Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 339368 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #2440 on: September 11, 2020, 07:14:57 pm »
As rich as Croesus?

The first real currency (in the west), he was the king of Lydia (now in Turkey).  His currency was based on electrum.

Prbbaky the richest person ever to have existed
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2441 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:57 pm »
Mansa Musa 14th Century ruler of Mali is supposedly the richest man who ever lived https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47379458

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2442 on: September 11, 2020, 08:18:31 pm »
Mansa Musa 14th Century ruler of Mali is supposedly the richest man who ever lived https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47379458
Yes I had heard that... all relative I suppose... but Croesus controlled the only currency so has a pretty good shout!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2443 on: September 12, 2020, 11:29:52 am »
Nah, King Midas surely
Jurgen YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2444 on: September 13, 2020, 03:32:56 pm »
Ants take power naps 

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2445 on: September 13, 2020, 07:48:47 pm »
The remaining Habsburgs have a big family WhatsApp group.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2446 on: September 13, 2020, 07:54:48 pm »
The remaining Habsburgs have a big family WhatsApp group.

As well as big chins?

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2447 on: September 17, 2020, 12:21:04 am »
Uriah rennie was the last BAME premier league official retired in 2009.

I remember but didn’t think it was 11 years. A shame really on just a simple statement on diversity and how the premier league looks to a global audience.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2448 on: September 17, 2020, 04:46:30 am »
Yep - simple understated and not overblown with dramatic music and 3D animated effects thank god

Everybody reading this now twisting their forearms

Right!  ;D

No wonder they call it the funny bone.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2449 on: September 17, 2020, 12:09:19 pm »
Uriah rennie was the last BAME premier league official retired in 2009.

I remember but didn’t think it was 11 years. A shame really on just a simple statement on diversity and how the premier league looks to a global audience.

He was fucking shite too.

Is it a diversity issue or a choice issue for whatever reason? When my lad was playing footy regularly - sadly Fortnite has replaced the game for him now - we had plenty of younger referees and while it was a decent mix of male and female, they were all white. There were plenty of BAME kids playing in the teams and in the league he was in and young black lads were very well represented when he was at Man Citys academy.

Only the FA can answer the question on how many BAME apply to train as refs.
Jurgen YNWA

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2450 on: September 17, 2020, 12:39:22 pm »
Ants take power naps 

Seems everything needs anti-pigeon spikes these days.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2451 on: September 17, 2020, 06:09:50 pm »
He was fucking shite too.

Is it a diversity issue or a choice issue for whatever reason? When my lad was playing footy regularly - sadly Fortnite has replaced the game for him now - we had plenty of younger referees and while it was a decent mix of male and female, they were all white. There were plenty of BAME kids playing in the teams and in the league he was in and young black lads were very well represented when he was at Man Citys academy.

Only the FA can answer the question on how many BAME apply to train as refs.

I doubt it is truly a diversity issue. I am sure refs are promoted on merit. It just seems a shame that so few BAME people seem interested, just like in your comment. In some areas BAME are very well represented and in others less so. It just seems a shame that predominately only one skin tone is interested and in turn is shown on the TV every week.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2452 on: September 18, 2020, 02:57:32 pm »
The Liver Birds have names.  :o

Bella & Bertie..

Bella looks out to the sea and Bertie looks over the city.
'Help' graffiti was recently discovered on one of their wings..is the culprit Billy 1995?  :D

https://www.explore-liverpool.com/liver-bird-secret-discovery-prompts-help-from-rlb360-tour/
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2453 on: September 18, 2020, 03:10:04 pm »
Thiago's dad is the third person doing the baby celebration with Bebeto and Romario at the 1994 World Cup.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2454 on: September 18, 2020, 04:01:52 pm »
The Liver Birds have names.  :o

Bella & Bertie..

Bella looks out to the sea and Bertie looks over the city.
'Help' graffiti was recently discovered on one of their wings..is the culprit Billy 1995?  :D

https://www.explore-liverpool.com/liver-bird-secret-discovery-prompts-help-from-rlb360-tour/

My auld feller knows them , they were scaffolders up there mid 70s , he seen the article last week and called me to tell me about it and he’d dug the pic out .

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2455 on: September 18, 2020, 04:13:28 pm »
Heard this on Pointless last night.

