Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 611785 times)

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
Re: NBA Discussion
« Reply #8000 on: June 17, 2021, 10:34:09 pm »
First Nelson, now Carlisle gone. Changes at Dallas, wonder if it's coincidental or there's some fallout.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8001 on: June 17, 2021, 10:52:58 pm »
First Nelson, now Carlisle gone. Changes at Dallas, wonder if it's coincidental or there's some fallout.
https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1405636744016318464?s=19

For you Game of Thrones fans
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8002 on: June 18, 2021, 12:58:10 am »
Simmons, definitely. Embid, nah. Doc is a fraud, living off that Boston championship to this day.
Docs playoffs since his Boston title https://twitter.com/nygdaily/status/1405351610583244801?s=21
Also he a blew a 3-1 also in Orlando with tracy mcgrady in 2004. He is a very good coach however however his series adjustment have not been good.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8003 on: June 18, 2021, 08:45:54 am »
Jazz are blowing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Hope Conley can get up for game 6, otherwise it's over.

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8004 on: June 18, 2021, 09:29:07 am »
Glad bucks pushed it till the 7. I'd piss meself if this Nets team fucked it with the roster they've got. Probably blame it on not Aldridge retiring haha
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8005 on: June 18, 2021, 09:37:17 am »
https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1405636744016318464?s=19

For you Game of Thrones fans
The Athletic reporting was bang on. It's barely been a couple of days since they released that report of friction between Luka and Voulgaris and now all this has happened.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8006 on: June 18, 2021, 11:09:38 am »
The Athletic reporting was bang on. It's barely been a couple of days since they released that report of friction between Luka and Voulgaris and now all this has happened.

Only someone as profoundly weird as Cuban could have an arrogant, socially inept former professional gambler running a front office and risking alienating a once in a generation player who's soon to be eligible for a long term extension.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8007 on: June 18, 2021, 04:01:14 pm »
Celtics sending Kemba and 1st round (16th) to Thunder for Al Horford and others.

I guess it frees cap room to re-sign Fournier? maybe make some moves?

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8008 on: June 18, 2021, 11:21:32 pm »
Celtics sending Kemba and 1st round (16th) to Thunder for Al Horford and others.

I guess it frees cap room to re-sign Fournier? maybe make some moves?
It a money swap on kemba and hordford with pick 16 for moses brown. Im sure they want fournier back wonder if they go for dame or look to take a chance on upcoming RFA Lonzo Ball or trade for in the last year of rookie contract Colin Sexton

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8009 on: June 18, 2021, 11:27:49 pm »
I must admit I don't know the ins and outs of the contracts for their roster, but I remember 3 or so years ago I was hearing that this Celtics team had a shedload of drafts to come and cap space, geared to dominate for years to come. Yet the Bucks and Nets rose and the Celtics look left behind in some way.

I dunno, I might have been listening to Bill Burr too much.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8010 on: June 18, 2021, 11:57:50 pm »
I must admit I don't know the ins and outs of the contracts for their roster, but I remember 3 or so years ago I was hearing that this Celtics team had a shedload of drafts to come and cap space, geared to dominate for years to come. Yet the Bucks and Nets rose and the Celtics look left behind in some way.

I dunno, I might have been listening to Bill Burr too much.

All the draft picks that they were due from bad teams (especially two from Memphis and Sacramento) ended up being only late lottery and they refused time and time again to pull the trigger and package their assets in a trade for a star. First it was for George back when he went to OKC, then Kawhi when he went to Toronto, Butler when he went to the Sixers and later Davis before he was traded to the Lakers (although Klutch/Lebron would've never let that happen once AD signed with them). At the same time they had some bad luck with injuries and spent their cap space on poor FA signings , both in terms of fit and durability (Hayward, Horford). On top of that they ended up losing Kyrie for nothing in free agency cause they were somehow convinced that he would re-sign with them. It's pretty staggering how they ended up mismanaging what seemed to be a really promising championship window, and they never really managed to field a real contending team.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8011 on: June 19, 2021, 12:06:23 am »
Cheers for that, wow, didn't know circumstances had gone the other way on so many avenues.

Yes there were really high hopes that Ainge was building something lasting. Has this window of opportunity closed now? or will moving on from Kemba start some domino effect to revamp what's going on.

