turned up, he'd come up with a cunning plan to find some decent food - specifically that there must be a traditional pub+grub locally, that it would exist on part of the original town/village and that the old town/village could be identified by being on a road that was not part of the grid system. When we finished work for the day, he handed me a map and told me to navigate and we spent over an hour touring bends in the road in Milton Keynes with not a pub in sight. We'd have been there longer if I hadn't threatened to eat him (I get cross when I'm hungry) and we duly ended up in Stony Stratford.  ;D

There's a harvester, just outside Bletchley and just off a grid road that I always like.
Stony thinks it's great. But it isn't.  Though it is now home to one of my favourite chip shops .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1927 on: April 5, 2024, 09:18:03 pm »

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1928 on: April 6, 2024, 10:21:43 am »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: April 6, 2024, 10:27:25 am »

I was going to comment that MK is the non Scouse version of Skem 😂

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1930 on: April 6, 2024, 11:19:45 am »

Yeah, you were whooshed there, rob. :D
I knew that. I'm clever me.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1931 on: April 6, 2024, 01:56:27 pm »
It’s corruption
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1932 on: April 6, 2024, 02:38:43 pm »

Yeah, you were whooshed there, rob. :D

I always assume people know nothing 😉
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: April 6, 2024, 03:12:42 pm »
I always assume people know nothing 😉
And most of the time, you would be correct! ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1934 on: April 22, 2024, 06:32:50 pm »
Huw Edwards leaves the BBC on health grounds.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: April 22, 2024, 06:43:46 pm »
What on earth are the BBC doing playing somebody £400K a year to read out the News? It's obscene.

The best way for the BBC to save money would be to close the monolithic BBC News department, completely bloated and a waste of money. I can get my News from the 5 minute bulletins on the radio without the agenda, spin and hype that the BBC seem to apply to every News article nowadays.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1936 on: April 22, 2024, 09:48:35 pm »
What on earth are the BBC doing playing somebody £400K a year to read out the News? It's obscene.
They have a weird pay system.  They end up wildly overpaying some presenters - presumably to stop them going to other broadcasters - and then fall foul of age/sex discrimination legal action because they don't overpay everybody similarly (e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68844320).

I'd be happy if the Beeb were just a proving ground for young presenters.  If they make a name for themselves and want to earn more at a commercial broadcaster then wish them well and bring in the next presenter.  I couldn't care less who is reading the autocue on the various news shows just so long as they're moderately articulate.

I like Gary Lineker as a person and he's a steady presenter but if they advertised his gigs at 10% of the salary they'd still have thousands of high quality applicants.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1937 on: April 23, 2024, 12:51:11 am »
Huw Edwards leaves the BBC on health grounds.
the Scum chalks up another victim
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #1938 on: April 23, 2024, 09:20:30 am »
I'd be happy if the Beeb were just a proving ground for young presenters.  If they make a name for themselves and want to earn more at a commercial broadcaster then wish them well and bring in the next presenter.  I couldn't care less who is reading the autocue on the various news shows just so long as they're moderately articulate.

I like Gary Lineker as a person and he's a steady presenter but if they advertised his gigs at 10% of the salary they'd still have thousands of high quality applicants.
Experience may be required in a news environment where events are moving quickly but it's hard to see how the size of some of those salaries are justified.
Arguably The BBC would be better spending some money on fact checkers, especially now that news is a 24 hour rolling thing. They've had a few gaffs recently where they've allowed themselves to be manipulated by people with an agenda.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1939 on: April 23, 2024, 09:38:07 am »
Well if the Beeb are prepared to pay that much to hold onto presenters, then one can assume other broadcasters would want to offer close to that?

I agree it's stupid money to offer an news anchor, especially when there's still a definite pay gap between men and women in broadcasting. But if ITN or Sky is prepared to offer £250k a year, then clearly the BBC feels they have to make an offer too good to turn down.

News broadcasting relies heavily on stalwarts; people connect better to familiar faces. There's a case to be made to bring in fresh faces, and even allow them to move on if they get a suitable offer. But I expect the BBC don't want to be seen as either a stepping stone, nor a revolving door. And in the great scheme of things, there are only so many broadcasters, only so many news/current affairs programmes. The market for presenters, at least on national networks, may well be saturated at this point. Probably very hard to break into.

I'm neither yay or nay on the issue. Just speculating.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1940 on: April 23, 2024, 01:34:16 pm »
News broadcasting relies heavily on stalwarts; people connect better to familiar faces. There's a case to be made to bring in fresh faces, and even allow them to move on if they get a suitable offer. But I expect the BBC don't want to be seen as either a stepping stone, nor a revolving door. And in the great scheme of things, there are only so many broadcasters, only so many news/current affairs programmes. The market for presenters, at least on national networks, may well be saturated at this point. Probably very hard to break into.

