Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 339340 times)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #2560 on: February 10, 2021, 01:11:15 am »
And when they were younger they used to get the ferry over to France as a family. They’d all get incredibly sea sick and the only way they could cure it was for the siblings and parents to stand in a wall...

It's been a good run, but retirement arrives for everyone :P
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2561 on: February 10, 2021, 08:49:00 am »
And when they were younger they used to get the ferry over to France as a family. They’d all get incredibly sea sick and the only way they could cure it was for the siblings and parents to stand in a wall...

FFS
Jurgen YNWA

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2562 on: February 10, 2021, 08:55:34 am »
Use the app.

We've all been using tin foil wrong according to top chef

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/top-chef-explains-how-you-17613211#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

I think that's been proven to be false, apparently makes no difference which side is out

Edit * was some youtube video, apparently the shiny side is just down to the manufacturing process and makes no difference, just which side was facing up when squished
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:54:03 pm by [new username under construction] »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2563 on: February 10, 2021, 08:57:33 am »
It's been a good run, but retirement arrives for everyone :P

You fucking started it. :D

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2564 on: February 11, 2021, 01:22:38 pm »
Found this out from the chase the other day. Thomas Midgley developed chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and also the lead additive for petrol in the early part of the 20th century and will be known for having more impact on the atmosphere than any other single person in Earth's history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2565 on: February 11, 2021, 03:44:13 pm »
Couldn't remember the name but read that same fact in A Brief History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, which I thought was a decent book. The same book mentions about slugs being "created" by different bits of slime/organisms coming together, rather than breeding, think it was in specific conditions but it was bizarre to read.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2566 on: February 11, 2021, 03:53:42 pm »
Found this out from the chase the other day. Thomas Midgley developed chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and also the lead additive for petrol in the early part of the 20th century and will be known for having more impact on the atmosphere than any other single person in Earth's history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

Whoever came up with bitcoins is having a good go at winning that title. I was reading last night mining for bit coins uses more electricity than Argentina uses.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2567 on: February 14, 2021, 07:18:43 pm »
The eagles from Lord of the Rings grew up to be Pier Head seagulls.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2568 on: February 15, 2021, 08:36:56 am »
Kate & Rooney Mara's families founded the Pittsburgh Steelers (maternal) and New York Giants (paternal).
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2569 on: February 15, 2021, 06:26:36 pm »
English Hymn tune "Thaxted" AKA The "World in Union" Rugby World Cup Theme are in fact taken from Gustav Holst's "The Planets" suite. (Jupiter Movement)

Didn't realise Holst was English either.

Thanks to the 'Pointless' head to head round for alerting me to this :)

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2570 on: February 20, 2021, 07:46:26 am »
in old england ale was ordered in pints and quarts

when customers got unruly the bartender would tell them 'mind your pints and quarts'

it's where the phrase mind your Ps and Qs comes from

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2571 on: February 20, 2021, 09:54:31 am »
in old england ale was ordered in pints and quarts

when customers got unruly the bartender would tell them 'mind your pints and quarts'

it's where the phrase mind your Ps and Qs comes from
Wow!  I always thought it referred to please and thank you as in mind your manners.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2572 on: March 2, 2021, 05:57:42 pm »
Just found out from watching a repeat of pointless, that the song Turn! Turn! Turn!, made famous by The Byrds, is a religious song with the lyrics lifted straight from the Bible. I just thought it was a hippy song, peace and love and all that.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #2573 on: March 2, 2021, 06:24:26 pm »
Brenda Blethyn's real surname is Bottle, and she has eight siblings - Bernard Bottle, Martin Bottle, Jeannie Bottle, Brian Bottle, Terry Bottle, Pam Bottle, Ted Bottle, Bill Bottle.