Lakers for examples are tied up for cap space, so all those creaky bones and bodies will have to somehow rest up and go again for another 2 or 3 years I think, but perhaps the Celtics have more room to maneuver with.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8012 on: June 20, 2021, 07:52:41 am »
Bucks in seven then. As long as the clippers don't win I'll be happy and wouldn't begrudge CP3 a ring

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8013 on: June 20, 2021, 10:36:30 am »
Fantastic game 7.

On a side note, goddamnit John!

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1405727519895076865

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #8014 on: June 21, 2021, 03:11:53 am »
This game is absolute trash. Young can't make a basket to save his life.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8015 on: June 21, 2021, 04:32:09 am »
Surely Simmons gets traded in the offseason! Absolutely crumbled under pressure over the last 3-4 games in that series. Hasn’t even come close to improving his free throw or mid/longe range shooting since entering the league 5 years ago. Doubt they can get much for him on that big contract though.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8016 on: June 21, 2021, 07:30:30 am »
Surely Simmons gets traded in the offseason! Absolutely crumbled under pressure over the last 3-4 games in that series. Hasn’t even come close to improving his free throw or mid/longe range shooting since entering the league 5 years ago. Doubt they can get much for him on that big contract though.
I think so, it's been a long experiment for them. He is a great basketball player but clearly it doesn't work atm and it doesn't make them contenders.

Then again, if Nets are healthy, other Eastern teams won't have much chance. This could have been the year for 76ers and they screwed it up.
Also the year Ty Lue gets Clippers to conference finals, Doc screws up again.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8017 on: June 21, 2021, 07:32:39 am »
Too much for the narrative "Trae Young's game doesn't translate into wins, they can't succeed in play-off's as him being the first option"
Happy for the kid. Also, Hawks team is so likeable with Bogdan, Gallo in it.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8018 on: June 21, 2021, 07:33:26 am »
Bucks in seven then. As long as the clippers don't win I'll be happy and wouldn't begrudge CP3 a ring
Same here, Suns-Bucks final is my guess anyways. Giannis getting a ring would be great for that city.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8019 on: June 21, 2021, 07:39:03 am »
Booker is one dimensional inefficient chucker X
Trae is ball hog and his game doesn't win you games in play-off's X
CP3 is washed up and collecting checks X
Giannis can't shoot hence Bucks can never succeed with Giannis being a first option X

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8020 on: June 21, 2021, 07:47:46 am »
I think so, it's been a long experiment for them. He is a great basketball player but clearly it doesn't work atm and it doesn't make them contenders.

Then again, if Nets are healthy, other Eastern teams won't have much chance. This could have been the year for 76ers and they screwed it up.
Also the year Ty Lue gets Clippers to conference finals, Doc screws up again.

As an Australian I am disappointed that Ben hasn't evolved his game, he should be one of the best players in the world, and probably would have been in another era, but non-shooting PGs are anathema to the modern game. I wonder if he will play PF or C at his next club? I don't know enough about the game to know where he fits. Elite perimeter defender so I guess he's wasted at C, elite ball handler and passer so is he wasted in the low post? Does the low post even exist any more? Help!

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8021 on: June 21, 2021, 07:53:29 am »
As an Australian I am disappointed that Ben hasn't evolved his game, he should be one of the best players in the world, and probably would have been in another era, but non-shooting PGs are anathema to the modern game. I wonder if he will play PF or C at his next club? I don't know enough about the game to know where he fits. Elite perimeter defender so I guess he's wasted at C, elite ball handler and passer so is he wasted in the low post? Does the low post even exist any more? Help!
Chuck (Barkley) mentioned this few days ago and said it was a major fault of 76ers management that this kid comes to the league and they didn't make any plans to imrpove his shooting, you can't let a kid be "yourself" especially in today's game where shooting is huge. He will be the main ball handler for sure so he won't be a real PF-C, he will be more like Giannis in his new team. He is still only 24, he can still improve a lot.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8022 on: June 21, 2021, 08:07:58 am »
Yeah, Chuck made a good point that they should have forced him to shoot more 2-3 years ago. 4 shots attempted in a game 7 is really poor.

Good set of finalists though, should be entertaining at least.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8023 on: June 21, 2021, 08:11:34 am »
Yeah, Chuck made a good point that they should have forced him to shoot more 2-3 years ago. 4 shots attempted in a game 7 is really poor.

Good set of finalists though, should be entertaining at least.
could have been the best if Jazz didn't choke against the Clippers.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8024 on: June 21, 2021, 08:15:59 am »
could have been the best if Jazz didn't choke against the Clippers.
Yeah, but it is what it is. Kind of happy for Lue, he's a decent coach and he's showing it.

Ben Simmons' stats from Games 5-7 against the Hawks

Game 5: 38 min - 8 pts - 4 reb - 9 ast - 2/4 FG - 4/14 FT

Game 6: 25 min - 6 pts - 9 reb - 5 ast - 2/6 FG - 2/4 FT

Game 7: 36 min - 5 pts - 8 reb - 13 ast - 2/4 FG - 1/2 FT

That's brutal.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8025 on: June 21, 2021, 08:22:44 am »
Who would take Ben and that big ass contract off their hands?

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8026 on: June 21, 2021, 09:01:48 am »
Send him to Charlotte for Ball but i suppose they would never do that.
They could have worked a Kemba Walker trade with Celtics.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8027 on: June 21, 2021, 09:33:24 am »

They need rid of him though, his confidence looked gone. Passing when the layup is there cos he knew he'd be fouled and put to the line

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8028 on: June 21, 2021, 12:54:26 pm »
They need rid of him though, his confidence looked gone. Passing when the layup is there cos he knew he'd be fouled and put to the line
yeah that was sad to watch, i feel for the kid.

https://twitter.com/thatguydavid718/status/1406931005726986242?s=20

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8029 on: June 21, 2021, 01:00:21 pm »
I don't feel for him. He's had years and years to practice on his shot, hell just be a decent free throw shooter.

Got not sympathy for that.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8030 on: June 21, 2021, 01:17:40 pm »
I don't feel for him. He's had years and years to practice on his shot, hell just be a decent free throw shooter.

Got not sympathy for that.
As for his shot improvement, he was a very young kid who came into the league at the age of 18 from a different country and had an injury that put him out for his rookie year. I blame more 76ers than him to be honest.

You are right about his free throw shooting though, that's more on him.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8031 on: June 21, 2021, 01:31:04 pm »
As for his shot improvement, he was a very young kid who came into the league at the age of 18 from a different country and had an injury that put him out for his rookie year. I blame more 76ers than him to be honest.

You are right about his free throw shooting though, that's more on him.

He's got to take ownership of his shot as well. 76ers aren't at fault, but at some point you got to realize that you have to change your shot. I'm not blaming him when he entered the league, but this is his 4th season now just finished. it shouldn't take that long to come to terms that you have to work on this, 76ers or not.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8032 on: June 21, 2021, 08:40:01 pm »
Tyronn Lue: Three Black Coaches In Final Four Says A Lot About How We've Been Coaching

Tyronn Lue reflected on how three of the final four coaches this season are Black with Monty Williams of the Phoenix Suns and Nate McMillan of the Atlanta Hawks joining him.

“Three of the four coaches left standing are going to be Black coaches,” said Lue. “That says a lot about how we have been coaching. Hopefully, so we can stop getting looked down upon so we can just build, build the way for other young Black coaches.

“I think a lot of openings this summer, hopefully, a lot of GMs and owners will see that Black coaches are good coaches and hope they give an opportunity for the young coaches coming up today.”

----------------------

He proobably means well but i really don't like this from Ty Lue.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8033 on: June 21, 2021, 08:50:27 pm »
Tyronn Lue: Three Black Coaches In Final Four Says A Lot About How We've Been Coaching

Tyronn Lue reflected on how three of the final four coaches this season are Black with Monty Williams of the Phoenix Suns and Nate McMillan of the Atlanta Hawks joining him.

“Three of the four coaches left standing are going to be Black coaches,” said Lue. “That says a lot about how we have been coaching. Hopefully, so we can stop getting looked down upon so we can just build, build the way for other young Black coaches.

“I think a lot of openings this summer, hopefully, a lot of GMs and owners will see that Black coaches are good coaches and hope they give an opportunity for the young coaches coming up today.”

----------------------

I think he's bang on though.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8034 on: June 21, 2021, 09:53:25 pm »
I think he's bang on though.

Bang on about what?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8035 on: June 21, 2021, 10:04:17 pm »
Bang on about what?

NBA needs more black coaches.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8036 on: June 21, 2021, 10:52:43 pm »

----------------------

I don't understand how you don't like what he said there.  He's 100% spot on. 

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8037 on: June 21, 2021, 11:52:57 pm »
Yeah, I think there's been an underlying subconscious assumption for a long time in sports that whites are more cerebral and blacks are more physical. I don't follow the NFL these days, but my understanding is that there are far more black quarterbacks these days, whereas when I was watching in the mid 90s there was only one in the entire league. It's crazy that in a league like the NBA where maybe 80% or more of the players are black, that there were only a few black coaches until the last 15 years or so. I'm not saying anyone is deliberately holding anyone back, but people fall into gender and racial roles over time, and sometimes you need to challenge that.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8038 on: June 22, 2021, 12:46:14 am »
Chuck (Barkley) mentioned this few days ago and said it was a major fault of 76ers management that this kid comes to the league and they didn't make any plans to imrpove his shooting, you can't let a kid be "yourself" especially in today's game where shooting is huge. He will be the main ball handler for sure so he won't be a real PF-C, he will be more like Giannis in his new team. He is still only 24, he can still improve a lot.
He cant defend PF/C as well with just having a 7 foot wingspan he not very long for his size. https://lakeshowlife.com/2016/06/01/nba-draft-2016-ben-simmons-pre-draft-measurements-wingspan-vertical-chad-ford-lakers-prospect/
He also should switch hands shooting. He takes like 70% of layups with his right hand.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8039 on: June 22, 2021, 12:51:46 pm »
NBA needs more black coaches.

Why though? If anything, the NBA needs to start considering women for more head coach and assistant coach roles given there hasn't been a single female Head Coach in the entire history of the NBA. The same goes for football by the way, I appreciate it took some time for the women's game to catch up but listening to coaches like Emma Hayes on ITV during the Euros, there's absolutely no reason why she wouldn't be able to coach a professional men's side.

The NBA previously had eight Black head coaches at the beginning of the 2018-19 season and 14 during the 2012-13 season. That hardly matches the Black representation elsewhere. Out of the league's 185 assistant-coaching positions, 85 of the coaches are people of color. Meanwhile, 74.2% of the NBA players are Black.

I think it's just lazy to suggest that the reduction in black head coaches is racially motivated since 2012/13. There are often cycles in sports, and the funny thing is in 3/4 years time I bet we'll be looking at an NBA where the majority of coaches are black. And I find it difficult to believe that certain coaches are preferred due to the colour of their skin, in a sport where 75% of the players are black. If that were the case, surely that same view would translate into having more white players in the league? There are enough examples of racism in the World, it's frustrating when ordinary decisions are somehow made out to be racially motivated.

Gersson Rosas appointed Chris Finch as Head Coach of the Timberwolves earlier in the year over David Vanterpool, and was immediately accused of underhand racism which was just nonsense. He'd worked with Chris Finch at the Rockets for years, and to be fair Finch edged it when it came to Head Coach experience due to his previous roles at Denver and New Orleans. That's not to say David Vanterpool wasn't ready for the role because he absolutely is ready for a head coaching role, but it's frustrating when active superstars within the NBA (Dame Lillard) come out and start throwing the racism card when there's clearly no justification for it. Business often comes down to who you know, and not what you know.

Now saying that, yes I agree people have to start somewhere and why not appoint someone even if some of the other candidates have more experience on paper. That's the argument that should be made for some of the candidates for these roles who don't necessarily have head coach experience within the NBA. But I struggle to believe the majority of the Head Coach appointments are racially motivated. Brad Stevens is said to be keen to have a more diverse front office at the Celtics, and the Celtics are reportedly keen to appointment 'a person of colour' in the vacant Head Coach role, don't think anyone can disagree with that approach. But shoehorning in a candidate to a vacancy because of their ethnicity is wrong regardless of how you view it, and hopefully with a more measured approach both the Celtics and the NBA as a whole will continue to grow with more and more candidates from all backgrounds gaining access to both coaching and front office roles.