Newsreaders change all the time, I cannot remember a time when I was bothered who was reading the news.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1941 on: April 23, 2024, 01:37:29 pm »
They have a weird pay system.  They end up wildly overpaying some presenters - presumably to stop them going to other broadcasters - and then fall foul of age/sex discrimination legal action because they don't overpay everybody similarly (e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68844320).

If you want to be really depressed, see what Jason Mohammed is paid for basically reading out a news feed and asking for people's reactions, once a week. £280k. That's almost twice what the PM gets.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1942 on: April 23, 2024, 03:43:39 pm »
Jason Mohammed does do things like the snooker too occasionally and I generally don’t like these X earns more then Y because there’s always people who are under and overpaid, when you put it like that and what the PM earns, what a NHS consultant earns for the hours they work compared to what Jason Mohammed probably works £280k is absolutely insane.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1943 on: April 23, 2024, 04:34:02 pm »
Jason Mohammed does do things like the snooker too occasionally and I generally don’t like these X earns more then Y because there’s always people who are under and overpaid, when you put it like that and what the PM earns, what a NHS consultant earns for the hours they work compared to what Jason Mohammed probably works £280k is absolutely insane.
It might be an unpopular view here, but what about football players earning this every week?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 09:37:23 pm by Jiminy Cricket »

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1944 on: April 23, 2024, 06:00:09 pm »
It might be an unpopular view here, but what football players earning this every week?

No footballer is worth that a week but it’s a competitive market distorted by financial doping, reading out the football scores for 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon doesn’t warrant that, it really doesn’t. I was thinking about my work, my senior manager earns half that for managing a team of 350 odd people and a budget of £50 million
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1945 on: April 23, 2024, 08:52:58 pm »
No footballer is worth that a week but it’s a competitive market distorted by financial doping, reading out the football scores for 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon doesn’t warrant that, it really doesn’t. I was thinking about my work, my senior manager earns half that for managing a team of 350 odd people and a budget of £50 million

I agree, with you.  It's bullshit!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1946 on: April 24, 2024, 01:25:42 pm »
Im sure Ive heard that ITV pay more than the BBC.

Alison Hammond  and Dermot O'leary are on £600k

Holly Willoughby is on £1M, I imagine Schofield was getting more. 

You get examples pf people going from BBC to ITV but less the other way around.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1947 on: April 24, 2024, 02:22:10 pm »

ITV is a private company, though.  Obviously, they are all way overpaid.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1948 on: April 24, 2024, 02:30:58 pm »
ITV is a private company, though.  Obviously, they are all way overpaid.

Of course but thats the market the BBC operate in.  You can either pay Lineker Edwards etc or see them leave.  One might argue that they should let the  leave, and its a valid argument. For me one of the values of the BBC is the company it provides communities, particularly the elderly. An example is people reaction to the death of Steve Wright.

Chris Evans has kept me calm during many a traffic jam.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1949 on: April 24, 2024, 02:36:45 pm »

This morning is at least on 5 days a week and a few hours a day, Dermott O’Leary also does a lot of other stuff on ITV I think too and is almost seen by some as a national treasure, and while I don’t see the appeal of Willoughby other then I’m a red blooded male but a lot of people seem to be fans of hers, rightly or wrongly they give a shit about her and all of that stuff and would be disappointed if she’s want on the TV would anyone notice if Jason Mohammed wasn’t on our TVs?
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1950 on: April 24, 2024, 02:41:46 pm »
This morning is at least on 5 days a week and a few hours a day, Dermott O’Leary also does a lot of other stuff on ITV I think too and is almost seen by some as a national treasure, and while I don’t see the appeal of Willoughby other then I’m a red blooded male but a lot of people seem to be fans of hers, rightly or wrongly they give a shit about her and all of that stuff and would be disappointed if she’s want on the TV would anyone notice if Jason Mohammed wasn’t on our TVs?

Fair point on Mohammed not being missed, he is possibly an exception to the rule. That said I like having Brown Welsh people on telly. 

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1951 on: April 24, 2024, 03:13:27 pm »
Think J-Mo also does some work on Radio 2. And probably BBC/Radio Wales so he probably does more than just Final Score to earn his dollar.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1952 on: April 24, 2024, 03:23:10 pm »
Think J-Mo also does some work on Radio 2. And probably BBC/Radio Wales so he probably does more than just Final Score to earn his dollar.