They liked to sit on a wall with their Dad
« Last Edit: March 2, 2021, 06:54:13 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #2574 on: March 2, 2021, 06:26:56 pm »
A woman was once hit by a meteorite as she sat in her house.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/2/130220-russia-meteorite-ann-hodges-science-space-hit/

Reminds me of the ‘famous last words’ of the astronomer who spent his life searching for meteors that could potentially collide with the earth....’F##k me, a bus!’.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2575 on: March 2, 2021, 11:45:02 pm »
They liked to sit on a wall with their Dad

The one they're really taking the piss with is Jeannie.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2576 on: March 9, 2021, 01:45:51 pm »
I appear to have had what is known as an ocular migraine yesterday having never had a migraine in my life previously.

I was typing an email and notices a blurry spot on the screen in my peripheral vision. I looked towards it and it moved which made me realise something was up with my vision. Within ten minutes, my entire right hand side of my vision was like looking through a moving kaleidoscope. It happened through both eyes or with either one of them covered. The right hand-side of my vision was kind of like this (but moving about and rotating):

Whilst my sight was still semi-functional I Googled to check I wasn't having a stroke(!) then went for a lie-down with a face mask on to block out any light. An hour later I was completely back to normal.

Online pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #2577 on: March 9, 2021, 02:29:00 pm »
I appear to have had what is known as an ocular migraine yesterday having never had a migraine in my life previously.

I was typing an email and notices a blurry spot on the screen in my peripheral vision. I looked towards it and it moved which made me realise something was up with my vision. Within ten minutes, my entire right hand side of my vision was like looking through a moving kaleidoscope. It happened through both eyes or with either one of them covered. The right hand-side of my vision was kind of like this (but moving about and rotating):

Whilst my sight was still semi-functional I Googled to check I wasn't having a stroke(!) then went for a lie-down with a face mask on to block out any light. An hour later I was completely back to normal.

I get this. It appears like a shimmer and goes across the field of sight. Takes about 20 mins to do its 'cycle' Scared the shit out of me the first time I had it. Sometimes get a mild headache afterwards.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2578 on: March 9, 2021, 02:53:33 pm »
yeh i've had that kaleidoscope thingy migraine

but mine starts off like an old game of space invaders with the aliens marching from one side to the other until they completely cover my vision

one time my sight went completely 'white' - all i could see was white and i thought i'd lost my vision

turns out that it was the fact that i was spending too much time working on a white board (for graphic art purposes)

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2579 on: March 9, 2021, 05:22:43 pm »
I get this. It appears like a shimmer and goes across the field of sight. Takes about 20 mins to do its 'cycle' Scared the shit out of me the first time I had it. Sometimes get a mild headache afterwards.

Had this one time too, same as you, scared the shit out of me.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2580 on: March 9, 2021, 10:02:42 pm »
I've had the 'shimmer' migraine on a regular basis all my life, sometimes when over tired or after a period of stress. It can be quite debilitating and can often feel like a really bad hangover.

It pisses me off when someone with a headache says they've got 'a migraine' sane as the hypochondriacs with a cold who complain of 'a flu'.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2581 on: March 10, 2021, 08:53:52 am »
During the formation of Earth, molten iron sank to its centre to make the core. This took with it the vast majority of the planet's precious metals -- such as gold and platinum. In fact, there are enough precious metals in the core to cover the entire surface of Earth with a four-metre thick layer.

money certainly does make the world go around

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2582 on: March 10, 2021, 08:59:25 am »
I’ve had this too since in my 20s , it’s like a form of tunnel vision and to see anything to your left or right you have to turn you head . I always feel I get it from driving in the sunlight or being close to something really white and bright , always feel ever so slightly nauseous but never vomit or nothing . Usually a lay down in a dark room seems to cure it .

Not too sure of it’s hereditary but my mum has always suffered from migraines , really bad ones were she is in bed for a few days and is vomiting as well as vision issues .