Patrick Moore of the Sky at Night claimed (this cannot be verified) that he was the only person alive who had met Orville Wright, Yuri Gagarin and Neil Armstrong.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2456 on: September 18, 2020, 07:09:33 pm »

My auld feller knows them , they were scaffolders up there mid 70s , he seen the article last week and called me to tell me about it and he’d dug the pic out .

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

brilliant picture. great bit of history

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2457 on: September 18, 2020, 07:54:01 pm »

There are healthy and safety people looking at that and having heart attacks
Jurgen YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2458 on: September 19, 2020, 06:32:02 pm »
Blood is red so why are your veins blue?

Because light has to penetrate the skin to illuminate them, blue and red light (being of different wavelengths) penetrate with different degrees of success. What makes it back to your eye is the blue light

Learnt that today I did  :wave

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2459 on: September 20, 2020, 12:04:01 am »
Heard this on Pointless last night.

Patrick Moore of the Sky at Night claimed (this cannot be verified) that he was the only person alive who had met Orville Wright, Yuri Gagarin and Neil Armstrong.

The man was a UKIP poster boy but I loved him to bits and cried my guts out when he died.  If he says it, I believe him!

Popcorn's Art

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2460 on: September 20, 2020, 11:51:00 pm »
There are healthy and safety people looking at that and having heart attacks

I'm looking at that and having a heart attack.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2461 on: September 21, 2020, 03:22:29 pm »

Madness, to put that photo in a bit of perspective..

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2462 on: September 22, 2020, 10:30:51 am »
Back in 79

The tour is also renowned for its use of new technology; because of Bush's determination to dance as she sang, her stage sound engineer Martin Fisher rigged a wireless headset microphone using a wire clothes hanger, making her the first singer to use such a device on stage.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2463 on: September 25, 2020, 09:07:50 am »
Ross County have five players with the first name Ross in their squad !

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2464 on: September 25, 2020, 06:19:44 pm »
Kyle Hill of The Facility shared this 4k video of his homemade uranium radiation cloud chamber.  Inside you can see the tracks left by the decay particles.  It's pretty cool.  If you check out his youtube channel there are details on how you can make your own - apparently they're pretty easy to make. (I'm sure it's relatively easy to get dry ice and uranium ore lol)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r4gaeXzLNDo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r4gaeXzLNDo</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2465 on: September 26, 2020, 03:20:20 pm »
Kyle Hill of The Facility shared this 4k video of his homemade uranium radiation cloud chamber.  Inside you can see the tracks left by the decay particles.  It's pretty cool.  If you check out his youtube channel there are details on how you can make your own - apparently they're pretty easy to make. (I'm sure it's relatively easy to get dry ice and uranium ore lol)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r4gaeXzLNDo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r4gaeXzLNDo</a>
This reminds me of a story I once heard of a guy been arrested for attempting to split the atom...In his kitchen  ;D

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2466 on: September 27, 2020, 09:38:57 pm »
First of all nice to see the thread name change.

Gulley was a great poster who will be sorely missed.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/23/new-book-reveals-truth-behind-this-famed-fall-of-saigon-photo/?fbclid=IwAR0uXkJfSCtDGrENYh9-F18BtIRcI_eQme0HOUQQAhVfNRlRjb97QbqOlC4

I knew most of this, but i live round the corner! Cool story about the most iconic photo of the war or one of certainly.
YNWA

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2467 on: September 29, 2020, 01:32:21 pm »
Possibly a bit sombre for the ‘well I never knew that’ thread, but I read a story this week about a firefighter in New York who was killed in the 9/11 attacks.
When I read the background about this guy, I couldn’t believe it, the bravery, determination, courage from this firefighter, it genuinely made me think because when he died, he was the same age as me, 42.

Timmy Stackpole was a 20-year veteran of the FDNY (Fire Department of New York City), had a wife and five kids and was a native of Brooklyn.
Apparently the two things he cherished the most was his family and the fire department. He was legendary amongst his comrades and was known by the nickname ‘Jobs’ because he loved jobs (firefighters refer to a serious fire as a ‘job’).

At a huge Brooklyn apartment house blaze in the summer of 1998, he heard that a woman was trapped inside. Without hesitation, he and two colleagues did what firefighters do: they ran into the flames to save someone.

While the three firefighters were inside, the floor collapsed without warning. “My whole body was trapped up to my neck,” Stackpole said in an official report. “The fire was still roaring all around us … I remember the excruciating pain in my ankles, burned to the bone. And I remember just praying to God: Just let me die bravely.”

Stackpole and his colleagues, Lt. James Blackmore and Capt. Scott LaPiedra, were trapped in the fire for almost a half-hour. “I had this tremendous sadness that I wasn’t going to see my children again, growing up, walking my daughter down the aisle,” he says.

Thirty-four of his colleagues put their own lives at risk to save the three men. They got them out, but Blackmore died at the scene. Stackpole and LaPiedra were rushed into ambulances with terrible burns. Sadly, LaPiedra didn’t make it and Stackpole suffered burns to over 40% of his body. For 66 days this brave man fought unimaginable pain, learnt to walk again, against all the odds came back stronger.
He could have retired from the Fire Department with a substantial pension, he could have opted for a desk job, but Lt. Stackpole chose to go back to the frontline and in March of 2001 he was back riding fire engines.

A few months later, September to be exact, he was promoted to Captain, the pinnacle of his career, a milestone after everything he’d been through to overcome his injuries.
He was assigned to the busy Truck 103 in Brooklyn and his first day as a Captain was Monday 10th September.

On Tuesday 11th September he responded to the World Trade Centre and had just managed to exit the towers when it collapsed, and he was killed.
You read about a person like him and your own problems pale into insignificance.

As I say, I found it a sad but fascinating story about a man who in my opinion had balls of absolute steel.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2468 on: September 29, 2020, 05:49:26 pm »
^ that's really sad - sometimes life just shits on you

:(

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2469 on: September 29, 2020, 05:57:23 pm »
Have A Cigar on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album is actually sung by Roy Harper

now some of you Floydies might have known that but I didn't - I always thought it was Roger Waters

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2470 on: September 29, 2020, 07:27:29 pm »
^ that's really sad - sometimes life just shits on you

:(

That is really sad that.

Mate of a mate was in FDNY, lived through 9/11 and then a few years ago fell off a ladder appliance on a routine shout and died.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2471 on: September 30, 2020, 07:46:42 am »
That is really sad that.

Mate of a mate was in FDNY, lived through 9/11 and then a few years ago fell off a ladder appliance on a routine shout and died.

Was that a guy called Bill Tolley? He was the drummer for a band called Internal Bleeding? I was in New York when that happened, really, really sad.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2472 on: September 30, 2020, 09:31:39 am »
Was that a guy called Bill Tolley? He was the drummer for a band called Internal Bleeding? I was in New York when that happened, really, really sad.

Yeah that's him, mate of mine is mates with the band.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2473 on: September 30, 2020, 07:48:28 pm »
Have A Cigar on Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album is actually sung by Roy Harper

now some of you Floydies might have known that but I didn't - I always thought it was Roger Waters

There was an argument among the Pink Floyd members who would sing it and, of course, Roger Water wanted to be him most of the other team members were against. As I recall, there were also variations of the tune they disagreed on. So Roy Harper stepped in and said "I'll sing it" and they used Roger Waters variation of the melody. Surprisingly, they all liked it despite their initial reservations.   
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2474 on: September 30, 2020, 08:02:50 pm »

Love them, it's probably my favourite Floyd album, I've got the LP with the original postcard and I never noticed that.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2475 on: October 1, 2020, 08:27:00 am »
Just dawned on me that I was 2 years old the last time Liverpool started a European campaign as league champions
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2476 on: October 6, 2020, 03:47:12 pm »
Danny Welbeck..just released/terminated contract at Watford.....has 42 caps for England:o

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2477 on: October 8, 2020, 03:27:41 am »
The guitar solo in Beat It by Michael Jackson was Eddie Van Halen. (Source BBC News).

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #2478 on: October 9, 2020, 01:03:47 am »
The guitar solo in Beat It by Michael Jackson was Eddie Van Halen. (Source BBC News).

Incredible song all round.

The isolated vocal from Beat It is spinechilling.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2479 on: October 9, 2020, 01:26:24 am »
He played it for free too (if not counting the case of beer). When Michael Jackson left for a break, Eddie rearranged the rest of the song. Eddie told Michael, he liked it, and the rest is history.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."