Hes on Radio Wales, think hes also done MOTD2 sometimes

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1953 on: April 24, 2024, 03:31:43 pm »
This is the list of top earners
Spoiler
Gary Lineker - £1,350,000 - £1,354,999
Zoe Ball - £980,000 - £984,999
Alan Shearer - £450,000 - £454,999
Steve Wright - £450,000 - £454,999
Stephen Nolan - £415,000 - £419,999
Huw Edwards - £410,000 - £414,999
Fiona Bruce - £410,000 - £414,999
Vanessa Feltz - £400,000 - £404,999
Scott Mills - £400,000 - £404,999
Greg James - £390,000 - £394,999
Ken Bruce - £385,000 - £389,999
Lauren Laverne - £380,000 - £384,999
Naga Munchetty - £365,000 - £369,999
Emily Maitlis - £325,000 - £329,999
George Alagiah - £325,000 - £329,999
Amol Rajan - £325,000 - £329,999
Sophie Raworth - £305,000 - £309,000
Nicky Campbell - £295,000 - £299,999
Jeremy Vine - £290,000 - £294,999
Jason Mohammad - £285,000 - £289,999
Mishal Husain - £275,000 - £279,999
Sara Cox - £275,000 - £279,999
Nick Robinson - £270,000 - £274,999
Evan Davis - £270,000 - £274,999
Jo Whiley - £265,000 - £269,999
Andrew Marr - £265,000 - £269,999
Laura Kuenssberg - £260,000 - £264,999
Clive Myrie - £255,000 - £259,999
Justin Webb - £255,000 - £259,999
Martha Kearney - £255,000 - £254,999
Mark Chapman - £250,000 - £254,999
Sarah Montague - £245,000 - £249,999
Kirsty Wark - £245,000 - £249,999
Victoria Derbyshire - £240,000 - £244,999
Faisal Islam - £240,000 - £244,999
Jeremy Bowen: £230,000 - £234,999
Jon Sopel - £225,000 - £229,999
Michael Vaughan - £225,000 - £229,999
Dan Walker - £220,000 - £224,999
Jermaine Jenas - £220,000 - £224,999
Emma Barnett - £215,000 - £219,999
Mary Berry - £215,000 - £219,999
Katya Adler -£215,000 - £219,999
Trevor Nelson: £210,000 - £214,999
Fergal Keane - £210,000 - £214,999
Clare Balding - £205,000 - £209,999
Simon Jack - £205,000 - £209,999
Louis Theroux - £200,000 - £204,999
Reeta Chakrabarti - £200,000 - £204,999
Gabby Logan - £200,000 - £204,999
Micah Richards - £200,000 - £204,999
Alex Scott - £195,000 - £199,999
Charlie Stayt - £190,000 - £194,999
Sarah Smith - £190,000 - £194,999
Mark Easton - £190,000 - £194,999
Sue Barker - £185,000 - £189,999
John McEnroe - £180,000 - £184,999
Rachel Burden - £180,000 - £184,999
Stephen Sackur - £175,000 - £179,999
Jonathan Agnew - £175,000 - £179,999
Ben Brown - £170,000 - £174,999
Orla Guerin - £160,000 - £164,999
Harpreet Bhullar - £160,000 - £164,999
Colin Murray - £160,000 - £164,999
Joanna Gosling - £155,000 - £159,999
Clara Amfo - £155,000 - £159,999
Claudia Winkleman - £155,000 - £159,999
Chris Sutton - £155,000 - £159,999
Isa Guha - £155,000 - £159,999
Nihal Arthanayake - £150,000 - £154,999
Steve Lamacq - £150,000 - £154,999 
[close]

warning it contains the name Jrmaine Jenas

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1954 on: April 24, 2024, 03:38:37 pm »
Fair point on Mohammed not being missed, he is possibly an exception to the rule. That said I like having Brown Welsh people on telly. 

You must be a Tom Jones fan :D
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1955 on: April 24, 2024, 03:41:57 pm »
You must be a Tom Jones fan :D
;D

Of course 

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1956 on: April 24, 2024, 03:56:21 pm »

We know you are odd, but surely not all 350 are odd?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1957 on: April 24, 2024, 04:59:59 pm »
We know you are odd, but surely not all 350 are odd?

You’d be surprised!
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1958 on: April 24, 2024, 07:11:27 pm »
Those salaries don't look that high to me, although maybe that's my American eyes looking at it as things are always inflated over here. You have to pay a premium to anyone who's in the public eye imo because of the online abuse they'll get, and the scrutiny into their personal lives - Huw Edwards being an obvious example.