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2583 on: March 10, 2021, 09:12:32 am »
Interesting that others get it too. Reading online suggests it's pretty rare. I would be a bit fucked if it happened when I was driving. Guess I'd just have to pull over and let it work its way out my my system.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2584 on: March 10, 2021, 07:23:37 pm »
money certainly does make the world go around
Money also certainly make life possible on Earth. The core generating the magnetic field that shields us from the solar radiation, I mean, of course. ;)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2585 on: March 11, 2021, 10:51:37 pm »
Interesting that others get it too. Reading online suggests it's pretty rare. I would be a bit fucked if it happened when I was driving. Guess I'd just have to pull over and let it work its way out my my system.

Hello Mr Ferguson  :wave

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2586 on: March 12, 2021, 03:41:15 pm »
I’ve had this too since in my 20s , it’s like a form of tunnel vision and to see anything to your left or right you have to turn you head . I always feel I get it from driving in the sunlight or being close to something really white and bright , always feel ever so slightly nauseous but never vomit or nothing . Usually a lay down in a dark room seems to cure it .

Not too sure of it’s hereditary but my mum has always suffered from migraines , really bad ones were she is in bed for a few days and is vomiting as well as vision issues .

My nan had it bad, vomiting etc. Neither of my kids have it but maybe it skips a generation.

About 20 years ago my GP decided that a course of beta blockers may help. On the basis that I'd try anything I gave them a go. The first day I was driving through Liverpool to St Helens, a route I travelled regularly, got to Kensongton and I completely lost my bearings, didn't know what day it was and went into a dream like phase for a few minutes.

As the cure was worse than the malady I stopped the beta blockers straight away.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2587 on: March 17, 2021, 11:24:44 am »
some intersting facts about one of the greatest (IMO) albums of all time - never mind the bollocks

Kurt Cobain from Nirvana listed the album on his Top 50 favourite albums, and the title of Nirvana's second album, Nevermind, was inspired by the Sex Pistols' album, which at the time, angered Rotten.

on the recording of it

During this time period, bassist Sid Vicious stumbled into the same recording room as rock band Queen. Vicious aimed an insult at lead singer Freddie Mercury, saying "Have you brought ballet to the masses, yet?" Mercury got up and responded, "Aren't you Simon Ferocious or something? What're you going to do about it?", took him by the collar and threw him out of the room.

love that

...i'm also a big queen fan too

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2588 on: March 17, 2021, 09:42:18 pm »
...i'm also a big queen fan too
Simon Ferocious  :lmao
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2589 on: March 19, 2021, 10:41:04 pm »
All these years I thought they were from Australia..  ::)

The Bee Gees hail from the Isle of Man.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2590 on: March 20, 2021, 07:19:33 am »
I had no idea till the other day the Alan Kennedy played in the 74 cup final for Newcastle. Just thought it was Terry McDermott.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2591 on: March 20, 2021, 09:20:30 pm »
All these years I thought they were from Australia..  ::)

The Bee Gees hail from the Isle of Man.

Lived in Chorlton before they emigrated too
Jurgen YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2592 on: March 20, 2021, 11:19:25 pm »
Lived in Chorlton before they emigrated too

Probably a key factor in why they did.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2593 on: March 21, 2021, 01:11:50 pm »
Probably a key factor in why they did.
Wheelie?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2594 on: March 28, 2021, 02:05:33 pm »
'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo' is a legitimate sentence in English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2595 on: March 28, 2021, 02:59:08 pm »
'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo' is a legitimate sentence in English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

Wrecked my head trying to understand the explaination, got it now though
Jurgen YNWA

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #2596 on: March 28, 2021, 03:16:10 pm »

How did you even discover that?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2597 on: March 28, 2021, 03:23:21 pm »

He was leaving his Dad's house, and had just turned into an alleyway when he heard the words... "Bye son... Bye son... Bye son..." 

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2598 on: March 28, 2021, 03:33:54 pm »

No idea cow that happened...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2599 on: March 28, 2021, 04:42:16 pm »
Rawk has a radar.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill